Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hawk View Post
    I was very impressed by the Cards big win at Middleburry Friday. I am not sure if Plattsburgh is just a hot team right now or Middlebury is going through a down stretch, however, I would guess that it is a little bit of both. It is going to be interesting come NCAA time because Norwich, Castleton , Plattsburgh, Oswego, and Elmira probable can not all make the NCAA. So some top 10 or top 5 team is goingto be left out. Right now I would say the Cards are playing the best hockey of anyone in the East. Continued good luck in Williamstown. When is the last time Middlebury has been beat by either Norwich or Plattsburgh 7-2.
    7-2?? It was 7-0....

And Elmira is pretty much done and Castleton isnt far behind. Spartys will probably have to beat Norwich to get an at large bid and then lose to Norwich in the Championship game to have a shot....with a weak schedule they will need all the stars to align right. If Plattsburgh and Oswego win tonight they both get in. Norwich is in.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      7-2?? It was 7-0....

And Elmira is pretty much done and Castleton isnt far behind. Spartys will probably have to beat Norwich to get an at large bid and then lose to Norwich in the Championship game to have a shot....with a weak schedule they will need all the stars to align right. If Plattsburgh and Oswego win tonight they both get in. Norwich is in.
      Seems a little early dont you think to be talking about clinching a spot. The Cards success depends just as much on the SUNYAC play as it does playing teams like Williams tonight. No doubt wins vrs Castleton help and so do ties to #1 and #2. Though, I must say its way too early to be talking definite at large bids.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardFan View Post
        Seems a little early dont you think to be talking about clinching a spot. The Cards success depends just as much on the SUNYAC play as it does playing teams like Williams tonight. No doubt wins vrs Castleton help and so do ties to #1 and #2. Though, I must say its way too early to be talking definite at large bids.
        compared to everyone else, head to heads, and comparing remaining schedules and what "should" happen unless Norwich Oswego and Plaatsburgh go into a massive downhill spiral I don't see many other teams catching them. Their undefeated NC schedule put them into the dance a few years ago. They are basically on the same track record as that year.
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          compared to everyone else, head to heads, and comparing remaining schedules and what "should" happen unless Norwich Oswego and Plaatsburgh go into a massive downhill spiral I don't see many other teams catching them. Their undefeated NC schedule put them into the dance a few years ago. They are basically on the same track record as that year.
          I will agree with that...just think again the SUNYAC says alot... Leave no doubt!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cardinals89 View Post
            After tonight, Plattsburgh boasts the top penalty kill unit across all divisions at 95.7 percent. Still a long way to go....but nonetheless noteworthy. Glad to see the power play starting to wake up. Nice night for the special teams.
            Add three Shorties to their kill and Platty is a +1 on the year during the kill. WHAA!!

Comment

[QUOTE=CardinalSin;5319902]Did the ice get smaller at Middlebury or did Plattsburgh just make it seem that way? One of the most impressive efforts in along time ,also one of the most unexpected . I felt a victory was going to result but never in such a dominant fashion ?
              /QUOTE]

The Cards did get a skate in at the Middlebury rink in the morning. Maybe that helped?

Comment

PSU men tie with Williams {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 15, 2012}

Plattsburgh State controlled Saturday's game for two periods, took a 2-0 lead into the third and left Lansing-Chapman Ice Rink with a disappointing tie.

Williams scored three goals in the final period, including Evan Dugdale's equalizer with 35 seconds left, to rally for a 3-3 overtime draw in nonconference men's hockey.

"I don't know what it is, this team can't put six periods together on a weekend," Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. "We talked about it all week long.

"We played five great periods, and then we had a third period like that. It's unacceptable."

The third-ranked Cardinals (11-2-4) were coming off a dominating win over Middlebury.

Stephen Maier put the 11th-ranked Ephs (8-1-4) on the boards 6:47 into the third, and Emery said that goal "recharged their batteries." Paul Steinig made it 2-2 a little more than three minutes later.

Plattsburgh's Ryan Craig netted a rebound goal 10 seconds afterward to put his team back ahead. But Williams pulled its goalie at the end, and Dugdale was left open on the left side. Mark Lyons and Justin Troiani assisted on the tying goal.

"We were 40 seconds from winning on the road, a big win," Emery said. "When they pulled their goalie, we scrambled and we weren't calm. We hit the panic button once they pulled the goalie."

Williams put six shots on net in the five-minute overtime, and Plattsburgh's Mathieu Cadieux had to make a save on a wrap-around just before the horn to preserve the tie.

Cadieux totaled 35 stops, and Ryan Purdy made 43 for Williams.

Alex Jensen scored his second of the weekend with 2:15 left in the first period to give Plattsburgh the lead, and Barry Roytman stretched it to 2-0 in the second.

