This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Canned 7 quarts of tomatoes on Sunday and there are probably 7 more out there (6 plants). Been eating them with every meal and giving some away too. Great crop thus far.

Carrots have gotten out of control and are getting almost too big. Might have to just harvest them all and store them. Need to stagger my plantings next year.

Have frozen 4 bags of hot peppers - jalapenos, cayene and mucho nacho. Use them through the year to add heat to soups, salsas and stir fry.

Have cuccs with about every meal too. Green peppers are just starting to be ready for harvesting and we're about to get a huge crop of strawberries.

Comment

ZUkes and S Squash have failed. Cukes anemic. Beans producing like no tomorrow. Tomatoes still working at producing after being topped off by the groundhogs. Overall not a good yr so far.

Comment

I've had a good year. Healthiest tomato plants I've had in years (no blight this year). Lots of cukes, zuke and summer squash. Different eggplant plants than I've used in the past... the Black Beauty's produced much more fruit, but these are OK (forget their name). Not sure how the potatoes will turn out this year... different plot, but the plants look healthy.

Looking for a fall crop, I planted more summer squash at the end of July, more zukes last weekend. Think I'll do OK with the summer sq, but pushing it with the late zuke planting. More spinach and beets planted last week as well. They'll be fine.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Hot peppers are ahead of the tomatillos, so I'm fermentation-pickling some today. I used a few of my jalapenos in a batch of salsa that I'm fermenting, and some thai chilis in a batch of kim chi. Really into fermenting now. I have a batch of kim chi going pretty much all the time, and done batches of beets and daikon (not ones I grew) with good success. Not too happy with the cucumber pickles; I need to experiment with grape leaves or some other way of preventing them from getting mushy.

Comment

I'm up to a grand total of 8 eggs from my 6 chickens this week. I believe 1 or two of them have started laying, and the others should have their egg makers going online soon. Lord knows the brats get enough treats from me here, lots of weeds from the garden, table scraps, and assorted bugs as well. A horsefly doesn't have a prayer of hitting the ground with them. But they don't seem to be all that found of worms.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              I'm up to a grand total of 8 eggs from my 6 chickens this week. I believe 1 or two of them have started laying, and the others should have their egg makers going online soon. Lord knows the brats get enough treats from me here, lots of weeds from the garden, table scraps, and assorted bugs as well. A horsefly doesn't have a prayer of hitting the ground with them. But they don't seem to be all that found of worms.
              I let my chickens out everyday, they rid the yard of most every bug . Dog hasn't had a tick on him in months
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Well, my mom as part of "repayment" for getting her McCartney tickets and partially because she loves gardening helped me finish off my front garden today.

She provided the flowers and planning and I provided the heavy labor and materials. Part of a two-weekend project. Looks good. Should be much easier to maintain in the future since the plants aren't going to be Venus leaf-traps in the fall.

Lots of beautiful maroon and gold lilies and mums with a fire and ice hydrangea, a few sedum transplanted from my backyard disasters, and a couple of other plants I can't remember what they were called though. A bunch of hostas as well. There must have been 18-24 plants we planted.

We also beat back the grape vine that had taken over. Lots of small grapes this year though. She took a ton to see what she could do with them. I also figured out that I have a crab apple that either had never blossomed before this year or I missed it. Gorgeous blossoms earlier in he year and the grape had to be removed before it ruined this tree.

The only thing I need to figure out is what I want to do with the two trees the squirrels planted (an oak and a maple) that are either going to have to be killed or moved. I'd hate to kill them off but they can't stay where they are due to the proximity to the foundation.

This is all part of my five-year rehab for my entire yard. It's my first house and these first few years have shown me that I suck at lawncare and general maintenance. So we are redoing everything and trying to make it a more dx-friendly yard. Still need to aggressively overseed the yard this fall. I need a much thicker lawn to protect the hard clay from getting too dry and keep the weeds at bay

Next year I add the walkway around the front to the back, nuke my "carport" and remove the rocks and seed it with grass.

I'd like to add a firepit, rehab the fence, and repaint/rehab the deck in the next 2-3 years.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

14 quarts and 7 pints today. Took me almost 4 hours.

