Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

yeah ok thanks....he must have been the one driving and has 4 more games left!

Comment

Originally posted by CardFan View Post
      yeah ok thanks....he must have been the one driving and has 4 more games left!
      from what I understand, Docking's suspension had nothing to do with driving.
      Jim Reisdorf
      Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Poll for the weekend of 11/18: Who is in goal for the Cards vs. Brockport and Geneseo?

I'll start: Cadieux will get the start tonight. If he plays lights out, he goes again tomorrow. Fair or worse, Emery will go to Leis tomorrow.

Thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by mjmigliaccio View Post
          Poll for the weekend of 11/18: Who is in goal for the Cards vs. Brockport and Geneseo?

I'll start: Cadieux will get the start tonight. If he plays lights out, he goes again tomorrow. Fair or worse, Emery will go to Leis tomorrow.

Thoughts...
          Agreed. I think Cadieux would practically have to shut out Brockport (with more than 18 saves) to earn the nod between the pipes Saturday.

Comment

I'm wondering, with the return of McLeod, who is going to be the odd man out defensively. My first guess would be Vanzant. Thoughts?

Comment

Leis, Cadieux competing for time in net {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Nov. 18, 2011}

Josh Leis was Plattsburgh State's main goaltender last year, but when the Cardinals played their first game of the 2011-12 campaign, it was newcomer Mathieu Cadieux in net.

Leis knew he would have to fight for his place between the pipes.

"We're all here to push each other. It's not just you come in and you get your spot guaranteed," the junior said. "You gotta work for it as well, every year. So it's good competition and, I mean, competition pushes everyone to be better."

Plattsburgh State (3-1), ranked No. 6 in the USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll, plays its home opener tonight against Brockport before hosting Geneseo for another SUNY Athletic Conference game Saturday.

Leis and Cadieux have both played in the early part of the season, and coach Bob Emery said he's not necessarily intent on finding a clear No. 1.

"I'm a read-react coach. I make my coaching decisions, ... my dress-list decisions based upon what I see," Emery said. "We've won here with one goalie, and we've won with two goalies splitting, so I don't care either way. Just want to win."

The coach added he's confident in the skills of all three goalies — sophomore Sam Foley is the other — and is looking for consistency from them.

Cadieux, from Oshawa, Ontario, is a sophomore who joined the Cardinals this season after playing junior hockey last year. In 2009-10, he was at Division I's Quinnipiac, appearing in six games.

He said like the 12 other new players on Plattsburgh's roster, he's trying to prove himself during any ice time he gets.

"I think everybody, if you get a chance to get on the ice, you gotta show 'em what you can do and you gotta try your best," Cadieux said. "It's pretty much the same for everybody. If you get a shot, you gotta make the most of it."

He made 31 saves in the Cardinals' season-opening 6-4 win at Morrisville and then saw Leis start the next three games. Last Saturday, Cadieux relieved Leis early in the second period against Buffalo State and was credited with the loss. He sports a 3.23 GAA and a .902 save percentage.

"I'd like to say that I'm a good positional goalie," Cadieux said. "I'm really calm in the net, which sometimes helps out the players."

Leis played 17 games as a freshman, and after alternating early last season, he backstopped Plattsburgh to the championship in the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout and ended up appearing in 25 games. He went 17-5-1.

The Kitchener, Ontario, native played a strong game to beat Potsdam in his first start this season, allowing just one late goal, and earned a win at Fredonia before giving up three goals in just over 25 minutes Saturday. He boasts a 2.89 GAA and a .875 save percentage.

Emery has said Leis is at his best when he's aggressive.

"I need to challenge, be out of my net, play the puck and talk to my defensemen," Leis said. "And (then) I feel like I can play a really good game."

Leis said after practice on Wednesday that the goalies hadn't been told who would start against Brockport. He expected to find out Thursday or today.

The Golden Eagles (1-4-1, 1-3-1 SUNYAC) are coming off a 6-1 win over Geneseo last Friday. Ian Finnerty has 10 points for Brockport, and James Cody has eight, including a team-high four goals.

The Knights (4-3, 3-2) bounced back last Saturday by beating Framingham State, 6-1, in a nonconference game. Sophomore Zachary Vit leads them with six goals and six assists in seven games.

Emery said senior defenseman Matt MacLeod will be available for the Cardinals this weekend after starting the season on suspension.
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Cardinals roll past Brockport {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Nov. 19, 2011}

Ryan Farnan tallied three consecutive goals in the second period as Plattsburgh State showed off its offensive skills by piling up six goals Friday.

But coach Bob Emery was more impressed with the ones Brockport didn't score.

The Cardinals, who came in averaging three goals against per game, allowed just one for a 6-1 SUNY Athletic Conference men's hockey win in their first home game of the season.

