Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Has anyone mentioned that Bob Emery is seven wins away from 500?
    Plattsburgh State Cardinals
    1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
    21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

A RIP and fairwell Thank You to Mr. Richard B. “Rick” Knowles, Jr. - Rick covered Plattsburgh State Hockey for many years on WEAV and passed away unexpectedly Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at the CVPH Medical Center with family by his side.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        A RIP and fairwell Thank You to Mr. Richard B. “Rick” Knowles, Jr. - Rick covered Plattsburgh State Hockey for many years on WEAV and passed away unexpectedly Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at the CVPH Medical Center with family by his side.
        What a shocker! May God Bless him and his family. I worked with Rick at Bill McBride Chevy back in the 90s and had many great conversations about local sports including PSUC hockey.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

JEFFERSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN WATERTOWN TO BEGIN LIVE STREAMING BASKETBALL GAMES! Come on PSUC, join the 21st century!

Article below from Watertown Daily Times

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...9957/-1/sports

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            JEFFERSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN WATERTOWN TO BEGIN LIVE STREAMING BASKETBALL GAMES! Come on PSUC, join the 21st century!

Article below from Watertown Daily Times

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...9957/-1/sports
            Ouch thats gotta hurt

Comment

Jensens team up at Plattsburgh State {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 6, 2012}

Growing up, Nick Jensen, older and bigger, pushed brother Alex around sometimes.

"Oh, you always gotta give him a little hard time — he's my little brother," Nick said. "So whenever we had a little argument, I would always beat him up a little bit. As we got older, he got stronger and definitely gave me a little bit more of a fight."

They're now 22 and 21, and Nick is still bigger — by two inches and five pounds. But they seem to be getting along pretty well these days.

Alex, a freshman, followed Nick to Plattsburgh State, and they've been on the same line much of the season.

Nick said playing together has been "a pleasure," and Alex said his brother has helped him adjust to college hockey. "He's made the transition pretty smooth so far," Alex added.

The European imports skated with freshman Alex Brenton last weekend, and the trio combined for 8 points as the Cardinals defeated Babson and Castleton to win the Cardinal Classic.

No. 4 Castleton (11-2) returns to Stafford Ice Arena tonight for a rematch with the third-ranked Cardinals (8-2-3), who will host Skidmore in another nonconference men's hockey game Saturday.

Nick became Plattsburgh's leading scorer last week with 12 points (five goals and seven assists in 13 games). Alex, who made the Cardinal Classic All-Tournament team and was named the SUNY Athletic Conference's Rookie of the Week, has also played in every game this year and has four goals and two assists.

"They have extreme work ethic," Brenton said. "In the gym, off the ice. On the ice, they're always working hard. And they're just incredibly talented."

Nick, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound sophomore, led the Plattsburgh freshmen with eight goals and 14 points last season.

They're both left-handed forwards, but otherwise the brothers are pretty different on the ice.

"We might have a little bit of the same skating style, but play-wise, we're different," Nick said. "We both like to keep the puck a lot, and we both like to give and go all the time; that's pretty much the only similarities we have.

"I'm a little bit stronger, bigger, grittier than he is. And he likes to skate around the outside."

Alex echoed that assessment, saying he's all about playing with speed and putting up points. He said Nick had a big influence on his decision to come to Plattsburgh, as did the coaching staff. And he doesn't mind the little-brother role.

"It kind of makes everything easier," he said of following in Nick's footsteps. "But either you have pressure, or (people) kind of just look for your older brother, which is fine. You're just one of the guys. It's worked for me."

Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said the Jensens communicate well on the ice, and with their different playing styles, they complement each other on a line. But he also hinted that he may separate them — he said he likes to keep his lines from getting stale.

The brothers played on the same teams growing up, and both said they know where the other is going to be on the ice.

And they speak their own language — or at least that's how it can seem to teammates.

"Yeah, it's kind of funny on the bench to sit in between them when they're speaking Swedish or Danish or whatever they speak," Brenton said.

For the record, it's probably Danish. That's their native language — Nick said they lived in Denmark until he was 15 and Alex was 14, when they moved to Sweden. They currently list their hometown as Helsingborg, Sweden.

Nick had planned to stay in Sweden until his dad, René, pointed him toward the United States.

"My dad had the plans for me to play college hockey because he figured if I just played hockey, I wouldn't study anymore," Nick said. "So he figured it would be a good way for me to keep studying and playing hockey. He didn't know about any teams or anything, but he knew it would be a good idea for us.

"But it was a good development for us."

Both brothers played junior hockey in the United States before being recruited to Plattsburgh.

They still speak Danish and Swedish as well as English.

"Depends a little bit how the argument goes," Nick said with a smile. "If it's on the ice, sometimes it comes out to Swedish, but normally on the bench we just speak Danish to each other."

Whatever the language, at least the brotherly arguments are now settled with words instead of fights.

Email Courtney Lewis at: clewis@pressrepublican.com
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Against all odds, video footage of the Cardinals playing hockey is available on the internet. I think the link switches around pretty often, so just head over to http://www.fox44now.com and click on the Sports link for highlights from the second Castleton game.

Edit: And as I write this, the video goes down. Hopefully they'll fix it by the time people read this.
                Last edited by Dyce; 01-07-2012, 12:56 AM.
                Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                Some National Championships:
                Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Cards edge Spartans again {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 7, 2012}

Coach Bob Emery was not happy with the way Plattsburgh State played in its second straight game against Castleton, but the Cardinals still beat the Spartans for a second time.

