Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Still a long way to go, but these guys were at the last home game, and really seemed to have a good time working the student section.

http://www.cardinalpointsonline.com/...0_201110132237

Killer B
    Where it is always winter but never Christmas.

I think there was a pretty good effort to get a little more from the Stafford student section last season. It's difficult in that the Cardinals might as well be starting from scratch where student interest is concerned. It's not like the team has fallen on rough times and the students have left with the wins; there hasn't been a consistent student presence at any time, good or bad, for 20+ years. Further, the college had no real reason to generate a buzz until recently. Community support kept the arena jumping through the early 2000s, when crowds began to wane, age, and fall into a general cynical complacency (symptoms also found in the Plattsburgh area in general). Hopefully the kids can build on what they've done this year; the Oswego game provides as good a chance as any to start.
    A. P. J. "D." Bennett...Ship it...

Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
    Now less legible for your inconvenience!
    A Whole Lot of SUNYAC Championships, Though Some of Them are Tainted
    A Handful of ECAC West Championships
    Any Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count Anymore
    A Few National Championships:
    Women's (THIS YEAR, Pretty Recent, The Year before That)
    Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

...one idea - expand the student section to 50% of capacity...that would be a real energy jolt...
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-R- View Post
    I love going to Potsdam for that reason. It is a COLLEGE HOCKEY atmosphere unlike what we see at PSU these days.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack View Post
    Still a long way to go, but these guys were at the last home game, and really seemed to have a good time working the student section.

Ehhh. Their chants are odd. Not even hockey related what-so-ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
    ...one idea - expand the student section to 50% of capacity...that would be a real energy jolt...
    yeah, I could see this working. One reason the Oswego games are so packed full of students all the time is the fact that all the students go because its so full of other students. It sounds like a paradox, but its true. People who come to Oswego who don't like hockey before they start school here start going to the games because its a very social event. Once they start watching they get hooked and continue going to the games. we regularly get 2,800 people per game and I'd say that 1/3-1/2 of them are students.

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew

The majority of Plattsburgh State hockey has been based on the community support, not college kids. If you wanted to make 50% college, you would have to tell a hell of a lot of loyal Cardinal fans they are not welcome to the games anymore. Not going to happen. Also the $$$ that the college would lose from free addmission vs. paid addmission. Now having said that, if they were to knock out that back wall and build some sort of a bleacher/bench system for more students maybe. But unlike other major DIII programs, Plattsburgh has lived off its community members, not college kids. I love the atmosphere don't get me wrong, but the idea has been tried for years. Especially with Captain No Fun still in charge, I'm not sure its a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack View Post

The students turned out big time at the USA game. The band played, the students cheered,painted faces and bodies and threw t shirts into the crowd. I found them much more active than last year and enjoyed their participation. It certainly added to the atmosphere. Hope they turn out again on the 18th!

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Quote Originally Posted by OSU2010 View Post
    yeah, I could see this working. One reason the Oswego games are so packed full of students all the time is the fact that all the students go because its so full of other students. It sounds like a paradox, but its true. People who come to Oswego who don't like hockey before they start school here start going to the games because its a very social event. Once they start watching they get hooked and continue going to the games. we regularly get 2,800 people per game and I'd say that 1/3-1/2 of them are students.
    This is correct. Once Oswego moved into the CC in 2007 it became the "cool thing" to go to Laker games. There were decent student turnouts at Romney during my freshman year, but nothing crazy unless it was the Plattsburgh game and even then 75% of the people that showed up for that game were there to throw the stupid bagel onto the ice rather than watch the game.

