X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ginding away- stop putting sand in my oil... Part 4

You know what grinds my gears?

...Me. I don't learn. I'm in school here, and haven't learned my lesson. I miss too many classes, don't do enough work, don't study enough, and my grades suffer for it. I went through this exact thing at UNH, and barely squeaked by last year here. And to top it all off, I'm unwilling to seek out help. What the **** is wrong with me? I know what I need to do but don't do it.
    UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UNH GH View Post

...Me. I don't learn. I'm in school here, and haven't learned my lesson. I miss too many classes, don't do enough work, don't study enough, and my grades suffer for it. I went through this exact thing at UNH, and barely squeaked by last year here. And to top it all off, I'm unwilling to seek out help. What the **** is wrong with me? I know what I need to do but don't do it.
      You might be not the person for traditional schooling. Find out what you truly love to do.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        You might be not the person for traditional schooling. Find out what you truly love to do.
        I'm a smart guy. Honor Roll through High School, took Honor Level and AP courses. College has been amazingly rough.

I want to be a pilot, and have looked into a bunch of options. It's unfortunately too expensive for me to be able to afford.
        UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          What Brenthoven said-the traditional college route isn't for everyone. And that doesn't mean you have to spend your life digging ditches either.

Another option: pay a visit to your school's counseling center. They have seen this before, and you won't be the last person they talk to about it either. They can help you refocus and find the right motivation if that's what you need, or work with you to find what's best for you schooling- or life-decision-wise.

Comment

I'm a smart guy. Honor Roll through High School, took Honor Level and AP courses. College has been amazingly rough.

I want to be a pilot, and have looked into a bunch of options. It's unfortunately too expensive for me to be able to afford.
            You know what? Not being a smart-arse, or anything, but I love being a forklift jockey. I was on the Honor Roll and took AP classes, too. Graduated in the top 5% of my class (450~ or so). Did the college thing. Hated it. Quit school, joined up with warehousing. LOVE. 17 years and counting; 7 years with one company, 10 years with (most likely) the company I'll retire from.

It requires the skills I'm good at, requires a lot of self-discipline, and requires a mind that can think a few steps ahead. I'll trade riches + student debt for a job I love and make a living off of, every time. No question about it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The truth grinds my gears...

Oh and being right...sure it is fun in a ****ing contest with friends, but when it is about the important stuff I would rather be wrong, everyday, about pretty much everything.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                What Brenthoven said-the traditional college route isn't for everyone. And that doesn't mean you have to spend your life digging ditches either.

Another option: pay a visit to your school's counseling center. They have seen this before, and you won't be the last person they talk to about it either. They can help you refocus and find the right motivation if that's what you need, or work with you to find what's best for you schooling- or life-decision-wise.
                Lots of kids that do the high pressure thing in HS have problems because they go from scheduled every minute to loose, not structured environment. Some people don't do the no structure thing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I would rather be wrong, everyday, about pretty much everything.
                  Huh, seems to me you are. I don't see the problem here...

Comment

UND is more expensive than the college you're currently attending? They have a pretty highly regarded aviation program up there.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      UND is more expensive than the college you're currently attending? They have a pretty highly regarded aviation program up there.
                      The high expense is that he would have to live in Grand Forks. Too high a price to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        The high expense is that he would have to live in Grand Forks. Too high a price to pay.
                        Ah, very true, nothing is worth that sacrifice.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Western Michigan has a good pilot's program, too. You'll be stuck in K-zoo, but Lake Michigan is very close. Much better than a directional Dakota state.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Western Michigan has a good pilot's program, too. You'll be stuck in K-zoo, but Lake Michigan is very close. Much better than a directional Dakota state.
                            If you want to be a ****ty pilot.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Despite being an honor roll/AP student at a well-regarded private high school, I pretty much bombed out of Tech's computer science program my freshman year. The irony is that I got a 5 on the AP CompSci exam as a HS senior. All that score did was get me bumped into the accelerated Java programming class at MTU, where I quickly burned out and lost my taste for the entire field of study.

Bottom line: Life changes and sh*t happens. Figure out what will make you happy while still giving you reasonable job opportunities, and build a career out of that.

Disaster recovery plans are grinding my gears today.

Comment

Agreed on the HS not translating into college success. Finished #4 at my HS with APs and Honors classes (class of 180) in prep school. Nearly failed out of BU before changing my major from biochemistry/molecular biology & pre-med to a double major in History and Religious Studies (and hockey). Now I'm back in school getting my associates in Nursing. *shrug* College isn't for everyone and going back can be even harder, especially if you've been out of the school scene for awhile. Talk to a friend, counselor, professor, someone. Figure out what you love doing...cooking, programming, building stuff, and make that work for you. Looking back, my mom suggested nursing during my first semester, sophomore year of college, had I listened to her then, I'd have saved approximately $75k in loans and I'd already have the degree I'm now pursuing.

Take Christmas break to get some advice and mull things over...

and don't be a stubborn jerk like me.

Comment

Working...
                                X