X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

My recent reads

Tsar by Ted Bell In this book Alexander Hawke is nursing his wounds in Bermuda when he is called upon to help counter the new threat facing the UK and US from Russia. Non-stop action across the globe as Hawke and his companions try to stop the Russians. In my opinion by far the worst of the Hawke novels a lot of plot holes and really unrealistic scenarios.

Black Mass by Dick Lehr This book details the story of how the Boston FBI office was corrupted by Irish mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger. it detail how Bulger became a confidential informant of the FBI and managed to corrupt them, specifically agent John Connolly. it details the extraordinary lengths that Connolly and other in the office went to over the years to protect Bulger and his cohort Steve Flemmi. An excellent read. This book did not cover the subsequent trial and conviction of Connolly, at the end of the book it mentions he is under investigation or the manhunt for Bulger who ended up on the FBI's Most Wanted for 16 years before being captured in June of 2011.

The Cell by John Miller, Michael Stone and Christ Mitchell The book was written by John Miller the last Western journalist to interview Osama Bin Laden. In this book he outlines the rise of radical Islam from the assassination of Meir Kahane to the first World Trade Center Bombing, the war against the Russians in Afghanistan, the bombings in Saudi Arabia, the bombings of the US embassies in Africa and the Cole and the 9/11 plot. A nicely laid out history of the war of radical Islam and Al Queda against the West.

Treasure Hunt by John Lescroart In this book one of the wheeler dealers in the San Francisco non-profit world is found dead. Enter the Hunt Club the P.I. agency run by Wyatt Hunt. His associate Mickey Dade found the body and one of the prime suspects is his friends sister. The agency becomes involved in the hunt for the killer with a large number of suspects taking center stage. The Hunt Books by Lescroart are not nearly as good as his Dismas Hardy/Abe Glitsky novels.

The Rocket that fell to earth by Jeff Pearlman This is the story of Roger Clemens from the fat kid who shared pitching duties with a girl in little league to the steroid using major leaguer. An excellent chronology of Clemens career and his drive to make the major leagues. My one complaint about the book would be that the author spends much of his time focusing on Clemens negatives of which their are many on not enough on some of the good things he did like visiting sick children in hospitals.

The Manhunter by John Pascucci This book is the autobiography of John Pascucci the former chief of international operations of the US Marshall's. In this book he describes his search for some of the most wanted criminals in the US. Christopher Boyce and Dick Terpil and several Nazi's who had managed to immigrate to America. He also led the team which was sent to South America to verify the death of Joseph Mengle. An ok crime book but quite frankly some of the information and stories told seem unbelievable.

The End of Empire Attila the Hun and the Fall of Rome by Christopher Kelly This book details the part the Huns in particular Attila made in bringing down the Roman Empire in particular the Western Empire as the Eastern managed to hold on in Constantinople for a while longer. This book details how the Goths, Vandals and Huns nibbled away and took large chunks of the Roman Empire and the various treaties and maneuvering by the Emperors and their representatives during this period. An excellent layout in a readable way of the relationship between Attila and Rome.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
      My recent reads

Black Mass by Dick Lehr This book details the story of how the Boston FBI office was corrupted by Irish mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger. it detail how Bulger became a confidential informant of the FBI and managed to corrupt them, specifically agent John Connolly. it details the extraordinary lengths that Connolly and other in the office went to over the years to protect Bulger and his cohort Steve Flemmi. An excellent read. This book did not cover the subsequent trial and conviction of Connolly, at the end of the book it mentions he is under investigation or the manhunt for Bulger who ended up on the FBI's Most Wanted for 16 years before being captured in June of 2011.

The Cell by John Miller, Michael Stone and Christ Mitchell The book was written by John Miller the last Western journalist to interview Osama Bin Laden. In this book he outlines the rise of radical Islam from the assassination of Meir Kahane to the first World Trade Center Bombing, the war against the Russians in Afghanistan, the bombings in Saudi Arabia, the bombings of the US embassies in Africa and the Cole and the 9/11 plot. A nicely laid out history of the war of radical Islam and Al Queda against the West.
      I also really enjoyed Black Mass. If you're into the Whitey Bulger era, particularly the goings on in Southie, I recommend Michael Patrick MacDonald's All Souls: A Family Story from Southie as well as it's "sequel" (it's the follow up to his original, but is autobiographical, so I don't know that sequel is the right term), Easter Rising.

