Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
    A Team must have closers / finishers / snipers to score, I didn't see any on the team that played the last two nights. They generated tons ... well sufficient numbers of chances, but had no one to put the puck in the net.
    It is very well known that it is defense first here ,that doesnt exactly attract free wheeling offensive types.

An example is the fact that Bob has been verbally bashing Farnan on pregame and BTB since he had the Hat Trick versus Brockport . He sat him against Middlebury . To score goals you have to be opportunistic ,if the only way to playing time is by playing defense first you really focus alot less on opportunities.

I respect Bob and his record speaks for itself . But couldn't we have one offensive minded line paired with the best defensive tandom. It's risk reward but this team has some skills ,so why is it the first team to be shut out in back to back games ?

Comment

Panthers, Cardinals tie in PrimeLink {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Nov. 27, 2011}

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — The Cardinals left the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout without a goal, but they did salvage a point.

Middlebury and Plattsburgh State had plenty of chances in Saturday's third-place game, but they ended it with a scoreless tie at Kenyon Arena. The sixth-ranked Cardinals didn't light the lamp in 125 minutes of play at the annual men's hockey tournament.

Norwich defeated Elmira 5-2 in the championship game to claim its second title in three years.

Plattsburgh's Josh Leis stopped 26 shots to record his third career shutout. Middlebury's Nick BonDurant, playing first game of the season, had 19 saves.

Plattsburgh defenseman Paul Puglisi was named to the All-Tournament team.

Coach Bob Emery said the longer the Cardinals (5-2-1) went without scoring, the more frustrated they got. At one point late in the game, Jared Docking returned the bench and slammed his stick down, and he wasn't the only player to end a shift visibly annoyed.

"There was a lot of frustration on the bench," Emery said. "I give the guys credit for really, really working hard. We didn't play as smart as we can play. But I give them credit for working hard.

"But the frustration, we gotta somehow put that on the back burner."

The Cardinals had two close calls in their own zone the middle of the third period. They sent the puck back toward their open net as Leis was heading off the ice on a delayed penalty, and a Middlebury player tapped it in at the last second. The goal didn't count because of the penalty.

During Plattsburgh's ensuing power play, Leis came way out of his crease to play the puck but went down. Middlebury's Charlie Strauss raced to the puck, but couldn't get it cleanly across to his open teammate.

Plattsburgh had a great opportunity when the puck came to Ryan Craig in the slot and Jordan Gidaro was there to whack at the rebound a couple times. But BonDurant turned all three shots away, and he later denied Vick Schlueter on a breakaway in the final seconds of regulation.

The goalies were busy in the five-minute overtime period, as well.

"I think there were some real good chances both ways, and I think both teams worked real hard, especially rebounding off the disappointment from (Friday) night," Middlebury coach Bill Beaney said. "It was a good college hockey game. Lots of good things happened."

The Panthers rang a shot off the post while shorthanded in the first period, and the Cardinals sent a puck skipping through the crease in the middle of the second.

Plattsburgh went into the weekend averaging 4.67 goals per night, and Emery couldn't recall his team being shut out in back-to-back games in the past.

"Plattsburgh teams of late have had the characteristics of not having a lot of goal scoring, and I just hope this team isn't like one of those teams," Emery said. "We stress defense, but if we score goals at the pace we scored these last couple games, we're going to really have to really stress defensive hockey."

The Cardinals lost to the top-ranked team in Division III, Norwich, Friday before taking on the 11th-ranked Panthers.

"Well, it was our two toughest games of the year, no doubt about it," Emery said. "We learned a lot about ourselves playing those two teams. Those two teams are going to be playing in March, and we have to find ways to beat those teams, no doubt."

After No. 10 Elmira (5-3) struck 41 seconds into the championship game, Norwich tallied three straight power-play goals to take the lead for good. Doug Lindensmith tied it at 13:05 of the first, and Pier-Olivier Cotnoir scored twice in the final five minutes of the period.

The Soaring Eagles got within one late in the first, but Kyle Thomas put it back to two in the third before Corey Hale added an empty-netter.

Cotnoir was named the tournament's MVP.
      Last edited by norm1909; 11-27-2011, 08:59 AM.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

• Originally posted by CardinalSin View Post
        It is very well known that it is defense first here ,that doesnt exactly attract free wheeling offensive types.

An example is the fact that Bob has been verbally bashing Farnan on pregame and BTB since he had the Hat Trick versus Brockport . He sat him against Middlebury . To score goals you have to be opportunistic ,if the only way to playing time is by playing defense first you really focus alot less on opportunities.

I respect Bob and his record speaks for itself . But couldn't we have one offensive minded line paired with the best defensive tandom. It's risk reward but this team has some skills ,so why is it the first team to be shut out in back to back games ?
        Pretty much what I was trying to say. I know Plattsburgh didnt manage a ton of shots on goal in the third....but when they pushed the play they skated right with Norwich. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. You have to have faith in your goaltending and push the envelope. Like Herb Brooks said when playing the CCCP ....we don't sit back and let them come at us, we take it to them. Playing defense does not mean going into a shell.....we dont have a Kyle Thomas on our team that can take anything and make it into something. Plattsburgh scores goals from hard work and attacking.
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
          A Team must have closers / finishers / snipers to score, I didn't see any on the team that played the last two nights. They generated tons ... well sufficient numbers of chances, but had no one to put the puck in the net.
          You're absolutely right about that.
          Plattsburgh State Cardinals
          1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
          21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

