X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    She is so **** smug!

And you should really watch that Recalculating when you're out in the boonies somewhere. A couple of years ago, a couple of ladies got lost out in Death Valley because their GPS kept changing routes on them, which lead to them driving around in circles and running out of gas with no supplies to be staying out in the middle of Death Valley with. They where lucky to be found by a helicopter from the CHP.
    Rand McNally would've saved them.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Pretty cool little roadster and a nice build.

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sal...80/X7mVlcqmCjU
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        Pretty cool little roadster and a nice build.

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sal...80/X7mVlcqmCjU
        Tiger > Cobra IMHO. Maxwell Smart would agree.

I briefly owned and tried to restore a racing Sunbeam Alpine back in my misspent youth, but had to sell it when I lost the garage space. I ran a Bugeye Sprite for two summers. Fun little buggy!

How about a million dollar car-B-Q
        http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/29...at-gas-station

A rare, $1-million super car suddenly became too hot for a Dragon to handle, after it caught fire at a Caledon gas station on Sunday.

Michael Wekerle, one of the judges on the CBC show Dragons' Den, saw his brand new Porsche 918 Spyder go up in flames at an Esso gas station, according to a CBC statement.
        Last edited by SteveP; 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM.
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Hmmmm

@WTOP: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles announces it will spin off sports car maker Ferrari http://bit.ly/ZZVSnM http://twitter.com/WTOP/status/52749...439425/photo/1
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
            People shouldn't entirely rely on GPS. On occasion, GPS gets things wrong, or there's a detour or something. I've heard of people who rely entirely on GPS getting way off course for their destination. Having a good map or three on hand makes a lot of sense.
            Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            I use GPS/Google Maps before I leave to get an idea of where I'm going, then I print out or write down the directions/major turns. One less thing to pay attention to - for one of those dadgummed spoiled entitled Millennials, I'm alarmingly one-track minded.
            The thing about GPS, for me, is that people (read: my mother-in-law, so this isn't about entitled Millennials) who rely exclusively on them to navigate tend to sort of disengage their brains from the task of driving and wait to be told what to do. This strikes me as bad for navigation purposes (you're not looking at what's around you, you don't have a sense of how far it is until you have to take a turn/exit/etc., signs about detours don't register for you) and safety purposes (anything that makes you mentally detached from your surroundings decreases your reaction time, to say nothing of the need to look away from the road and at a screen instead). I'd much rather have a route in my head beforehand (road names/numbers, exit numbers) and if I get confused I can always pull over and consult my phone.

More than that, I can't understand people who won't follow directions they've been given by another person and need to use the GPS instead. A local will always know better than Google Maps the best way to get somewhere in their area; an event venue will always know the simplest route from a highway. Trust people.

(I'm a map nerd, in addition to various other forms of nerdery, and I love a road atlas, but I'm not typically confident that a printed source will be current. Good to have as a backup though.)
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Double post since it's completely unrelated to my previous one: anyone have any firsthand experience with the Camry Hybrid, particularly the generation from 2012-current? I have no reservations about the Camry in general, asking about the Hybrid specifically.
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                People are amazed that I don't use a GPS, yet can drive anywhere using an atlas that I got for signing up for State Farm Insurance back in 2001...
                I gave someone who is "GPS dependent" directions to my place one time when they didn't have their GPS crutch with them. I said, "Take Exit < number > off I-< number > and go west miles. There's a stop sign there. From there go north < number > miles ... " at which point the person asked me, "What do you mean 'west' and 'north' and how will I know how many miles I've gone?".

< facepalm >
                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 10-29-2014, 12:12 PM.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  I gave someone who is "GPS dependent" directions to my place one time when they didn't have their GPS crutch with them. I said, "Take Exit < number > off I-< number > and go west miles. There's a stop sign there. From there go north < number > miles ... " at which point the person asked me, "What do you mean 'west' and 'north' and how will I know how many miles I've gone?".