I haven't heard of The Cell, but would recommend The Bin Ladens: An Arabian Family in the American Century by Steve Coll. Coll has done an interesting portrait of the Bin Ladin family starting with Osama's father. It's lengthy, but detailed and well-researched.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        I also really enjoyed Black Mass. If you're into the Whitey Bulger era, particularly the goings on in Southie, I recommend Michael Patrick MacDonald's All Souls: A Family Story from Southie as well as it's "sequel" (it's the follow up to his original, but is autobiographical, so I don't know that sequel is the right term), Easter Rising.

I haven't heard of The Cell, but would recommend The Bin Ladens: An Arabian Family in the American Century by Steve Coll. Coll has done an interesting portrait of the Bin Ladin family starting with Osama's father. It's lengthy, but detailed and well-researched.

I will have to look for the Bin Ladens I greatly enjoyed Ghost Wars by Coll which is all about the wars in Afghanistan from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2011.

Comment

Read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - liked it a lot. Fiction about a family of Christian missionaries that moves to the Congo in the 1960s, their experiences there, and the aftermath. It was nice to read something a little fluffier on the subject than King Leopold's Ghost.

I also read One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell, which is barely worth mentioning. It was pretty dumb. I haven't liked any of her books, which doesn't really explain why I keep trying to read them.

Comment

Recent reads

War of the Godfathers by William Roemer This book details the battle between the Chicago Outfit and the Bonnano crime family over control of Las Vegas during the 80's. A good overview of the battle between the two families, though Roemer a former FBI agent has a more detailed knowledge of the Chicago family. This details all the battles, hits and attempts of law enforcement to stop the war and bring them to justice. The book also details the final aftermath of the battle the elimination, for the most part, of the mob from Vegas.

Alexander Hamilton American by Richard Brookheiser For those who do not want to read Ron Chernow's 800 page biography of Hamilton this 220 page version by Brookheiser will fit the bill. A brief history of Hamilton's extraordinary life is broken down into short chapters and covers the highlights of Hamilton's life. It doesn't go into great detail in any aspect but is a nice overview of Hamilton's life. For anyone wanting the full details of Hamilton's life they should read the above mentioned biography by Chernow.

Comment

Recent Reads Alexander the Great at War by Ruth Shepard An excellent book detailing the military campaigns of Alexander the great. Lots of maps describing the campaigns and details of the various battles and sieges. Excellent photo's of ancient objects and sites and drawings showing what Alexander's troops and opponents would have looked like.

Little Known Facts about Well Know Places New York by David Hoffman This is an OK book describing various fun facts about New York City, like the Rockette's were originally from Missouri. A very quick read as their are only one or two facts per page. I am glad that I picked it up as a bargain book because full price would have been too much to pay.

Comment

I finished "Game of Thrones" & have moved onto "A Clash of Kings". Still re-reading "Naked" as part of a book club thing w/a friend, that was delayed due to me not having power for nearly a week during the whole Snowtober thing & some other things. Good stuff, though.
                Live Free or Die!

Celeste & Sydney Recovery Fund

Comment

Recent reads

Shadows in the Jungle by Larry Alexander This book details many of the missions of the Alamo Scouts an elite reconnaissance force established by General Macarthur in the Pacific, he didn't trust the OSS. These small units of soldiers would go onto the islands in the Pacific ahead of the invasion force and scout out targets and landing zones for the Navy. The Alamo Scouts conducted 108 missions behind enemy lines killing more than 500 Japanese soldiers and rescuing hundreds of enemy P.O.W's and civillians held by the Japanese. They conducted the scouting missions and participated in the Great Raid where the Army Rangers rescued many of the survivors of the Bataan Death March. The most remarkable part of their story is not a single Alamo Scout was ever captured or killed in combat. An excellent book though some of the stories do read a little bit like a mission brief as opposed to an engrossing story.

The Emperors of Rome by David Potter This was an okay book with an overview of the Emperors of Rome from Julius Caesar to the end. They have brief overviews of the emperors and detail the events going on in the Empire during each of their reigns. They do have lots of maps detailing the make up of the empire during the periods and they have photo's of the various monuments, baths, amphitheatres and other buildings built by the various emperors. An okay overview but many of the emperors deserve more than a few pages.

Buried Prey by John Sandford This is a good effort from Sandford. His main character Lucas Davenport is faced with a "blast from the past" when a construction crew uncovers the bodies of two you girls buried for many years. It turns out that their disappearance was one of the first cases he worked on when he was just starting out on the force. There is a long flashback sequence where they follow the young Davenport through the case and the apparent death of the perpetrator. Then the book comes back to the present where Davenport who had felt in the past that they were after the wrong man searches for the real killer. Excellent read.

