X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Remember when Krispy Kreme opened up here and people waited for hours for overrated glazed doughnuts. People will do anything for crappy food...especially people who bleed gravy when they cut themselves
    I remember those lines showing up on the news. IIRC, they were saying those lines were normal for Krispy Kreme openings across the nation. They're not worth the wait. That said, I've still never eaten at Chick-Fil-A.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Chik Fil-A is solid, but I wouldn't wait in a long line for it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Chik Fil-A is solid, but I wouldn't wait in a long line for it.
        Agreed. And it goes without saying that airport CFA is not the real deal. There was a big difference between my experience at the Philly airport a few years back, and my experience at the stand-alone store in St. George, UT last fall.

Comment

At the same time, it's good we've completely derailed this book thread with talk of fast food though...
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            At the same time, it's good we've completely derailed this book thread with talk of fast food though...
            That never happens around here.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
              They did say In and Out was not a bad fast food chain. The book was written awhile ago, and I wonder how much has changed. Wealthier people's tastes are moving more toward "healthier" options and being concerned about where their food comes from. I thought the book would focus more on the food itself rather than the business practices, but both are depressing. Having said that, I'll still eat at Chick-Fil-A.
              For fast food options near my place of work, I have:

Panera Bread, Subway, Wendy's, McDonald's, Arby's. Panera wins by default.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                For fast food options near my place of work, I have:

Panera Bread, Subway, Wendy's, McDonald's, Arby's. Panera wins by default.
                Their food is so salty it is unpalatable. When lil was lil we stopped there once for chicken soup. He literally took one bite and refused the rest even though he was 'staaaarved Mum!'

Comment

Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - very good, enjoyed it. I thought it was well-written so non-medical people could understand it. Didn't know anything about her or HeLa. Boy, her kids got dealt a raw hand, in a lot of ways (they also effed up by themselves, in a lot of ways).
                  Last edited by jen; 06-08-2016, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - very good, enjoyed it. I thought it was well-written so non-medical people could understand it. Didn't know anything about her or HeLa. Boy, her kids got dealt a raw hand, in a lot of ways (they also effed up by themselves, in a lot of ways).
                    NPR did a big story on this some time ago. It was really interesting.

Comment

My recent reads

The Gangster (Isaac Bell #9) by Clive Cussler, Justin Scott This Isaac Bell novel finds him tracking down the Black Hand who are terrorizing immigrants in NYC. He helps set up the Van Dorn Agency’s Black Hand squad he then finds a more sinister plot at work as it appears as if President Roosevelt has been targeted can he crack the case?

Sharpe's Gold (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #9) by Bernard Cornwell This book follows the typical Sharpe plot, he is recruited by someone, in this case the Duke of Wellington, to do a dangerous job that may lead to his death. Along the way he meets and seduces a beautiful woman which usually does fare well for her. In this case he and his company are sent behind the lines to get/steal Spanish gold and bring it back to help the British defeat Napoleon. Along the way he battles the French, Spanish Partisans and even some members of his own Army. Good read

The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie #4) by Lisa Gardner Not the best in the Quincy Rainie series. This finds Kimberly at the FBI Academy where she runs across the body of a woman on the Marine Base. A Georgia detective on a training assignment there believes that this is connected to a serial killer from Georgia and Quincy and Rainie come to consult. Kimberly is drawn into the case at the risk of ruining her own career as they proceed to step all over the FBI’s toes.

Independence Day (Dewey Andreas #5) by Ben Coes Dewey Andreas is back at home recovering from the death of his fiancé when he is drawn back into the CIA after a nuclear bomb is stolen and on its way from Russia to the United States. After several teams in Russia are ambushed and wiped out by the terrorists he finds himself alone on the ground with some unlikely allies to try and stop the weapon.

Back Spin (Myron Bolitar #4) by Harlan Coben This Myron Bolitar book finds him at the US Open trolling for clients when he is drawn into a kidnapping of the golfer in the lead. Is this a plot to get him to lose the tournament? He is drawn into the past of his friend Win as the golfer is married to Win’s cousin and is asked to look into it by Win’s estranged mother. Typical Bolitar book

The Gold Ring: Jim Fisk, Jay Gould, and Black Friday, 1869 by Kenneth D. Ackerman A good book that tells the story of Jim Fisk and Jay Gould’s attempt to corner the Gold market in 1869. He sets the table by having a brief overview of how Fisk and Gould came to control the Erie Railroad in their battle with Cornelius Vanderbilt and how they came to be connected to Boss Tweed. The rest of the book details how Gould meticulously planned to corner the Gold market thru the influence of politicians and the media and the aftermath of the corner. Good read

Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck #4) by James Grippando The 4th Swyteck novel finds him defending the adoptive mother of his son, which he found out about in the 3rd book, she is accused of killing her husband a Marine at Guantanamo. The case unfolds in Miami with tons of political drama as the Marine’s father is an active anti-Castro man in Miami and Jack’s main witness is a Cuban soldier who was watching the base. More and more plot twists unfold as the case get more difficult for Jack and the politically hungry US attorney prosecuting his client.

