X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ginding away- stop putting sand in my oil... Part 4

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I'm not a parent, so I may be off base, but I would think at that age it would work better to say "I won't tell you when you need to go to sleep, you're old enough to figure that out by yourself, but you need to be up by x time so you can make it to school. If you don't make it to school, you won't be able to participate in the next track/cross country meet." Give him the sense of some responsibility and lay out the consequences. My guess is that he would figure it out pretty quickly, especially if he had to stay home from one meet.
    I am a parent.

For many kids your suggestion would work great. For others, it would not.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      I am a parent.

For many kids your suggestion would work great. For others, it would not.
      Yeah, I understand that. Everyone is different. I'm just thinking back to when I was that age...if it was the fall, I would get home from school and work in the field until 11:00, then have to come home and eat and go to sleep usually by about midnight. Usually didn't do much homework, but I am guessing that I'm the rare kind that didn't do **** in high school and didn't have any problems understanding the material and getting good grades. I was very, very lucky.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Usually didn't do much homework, but I am guessing that I'm the rare kind that didn't do **** in high school and didn't have any problems understanding the material and getting good grades. I was very, very lucky.
        Did you skip kindergarten too?
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
          Did you skip kindergarten too?
          Nope. I don't have any tattoos of subregions of the state I grew up in either.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Here is some sand for Old Pio's Vaseline. You're welcome, OP.

Will Ward Churchill get his job back?

Comment

There is a guy who sits near me that will come over and stand by my desk when I am in the middle of a conversation with someone, and when I stop to ask if he needs something, and he says "just listening in". He's not even on my team. This really, really grinds my gears. This is the same guy that leans over and reads my notes during meetings instead of listening.
              Last edited by jen; 06-05-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                There is a guy who sits near me that will come over and stand by my desk when I am in the middle of a conversation with someone, and when I stop to ask if he needs something, and he says "just listening in". He's not even on my team. This really, really grinds my gears. This is the same guy that leans over and reads my notes during meetings instead of listening.
                Someone needs to meet the fist of death.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  Someone needs to meet the fist of death.
                  or Hammer's shovel...
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                  Northeast Regional:
                  West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

So I go to a concert last night- she's an inde rocker who has appears on the bare edges of pop culture- mainly on the strength of one song that has appeard in an Ad. I can assure you that the crowd knew who she was, but only a handful knew her music. IMHO, it's ok to dance at a show, if you so feel like it, but the knowers were so few that they only got up a few times...

That should give you an idea of the kind of reception she got- more "polite and curious" than fans.

So why in the world did she try to get audience participation so much? Having not ever heard the songs before, I have no idea what they are singing, and there's no way that I can join in what so ever. It's not that the music is bad, but just unfamiliar. It drives me crazy when the artists demand some kind of reaction from a crowd. You earn it, not deserve it- we paid good money to be here- now entertain me.

We had a similar experience a year ago, but the band was a little more familiar, and there were fewer in the audience. I should have known the concert was going to be poor.

Comment

Stupid drivers...they have found new ways to be stupid.

On my way to work today, on a very busy 4 lane highway (not an expressway with exits and onramps, but a 4 lane highway with stoplights), at 2 different times I saw cars take a right turn onto the highway when there is no gap in traffic. They both turned right, on a red light (which was legal, if no traffic was coming), but turned onto the shoulder. They accelerated down the very narrow shoulder, and forced their way into the right lane. If someone tried that right in front of me, they would probably be getting a Dodge Ram implanted in their left-rear quarter panel.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Today, I went to Michigan Works to fill out a few job applications. Well, I get 3/4 of the way through one application and the computer I was on shuts off. Just randomly shuts off, which really grinds my gears.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Obnoxiously loud coffee slurping.

For ****'s sake, if its too hot, let it cool down.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Obnoxiously loud coffee slurping.

For ****'s sake, if its too hot, let it cool down.
                            Any type of eating/drinking noises is enough to drive me to kill. I don't need to hear you chewing like a horse, smacking your lips, and breathing like you just ran a marathon. I always thought it seemed a little ridiculous the reasons people killed in the show Criminal Minds, but when it comes to food noises, I could easily be up there.

Comment

Double post.

I am already sick of the insipid coverage of the upcoming election. This does not bode well. I do not want to watch spinmaster for one side v spinmaster for the other side for the next however many months. If my kid tried to use the 'logic' they use and bend things the way they do he would be laughed out of the room. Makes me wonder how stupid they actually think the public is. Sigh.

Phew- now we are watching about Forrest Boy in Germany. No less insipid but at least not annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Double post.

I am already sick of the insipid coverage of the upcoming election. This does not bode well. I do not want to watch spinmaster for one side v spinmaster for the other side for the next however many months. If my kid tried to use the 'logic' they use and bend things the way they do he would be laughed out of the room. Makes me wonder how stupid they actually think the public is. Sigh.
                                RE: the bolded part. You do realize that a great deal of the public is indeed that stupid, right? That's the problem. We've dumbed down so much of our population that people actually do believe that crap. I weep for our future.

We have an intern at our company right now. A recent graduate from a fine private university; one would assume she would be pretty smart. Well, this happened a few months ago and i'm not making any of it up. At lunch, I walked into the mess hall and she was watching a show about Penguins and Antarctica. She turns to me and asks the following three questions, in this order:

1. Do people live in Antarctica? Like, are there cities there?
                                2. Is Antarctica part of the United States?
                                3. Is it up north?

Hand to God, those were her actual questions she needed answered. I kept myself remarkably composed and politely answered all three questions, then immediately left the room, went back to my desk and thought about killing myself. This is the generation that's going to be in charge in the next decade. Like I said, I weep for our future.

Comment

Working...
                                X