The Cardinals held a 31-12 shot advantage through two periods, but the Ephs outshot them 20-12 in the third.

"We had great puck possession, a lot of good scoring chances," Emery said. "We played smart in the defensive end.

"Then in the third period, one defenseman stayed on the ice too long, got tired, and they score a goal. Then they're a different team."

Saturday's game marked the final nonconference contest for the Cardinals, who will resume their SUNYAC schedule next Saturday at home against Morrisville.

Plattsburgh State's next four games will be at Stafford Ice Arena.

Plattsburgh 3, Williams 3 (OT)

Plattsburgh 1 1 1 0 — 3

Williams 0 0 3 0 — 3

First period- 1, PSU, A. Jensen (Mooney), 17:45 (pp). Penalties: Kudroch, PSU (elbowing), 10:57. Lyons, Will (high sticking), 16:20. Dayton, Will (holding), 18:44.

Second period- 2, PSU, Roytman, 13:17. Kitto, Will (cross checking), 2:03. Kaye, PSU (cross checking), 16:34.

Third period- 3, Will, Maier (Doyle), 6:47. 4, Will, Steinig (Jarrett, Troiani), 9:52. 5, PSU, Craig (Mooney), 10:02. 6, Will, Dugdale (Lyons, Troiani), 19:25 (ea). Penalties: Jensen, PSU (slashing), 4:07.

Shots on goal:

Plattsburgh 17 14 12 3 — 46

Williams 6 6 20 6 — 38

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Cadieux, PSU, 38-35. Purdy, Will, 46-43.

Power play (goals-opportunities): Plattsburgh 1-3; Williams 0-3.

Attendance: 1,025.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Great weekend for the Cards. Just an impressive preformance against M'bury. Can see the Card with a tie with the Lakers or actually taking over the # 2. Emory seems to have all cylinders going and your net minder situation has been solved. It looks like again PSUC and OSU will be going to the NCAA's again, yes it is a bit early to say so. But that time is coming soon and I can't see either team taking a header and both are to talented. This says alot about how each school has brought each other up. More Oswego than Cards. As a long Laker fan it feels good to say that we have been an equal to your great team for the last couple of years. Thanks for bringing our team up to your standard.
                  Oswego' 89

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    Does this mean there is no more need for progress?
                    Nope -- We need to get to 120 minutes
                    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

The Cards had a pretty good weekend overall. The Williams game just slipped away but the tie is better than the loss. The Middlebury game was a great win and generated some confidence in being able to take them this time. Middlebury is a skilled team and looked very good back in November. Now it is time to focus on the very important SUNY games and continue the success. Good job, Cards!

Comment

Who was that defenseman? I'm sure he was reminded of the error of his ways.

Comment

Cards trying to avoid late lapses {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 21, 2012}

Bob Emery might need a psychology degree to understand his team's occasional lapses during games.

"If I could jump into the minds of the players after the second period, I'd be a much better coach in the third period," the Plattsburgh State men's hockey coach said. "But you try to read them as best you can and ... you try to do things over and over and preach things over and over so it sticks in their minds.

"That's something I will continue to preach is 60 minutes. And I'll preach that we've gotta get better in the third period."

The third-ranked Cardinals (11-2-4, 6-1-1 SUNYAC) will look to play a complete game when they host SUNY Athletic Conference foe Morrisville tonight.

After they beat Middlebury, 7-0, last Friday, Emery said it was the first time they had played well for a full 60 minutes. But the next night at Williams they took a 2-0 lead into the third and allowed three goals, settling for a tie.

That wasn't the first time the Cardinals gave a team an opening in the final period. In the last game of the first semester, they had a two-goal cushion after two periods against Norwich, but the game ended in a draw. And two weeks ago they beat Castleton 3-2, but Emery said their level of play declined as the game went on.

"We rely on our skill and our systems to dominate games, but lately for us in the third period we've been more just trying to avoid the puck getting in our net while we should just be worried about putting it in their net and just trying to keep it in their end," Vick Schlueter said.

Schlueter said the Cardinals need to be "mentally tough" in the last period, and Kyle Taylor added that they have to make sure they don't lose focus.

"We gotta focus, especially going into the third period, because that's the toughest period to play," Taylor said. "Teams are out to get us every night. So I think it just comes down to focus and playing hard in the third period and doing the little things that Coach wants us to do in the third, and we'll be successful for a full 60."

The rest of Plattsburgh's regular-season schedule features SUNYAC games — four straight at home and then the last four on the road. The Cardinals are second in the conference standings, one point behind Oswego.

Morrisville (3-13-1, 2-6-1) sits at the bottom of the standings and snapped a nine-game losing streak by beating Potsdam on Friday. The Mustangs lost, 6-4, to Plattsburgh in October, but they held a lead twice during that game and they gave Oswego a hard time in November.