A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House by Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. The first thing about this book, I read the unabridged version wish I knew there was an abridged one, is that it is written by a Kennedy confidant and insider so you’re going to hear nothing negative about JFK. In addition it is painfully detailed some items which probably could be covered in a couple of pages are drawn out for 10,15,25 pages. Right in the beginning of the book, the large amount of pages taken to describe how they decided on LBJ as Vice President could have been edited. It’s okay for what it is, a very pro account of the Kennedy Presidency.

Eisenhower's Guerrillas: The Jedburghs, the Maquis, and the Liberation of France by Benjamin F Jones I really wanted to like this book. I expected it to be stories of the French Resistance, OSS and Soe sabotaging the Nazis in France, staging raids disrupting the Nazi attempts to throw the allies back after they land in Normandy. Unfortunately the book has not enough of that. It spends a lot more time immersed in the political picture that both Churchill and FDR, especially FDR were reluctant to involve or trust Charles De Gaulle and the Free French to any real degree and how this hampered the teams being sent into France in advance of D-Day and their supply and effectiveness after D-Day.

Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks The first book in another trilogy by Terry Brooks finds the Druids of Paranor in search of the lost Elfstones that have been missing for generations. Mistrusted by the Elves and stalked by a new leader in the Southland they must gather their allies, including some normal characters Ohmsford’s, Leah’s and Rovers, and go into danger to try to save the lost magic from falling into the wrong hands. Didn’t like it quite as much as his first novels but this shows a little more promise than the “prequel” novels that I just finished reading.
                      Last edited by Probert; 06-11-2016, 08:17 AM.
                      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Forgot to post about this one - Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. A little weird, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Goodreads has it listed as a series, but there's only one book. Is he writing more?

Comment

Recent reads, passed the century mark for 2016 24 books ahead of my goal to read 150 for the year.

Over the Edge (Alex Delaware #3) by Jonathan Kellerman The 3rd Deleware novel finds him a Milo on the opposite sides of a case when one of Alex’s former patients escapes from an institution and is arrested as a serial killer. Alex is retained by the defense for a psychological evaluation and starts to believe there is more to the case. Good read

Sharpe's Escape (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #10) by Bernard Cornwell Sharpe is still in Portugal in this novel fighting the French with Wellington. As usual he is having problems, a young lieutenant is in his unit bucking for his job and he happens to be related to Colonel Lawson who Sharpe admires and has known since India. Sharpe wonders what may happen to his command. Sharpe runs afoul of a Portuguese Major and his brother, who are conspiring with the French, and finds himself behind the lines with Sgt. Harper and English Governess and Portuguese Captain Vincente, from several books ago, they are forced to try to get to Lisbon ahead of the them while avoiding the French. Follows the typical Sharpe format but another excellent book in the series.

Richard III: A Ruler and his Reputation by David Horspool This is a straight forward analysis of Richard III that tries to piece together the limited record of his rise to power and how he was treated after losing power to the Tudor’s. It’s pretty slow and not quite as interesting as you would expect based on the material.

The Last Mile (Amos Decker #2) by David Baldacci The Second Amos Decker book from Baldacci finds him at the FBI using his total recall memory to help close out cold cases as part of a new team. The team opts at his insistence to go after a case similar to his own. A former football star convicted on killing his parents who got a last minute reprieve from the gas chamber when another man confesses to the crime. The team may have bitten off more than it asked for when people associated with the case start dropping like flies and politicians don’t like the direction the case is going. A good follow up to the first book.

Private Paris (Private #10) by James Patterson Another city another Private office, Jack Morgan finds himself in Paris trying to track down the on the run granddaughter of a wealthy client who is being pursued by thugs and trying to break up the plot of AB-15 a group that is seeking to unleash havoc on the city of lights. Working with and being frustrated by the local authorities the members of Private Paris seek out the group. Personally I think the Private series would be better if they kept the same characters in every one and didn’t have to introduce a whole bunch of new characters working in whatever city office Jack Morgan has decided to visit.

The Steel Kiss (Lincoln Rhyme #12) by Jeffery Deaver This Lincoln Rhyme book has a very interesting premise, a person is killing people using their own smart technology against them. His and Amelia’s cases collide and they attempt to track the killer down before more people are injured or killed.

