Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    ... Harris has garnered interest from the Saint John Sea Dogs, Halifax Mooseheads, and the Gatineau Olympiques of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League...
    Garnering interest and playing games are 2 completely different animals
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      Garnering interest and playing games are 2 completely different animals
      I was thinking there might be a school in "New England" who might be interested
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Cardinals debut against Mustangs {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Oct. 29, 2011}

The Cardinals open the 2011-12 season at Morrisville today, and that's just the first of several upcoming road trips.

Plattsburgh State plays its first four games — all SUNY Athletic Conference contests — away from home and won't host a matchup at Stafford Ice Arena until Nov. 18.

"It makes it harder. But then again, we gotta take it one game at a time," junior defenseman Mike Grace said. "We've got a ton of games on the road this year. So start off with four, it will just be good for us (to) get used to it."

Plattsburgh's roster includes 12 freshmen and a sophomore transfer, and some of those newcomers might be relied upon even earlier than usual because five upperclassmen will miss the early part of the season.

Coach Bob Emery said the players are serving suspensions ranging from three to eight games for infractions dating back to the spring.

In addition, Emery said a couple of freshmen will be held out of today's game because of a lack of on-ice discipline during an exhibition against the U.S. NTDP Under-18 Team Oct. 15. The Cardinals took three major penalties in that game, and Emery said the new players have had to learn the culture of the program

"We're going to be a disciplined team one way or another," he said. "I don't know who's going to be on it, but we're going to have a disciplined team."

But he still wants to see the physical play Plattsburgh displayed against the U-18 squad.

"As a coach, you have to make sure your teams continuously play aggressive," Emery said. "We want to be physical. We have to be physical to be successful.

"But you can't be dumb tough, for lack of a better term. You gotta be tough, but you gotta be smart tough."

The Cardinals lost their top two scorers, Eric Satim and Dylan Clarke, from the team that went 20-8-1 last year before being eliminated in the NCAA quarterfinals. But the next six players on last year's scoring list are back, including sophomore Nick Jensen (third last season with eight goals and 14 assists).

Ryan Corry was one of five seniors last year, and fellow defensemen Cody Adams did not return. That leaves the Cardinals with four returning blueliners and four freshmen.

Grace, the top-scoring defenseman last year, and senior forward Ryan Craig both said the new players are fitting in well.

"I think they're all doing a pretty good job out there," said Craig, who had 19 points in 17 games as a junior. "Everyone's learning our systems; it's not taking a while. I think everyone looks great out there so far.

"So I'm looking forward to (today) to see how they all do."

Josh Leis, now a junior, went 17-5-1 in goal last season. He's competing with sophomore Sam Foley, who made two appearances in 2010-11, and Mathieu Cadieux, who was at Division I Quinnipiac for a year before returning to his junior team last season. Emery said he'd name today's starter this morning.

"We feel as though we have a lot of competition in net, and whoever it may be can do the job," he added. "I'm going to start the year off playing different combinations in net, I'll tell you that."

Plattsburgh ended Morrisville's 2010-11 season with a 4-3 overtime victory in the SUNYAC tournament. The Mustangs lost three of their top five scorers as well as their No. 1 goaltender.

The Cardinals, who went 9-7 in conference play last year but won their third championship in four years, were picked second in the SUNYAC Preseason Coaches Poll, with one first-place vote. They received one more point than Geneseo and nine fewer than first-place Oswego.

Plattsburgh is ranked fifth in the USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll.

"I think we look good this year, so I would expect to be right up there in the SUNYAC standings and right there for the championship and absolutely for the NCAA tournament," Grace said. "So that's what I'm hoping for.

"I still think the SUNYAC's the hardest league in D-III hockey. But then again, we're one of the best teams in D-III hockey, so I think we'll be right up there."
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Cardinals defeat Morrisville in season opener {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Oct. 30, 2011}

MORRISVILLE — After a high-scoring first period Saturday, Plattsburgh State's defense tightened up a little and its offense continued to produce.

The Cardinals overcame two first-period deficits to open their season with a 6-4 win over Morrisville in SUNY Athletic Conference men's hockey.

Freshman Mark Constantine debuted with two goals, and senior Kyle Kudroch scored two in the third to seal it.

Coach Bob Emery said it was a decent season-opening performance, but the Cardinals have to learn from the first period.

"I think some people had first-game jitters. We couldn't keep pucks on our sticks in our own end and coughed them up," he said. "We got better in that area. The first period we had a lot of turnovers in our own end, and that led to good chances for Morrisville."

Emery added that giving up four goals is unacceptable.

After Curtis Renaud gave Morrisville the lead 4:58 into the game, Vick Schlueter and Constantine tallied five minutes apart to put Plattsburgh in front. Renaud and Jamie Nelson then netted back-to-back goals for the Mustangs, and Barry Roytman tied it 49 seconds before the busy period ended.

Roytman and Schlueter, who both finished with two points, scored on the power play.

Constantine gave the Cardinals a 4-3 edge in the middle of the second with their third power-play goal.

"I thought we did a real good job moving the puck on the power play," Emery said. "Certain guys played really well on the power play. We were opportunistic.

"Those are things we haven't had the past couple of years. We've had good games where we weren't opportunistic taking advantage of scoring chances."

In the third, Kudroch lit the lamp twice in a span of 2:25, and Morrisville's Rafal Plonski wrapped up the scoring.

Colin Breen made 35 saves for the Mustangs (1-1), who beat Potsdam on Friday.

Mathieu Cadieux stopped 31 shots in Plattsburgh's net.

