Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Cards look to stop Lakers' streak in rivalry {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Dec. 2, 2011}

Most of the current Cardinals have never beaten Oswego, and they're eager to change that tonight.

Only four current players — seniors Kyle Taylor, Kyle Kudroch, Vick Schlueter and Matt MacLeod — were on the men's hockey team March 7, 2009, when Plattsburgh State last recorded a win in the heated rivalry. Since then, it has lost five straight to the Lakers.

That record bothers the Cardinals, who host Oswego and then meet fellow SUNY Athletic Conference opponent Cortland on Saturday.

"Oh, definitely. It's frustrating. It's our biggest rival," junior Patrick Jobb said. "They're a hell of a team, and it'd be nice to win one this weekend against them for sure. I've never beaten them, so hopefully this weekend's the weekend."

To turn things around today, the sixth-ranked Cardinals (5-2-1, 5-1 SUNYAC) will have to put the puck in the net, something they haven't done in 160 minutes and one second. They failed to score against Norwich or Middlebury during last weekend's PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout — the first time Plattsburgh had ever been shut out in consecutive games.

The Cardinals' last goal came in the second period Nov.19 against Geneseo.

Through its first six games, Plattsburgh had a healthy 4.67 goals-per-game average, and the recent drought hasn't changed coach Bob Emery's defense-first philosophy.

"No, I still believe it all starts and ends with defense," he said. "I'm hoping we can start getting some goals by accident."

Jobb added that the Cardinals haven't put any extra emphasis on offense in practice this week.

"I think we're just sticking to our game, what we've been doing all season pretty much," the forward said. "And just capitalizing on our chances, that's the main thing, I think.

"I don't think creating the chances is the problem; I think we just gotta bear down and make sure they go in."

At the other end of the ice, Mathieu Cadieux and Josh Leis each played one game in net last week, and Emery said he wasn't planning to name the starter for the Oswego game until today.

No. 2 Oswego (7-1-1, 5-0-1) has had to deal with an early setback in goal. After senior Paul Beckwith, last year's starter, was injured in the first game this season, junior Andrew Hare was pressed into duty. Hare, who appeared in two games last year, has a .923 save percentage and 1.94 GAA in eight games this season.

The Lakers beat Fredonia and Buffalo State two weeks ago and had last weekend off. The only smudge on their SUNYAC record is a 3-3 tie with Morrisville. Oswego is currently first in the conference with 11 points, and Plattsburgh is one point behind in second place.

Paul Rodrigues and Jon Whitelaw are tied for the team lead with 14 points. Rodrigues and Luke Moodie both have a team-high five goals.

"I know Oswego is probably the most opportunistic team we'll play all year," Emery said. "They can find the back of the net better than anybody. They're probably going to lead the nation in goals for.

"Hopefully we can just battle."

Cortland (3-6-1, 2-3-1) heads into the weekend winless in its last five.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      Loudhorns contacted someone from PSTV and they said there will NOT be an internet broadcast.....looks like we get to watch the Norwich Castleton while we listen to the only game that matters. Was hoping to make the trip North but the docs wont let her travel being so far a long....its up to Ducky and WNYO....
      What a joke, Buff St has webcast for cry'in out loud, new thread.....

Comment

Plattsburgh State skates to tie with Oswego {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Dec. 3, 2011}

The Cardinals still didn't beat Oswego, but they did finally put the puck in the net. And they picked up a point.

The Lakers pulled ahead twice, but Plattsburgh State answered both times for a 2-2 tie in SUNY Athletic Conference men's hockey Friday at Stafford Ice Arena.

"I think it was a good hockey game. I think both teams battled right to the end," Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. "I know when you're at home you're supposed to win, but that's a good hockey team, Oswego, and it's a long season.

"And we gotta learn from that, but be happy with the way we played in the third and try to build off that."

The sixth-ranked Cardinals stopped Oswego's streak of five straight wins in the rivalry, but they still haven't beaten the Lakers since 2009.

Mathieu Cadieux made 34 saves in Plattsburgh's nets, and Andrew Hare had 35 for Oswego.

Plattsburgh (5-2-2, 5-1-1 SUNYAC) plays its last conference game of the semester tonight against Cortland.