I thought the boys worked very hard in both games. If you were there, you would know that the game against Norwich was highly a defensive one by both teams. When you see 17 to 12 in total shots, that tells you something! I didn't think the Cards played that badly. A couple of mistakes cost them. Norwich is an outstanding team and we knew it would be hard to go in there and take 2. Saturday, again,very tight hockey against a very good Middlebury team. We came away with a tie. Not that bad. Look who you are playing on the big ice! I'm disappointed, sure, but it was some real good hockey to watch and I thought we really held our own, considering. Goals?,frustration,yes. But I don't think I'll really start to worry about that just yet. Let's not jump the gun quite so early everyone. Congrats to Norwich on the tourney win. Primelink continues to be the premier tourney and Middlebury did an excellent job of hosting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
              I thought the boys worked very hard in both games. If you were there, you would know that the game against Norwich was highly a defensive one by both teams. When you see 17 to 12 in total shots, that tells you something! I didn't think the Cards played that badly. A couple of mistakes cost them. Norwich is an outstanding team and we knew it would be hard to go in there and take 2. Saturday, again,very tight hockey against a very good Middlebury team. We came away with a tie. Not that bad. Look who you are playing on the big ice! I'm disappointed, sure, but it was some real good hockey to watch and I thought we really held our own, considering. Goals?,frustration,yes. But I don't think I'll really start to worry about that just yet. Let's not jump the gun quite so early everyone. Congrats to Norwich on the tourney win. Primelink continues to be the premier tourney and Middlebury did an excellent job of hosting too.
              I agree.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
                Yep, all of this. A little perspective is needed: through the Primelink last year, Plattsburgh was 5-4 with two VERY ugly losses, even with the tourney win. The Cards turned that one around pretty well by season's end. This year, they've had a single-goal setback, a loss to the #1 team in the country, and a scoreless tie. I don't think it's time to declare that the sky is falling just yet.
                Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                Some National Championships:
                Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                  Yep, all of this. A little perspective is needed: through the Primelink last year, Plattsburgh was 5-4 with two VERY ugly losses, even with the tourney win. The Cards turned that one around pretty well by season's end. This year, they've had a single-goal setback, a loss to the #1 team in the country, and a scoreless tie. I don't think it's time to declare that the sky is falling just yet.
                  True, and while having a significant number of players paying the piper (sitting out for disciplinary reasons) and integrating many new players.
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

coming off of 2 shutouts in a row it will be interesting to see if they switch up their play-style any next Friday.
                    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

spoke with some of the players after the Norwich game and the conclusion I got was that because of Plattsburghs heavy for-check the players were tired early in their shifts. putting the pressure on Norwich deep in their own zone, then having to hustle back to the defensive zone was very tiring on the huge sheet of ice that Midd. has. not trying to make an excuse for the loss, the mistakes speak for themselves when it comes to the goals, just passing on the input I got from the guys I talked to.
                      Jim Reisdorf
                      Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
                        spoke with some of the players after the Norwich game and the conclusion I got was that because of Plattsburghs heavy for-check the players were tired early in their shifts. putting the pressure on Norwich deep in their own zone, then having to hustle back to the defensive zone was very tiring on the huge sheet of ice that Midd. has. not trying to make an excuse for the loss, the mistakes speak for themselves when it comes to the goals, just passing on the input I got from the guys I talked to.
                        I think that to beat Norwich, you do have to break up Norwich's attack early on. If you let them get wound up starting out of their own end, you will end up with somebody finding open ice on the way up the ice. There is a price to pay, and for a team like Plattsburgh that is used to playing on a shortened rink, that going be expensive. Plattsburgh did a good job defensively against Norwich. It will be interesting to see what information other teams will have gathered from watching/comparing the approaches that Plattsburgh and Elmira took to the games.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

OK boys who gets the nod fri night vs Oz...both goalies looked to have played well for sure last weekend, any favorites?? You guys will see Hare unless Beckwith made a xmas miracle early....did emery give any hints on his radio show??..Lets get this party started, along with some hype

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                            OK boys who gets the nod fri night vs Oz...both goalies looked to have played well for sure last weekend, any favorites?? You guys will see Hare unless Beckwith made a xmas miracle early....did emery give any hints on his radio show??..Lets get this party started, along with some hype
                            From last nights BtheB w/ Emery (not direct quotes):

The goalie situation is kinda wide open...there is an agreement w/ the goalies that you win and you keep playing...since Sat. was a tie, it's up to us [the coaching staff].

At the end there was an exchange in which Ducky says something like ... perhaps there will be two goaltenders this weekend...and Emery responds "who knows."

He is certainly keeping it close to the vest and the tie vs. Middlebury certainly doesn't clarify anything.

Is there going to be video of Friday night's matchup?

Comment

Originally posted by mjmigliaccio View Post
                              From last nights BtheB w/ Emery (not direct quotes):

The goalie situation is kinda wide open...there is an agreement w/ the goalies that you win and you keep playing...since Sat. was a tie, it's up to us [the coaching staff].

At the end there was an exchange in which Ducky says something like ... perhaps there will be two goaltenders this weekend...and Emery responds "who knows."

He is certainly keeping it close to the vest and the tie vs. Middlebury certainly doesn't clarify anything.

Is there going to be video of Friday night's matchup?
                              thnks for the info, I think you will see the transfer, new blood vs Oz, as leis hasnt faired to well...I also would love to know if there will be video?? Bueller anyone??

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                                thnks for the info, I think you will see the transfer, new blood vs Oz, as leis hasnt faired to well...I also would love to know if there will be video?? Bueller anyone??
                                You might be onto something. Below are Josh's numbers vs. Oswego as per USCHO.com (yes, slow day at the office):

Goals Saves
                                11/07/09 Oswego 4 9 59:27 L
                                01/30/10 @Oswego 3 9 25:36 L
                                03/06/10 @Oswego 1 8 17:40 N
                                11/06/10 @Oswego 4 36 58:29 L
                                01/29/11 Oswego 4 15 58:06 L

Comment

Working...
                                X