Nick Jensen scored twice for Plattsburgh (4-1), and Matt MacLeod added another.

"I think we played pretty smart as a team," Emery said. "I told the guys when it was 3-0, 'I don't care how many goals we get; I care how many they get.' Because I think that the focus has to be defense. And I thought we played good defensive hockey only giving up one goal."

The sixth-ranked Cardinals host Geneseo tonight.

With his team already up 2-0, Farnan broke the game open in the second period. He took a feed from Kyle Kudroch on a rush and scored from the right doorstep less than five minutes in. The sophomore forward then banged in a rebound from the left side and later deked his way past a defenseman and threaded the puck into the top right corner.

"The third one, I was actually hearing coach yell, 'Change,' and I had a lot of speed and I saw their D was kinda on the back ... And I caught him on his heels, made one move and luckily got around him," Farnan said. "That was the best goal of the three for sure."

The natural hat trick took just under six minutes.

Troy Polino put Brockport (1-5-1, 1-4-1 SUNYAC) on the board with a shot from the side of the net with 6:41 left in the period.

Jensen put one in 13 seconds into the third after Brockport's Oliver Wren couldn't cover up the puck.

Then the parade to the penalty box started. Kudroch was ejected less than two minutes in after a collision at the boards. He was issued a five-minute major for hitting from behind and a game misconduct.

Later, Brockport's Adam Shoff drew a double minor for roughing before teammate Mike Hayward was sent to the locker room with a contact-to-the-head major and a game misconduct. Shoff served Hayward's penalty, meaning he spent nine minutes in the box, almost consecutively.

The teams combined for 40 minutes of penalties in the period.

"I think for the most part we played disciplined," Emery said. "It was a bad hit from behind, and we just can't have that. We can't have that at all."

He added that the Cardinals were fortunate they already had a sizeable lead when they had to kill of the five-minute power play.

Mathieu Cadieux, making his second start, stopped 22 shots to earn the win. Sam Foley made his first appearance of the season midway through the third.

"I thought (Cadieux) did what he had to do, and I thought we did a good job clearing out pucks in front of the net," Emery said.

Wren had 53 saves.

Jensen lifted a shot past him just 26 seconds into the game, and Matt MacLeod skated in alone and potted a shorthanded goal with 4:21 to go in the first period.

Plattsburgh pelted the net with 25 shots in the period and ended the game with a 59-26 advantage.

Geneseo will visit Stafford Ice Arena tonight after two straight conference losses, including a 7-3 setback Friday at Potsdam.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I thought I read that the games were going to be on the web this yr??? Or is it just select games??

Comment

Who was the last Cardinal to record a hat-trick before Ryan Farnan? Nick Rolls?
                    Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                    1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                    21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                      Who was the last Cardinal to record a hat-trick before Ryan Farnan? Nick Rolls?
                      I was about to say that it was Patrick Jobb in this game against Potsdam back in February...

...but then I realized that Ryan Craig had one in the following game against Morrisville in the SUNYAC Playoffs last season. (a 4-3 OT win in which he scored all 3 regulation goals)

But those were the only HTs all season for the Cardinals. The hat trick prior to that was Dylan Clarke in the 2010 SUNYAC Semifinals against Brockport.
                      Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 11-19-2011, 12:52 PM. Reason: noted Clarke's HT
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Since I was looking at Hat tricks in Plattsburgh games...

The last hat trick Plattsburgh has allowed was Kyle Thomas in January 2010 at Norwich.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

p.s. that was a NATURAL HT,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                            p.s. that was a NATURAL HT,,,,
                            Oh... wow... how did I miss that? That's awesome.

Depending on your definition of a Natural HT, the last in DIII was Musselwhite's shorthanded HT against Brockport (but it wasn't all in the same period, so some would say it WASN'T a natural). So, although I don't expect to find many (any?), my next task will be to look for Plattsburgh Players scoring a natural HT in the collegehockeystats era (99-present). A futile task? Probably.

EDIT: Scratch that... already found one... against Oswego, no less
                            Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 11-19-2011, 02:21 PM.
                            Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                              Oh... wow... how did I miss that? That's awesome.

Depending on your definition of a Natural HT, the last in DIII was Musselwhite's shorthanded HT against Brockport (but it wasn't all in the same period, so some would say it WASN'T a natural). So, although I don't expect to find many (any?), my next task will be to look for Plattsburgh Players scoring a natural HT in the collegehockeystats era (99-present). A futile task? Probably.

EDIT: Scratch that... already found one... against Oswego, no less
                              I knew a platty guy would find one....of course against Oz...does a Natural Ht have to be in the same period??? didnt know that

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                                I knew a platty guy would find one....of course against Oz...does a Natural Ht have to be in the same period??? didnt know that
                                Again, some people include in the definition the stipulation that it must take place in 1 period. Most people don't.
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Working...
                                X