Ripped out two of the plants as I don't need much more for canning.

Comment

I had an interesting garden-related experience the other day....

I generally wear a broad-brimmed hat when working outdoors to keep sun off head and neck, even if part of the time I am working in the shade.

Anyway. As part of a larger project, I was on hands and knees near some shrubs pulling up sod to transplant elsewhere. I finished and went inside to wash my hands. When I looked in the mirror, lo and behold! there was a praying mantis perched atop my hat.

I went back outside after drying my hands and gently placed my hat atop a lawn chair.

I can see how some cultures came to believe in omens.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I planted grape vines in my back yard over a decade ago. Back then, it was for making wine- I planted Marechal Foch mostly- tried a few Vidal Blanc. Things changed, focus on making wine changed, wanted space changed....

I focused a lot in getting grapes last year, only to have my netting totally useless. Tried again this year, and found why the netting was useless, and made it more useful.

So today, I managed to harvest enough to get 10 cups of good grape juice that I will make into jelly later. Pretty cool.

Probably could have gotten double had I figured out that my neighbor's chickens were brutally agressive eating my grapes.

This fall, I'm going to re-do the trellis, and hope that I can get more. To make wine, I need something close to 6x that amount. Possible- but it will take some planning. Especially fighting the animals.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I planted grape vines in my back yard over a decade ago. Back then, it was for making wine- I planted Marechal Foch mostly- tried a few Vidal Blanc. Things changed, focus on making wine changed, wanted space changed....

I focused a lot in getting grapes last year, only to have my netting totally useless. Tried again this year, and found why the netting was useless, and made it more useful.

So today, I managed to harvest enough to get 10 cups of good grape juice that I will make into jelly later. Pretty cool.

Probably could have gotten double had I figured out that my neighbor's chickens were brutally agressive eating my grapes.

This fall, I'm going to re-do the trellis, and hope that I can get more. To make wine, I need something close to 6x that amount. Possible- but it will take some planning. Especially fighting the animals.
                        Last summer I harvested grapes and made about 4 gallons of grape juice from my 10 yo concords. This year, at least 2/3ds of the vines were dead. The remains produced no grapes. Hope for something better next year.
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                          Last summer I harvested grapes and made about 4 gallons of grape juice from my 10 yo concords. This year, at least 2/3ds of the vines were dead. The remains produced no grapes. Hope for something better next year.
                          My original plan (15 years ago, now that I look back on it) was to get 5 gallons of wine from 6 vines. But they never grew that well. Now I have basically 9 vines of one variety that theoretically can make decent wine.

If not that, I suppose I could dabble in distilling that. You know, for fuel and all....

Comment

Our starter seeds aren't doing well, so went and picked up six tomato plants and planted them in large pots. I'd rather have them in ground, but if they're in pots, I can take them inside the garage for the day here and there when we get a freeze and then bring them back out when it warms up. If that works well, the plants should be around until May or so (if a certain little boy doesn't decide to give them a yank!). Also started up some herbs in pots. Still a bit warm for planting, but we're keeping the pots in a relatively shady spot, so they should survive the next few weeks until things cool down.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              If not that, I suppose I could dabble in distilling that. You know, for fuel and all....
                              Don't waste your time. Distilling fruit, excluding apples (for fuel of course), is a pain and not very productive in the long run in my opinion. I would suggest sticking to corn for distilling. The higher octane rating makes it much better.

Oh, and if you really like fuel to be of the fruit variety then that taste can always be added later.
                              My Four Favorite teams:
                              RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                              Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                                Don't waste your time. Distilling fruit, excluding apples (for fuel of course), is a pain and not very productive in the long run in my opinion. I would suggest sticking to corn for distilling. The higher octane rating makes it much better.

Oh, and if you really like fuel to be of the fruit variety then that taste can always be added later.
                                except that when ripe, there is more sugar in grape juice than there is in corn beer. Grapes ferment to 10-14% ABV, cider and beer generally are lower. Even the high ones are just up to 10.

So, in theory, my 5 gal of wine, I can get ~1/2 gal of fuel. Yea, fuel- that's the ticket.

Comment

Working...
                                X