Mike Grace earned two assists. The Cardinals held a 42-35 advantage in shots, including 21-9 in the second period.

"Offensively, we played well all game," Emery said. "We were good on the rush and pretty good on the cycle."

Emery preached discipline during the preseason, and Plattsburgh took just two penalties Saturday
          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

All is quiet, so i'll add my two cents since I went to the Morrisville game. The team looked alright; can't play like that against teams like Oswego and expect to win. With that said, they seemed to be working out some kinks and remember, 75% of the lineup were newcomers, so creating chemistry and adjusting to this level of hockey was apparent.
            The Morrisville goalie (Breen) had a heck of time holding on to any rebounds, resulting in a lot of chances for Plattsburgh offensively around the net.

I was impressed with Beadow on D...he made a couple of nice plays and was able to move the puck down the ice with ease...nice hard slap shot too! Of course, Constantine played well and created a lot of scoring opportunities. He's gonna be a nice addition on the PP this year. This team is pretty aggressive too, more checking than usual. It was nice to see some aggressiveness, but disciplined agressiveness, if that makes any sense.

Cadieux was OKAY. I'm not a big fan of him deflecting rebounds out in front; he's gonna get burned that way down the line. I thought maybe half the goals he could have prevented, but he really seemed to settle down after the 1st period.

Roytman looked much much improved, and I love Schlueter's style of play. Vanzant is probably extremely sore because every time i looked he was getting popped into the boards. Their 4th line (Gidaro, Blake, Cassidy) was extremely quiet, but I think with some more time they can make a little noise.

Finally, Loudhorns, it was a pleasure to finally meet you!

Comment

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy defense in the first period which led to 2 of the 3 Morrisville goals. I put the first goal on Cadieux as he didn't seem to hold the post tight enough and allowed the puck to squirt in. I believe the 3rd goal was just a **** poor play by the defense as they turned the puck over at the blue line and allowed an easy 2-1 that was poorly played by the d-man. Cadieux made the initial save but allowed a rebound that was hammered home.

While Roytman did look much improved, he had a horrible overall game. hopefully it was just first game jitters and he can settle in because along with Grace he is going to need to step up and help lead this young defense.
              Jim Reisdorf
              Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

I listened to the game on the radio , hard to get a feel for whether the game was well played or not (my sense is not )but on the PLUS side ......if we played relatively poorly and we still won that's a big improvement over last season . Last season it seemed the theme was "we out shot and out skated teams but couldnt get the W at times .

Hey a Win is a Win . The team is in a mess with the numerous suspensions preventing the coaching staff from " match ups and potential line pairings that will certainly be considered as the suspensions are served.

I was a little surprised by Cadieux getting the nod ,but again a win is a win. Curious to know why he leaned towards Cadieux over Leis ......wonder if he will shed light on BTB

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalSin View Post
                  I listened to the game on the radio , hard to get a feel for whether the game was well played or not (my sense is not )but on the PLUS side ......if we played relatively poorly and we still won that's a big improvement over last season . Last season it seemed the theme was "we out shot and out skated teams but couldnt get the W at times .

Hey a Win is a Win . The team is in a mess with the numerous suspensions preventing the coaching staff from " match ups and potential line pairings that will certainly be considered as the suspensions are served.

I was a little surprised by Cadieux getting the nod ,but again a win is a win. Curious to know why he leaned towards Cadieux over Leis ......wonder if he will shed light on BTB

from what I've heard from a couple people who heard the pregame show is that Bob thought Cadieux played the best in the action that he has seen. He was not scored on by the US Under 18 team and apparently played well in the Red/White game.
                  Jim Reisdorf
                  Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

I missed the pre-game show ..... but that sounds like Bob . It sure would be nice to have a clear cut Number One in nets , my sense is this wont be the year either.

Comment

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
                      from what I've heard from a couple people who heard the pregame show is that Bob thought Cadieux played the best in the action that he has seen. He was not scored on by the US Under 18 team and apparently played well in the Red/White game.
                      This is true.
                      Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                      1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                      21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

I was just taking a look at Bobby's respective power play units. PSUC was three for six on the PP Saturday night. Looks like he has some faith in Mark Constantine and Jake Mooney.

- Vick Schlueter, Nick Jensen, Ryan Craig, Alex Jensen, and Mike Grace.

- Mark Constantine, Daniel Cobb, Jake Mooney, Kyle Kudroch, and Barry Roytman.
                        Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                        1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                        21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                          I was just taking a look at Bobby's respective power play units. PSUC was three for six on the PP Saturday night. Looks like he has some faith in Mark Constantine and Jake Mooney.

- Vick Schlueter, Nick Jensen, Ryan Craig, Alex Jensen, and Mike Grace.

- Mark Constantine, Daniel Cobb, Jake Mooney, Kyle Kudroch, and Barry Roytman.
                          Cobb was horrible on the PP...he didnt look comfortable at all, and he made some terrible passes. Hopefully when Jobb or Farnan come back they can fill that spot.

Comment

I like Farnan on the PP , I could see him having a breakout season ,I think he has some skills that are going to be more evident than last season. Also Cobb may be an odd man out when the roster is complete . Just my opinion , but I have felt that way since the first game.

Comment

So, who is going to Potsdam? Hope there is a good cheering crowd there for Plattsburgh. Let's make some noise!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Birds View Post
                                So, who is going to Potsdam? Hope there is a good cheering crowd there for Plattsburgh. Let's make some noise!!!!
                                Just pulled into the Burgh....
                                Remy Babineaux
                                remyb616@gmail.com
                                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                                X