The second-ranked Lakers, leading 1-0, had a couple of chances out front at the start of the second period, but Cadieux made two solid saves. Then Paul Puglisi tied the game with his first goal of the year at 1:15.

That ended Plattsburgh's scoring drought, which had stretched to just over 181 minutes spanning almost two weeks.

The goal also kicked off a back-and-forth sequence.

Oswego (7-1-2, 5-0-2) didn't take long to regain the lead, with Chris Ayotte putting in a rebound at 6:06. But Alex Jensen answered for the Cardinals a little over a minute later to knot it at 2-2 with an assist from Patrick Jobb.

Lakers coach Ed Gosek didn't mind the tie but wasn't happy with how the equalizer came about.

"The way in which we surrendered the lead is absolutely disappointing," he said. "We come down on a 3-on-1, and I'm not sure we get a great look. Then the puck turns over, our D pinches in and the kid goes in on a breakaway.

"It's a nice play by them. But there you go, a huge turning point in the game where we could go up by two goals. Instead the game's tied and they got some momentum."

Oswego, which hit the cross bar with about five minutes left, held a 14-7 advantage in shots in the period.

Then the Cardinals came out flying in the third, outshooting the Lakers 10-2 in the first seven minutes. Plattsburgh had a couple of good shots in the last minute of regulation, but Hare stopped them both, including a glove save on a slapshot with 24 seconds left.

"I think the last couple minutes of the second, we turned it around a little bit, and I thought in the third we did a great job," Emery said. "I thought we did a good job on our transition finally, and I thought we did a good job finally getting pucks deep and getting our cycle going."

Plattsburgh had to kill a penalty in the five-minute overtime to keep the game tied.

The first-place Lakers hung onto their one-point lead over the Cardinals in the SUNYAC standings.

Oswego notched the game's first goal on a quick shot by Jon Whitelaw from just outside the crease in the first period. The Lakers came close to making it 2-0 in the final minute of the period, when a long shot hit the far post and landed in the crease. But Cadieux reached back to cover it in time.

Emery said he thought Cadieux played well in his fifth start for the Cardinals.

"We had some costly turnovers in our own end. And Mat was equal to the task and gave us a chance to win, for sure," he said.
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
          Plattsburgh State skates to tie with Oswego {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Dec. 3, 2011}
          It was a great game to listen to on the radio. I just don't understand why Plattsburgh does not have the resources to get a live stream.
          last week I wrote on here that many os us from oswego have been upset that after driving 4.5 hrs to the burgh we then have to wait in line up to 2 hrs. with no guarantee that we can buy tickets. With such a great rivalry, you would think somebody up north would get off their butt and do something to help.

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
            It was a great game to listen to on the radio. I just don't understand why Plattsburgh does not have the resources to get a live stream.
            last week I wrote on here that many os us from oswego have been upset that after driving 4.5 hrs to the burgh we then have to wait in line up to 2 hrs. with no guarantee that we can buy tickets. With such a great rivalry, you would think somebody up north would get off their butt and do something to help.
            No offense here, but I've use to travel the 4.5 hours to Oswego not knowing there would be tickets. I've also arrive around noon to stand in line for tickets. I'm not sure what you want people to do? When what 85% of your tickets are reserved for students and season ticket holders, why should they give the rest to visiting fans? Now if we had 3,000+ seats and or only 50% of the tickets reserved each game then yes. Having a line allows everyone the CHANCE to get a seat for people from outside Plattsburgh to get a ticket. I know I�m not going to drive the 6 hours the Monday or Tuesday before to grab a ticket, but at least this way everyone that needs a ticket can get a ticket that day. For most of us diehard fans yes, as soon as Oswego put their tickets up for sale we purchased them online. However, Oswego has A LOT more tickets available then what Plattsburgh does. Yes its nice that Oswego can offer tickets online, but what about those people who don't know if they can get the time off, or those who unexpectantly get the time off the day before but all the tickets are gone now because they went on sale months prior? It was the first PSU/OSU home game I�ve missed in 20 years. I had planned on driving up Thursday night and standing in line Friday morning to make sure I had tickets.
            Each way has its drawbacks.

