This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book Thread number ?

Just finished Tommy's Honor and really enjoyed it. Story of old and young Tom Morris. If you have any interest in golf and its roots/history, it's a must read. The "professionals" and "amateurs" of the 19th century were quite different than today. The last two chapters are wonderful, but sad.

Comment

This weeks reads

Assassin by Ted Bell The second Hawke book from ted bell starts with a bang as his wife is gunned down exiting the chapel on their wedding day. His quest for vengence pits him against terrorists named the Emir and the Dog have him racing to stop the assassinations of American Ambassadors across the world.

The Apostle by Brad Thor In this latest Scot Harvath book from Thor. Harvath has left the government but is once again dragged back in as the daughter of one of the new President's largest donors has been kidnapped in Afghanistan. In exchange they are requesting the release of a captured Taliban commander. Harvath goes in to try and rescue the media moguls daughter before time runs out. A quick read with non stop action.
      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Well ****. I just finished the five existing books of A Song of Ice and Fire. Now what do I do?
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Well ****. I just finished the five existing books of A Song of Ice and Fire. Now what do I do?

Wait 5 years for the next one of course!

I'm dragging my feet on FFC, the plot slowing down gave me enough of an excuse to cease my book every 2 days pace. Don't want it to end.

Comment

My wife and I continue reading Les Miserables, having passed the 500 page mark. Just finished reading a long section where street urchins in Paris are discussed in a whole lot of detail.

We're also finishing up Unplanned, the story of the struggles of Abby Johnson, a longtime stalwart of Planned Parenthood who left the organization after realizing what was going on. Very gripping read.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Start playing the game, or, I don't know, read an adult book?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                start playing the game, or, i don't know, read an adult book?
                There's a game?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                  There's a game?!?!?
                  Wikipedia says so.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    Wikipedia says so.
                    Huh, yeah, RTS coming out in a few weeks.
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Read something else.

If you're hankering to get into another series with big books that's only partway done, I recommend Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear (if you haven't read them already).
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

I am still working my way thought the list of top 100 Fantasy and SciFi novels...and I just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I really enjoyed this one, although I am surprised it was on the list (#80). I am not sure I would put it in my personal top 100. The novel is set in modern day London and follows a unsuspecting man who is caught up in the Underworld of London in which he is drafted into help a young Underworld woman on a quest to find out who killed her family. Gaiman's mix of the real world, theology, and pure fantasy was unique. A good quick read that is worth the time.

I enjoyed it enough that I am onto Gaiman's American Gods which is #48.
                        My Four Favorite teams:
                        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                          I am still working my way thought the list of top 100 Fantasy and SciFi novels...and I just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I really enjoyed this one, although I am surprised it was on the list (#80). I am not sure I would put it in my personal top 100. The novel is set in modern day London and follows a unsuspecting man who is caught up in the Underworld of London in which he is drafted into help a young Underworld woman on a quest to find out who killed her family. Gaiman's mix of the real world, theology, and pure fantasy was unique. A good quick read that is worth the time.

I enjoyed it enough that I am onto Gaiman's American Gods which is #48.
                          Who put together the list you are working through? Have a link? I think NPR put together something similar recently.

Have fun with American Gods, it's one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                            Who put together the list you are working through? Have a link? I think NPR put together something similar recently.

If I recall correctly (I just printed out the lists), the lists I am using are here: Sci-Fi Top 100 and here: Top 100 Fantasy.

A while back I googled around and found several lists. They are all pretty much alike and I just chose those to go with. The only real differences are the specific order (which I do not care about) and then some of the low ranking ones (certain books on some lists while not on others). Basically I am interested in the top 50, more or less, of each list. Most I have read but I want to hit them all in the Top 50 on each list.
                            Last edited by MattS; 09-20-2011, 09:53 AM.
                            My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                              Not a fiction guy, and yes, I agree with DC. A book I could not put down.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Not a fiction guy, and yes, I agree with DC. A book I could not put down.
                                I hope it picks up. I am about 120 pages into it and so far I am unimpressed.
                                My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

Working...
                                X