I will say atleast the students have learned a few chants and cheers that have stuck since I've been there and honestly 1,000 strong in the student section every night has started to make the CC one of the most intimidating places to play in D-III.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!!
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Rail #59

Quote Originally Posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
    The college looked at the number of student tickets that were "consumed" for each game and they averaged 400 students per game which is now the number set aside for the students each game. of course that number rises for the Oswego game so it becomes more of a hot commodity.
    Jim Reisdorf
    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    This is correct. Once Oswego moved into the CC in 2007 it became the "cool thing" to go to Laker games. There were decent student turnouts at Romney during my freshman year, but nothing crazy unless it was the Plattsburgh game and even then 75% of the people that showed up for that game were there to throw the stupid bagel onto the ice rather than watch the game.

I will say atleast the students have learned a few chants and cheers that have stuck since I've been there and honestly 1,000 strong in the student section every night has started to make the CC one of the most intimidating places to play in D-III.
    The CC being in the middle of campus also has not hurt at all, HECK as a player I hated to take the bus to Romney...its not the greatest of weather either which didnt help the trek to Romney...BUT I think it was way ezr to get booze into Romney than it must be at the CC, I havent tried ........YET

Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    The CC being in the middle of campus also has not hurt at all, HECK as a player I hated to take the bus to Romney...its not the greatest of weather either which didnt help the trek to Romney...BUT I think it was way ezr to get booze into Romney than it must be at the CC, I havent tried ........YET
    In Romney you could "preposition"
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    ...snorkel coat...wine sack hanging down your back...blackberry brandy...it was too easy
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Well, when they were giving away up to 4 cases of beer in between periods for score-o, so I don't think they were too concerned about whether people were bringing in booze or not. I remember the whole crowd being lit up.

Should be an entertaining weekend of hockey for plattsburgh, buff state looks like they could be a tough team this year. I know those suspensions are from 3-8 games do we know who will be coming back and when? Also I know Bob likes to make an example of people, do you think he'll start those players when their suspensions are over or sit them for a few more games to make a point?

Quote Originally Posted by OSU2010 View Post
    Should be an entertaining weekend of hockey for plattsburgh, buff state looks like they could be a tough team this year. I know those suspensions are from 3-8 games do we know who will be coming back and when? Also I know Bob likes to make an example of people, do you think he'll start those players when their suspensions are over or sit them for a few more games to make a point?
    Jobb, Farnan, and Taylor as per BTB Monday night. It will be interesting to see the lineups this weekend. Im not sure who you take out really. We have a lot of depth with these freshman all who could be starters at pretty much any DIII program. And still have Docking and McLeod in waiting.

Go Cards!

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Jobb, Farnan, and Taylor as per BTB Monday night. It will be interesting to see the lineups this weekend. Im not sure who you take out really. We have a lot of depth with these freshman all who could be starters at pretty much any DIII program. And still have Docking and McLeod in waiting.
    I predict we wont be seeing the Gidaro, Blake, Cassidy line...at least two, if not all three.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Any news on what/who is the goalie of choice yet?? or will it be a rotational thing for now??

Rail #59

I think you will still see Gidaro in the lineup still, as for the goalies.....your guess is as good as anyones.... I wouldn't rule out a rotation between Leis and Cladeux for a little while.
    Jim Reisdorf
    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sticksnstones View Post
    I predict we wont be seeing the Gidaro, Blake, Cassidy line...at least two, if not all three.
    You are probably right....but its nice knowing any one of those three could step in if needed. Blake has a nice physical game, Cassidy is a good role player and Gidaro could become a nifty offensive minded player. Bob can pkug players in that fits each games situation. I think (with no offense to Morrisville and or Potsdam) we cant really get a good idea where this team stands until they
    A. Play better competition
    B. Get to full strength

We've played a Potsdam team that while goaltending has improved is still a long ways from the calibar of teams making the NCAAs and a Morrisville team who went 0-2 vs the Western powers being outscored a combined 12-3. If Plattsburgh can get 4 poi.ts this weekend I will start to believe a little more.

Same thing for the goalies....Cadieaux looked shaky against Morrisville the first period but looked decent the last two periods, but its Morrisville. And then Josh looked great Saturday, but its Potsdam. I think both will get at least one more start each before the Primelink.

Thread Information