Having said that however, Plattsburgh needs to become a leader not a follower. For years Plattsburgh rules Division III media with WIRY being one of the FEW teams in DIII hockey who broadcasted their hockey games not only home but away. There was no such thing as �online broadcasting� and forget video feeds or livestats. Now almost every team has some sort of media, yet Plattsburgh State has sat back and let all these other schools get the coverage and Plattsburgh settles for mediocrity. They have the tools, they have the technology, and while it may not be WNYO standards, a freaking single camera in the pressbox is better then what we had last night in arguably BOTH teams biggest game(s) of the year. Recruiting, Alumni, Parents, Fans, whoever�they missed out because Plattsburgh State would rather settle for being the slow kid on the block who would rather watch what the cool kids are doing instead of going out and doing something first. I know I would have paid some $$$ to watch the game. I�d sure like to know the reasoning because it was said over the summer that Plattsburgh would be video broadcasting their games and even possibly their away games. What happened? Did Primelink and Plattsburgh have a falling out? All it takes is one line in the studio��
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
              No offense here, but I've use to travel the 4.5 hours to Oswego not knowing there would be tickets. I've also arrive around noon to stand in line for tickets. I'm not sure what you want people to do? When what 85% of your tickets are reserved for students and season ticket holders, why should they give the rest to visiting fans? Now if we had 3,000+ seats and or only 50% of the tickets reserved each game then yes. Having a line allows everyone the CHANCE to get a seat for people from outside Plattsburgh to get a ticket. I know I�m not going to drive the 6 hours the Monday or Tuesday before to grab a ticket, but at least this way everyone that needs a ticket can get a ticket that day. For most of us diehard fans yes, as soon as Oswego put their tickets up for sale we purchased them online. However, Oswego has A LOT more tickets available then what Plattsburgh does. Yes its nice that Oswego can offer tickets online, but what about those people who don't know if they can get the time off, or those who unexpectantly get the time off the day before but all the tickets are gone now because they went on sale months prior? It was the first PSU/OSU home game I�ve missed in 20 years. I had planned on driving up Thursday night and standing in line Friday morning to make sure I had tickets.
              Each way has its drawbacks.

Having said that however, Plattsburgh needs to become a leader not a follower. For years Plattsburgh rules Division III media with WIRY being one of the FEW teams in DIII hockey who broadcasted their hockey games not only home but away. There was no such thing as �online broadcasting� and forget video feeds or livestats. Now almost every team has some sort of media, yet Plattsburgh State has sat back and let all these other schools get the coverage and Plattsburgh settles for mediocrity. They have the tools, they have the technology, and while it may not be WNYO standards, a freaking single camera in the pressbox is better then what we had last night in arguably BOTH teams biggest game(s) of the year. Recruiting, Alumni, Parents, Fans, whoever�they missed out because Plattsburgh State would rather settle for being the slow kid on the block who would rather watch what the cool kids are doing instead of going out and doing something first. I know I would have paid some $$$ to watch the game. I�d sure like to know the reasoning because it was said over the summer that Plattsburgh would be video broadcasting their games and even possibly their away games. What happened? Did Primelink and Plattsburgh have a falling out? All it takes is one line in the studio��
              Having spent time with the video crew and their faculty advisor last year, they have more than enough to put on a good show - they just need one piece of gear and some bandwidth....not much $$$ in the scheme of things....and they know where they can get some (free) help sorting that out....
              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Cardinals roll over Cortland {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Dec. 4, 2011}

Kyle Taylor called Plattsburgh State's first period Saturday "rough," and coach Bob Emery said the Cardinals' effort was "subpar."

But they quickly pulled ahead in the second period and then took control of the game.

Plattsburgh scored three goals in the second on its way to a 6-1 win over Cortland in SUNY Athletic Conference men's hockey at Stafford Ice Arena. Taylor tallied twice, and Jared Docking earned three assists.

Cortland tied the game with a short-handed goal in the final minute of the first period, and Emery said that woke up No. 6 Plattsburgh (6-2-2, 6-1-1 SUNYAC).

"I thought we moved the puck well in the offensive zone (Saturday)," Emery said. "Puck possession was real key for us in the offensive zone."

