Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Originally posted by CardFan View Post
    He is a Junior and has only played 1 game with UMASS Dartmouth...Interesting!!! Probably should not have left, doesnt seem to get anymore playing time there....

How about this new Sieger character?
    Sieger was a walk on at the beginning of the year, not sure as to why Emery is adding him now, or what the deal is. I'm gonna guess that we shall know something in the coming week or so.
    Jim Reisdorf
    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
      Sieger was a walk on at the beginning of the year, not sure as to why Emery is adding him now, or what the deal is. I'm gonna guess that we shall know something in the coming week or so.
      I guess as the semester draws to a close, there are rumblings most everywhere, from players who are not playing or not happy in general,some move on and some get added on......I GUESS

Comment

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
        I believe he is the same Forward from Long Island, that tried out for Union a couple years ago also as a walk on.
        Last edited by norm1909; 12-07-2011, 01:40 PM.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Their defense surely looks solid, but they need to score goals, and that's the issue.
          Docking's return may be part of the answer to a less than potent offense. He's got a nice touch around the net, (and fresher legs from having missed a few games)

Comment

Cards face top-ranked team again {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Dec. 9, 2011}

Plattsburgh State has already played the first- and second-ranked teams in Division III men's hockey in the last two weeks, plus the then-No. 11 team for good measure.

Now the Cardinals are taking on No. 1 again.

They visit Norwich tonight for a nonconference matchup that will be their final game of the first semester — and the fourth time in their last five games they've faced an opponent ranked in the USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll.

"It's a good thing, though," Plattsburgh senior Matt MacLeod said. "We've played Middlebury, Oswego, Norwich; they're the top teams in the nation. If you can't get up for this game, I don't really know what you can get up for.

"I like playing against these teams, and I think we're ready to go. We just gotta show it (today)."

The Cardinals (6-2-2) are still seeking a win over a ranked team.

No. 1 Norwich beat them, 3-0, Nov. 25 in the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout opener. Plattsburgh was held to 12 shots in that game, although the Cadets only had 18 — they took advantage of two turnovers and then scored an empty-netter.

That game was played on big ice at Middlebury's Kenyon Arena, and Norwich's Kreitzberg Arena also has a larger sheet than the Cardinals skate on at Stafford Ice Arena.

MacLeod said the seventh-ranked Cardinals have made adjustments to their breakout to try to get through Norwich's trap, noting that they spent a lot of time in the neutral zone in the first meeting.

"Last time Norwich did a really good job preventing our forwards from getting open," the defenseman said. "Once we got the puck, we didn't even know really what to do. No one was open. And we'd turn it over right away."

The Cadets (8-0), who went on to win the PrimeLink tournament, are coming off wins over Castleton and Skidmore. They're led offensively by Travis Janke (6-12-18), whose 2.25 points-per-game average ranks second in Division III. Kyle Thomas is right behind him with 15 points.

"The key in any Norwich game is to weather the storm early," Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. "When you play them in their rink, they're a different team. They really come out of the locker room and start the game with a lot of emotion.

"So we're going to have to weather the storm and get good defense early and take care of the puck."

Plattsburgh tied No. 2 Oswego last weekend before beating Cortland. Forward Mark Constantine missed Saturday's game with a shoulder injury, and Emery said he's "iffy" for today's contest.

The Cardinals will close the first part of the season one point out of first place in the SUNY Athletic Conference, and they have been ranked in the top 10 nationally since the preseason. After tonight, they won't play again until hosting the Cardinal Classic Dec. 30-31.

Emery said the defense has been pretty solid — they're tied for fifth in the country with 1.90 goals allowed per game — but he'd like them to put some more pucks in the net.

"And the big thing I have looking back on the semester with one game to go is just that good teams and great teams find a way to win," he said. "We just have to do a little better job finding ways to win."

If they can find a way tonight, MacLeod said it would be the perfect note to end the semester on.

"It'd be unreal. One game left, just give it all we have," MacLeod said. "We already lost to them earlier, so it's just redemption."
            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Cards tie top-ranked Norwich {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Dec. 10, 2011}

Plattsburgh State skated to a tie against top-ranked Norwich, which is better than anyone else has fared against the Cadets.

But the result could have been even better for the Cardinals.

They took a two-goal lead into the third period Friday but then surrendered a pair of goals and settled for the 4-4 draw in a nonconference men's hockey game.

"If you talked about a tie before the game, I might have said, 'We're playing to win, but as long as we don't lose,'" Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. "But when we're up 4-2 and tie, it doesn't transpire into a good tie.

"I think in the third period we played not to lose."

Chris Duszynski tallied the tying goal for the unbeaten Cadets (8-0-1).

The seventh-ranked Cardinals (6-2-3) improved on a 3-0 loss to Norwich two weeks earlier. Plattsburgh doesn't play again until the Cardinal Classic Dec. 30 and 31.

Jared Docking, who hadn't scored a goal this season, notched two in the second period to put the Cardinals in front. He made it 3-2 at 8:54 and then slipped the puck past Parker Carroll on a wraparound shot with just 17 seconds left in the period.

Plattsburgh gave itself the two-goal cushion despite registering just four shots on net in the period.

"Norwich played with great emotion. I think for two periods, we equaled their emotion, and then in the third we didn't," Emery said. "I think we thought we had the game won.

