This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

We just put out the netting on the grape vines, as they are ripening quickly. Caught (and squashed) a skeletonizer that was starting to go after the grape leaves.

Hit 105 over the weekend, so most of the garden is fading fast. But we have been getting a good harvest of apples off our tree, and we have a good number of tangerines coming along and a handful of lemons. Plus a small number of peaches that should be ready in the next month or so. I built a screen structure over the peach tree, as it struggles with the summer heat and sun.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      We just put out the netting on the grape vines, as they are ripening quickly. Caught (and squashed) a skeletonizer that was starting to go after the grape leaves.

Hit 105 over the weekend, so most of the garden is fading fast. But we have been getting a good harvest of apples off our tree, and we have a good number of tangerines coming along and a handful of lemons. Plus a small number of peaches that should be ready in the next month or so. I built a screen structure over the peach tree, as it struggles with the summer heat and sun.
      Japanese beetles LOVE grape plants. Which is one of many reasons I think I'm going to kill my grape plant this summer.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Just planted tomatoes, might be a waste of time if the hornworm made it thru this winter. They say you can kill the eggs? cocoon? by rototilling so I hope I got them but if not hopefully I see them before they devastate my crop. Now I need to get beans planted and some squash. We're at least 2 weeks late up here, it was 42 and raining in where I was weds. so I'm in no hurry to get garden in. We had a frost advisory last night but it was in the 40s here.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Just planted tomatoes, might be a waste of time if the hornworm made it thru this winter. They say you can kill the eggs? cocoon? by rototilling so I hope I got them but if not hopefully I see them before they devastate my crop. Now I need to get beans planted and some squash. We're at least 2 weeks late up here, it was 42 and raining in where I was weds. so I'm in no hurry to get garden in. We had a frost advisory last night but it was in the 40s here.
          I used the wally method to plant my beans, squash, cukes and zukes. Last yr the compost made things produce like mad!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            I used the wally method to plant my beans, squash, cukes and zukes. Last yr the compost made things produce like mad!
            I used it today also. Planted many hills of squash, cukes, Zukes etc. It works better for me than planting stuff I started inside. Seems like every time I do that they just die after it rains for 40 days and 40 nights. The seeds come up anyway.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Picked the first few strawberries over the weekend.

Planted two rows of bush beans.

Walrus,

When we know heavy rains are coming, we use gallon-size plastic milk carton containers with the bottom cut off, place one over every small plant. While it is labor intensive, it does protect them from being smashed into the mud....though when you are putting 25 or 30 on in the afternoon and then pulling each one off again the following morning, it can get a bit tedious!
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Picked the first few strawberries over the weekend.

Planted two rows of bush beans.

Walrus,

When we know heavy rains are coming, we use gallon-size plastic milk carton containers with the bottom cut off, place one over every small plant. While it is labor intensive, it does protect them from being smashed into the mud....though when you are putting 25 or 30 on in the afternoon and then pulling each one off again the following morning, it can get a bit tedious!
                I think the issue for wally is flooding and super wet soil

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  I think the issue for wally is flooding and super wet soil
                  Yikes! that means raised beds atop a layer of gravel. lots of work.....
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Japanese beetles LOVE grape plants. Which is one of many reasons I think I'm going to kill my grape plant this summer.
                    Haven't seen any of those around, but I have been checking regularly for more skeletonizers. Probably squashed about 15-20 so far. Picked a couple bunches of grapes this weekend. They are pretty small, but tasty. I'll have to look into how to get them larger. We did catch a couple birds that somehow found their way under the netting to try to get at the grapes, but we chased them off and tried to make it so the birds couldn't do that again.
                    Very well, said.
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

My wife picked the first batch of strawberries yesterday. A little over a pound. It sure has made a difference fencing and netting that patch.
                      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

My strawberries are not even close yet. Still tiny and green. Farms around here say they are late this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                          My strawberries are not even close yet. Still tiny and green. Farms around here say they are late this year.
                          Ours have officially gone nuts. My wife has picked over 40 pounds already, and she's tired.
                          "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

We've been getting a few grape bunches off the vines we planted last year. They're small but tasty. I'll have to do some research on how to get the grapes at least a little larger. Been enjoying the apples off our tree also, but they'll all be gone soon. Citrus on the trees, but they've got a ways to go to ripen. Tore out the tomato plants this morning, as they were pretty much toast from the hot weather. Mostly just maintaining the asparagus plants now in the garden. Potato plants faded the last couple weeks and we planted them late, so we only got a few small ones.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              I've picked about 2 pints so far from our plants. They are a bit slow.
                              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

the chipmunks are fat but nothing out of the garden yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X