"When I'm focused on Morrisville, I'm focused on a team that can beat anyone," Emery said. "They went into Oswego earlier in the year and tied them in their own barn, so we've gotta focus on that and not what their record is or what we did to them last time."

Email Courtney Lewis at: clewis@pressrepublican.com
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Its been a little quiet on the Cards hockey page. is it possible....

No Goalie controversy ..... Chewy is clearly the man!

Defense is solid not stellar , but very solid indeed !

Offense is efficient enough , overall good effort

It appears the power play is getting on track.

we are winning or at least tying so that's all good.

Maybe we just are the real deal and truly ready to compete at the highest level night in and night out.

Comment

Cardinals down Mustangs in SUNYAC play {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 22, 2012}

The Cardinals weathered an uncharacteristic string of penalties at the beginning of Saturday's first period and then grabbed the lead just before it ended.

Plattsburgh State scored two more in the second on the way to beating Morrisville, 3-1, in a SUNY Athletic Conference men's hockey game at Stafford Ice Arena.

The third-ranked Cardinals held a 43-15 advantage in shots, and the Mustangs had hardly any good scoring chances until the end.

"We had a lot of puck possession in the offensive zone; you don't have to worry about your defense then," Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. "Our time of possession in the offensive zone was, I thought, really good for us (Saturday)."

The Cardinals (12-2-4, 7-1-1 SUNYAC), who are unbeaten in their last 11 games, remained one point out of first place in the SUNYAC standings.

They were called for three penalties in the first 10:28 of the game but killed them all off and still managed to outshoot the Mustangs, 16-3, in the first period. In the final minute, Jared Docking put one in from out front during a power play.

"We just cycled and I walked out of the corner, and I was actually all alone," Docking said. "I got a pass and just put it to my backhand and scored. So it was pretty easy."

Patrick Jobb found the back of the net from a sharp angle on the left side six minutes into the second, and Nick Jensen made it 3-0 late in the period.

After Plattsburgh was whistled for too many men with 36 seconds left in the game, the Mustangs pulled their goalie for a 6-on-4 and James Jarvis scored.

That was their only power-play goal of the game, but they had six opportunities against one of the least-penalized teams in Division III.

"My concern (Saturday) is the penalties," Emery said. "That's uncharacteristic of us. And as a coaching staff, we're not going to settle for that. We've gotta be more disciplined than that.

"Way too much time in the box."

He took particular issue with a hitting-the-goaltender penalty Alex Brenton picked up after a collision with Colin Breen in the third. Breen briefly lay on the ice not moving and then sat up and eventually went back to his net, but Brenton was sent to the locker room by Emery.

"Something we have to avoid," Emery said. Jobb served the penalty for Brenton.

Breen made 40 saves for Morrisville (3-14-1, 2-7-1).

Plattsburgh's Mathieu Cadieux wasn't tested much, but he made what Emery said was a key save on a breakaway in the first period to keep it 0-0. He finished with 14 stops.

The Cardinals have been searching for a complete-game effort, and both Emery and Docking said they were pretty consistent against the Mustangs.

"We played pretty good (Saturday)," Docking said. "We played 59 minutes and 47 seconds, so we'll get to 60 minutes pretty soon."

Plattsburgh 3, Morrisville 1

Morrisville 0 0 1 — 1

Plattsburgh 1 2 0 — 3

First period- 1, PSU, Docking (Taylor, Grace), 19:15 (pp). Penalties: N. Jensen, PSU (interference), 1:09. Puglisi, PSU (holding the stick), 7:53. Jobb, PSU (elbowing), 10:28. Longland, Mor (hooking), 17:11. Nelson, Mor (interference), 19:52.

Second period- 2, PSU, Jobb (Kaye), 6:08. 3, PSU, N. Jensen (A. Jensen), 16:17. Penalties: Renaud, Mor (hooking), 10:55. Farnan, PSU (tripping), 18:42.

Third period- 4, Mor, Jarvis (Hosmer, Nelson), 19:47 (pp). Penalties: Brenton, PSU (hitting the goalie), 3:43. Team, PSU (too many players), 19:24.

Shots on goal:

Morrisville 3 2 10 — 15

Plattsburgh 16 19 8 — 43

Goaltenders (shots-saves): Breen, Mor, 43-40. Cadieux, Mor, 15-14.

Power plays (goals-opportunities): Morrisville 1-6; Plattsburgh 1-3.

Attendance: 1,613.
                              Guess Emery fell for the Emmy performance
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Is it my imagination, or have they really increased the number of advertisement-type announcements being made DURING play at the Stafford? To me, it's just so annoying to have them selling tickets for an upcoming event, or talking about sponsors, etc. DURING the play. Didn't they used to confine that mostly to during stoppages in play?

Comment

Working...
                                X