The Cardinals, who were coming off a tie with archrival Oswego the night before, wrapped up their first-semester SUNYAC schedule in second place, one point behind the Lakers. Plattsburgh won't play another conference game until Jan. 21. It has one game left before the semester break, a non-conference contest at Norwich next week.

The Cardinals scored more goals Saturday than they had in their last four games combined.

"We all feel pretty confident after this weekend. We got three points, and that's what matters," Taylor said. "The goals, we knew they would come. We were just working hard. We knew they'd come, and we got 'em.

"And hopefully we can take that forward to Friday night."

Taylor put Plattsburgh back in front just 43 seconds into the second period with assists from Kyle Kudroch and Docking. Four minutes later, Alex Jensen scored his second goal of the weekend on a shot that Cortland's Brittan Kuhlman swatted at with his glove but missed.

Kudroch tipped in Barry Roytman's slapshot from the point for a power-play marker and a 4-1 lead at 13:09.

The Red Dragons, who had to kill five penalties in the period, put just one shot on goal through the first 11 minutes. The Cardinals ended the period with a 16-5 advantage in shots.

"I think we just started getting the puck down low and started working their defense," Taylor said. "We also had a lot of good leadership.

"The whole team came out in the second period and we played real hard, and we showed the kind of heart we have on this team."

Taylor banged in his second of the night in the middle of the third, and Vick Schlueter netted a short-handed breakaway goal with 2:45 left.

Plattsburgh's Josh Leis made nine saves through two periods for the win. Sam Foley replaced him in the third and stopped seven shots.

The Cardinals' Adam Scuglia redirected the puck for his first collegiate goal 8:06 into the game, and Adam Bevilacqua tied it up for Cortland (3-8-1, 2-5-1).

Kuhlman had 31 saves.

Plattsburgh freshman Mark Constantine missed his first game of the season with a shoulder injury. He had his right arm in a sling, and Emery said the forward may miss next week's game but shouldn't be out longer than that.
                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

Comment

Originally posted by OSUPBPMike View Post
                    WOW those are some GREAT highlights....1st thing I noticed, hate to say it but one of our d-man ,had a b-a-d game...we missed a few BIG chances,as/the highlights, I am sure platty had those as well....that 3 on 1 miss then Jensen goal was BIGGER THAN BIG.....ok good weekend anyway, I believe we owe Hobart from last yr at the Cooler...ps Mike did you check your private notifications???
                    Last edited by bakdraft21; 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OSUPBPMike View Post
                      Great job, Mike! Any possibility you can add Ducky Drake's calls for both Plattsburgh goals? I know WNYO has some videos on YouTube with each teams respective announcer(s) on the call.
                      Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                      1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                      21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                        Great job, Mike! Any possibility you can add Ducky Drake's calls for both Plattsburgh goals? I know WNYO has some videos on YouTube with each teams respective announcer(s) on the call.
                        I assume you're referring to the Whiteout video I did from last season's game? That was a combination of WNYO and WTOP calls. That was a special case... everything else on the channel represents our station only, so I cannot honor your request, sorry.
                        WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

Comment

Why not have the games be webcast by fasthockey.com. I notice there are plenty of Sunyac and ECAC games shown every weekend. All it takes is an internet connection and a camera. Fasthockey provides the rest of the equipment.

Comment

Any word on this new guy Dan Sieger....Just saw the post on facebook that he would be joining the mix. He must have been the mystery player during the red/white game!?

I was also curious what ever happened to Hepler? He was not a great addition by ant means, but would have been nice to have the extra defensive guy.

Comment

Originally posted by CardFan View Post
                              Any word on this new guy Dan Sieger....Just saw the post on facebook that he would be joining the mix. He must have been the mystery player during the red/white game!?

I was also curious what ever happened to Hepler? He was not a great addition by ant means, but would have been nice to have the extra defensive guy.
                              Certainly you read this Halloween USCHO Season Preview and noticed Hepler has transfered to Massachusetts-Dartmouth

Though they don't remember his previous team. -- Though of course USCHO is on top of it
                              Last edited by norm1909; 12-06-2011, 07:07 PM.
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

He is a Junior and has only played 1 game with UMASS Dartmouth...Interesting!!! Probably should not have left, doesnt seem to get anymore playing time there....

How about this new Sieger character?

Comment

Working...
                                X