The 9th Judgement by James Patterson Another so so effort from the Womens Murder Club. They have their moments but the series has steadily been getting worse. In this effort a man is gunning down women and their children and holding the city for hostage threatening to continue to kill until he is paid. A very quick read as usual and nothing special.

Comment

Just finished Theo Fleury's autobio....wow. He's led one messed up life.

Got "Ni**er" today. Written by a legal scholar exploring everything about the word (origins, how the meaning has changed over the years, etc). It's an old book (released maybe 15 years ago or so), and I remember the controversy around it, but it did get great reviews. I can't wait to read it.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Got "Ni**er" today. Written by a legal scholar exploring everything about the word (origins, how the meaning has changed over the years, etc). It's an old book (released maybe 15 years ago or so), and I remember the controversy around it, but it did get great reviews. I can't wait to read it.
                      A good comic strip to follow: Tom the Dancing Bug
                      pay attention to the study questions, kids!
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Recent reads

Rush Limbaugh: An Army of One by Zev Chafets This is a pretty straight biography of Rush Limbaugh. the author details his ups and downs in the radio industry on his way to nationwide notoriety. He explores his marriages his battle with drug addiction and foremost his influence on American politics. If you are looking for a hit piece this is not the book for you but if you are looking for a biography this will be a good read.

Portrait of a Spy by Daniel Silva Another good page turner from Daniel Silva. In this one Gabriel Allon is once again drawn back into the spy business, a reoccurring theme in Silva's books. Multiple suicide bombers explode over Europe and the CIA and Mossad believe a charismatic former CIA asset is responsible in conjunction with a bomber the Israeli's have been searching for for years. Gabriel forms his team to try to take them down from within by recruiting a unusual asset a Muslim woman. Twist and turns abound with lots of non stop action.

The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen This Rizzoli and Isles book delves into the supernatural as they are called out on Christmas Eve to the death of a young women surrounded with symbols of the occult. They cross paths with a mysterious group of crime solvers called the Mephisto Club who have unusual law enforcement access. They along with the detectives race to stop this serial killer killing spree. Some nice twists and turns and lots of occult and satanic references.

Comment

Recent Reads

The Perfect Husband by Lisa Gardner In this thriller a woman married to a serial killer shows up at a retired mercenaries house asking him to train her to defend herself. Her ex-husband a former cop has escaped from prison and is intent on hunting her down and killing her and kidnapping their daughter. The book starts with the training with her very troubled teacher and his sister and then ends with the exciting showdown with the ex-husband. An okay read

The Race by Clive Cussler This 4th installment of Cussler's Isaac Bell series is set in 1910 and follows a airplane race across the United States. One of the contestants is a woman and her ex-husband is trying to kill her along the route. there is also a saboteur who is making the planes fall from the sky. Isaac bell and the Van Dorn detective agency have been tasked to protect the woman from being killed. The storyline is typical Cussler and is pretty good. The historical accuracy of the era when describing the planes and how the pilots fly is interesting.

Phantom Prey by John Sandford This Lucas davenport effort from Sandford is okay. A rich woman arrives home to find blood all over her home and her daughter missing presumed dead. When the police get nowhere in the investigation she pressure's davenport through his wife to look into the case. Her daughter was involved in the Goth scene in Minneapolis and other acquaintances of her daughter start turning up dead. An okay effort but not nearly as good as most of Sandford's books.

Shockwave by John Sandford The latest Virgil Flowers book is excellent. In this case Virgil goes to a small town where a bomber is trying to stop the construction of a new Pyemart in town. He attempted to blow up the board of director and CEO of the company and now he is focusing on the people in town associated with the project.

Comment

Just finished reading Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America by Jeff Ryan. An interesting and informative read on the history of Nintendo and the character of Mario.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              Just finished reading Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America by Jeff Ryan. An interesting and informative read on the history of Nintendo and the character of Mario.
                              *notes that the book deals with pop culture AND how much of society was affected, and adds to list*

I love these types of books. Nintendo mastered what Atari/Commodore started, and greatly affected the upbringings of generations.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                *notes that the book deals with pop culture AND how much of society was affected, and adds to list*

I love these types of books. Nintendo mastered what Atari/Commodore started, and greatly affected the upbringings of generations.
                                And ruined the country by taking kids in from the outside playing sports and put them in front of a TV with a Mountain Dew and a bag of potato chips for hours on end.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X