This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Harvested my sunflower heads and got them stashed for chicken treats for winter.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Still harvesting tomatoes. Cukes and beans are done. Butternut squash volunteer looks like it will produce 2 huge squashes.

Comment

It is the middle of October. I still have tomatoes in my garden, the forsythia has a few blooms, the leaves are still on some of the trees- green and it is 60F and humid. This is so confusing. If I knew I would have fed the tomatoes again a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          It is the middle of October. I still have tomatoes in my garden, the forsythia has a few blooms, the leaves are still on some of the trees- green and it is 60F and humid. This is so confusing. If I knew I would have fed the tomatoes again a few weeks ago.
          I made 6 pints of BBQ sauce this weekend, peppers and tomatoes are blooming.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I made 6 pints of BBQ sauce this weekend, peppers and tomatoes are blooming.

No sooner did I type the above than they tell us we should frost tonight- before heading back to 80F this weekend.

Comment

No sooner did I type the above than they tell us we should frost tonight- before heading back to 80F this weekend.
              Yes
              Might frost, won't be a hard one here. It's Down to 48 but the wind is blowing so not to worried

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Anyone know how to get rid of ivy other than uprooting it?

I tried "poison ivy" killer on regular ivy, no luck. brush killer, no luck. it is so invasive.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Anyone know how to get rid of ivy other than uprooting it?

I tried "poison ivy" killer on regular ivy, no luck. brush killer, no luck. it is so invasive.
                  Depending on where it is you can smother it with heavy cardboard, a thick layer of straw or leaves and then black plastic. That usually works better in the summer with heat

Comment

Depending on where it is you can smother it with heavy cardboard, a thick layer of straw or leaves and then black plastic. That usually works better in the summer with heat
                    I also tried using a string trimmer to cut off all the leaves repeatedly and that seems to work in some areas, except that it is a real test of perseverance....

The real problem is that it is starting to spread into the lawn. Can't use your method or mine there.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      I also tried using a string trimmer to cut off all the leaves repeatedly and that seems to work in some areas, except that it is a real test of perseverance....

The real problem is that it is starting to spread into the lawn. Can't use your method or mine there.
                      Yes you can. You dig in a deep barrier at the edge of the lawn. Hugely labor intensive but it would work.

Comment

Yes you can. You dig in a deep barrier at the edge of the lawn. Hugely labor intensive but it would work.
                        Combined with aggressive uprooting of what's already spread to your lawn. Don't worry about the damage to your lawn. It will recover. Not what you wanted to hear, but unfortunately I don't think there's any other way.

I have that problem with oregano and mint -- also very aggressive spreaders. That positive is that is smells wonderful when I run over it with the lawnmower.

Comment

Raked off all the gardens and fertilized them for the winter. I now stink of fertilizer (not the chemical kind). It is Nov 3 and currently 73 degrees and humid. My Oriental lily is trying to bloom- covered in buds. I have tomatoes still coming despite having a frost and there are things flowering that shouldn't be. Nothing to see here. move on.

Comment

Fun time trying to put in a greenhouse. Under one of the planned locations for a concrete block to help hold it down is an old, buried, stump.

Ugh.

But I'm really excited about this greenhouse, and it's going to drive a new idea I have for feeding my plants.

But gotta get that greenhouse up!

Comment

Jealous

Comment

Jealous
                                Well, not so much. One of the big reasons I have it is squirrels. Little thieves. Thankfully, my wife really likes the food i grow. But with that expense, that puts a lot of pressure on me...

Comment

Working...
                                X