Sharpe's Fury (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #11) by Bernard Cornwell This Sharpe novel finds him in Cadiz, seeking to help out his patron the Duke of Wellington’s brother obtain some love letters that have fallen into the wrong hands and could be damaging to Britain. He once again finds himself dealing with Lord Pumphrey. Probably my least favorite of the Sharpe series so far.

The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy by Robin Moore This book about the story of the French Connection is not the most thrilling. Large portions of the book involve surveillance and ground work like serving warrants and interviewing people not exciting gun fights and the like. OK read

Silent Partner (Alex Delaware #4) by Jonathan Kellerman This Delaware book finds him running into an old flame at a faculty event at a time when he is having troubles in his current relationship. They make a time to meet and then she commits suicide. As he looks into it he finds himself entangled in a decades old cover up and mystery. A very confusing and tough to follow story my least favorite of the Delaware books.

Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising #1) by Larry Bond, Jim DeFelice This book sets a scenario in the future where due to Global Warming China is suffering and becoming even more aggressive towards its neighbors. The book is all about an invasion of Vietnam and the actions of the US to try and hold them up in addition to getting evidence that China started the conflict out to the world. It follows several characters a US scientist with proof the Chinese started the conflict. A CIA agent trying to get him out of the country and a Chinese commando seeking to track them both down. It also follows the Chinese advance in Vietnam and a US Special Forces soldier who is a champion “war gamer” in stopping the Chinese who is called upon to do it in the real world.

House Blood (Joe DeMarco #7) by Mike Lawson This Joe DeMarco book finds him tasked with looking into the case of a man in prison for murdering his partner. Initially Joe feels it is a dead case that will soon be over until he finds information that may clear the man and he finds himself targeted by powerful forces. Joe and his pal Emma must expose the conspiracy and spring the innocent man from prison. Good read.

Bloodfire Quest by Terry Brooks While I am enjoying this trilogy it appears to be a rehash of the High Druid series, a group is trapped inside the Forbidden beset by the demons within it, and the Elfstones of Shannara , the Ellcrys is dying and a young elven girl must take the seed to the Bloodfire and the Elven people must prepare to hold out against the Demon Army until the chosen returns. The Elfstones is one of my favorite books of all time and I wasn’t that crazy about the High Druid series. This is okay but some on the character are barely developed or described, the new Southland leader or Skint or Coram and several of the plotlines seemed to be rushed along. It’s good but not great, I’m interested to see how it concludes.
                          Last edited by Probert; 07-09-2016, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Finally started and finished The Power Of The Dog by Don Winslow. Yeah, that sure is a mix of fact and fiction. I had read that he changed a couple names and places, just enough to make it "fiction," but yeah, pretty obvious that it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Loved it.

Definitely going to have to get the followup (The Cartel)
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Finally started and finished The Power Of The Dog by Don Winslow. Yeah, that sure is a mix of fact and fiction. I had read that he changed a couple names and places, just enough to make it "fiction," but yeah, pretty obvious that it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Loved it.

Definitely going to have to get the followup (The Cartel)
                              It's an old book, published in 1961, but Mila 18, about the Ghetto uprising in Warsaw during the war is a great read.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Recent reads

Daniel Webster: The Man and His Time by Robert V. Remini A long biography of long time Senator and 2 time Secretary of State Daniel Webster. Tells the story of his early life in New Hampshire, his early law career and his start in politics. I always knew he was one of the big three in Congress during the 1820-1840’s, along with Henry Clay and John C Calhoun, but his prowess as an attorney practicing before the Supreme Court and his involvement in many landmark cases was something I didn’t know. It explores his relationships with other politicians, as a typical politician he was ruthlessly out for himself and burned many bridges. His problems with the Whig party when he remained Secretary of State after John Tyler broke with them and his many achievements as Secretary of State. It also explores his failures, his failed attempts to achieve the Presidency. Ironically he could have become President twice as the Whigs wanted him to be Vice President to William Henry Harrison but he refused to be VP to an inferior man and he was considered for VP for Zachary Taylor but once again declined being put into consideration for the second spot. It also details his money problems and the ”legal” but ethically questionable at the time illegal today where he took loans and money from industrialists in order to give up his law career to serve in the Senate. A very good read, it probably could have been trimmed a little bit.

Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11) by Stephen Coonts As a precursor, if you are a fan of Barak Obama you probably will not like the book. It’s premise is that the progressive President, Barry Soetoro, has used several terrorist attacks in the United States to declare martial law and throw all who disagree with him into detainment camps. Texas and several other states secede and it follow what would happen with the breakdown of society in the US. Rioting looting, hording of food. What happens in cities when the power is cut and food and other necessities are unable to get thru. Jake Grafton has obviously been termed an enemy and is detained and tortured as they try to get him to confess to a plot to kill the President. Ok for what is was but not nearly as good as the other Grafton/Carmellini novels.