< facepalm >
                  you know, since I've had the GPS I haven't had to deal with this... but my odometer doesn't report in tenths... just whole numbers. Now, the trip odometer does... but it seems to me if one can report with a decimal why not the other? Probably not enough display space.
                  Last edited by Patman; 10-29-2014, 01:22 PM.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    you know, since I've had the GPS I haven't had to deal with this... but my odometer doesn't report in tenths... just whole numbers. Now, the trip odometer does... but it seems to me if one can report with a decimal why not the other? Probably not enough display space.
                    It is largely about the display space. They made the odometers with only six wheels back in the day because it had to fit within the controls cluster. They didn't have a lot of space within those clusters, not for a very long time. Also, nobody expected people to drive 1,000,000 miles in a car, but 100,000 was almost commonplace. And really, what good does know the tenths-of-a-mile do you when you're talking about the life of a car in total? The trip-ometer had to have the decimal as you're looking at smaller numbers, doing more math with them, and gauging the tenths of a mile to know when to turn. It's all highly logical as to how these different readouts developed, if you pay attention to the history of the technology.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      It is largely about the display space. They made the odometers with only six wheels back in the day because it had to fit within the controls cluster. They didn't have a lot of space within those clusters, not for a very long time. Also, nobody expected people to drive 1,000,000 miles in a car, but 100,000 was almost commonplace. And really, what good does know the tenths-of-a-mile do you when you're talking about the life of a car in total? The trip-ometer had to have the decimal as you're looking at smaller numbers, doing more math with them, and gauging the tenths of a mile to know when to turn. It's all highly logical as to how these different readouts developed, if you pay attention to the history of the technology.
                      The more computer screen like my dash becomes the more I question the need to remove a decimal

edit: and I don't bother with the trip thingy... because, really, who does?
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        The more computer screen like my dash becomes the more I question the need to remove a decimal

edit: and I don't bother with the trip thingy... because, really, who does?
                        I use the trip-ometer each and every time I fuel up because knowing what sort of driving I've been doing and what my MPG is will tell me if there's something wrong with the engine. Since my vehicle also has a Trip A and Trip B, I use Trip B to track when I need to change my oil. AND, since my car now has other features attached to my fuel gauge and trip-ometer, when I reset it, my car will also track the estimated miles remaining in my current gas tank, my current MPG for my current tank of gas, and a couple other operations that automatically track things I used to do on my own.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

< facepalm >
                          Ugh. I rely on landmarks. Sometimes directional instructions (north, south, etc). For example, getting to bbdl's place, I still use: after the first bend, but before the second bend, take a right. Go to stop sign, take a right. I'm there. There are no streetlights where he is, so cannot see street signs in the dark.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Ugh. I rely on landmarks. Sometimes directional instructions (north, south, etc). For example, getting to bbdl's place, I still use: after the first bend, but before the second bend, take a right. Go to stop sign, take a right. I'm there. There are no streetlights where he is, so cannot see street signs in the dark.
                            That's how women navigate. Truly. Survey after survey have shown that most men (except for Brent, apparently) navigate using directions and street signs while women admit to a heavy reliance upon "when you get to the place with a bunch of trees" landmark direction.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              That's how women navigate. Truly. Survey after survey have shown that most men (except for Brent, apparently) navigate using directions and street signs while women admit to a heavy reliance upon "when you get to the place with a bunch of trees" landmark direction.
                              Not to sound boastful, but having a great sense of direction personally, street signs and mile counts are fine by me, but when I'm giving directions to someone, I'd much sooner use landmarks. Absent any prior knowledge about how good the person is at navigation, it seems the safer bet, not to mention possible issues with reading street signs that might be hard to read after dark or if they're obscured by trees or whatever else. Plus, similar to what I said about GPS, I think looking for landmarks rather than glancing back and forth at the odometer is better for a driver keeping their eyes on the road.

tl;dr: Better off dumbing it down for people where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                                Not to sound boastful, but having a great sense of direction personally, street signs and mile counts are fine by me, but when I'm giving directions to someone, I'd much sooner use landmarks. Absent any prior knowledge about how good the person is at navigation, it seems the safer bet, not to mention possible issues with reading street signs that might be hard to read after dark or if they're obscured by trees or whatever else. Plus, similar to what I said about GPS, I think looking for landmarks rather than glancing back and forth at the odometer is better for a driver keeping their eyes on the road.

tl;dr: Better off dumbing it down for people where possible.
                                When giving directions, I'll usually drop in a landmark too, if there is a notable one nearby. It'll be something like, Continue south until you get to 157th St, just past the (insert restaurant), and turn left.

Comment

Working...
                                X