Alex Jensen and Alex Brenton scored in the third period and Plattsburgh hung on for a 3-2 win in nonconference men's hockey at Stafford Ice Arena.

"We did what we had to do to win the game — that's about it," Emery said. "I thought Castleton took it to us for the second half of the game.

"I thought we played really well and things were coming real easy to us in the offensive end early on. We started forgetting about our own end. And we played terrible for the last 28 minutes in our own end."

Plattsburgh beat Castleton, 2-1, in the Cardinal Classic last Saturday.

The third-ranked Cardinals (9-2-3) host Skidmore tonight.

Matt MacLeod put the Cardinals in front less than three minutes into Friday's second period, beating Castleton goalie Erick Cinotti from the right circle. But Colin Murray poked the puck in to tie the game 5:02 before the intermission.

Plattsburgh came out in the third and scored twice in the first 10 minutes. After coming down on a rush, Jensen jammed the puck in through a crowd at 5:43. He raised his arm and the goal light briefly went on, but the official didn't signal right away.

"We weren't sure it was in, but when I went behind the net I could see it was right across the goal line, so we were all pointing at the ref to make sure he saw it," Jensen said.

Brenton earned the assist on that one, and he later skated into the zone with Michael Cassidy and put the puck high for a 3-1 lead.

But Emery said the Cardinals sat back after that, and Justin Alonzo pulled the fourth-ranked Spartans within a goal with 5:21 left. They pulled Cinotti in the final minute, and Mathieu Cadieux made a solid pad save with 30 seconds left to preserve Plattsburgh's lead.

In last week's game, the Cardinals doubled up the Spartans in shots on goal. But Friday, Castleton held a 26-25 edge, and Emery said the Spartans had way too many scoring opportunities.

"Castleton, if they were more opportunistic, they're going home with the win. Because they had some great chances," Emery said. "They just didn't put them in the back of the net."

Cadieux made 24 saves to earn his third straight win. Cinotti had 22 stops.

Coach Alex Todd said the Spartans (11-3) played a better game than they did last week.

"I think the first goal they scored was a big error on our part, and I think the other goals were just good hockey," he said. "We had some chances. We were hungry; we were trying to score the goal to get the lead, and they counter-attacked and got a good goal."

Players from both teams got into a scrum after the final horn. Castleton's Nick Lazorko was given a major penalty for contact to the head and a 10-minute misconduct. Plattsburgh's Jared Docking also received a 10-minute misconduct.

Plattsburgh State 3, Castleton 2

Castleton 0 1 1 — 2

Plattsburgh 0 1 2 — 3

First period- Penalties: Murray, C (tripping), 1:49. Lazorko, C (unsportsmanlike conduct), 9:28. Jensen, PSU (unsportsmanlike conduct), 10:21.

Second period- 1, PSU, MacLeod (Kudroch), 2:41. 2, C, Murray (Ayers, Gullett), 14:58. Penalties: Alonzo, C (high sticking), 16:48.

Third period- 3, PSU, A. Jensen (Brenton), 5:43. 4, PSU, Brenton (Cassidy), 10:26. 5, C, Alonzo (Frost, Atkins), 14:39. Penalties: Lazorko, C (contact to the head major), 20:00. Lazorko, C (10-minute misconduct), 20:00. Docking, PSU (10-minute misconduct), 20:00.

Shots on goal:

Castleton 6 9 11 — 26

Plattsburgh 7 11 7 — 25

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Cinotti, C, 25-22. Cadieux, PSU, 26-24.

Power plays (goals-opportunities): Castleton 0-1; Plattsburgh 0-3.

Attendance: 1,824.

Email Courtney Lewis at: clewis@pressrepublican.com
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Plattsburgh State has converted 4 goals in their last 52 power play opportunities.

Should we be concerned?
                    Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                    1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                    21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

I didn`t get to watch last night`s game...so last years scoring Spartans Alonzo and Harris didn`t impact the game? They had no points

Comment

Originally posted by Collegeman View Post
                        I didn`t get to watch last night`s game...so last years scoring Spartans Alonzo and Harris didn`t impact the game? They had no points
                        Alonzo scored Castleton's second goal last night.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                          Plattsburgh State has converted 4 goals in their last 52 power play opportunities.

Should we be concerned?
                          I say no cause we are winning against good teams without scoring on the power play! Imagine if we scored on some of the power plays we may be doing more then just winning! This is surely not a good stat to see, but it is something that will no doubt turn around. In my opinion this seems like a very young but immensely talented team. We have plenty of time, even before the end of this season to turn around this little thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post

Should we be concerned?
                            Castleton showed they know how to kill the power play, but this season they have taken 85 penalties for 195 minutes versus Plattsburgh's 47 penalties for 113 minutes, perhaps practice makes perfect.

Note that Castleton's opponents have taken 78 penalties for 238 minutes versus Plattsburgh's 79 penalties for 199 minutes.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

On a seperate note did anybody watch the last HBO 24/7 on the Winter Classic and see a cameo of a former Plattsburgh State Cardinal?

Comment

Not sure if it's been discussed yet but next year's Cardinal Classic field is as follows:

Plattsburgh, Elmira, Amherst, Wesleyan.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X