"I kind of sensed it in the locker room after the second period. Everyone was talking about the second period instead of talking about the third."

Emery said he called a timeout six minutes into the third to try to get the Cardinals back on track, but it didn't work. Colin Mulvey put the Cadets within a goal just over a minute later, and Chris Duszynski tied it from out front at 11:42.

Plattsburgh had good chances later in the period and went on a power play with 1:39 left in regulation but couldn't find the net again.

"Once they it tied, it forced us to play again," Emery said. "I'm a big believer in playing the same way for 60 minutes. If you have a two-goal lead, you don't change the way you're playing, and we did. We played on our heels instead of on our toes."

Mathieu Cadieux made 20 saves for Plattsburgh, and Carroll had 17.

Plattsburgh outshot Norwich 11-6 in the opening period and tied it twice. Ryan Craig made it 1-1 in the middle of the period, and Ryan Farnan scored with less than five minutes left.

"We did a great job moving the puck and a great job supporting the puck," Emery said. "We had speed through the neutral zone. That's something we've been really working on the last couple weeks.

"We can learn a lot from this game, good and bad."

Plattsburgh forward Mark Constantine missed his second straight game with a shoulder injury.

Shane Gorman and Doug Lindensmith had the Cadets' first-period goals.
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Norwich vs Plattsburgh, The Re-Match (WPTZ Video Highlights)
                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

RUMOR out of Plattsburgh, a player has been expelled from school..... details to follow when available.
                  Jim Reisdorf
                  Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Keep us posted!

Comment

Are any games in the Card Classic going to be on the web??

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        Are any games in the Card Classic going to be on the web??
                        With the students on break, I'd say there will be even less of a chance than usual. WIRY will be available as always, but you shouldn't hold your breath on video.
                        Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                        A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                        A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                        A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                        Some National Championships:
                        Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                        Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Check out the rear left corner -- I think a certain dancer from the Bean Pot Trot has passed on some mighty slick moves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RdBecrYL6kg
                          Last edited by mjmigliaccio; 12-15-2011, 04:10 PM. Reason: addition/correction

Comment

Originally posted by mjmigliaccio View Post
                            Check out the rear left corner -- I think a certain dancer from the Bean Pot Trot has passed on some mighty slick moves!

The poor guy (Derek Eastman) at 1:57 needs be singing "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth".
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by mjmigliaccio View Post

Clarkie's doing a bit better in Tulsa than a certain quitter goalie who went to the same team, eh? 25 points in 22 games to lead the team.

Meanwhile, the former cardinals over in Knoxville aren't doing terrible either. Satim and VanDermale have 12 and 8 points, respectively, in 17 games. Satim with 10 PIMs already? What? Oh, and that goalie I mentioned earlier... he's 11-1 with a 2.69gaa and .908% in 13 games himself...
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Here is a nice piece on the Cardinal's from Vermont television station WCAX (CBS-3):

Cardinals Sharing Support

"Athletic excellence, academic achievement, community service." This is the philosophy of the Plattsburgh Athletic Department, but the Cardinals hockey team really takes the community service motto to heart.

Coach Bob Emery says, "Our players need to know it's a privilege to play here and once they become a member of the team, I think my job as a coach is not only to teach them how to win, but to teach them life lessons."

That's why the entire team is actively involved with the North Country Down Syndrome Association... A relationship that began several years ago, and brought a very special member to the Cardinals hockey team, Assistant Equipment Manager Matt Thomson... But you can call him Matty.

Thomson has a busy day and says he comes to the rink after work. "Usually I bring the pucks out, bring the cones out, hang the board up, fill the bottles up during practice, and also during the home games. I really enjoy it, I really do."

The team enjoys Matty just as much. Sophomore Goaltender Sam Foley is Matty's buddy, picking him up for games and practice. He says Matty's more than a manager. He's a friend, their number one fan, and sometimes their number one critic.

Foley says, "Matty likes to get on the boys, especially me. The other day for example, in practice I let a pretty weak goal in. Matty has no problem letting me know when I've gotta pick it up, and I like that. He's very competitive. When he's ready to go, he comes to games just as pumped up as any of the guys."

One of the other players with a buddy is Sophomore Forward Nick Jensen. He works with Brett Rotz, a guy he knows is always behind the bench to support him.

Jensen says, "It's fun, he sits right behind our bench. When we come out there, we know he's there. If we had a bad shift, he'll tell us. He'll scream through the glass. If we had a good shift or we score a goal, he's right there. It's a lot of fun, you'll see him every game."

Brett Rotz says, "I come to hockey games because it's my favorite season. I like to watch hockey, it's so much fun."

It means a lot to Brett and Matty to have guys like Nick and Sam around, but the players say they're the one who truly benefit from having Brett and Matty as part of the Cardinals family.

Jensen enjoys having Matty as a manager and says, "He's just a joy to have around. Every time we come for a home game he's right there. Sometimes he gives a short speech or sometimes a little dance move. It's great, the guys love it."

Matty's there every day, day in and day out, just to help us win. That's the ultimate goal He's a great guy to have on the bench and a great influence on the boys," says Foley.

A good influence on the Cardinals, who have built a lasting legacy in the community.
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X