Witch Wraith by Terry Brooks A decent conclusion to the trilogy. As I stated with my review of the earlier books, this appears to be a mish mash of the Elfstones and the High Druid of Shannara. The whole Grianne Ohmsford storyline didn’t make sense to me, unless it sets up a different series of books. On a whole I much prefer the characters from the earlier books.

Gorky Park (Arkady Renko #1) by Martin Cruz Smith This was an okay crime novel, with the movie and the various reviews I thought it would be better. The descriptions of Moscow and Soviet society during the USSR days are the compelling parts of the storyline to me. The ending was quite surprising.

Assassin's Accomplice by Kate Clifford Larson This is an excellent account of the life of Mary Surratt who was executed for her participation in the Lincoln Assassination. The book helps debunk many of the myths espoused over the years to claim her innocence. It puts into perspective, what she knew, when she knew it and her participation in the plot, at the very least as an active supporter of Booth and his compatriots. It follows the trial and how her lawyers helped prove her guilt rather than prove her innocence.

Gone (Quincy & Rainie #5) by Lisa Gardner The 5th book of the Quincy and Rainie series finds Rainie kidnapped and Quincy after initially being a suspect trying to find her along with a Taskforce. With Kimberly and Mac in town as well they find themselves run around town by a kidnapper who seems to have an ulterior motive. Good read.

Sharpe's Battle (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #12) by Bernard Cornwell The 12th Sharpe book finds him still in Spain. He runs afoul of a French General when he executes 2 of his men for raping and plundering. When he is then tasked with training the King of Spain’s guard many who are disgruntled Irishmen he finds himself attacked by the same General. Barely escaping with his life he finds himself under a possible inquiry for conduct unbecoming an officer and is taken off the lines as a great battle against the French approaches. Obviously as in many of the other books he finds a way to extricate himself from trouble and save the day. Typical Sharpe book in the middle of the ones I have read so far.

Time Bomb (Alex Delaware #5) by Jonathan Kellerman This book finds Alex called to help out children involved in a school shooting. The case becomes more involved when the father of the shooter asks Alex to look into her innocence. Finding himself beset by politicians and finding more than meets the eye Alex wonders if there is more to the simple open and shut case initially portrayed. Ok read.

Major Andre by Anthony Bailey I’ll be honest when I first got this book, I thought it was a biography of Major John Andre. It is not. This is a fictional account written from his point of view of his meeting with Benedict Arnold, his journey to British lines and subsequent capture and his imprisonment, trial and execution. It was a good read depicting this interesting time in Revolutionary War history.

Vanished (Nick Heller #1) by Joseph Finder A very good book. Nick Heller, a private investigator former special forces soldier is called by his nephew to find his brother who has been kidnapped. Despite being estranged from his brother. As he investigates he finds out that his brother may not be so innocent after all.

Edge of War (Red Dragon Rising #2) by Larry Bond, Jim DeFelice The continuation of the Red Dragon series finds Josh Macarthur and Ma along with their CIA handler and the Navy Seals trying to make it out of Vietnam before the Chinese invasion is finished. The US liaison Major Zeus is trying to come up with ways to keep the Chinese at bay. Very similar to the first book and the overall storyline of the series only gets moved along slightly and mainly in the last 100 pages or so.

The Passage of Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson #4) by Robert A. Caro The 4th of Caro’s Lyndon Johnson series, with a least 1 more to go, covers roughly 1958-1964. It follow Johnson’s waffling on whether or not he will run for President in 1960. How he really thinks he will get it without trying and after he is outmaneuvered by Kennedy he tries too late to grab the nomination. It tells the story, with multiple versions on how he is picked and then decides the accept the nomination for the Vice Presidency and then how he helps Kennedy get elected. It tells of his 3 years in the wilderness as Vice President where he has basically no power and is forced to kowtow to men he once held great power over as majority leader. Lastly it covers the assassination and the period following it when he ascended to the Presidency. The depths of the animosity between himself and Bobby Kennedy is explored in depth. Not quite as good as Master of the Senate in my opinion but an excellent read.

The Echo Man (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #5) by Richard Montanari The 5th in this series finds the detectives investigating someone who is killing people who were accused but not convicted of murder and their accomplices. They are found near the sites of the former murders. As they investigate they discover a connection to Kevin’s first case as a homicide detective. Not the best of the series but an okay read.

Comment

Working...
                                X