Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

it isnt often that Plattsburgh looks like a second tier team and from what I observed this was one of the times . Norwich is a quality team ,and that played into it but Plattsburgh didnt look like they were one of the three hosts of the best tourney in D3. They looked like the team they bring in to make sure the host gets to the finals (LMAO).......

Comment

Prof - Kid undoubtedly has D1 skills, but NU seems to get one of those type of recruits every couple of years. Stop over and say hello. I'll be near the red line in the bright gold sweatshirt with a UVa hat, can't miss me.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
        Prof - Kid undoubtedly has D1 skills, but NU seems to get one of those type of recruits every couple of years. Stop over and say hello. I'll be near the red line in the bright gold sweatshirt with a UVa hat, can't miss me.
        Unfortunately, my presence today is a coin flip. My wife has plans for me that don't include going over the mountain to Midd. , however if you are coming to the New Years Tourney in Northfied, you can find me in Section 22
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Cardinals fall short {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Nov. 26, 2011}

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — Looking for the equalizer, Plattsburgh State got the first power play of the game early in the second period. But the Cardinals ended up falling farther behind Norwich.

Colin Mulvey's shorthanded goal gave the Cadets a 2-0 lead and they secured a 3-0 win in the first game of the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout men's hockey tournament Friday at Kenyon Arena.

"They've got a very good power play. So anytime you put yourself down a man, you're really giving them potentially a good confidence-booster," Norwich coach Mike McShane said of the Cardinals. "We were fortunate to get that shot and a goal. It was a quick, bang-bang play, and I think that was a big play in the game."

Plattsburgh (5-2) will play Middlebury in this afternoon's third-place game, and then Norwich will take on Elmira in the championship contest. Elmira defeated Middlebury 3-2 in the second game Friday.

The sixth-ranked Cardinals nearly scored in Friday's third period but were shut out for the first time this season.

"I thought we did a good job when we got the puck in their zone, playing our style of hockey behind their net and generating some offense that way," Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. "But we just couldn't get that first goal."

He said a goal might have helped the Cardinals relax, adding that some of them "were gripping their sticks a little too much."

The top-ranked Cadets (5-0) got their first midway through the opening period. They intercepted a puck at the blue line to give themselves a chance on the rush, and Doug Lindensmith flipped it in on top of a Plattsburgh defenseman, who had slid into the net. Kyle Thomas and Corey Hale assisted.

Plattsburgh had a golden opportunity with just over a minute left, when Matt MacLeod jumped on a rebound in the slot. But the shot was deflected away.

Then Mulvey skated in on Mathieu Cadieux and put the puck top shelf 3:13 into the second.

"We gave them what I thought were two easy goals — two bad turnovers that turned into goals," Emery said. "And you're not going to win a lot of games giving up goals that easy."

The Cardinals came close to getting a goal of their own in the third. Alex Jensen sent a shot ricocheting off the far post early on. With a sixth skater on the ice, Plattsburgh got the puck past Norwich's Parker Carroll with 1:22 left, but the goal was waved off because it was gloved in.

Travis Janke tallied an empty-netter in the final second of the game.

Carroll made 12 saves to earn the shutout.

"Our defense has been playing well," McShane said, adding that Carroll's experience has also helped. "And our forwards were back checking well and stealing pucks on the way back."

Cadieux had 15 stops for Plattsburgh.

No. 10 Elmira (5-2) took early control of the second game with three goals in a span of 1:45 in the first period. Brendan Sanders scored 6:37 in, followed by Martin Lee and Regan MacLean.

The 11th-ranked Panthers (2-1) got on the board later in the period on a Brett Brazier goal, and Charlie Strauss put them within one early in the second. They outshot the Soaring Eagles in the third but couldn't tie it.
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalSin View Post
            it isnt often that Plattsburgh looks like a second tier team and from what I observed this was one of the times . Norwich is a quality team ,and that played into it but Plattsburgh didnt look like they were one of the three hosts of the best tourney in D3. They looked like the team they bring in to make sure the host gets to the finals (LMAO).......
            Plattsburgh hasn't faired well against Norwich over the years on bigger ice. However, on the flip side, Plattsburgh has pretty much been equally as dominant on the small ice at the Stafford.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

that is true ,however , the Cards have never been so insignificant in a big game in my opinion. This was ,to coin Bob Emery , a game without leadership , and Im saying from the top down. Cards usually adjust to some degree to the oppenents game plan, I kept waiting for it to happen and sadly 3 periods passed and nothing significant .

Comment

Maybe Bob Emery should place some emphasis on scoring goals as opposed to solid goaltending and good team defense.

This philosophy of "cycling" the puck isn't working against elite teams like Norwich and Middlebury. Adjust.
                Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

when was the last time the Cards were shutout in back-to-back games?
                  Oswego vs. Plattsburgh:

Rivalry? What Rivalry?

Comment

• Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                    Maybe Bob Emery should place some emphasis on scoring goals as opposed to solid goaltending and good team defense.

This philosophy of "cycling" the puck isn't working against elite teams like Norwich and Middlebury. Adjust.
                    Two NC with that philosophy at SNC. You've got to be able to create offense from your defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by snc1 View Post
                      Two NC with that philosophy at SNC. You've got to be able to create offense from your defense.
                      Correct. And that seems to be the problem. When the Cards push the envelope and play run and gun they produce offense....but all weekend they dedicated the games to defense. Holding Norwich to such a small number or shots and really the same for Middlebury too is a positive....but when Plattsburgh pushed the offense they played much better. Whatever changed after the Brockport game needs to be changed back. A few years ago Plattsburgh put so much emphisis on scoring, thier defense struggled. This year they've put so much on defense over the past three games thier offense has strugled...find the happy medium.
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by RedbirdFan View Post
                        when was the last time the Cards were shutout in back-to-back games?
                        Just looked into this, and unless I missed something, this weekend was the first instance in the history of the program.

Edit: According to Prez in the scores thread, Plattsburgh's SID came to the same conclusion.
                        Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                        A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                        A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                        A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                        Some National Championships:
                        Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                        Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

• Originally posted by snc1 View Post
                          I respect that, but it's definitely not working for us. Plattsburgh State hasn't even scored a goal in the last 125+ minutes of play...
                          Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                          1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                          21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                            Just looked into this, and unless I missed something, this weekend was the first instance in the history of the program.

Edit: According to Prez in the scores thread, Plattsburgh's SID came to the same conclusion.
                            I have been following the redbirds since 1980 and couldn't remember it ever happening (but may have missed something while in the army after Hoar hit the road - that was the time of the last losing season).

I don't mind this "defense first" philosophy now in November if it lays a foundation for jan/feb/mar and the transition game develops.

Give it time.
                            Oswego vs. Plattsburgh:

Rivalry? What Rivalry?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyce View Post

I have been following the redbirds since 1980 and couldn't remember it ever happening (but may have missed something while in the army after Hoar hit the road - that was the time of the last losing season).

I don't mind this "defense first" philosophy now in November if it lays a foundation for jan/feb/mar and the transition game develops.

Give it time.
                              Oswego vs. Plattsburgh:

Rivalry? What Rivalry?

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                                I respect that, but it's definitely not working for us. Plattsburgh State hasn't even scored a goal in the last 125+ minutes of play...
                                A Team must have closers / finishers / snipers to score, I didn't see any on the team that played the last two nights. They generated tons ... well sufficient numbers of chances, but had no one to put the puck in the net.

Comment

Working...
                                X