This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

I finished reading The Fort (novel about the Penobscot Expedition) last night and ended up seriously ****ED at Paul Revere. What a jackwagon.
    (note it was written (smugly) by a Brit)
    Last edited by geezer; 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Rabbit, Run; John Updike (1960)

I've read this before, but I read a biography on Updike last year so I thought I might read the "Rabbit Angstrom" tetralogy again. Actually I've never read the fourth, Rabbit at Rest.

Has anyone out there read Updike's "Bech" books? Maybe I should read those instead?
      Last edited by aygwm2; 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM.
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

It occurred to me that I've never read all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, so with my next purchase, I will fix that.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          It occurred to me that I've never read all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, so with my next purchase, I will fix that.
          You can purchase versions that have the entire group of books combined in a single binding, to get readers a cheaper version.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Usher, B. H. Fairchild (2009)

Fairchild is a poet with midwestern roots and a world of knowledge and experience. Great images. Sometimes a bit too esoteric for me, but many of his poems hit home or strike a chord.

Earlier in this thread I had noted his most recent, The Blue Buick: New and Selected Poems (2014) which also includes selections from Usher .
            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              You can purchase versions that have the entire group of books combined in a single binding, to get readers a cheaper version.
              THis is the kind of stuff I get at the library. My library even lets you download books to you kindle/etc

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                THis is the kind of stuff I get at the library. My library even lets you download books to you kindle/etc
                I do too, but he's talking about buying books, and thus my response. I only tend to purchase new releases that I want to read ASAP.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

One of these years, I will read the three volumes of The Civil War, by Shelby Foote, by borrowing them. My previous library had one set of them, so I figure my current one, in a town twice the size, has at least one set themselves.

Comment

I do too, but he's talking about buying books, and thus my response. I only tend to purchase new releases that I want to read ASAP.
                    Found it for $11.35 on Amazon. Purchased.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      One of these years, I will read the three volumes of The Civil War, by Shelby Foote, by borrowing them. My previous library had one set of them, so I figure my current one, in a town twice the size, has at least one set themselves.
                      I don't know if the library has them but when I read the whole series 4-5 years ago I read 9 single volumes, each of the 3 books is divided into 3 books/sections. I bought them on special at either B&N or Borders for $1.99 so it cost me $18 to get them all in hardcover. Not sure if that was a special release or what.
                      Last edited by Probert; 01-18-2016, 09:13 AM.
                      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

ditto. I usually only purchase books I am likely to read again.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        We have a library consortium (not sure how many are in it but quite a few). You get on line, reserve a book. If the home library doesn't have it then they pull it from another one. They email you when it is ready for pick up. How can you beat that?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          They're sitting on one of my bookshelves. Want to borrow them?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

ditto. I usually only purchase books I am likely to read again.
                            Likely to? Preferable. There are some that I have bought because I think they are necessary for a decent source of knowledge/reference/etc. Of course, I rarely buy fiction, so that factors into such things.

Edit: for example, every book reader should have a copy of things like "The Art Of War" by Sun Tzu and "The Prince" by Machiavelli.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              I like Sci Fi. Some books that may be off the beaten track, but were entertaining
                              I'm about a quarter of the way through Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. Highly recommend.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Edit: for example, every book reader should have a copy of things like "The Art Of War" by Sun Tzu and "The Prince" by Machiavelli.
                                I shudder at anyone claiming 'everyone should own a copy of x', whether it's a book, movie, or what have you. No matter how important you feel the work is - it is not required to resonate the same way with everyone, and there's nothing wrong with them if it doesn't. I've been anti-canon for a long time, and I have a literature degree, for pete's sake. Read what you want. If someone else likes it too, great, but it's not up to you to decide how they should feel. I allow that I may be a little sensitive on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X