X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book Thread number ?

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    No way I can do that. Even on the 7am flight back from Vegas, and getting to my hotel room after arriving there at 4am, after a 3-day full-out Bender Vacation, could I do that.

And Scarlet, I've heard good things about Kindle, but if I'm reading a novel, I like the feel of a book. It's kinda like the whole vinyl argument in music. It just feels right.
    I like books as well, but I really like that I'm bringing three books on my vacation next week taking up the space of one small paperback. Goldy - agreed on the annoyance of having to shut it down during takeoff.

Comment

I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I liked it - kind of like a Nancy Drew book except with more chemistry (and not written for kids).

I am running out of baseball books at the library (shocking, I know). I may have to actually read some from my own bookshelves. Right now I have Mint Condition - How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession, and I think it is the very last baseball book at my library that interests me (and it's a little bit of a stretch).

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
        I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I liked it - kind of like a Nancy Drew book except with more chemistry (and not written for kids).

I am running out of baseball books at the library (shocking, I know). I may have to actually read some from my own bookshelves. Right now I have Mint Condition - How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession, and I think it is the very last baseball book at my library that interests me (and it's a little bit of a stretch).
        Lemme know how that baseball card book is. That greatly interests me, as I used to be a big sports card guy (still enjoy seeing old cards and such when I get an opportunity).
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I've been on a P.G. Wodehouse kick of late. I just like his style of writing. I have been reading various Jeeves and Wooster novels, although my brother also recommended his Psmith novels to me. I also read Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh (Still don't have a definitive pronunciation of his first name; short or long E at the beginning?) and The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt, which was entertaining, and I have Salman Rushdie's Haroun. That should be coming up pretty quick here. At the moment I am working on The Girl Who Played with Fire.

Comment

Recent reads. Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen This was a pretty good Rizzolli and Isles book. Maura Isles is at a coroners conference in Wyoming and decides on the spur of the moment to go off on a trip with an old college acquaintance. They and some of his friends end up trapped in a snowstorm in a deserted village and involved in a weird case involving a cult. It's an okay effort not the best in the Rizzolli and Isles series

Gray Ghost: The Life of Col. John Singleton Mosby by James A. Ramage An excellent biography of one of the Confederacy's top partisan raiders. A nice recounting of Mosby's adventures during the war scouting for Lee's army and raiding Union supply trains. The part about Mosby's post Civil War career is excellent detailing his break with old Confederates to support Grant in the 1872 Presidential Election. it also details his service in the administration of several other Presidents as Us Counsel in the far east and as a land commissioner in the West. It also details his defense of Jeb Stuart and his literary battles with the Southerners who believed that Lee did not wrong.

Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea by Noah Andre Trudeau A detailed account on General Sherman's legendary March to the Sea. This book starts after the taking of Atlanta and only follows the march till the arrive in Savannah. A detailed account of the liberal foraging off the land by the troops the burning and destruction of towns, farms and railroads. The various skirmishing between the Confedrates, mainly Wheelers cavalry and the Union, mainly Kilpatricks cavalry. It also shows the complete breakdown in the Confederate command structure, different Generals were in control of different areas and some were State and some were Confederate leading to contradicting orders and eliminating any chance they had of stopping Sherman.
            Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

This weeks books

The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen The latest Rizzoli and Isles book is a good effort. Several strange murders seem to be connected to a massacre that took place in a Chinese restaurant in Boston 19 years before. Was the blame unfairly placed on a cook who committed suicide at the scene? Rizzoli and Isles seek to solve the current crimes and also the one from the past?

The Last Gangster by George Anastasia A good book that details the demise of the Philadelphia Mob a/k/a The Gang that couldn't shoot straight. This book details the life of former crooked cop/mobster/FBI informant Ron Previte. This book details his adventures with the Philly Mob and there various battles in leadership from Angelo Bruno to Joey Merlino. A good book that details the demise of the Philadelphia Mob a/k/a The Gang that couldn't shoot straight. This book details the life of former crooked cop/mobster/FBI informant Ron Previte. This book details his adventures with the Philly Mob and there various battles in leadership from Angelo Bruno to Joey Merlino.

Comment

Scarlet - my wife just made the switch to the Kindle. She reads a ton (1-2 books a week)
                and like many others likes the feel of a book, going to the store and being able to pick up a book and take a look before buying. She is hooked though on the Kindle and takes it everywhere. She says she feels she can read faster and now we won't have boxes of books in the attic, or more boxes. One thing she did say is she is not sure she will like not being able to lend friends copies of a book. I never expected her to make the switch.

She bought me an IPad last year for my birthday and for my commute (3-4 hours total per day). I read everything now thru IBooks.

Comment

This weeks reads

Corsair by Clive Cussler/Jack Du Brul Another good effort in the Oregon files by Cussler. In this one the Secretary of State's plane has crashed in Libya on the way to a peace conference and is being held hostage. it is up to the crew of the oregon to rescue her and prevent terrorists from killing leaders from all over the world. The Oregon series has become my favorite from Cussler and this one fits the bill with non stop action.

Herb Brooks The Inside Story of a Hockey Mastermind by John Gilbert A good book telling the story of herb Brooks the coach of the 1980 Olympic Team. The book does not detail much of Brook's childhood or his playing career, being the last cut on the 1960 Olympic team. The bulk of the book covers his coaching career at the University of Minnesota where he won 3 NCAA championships, his building and coaching of the 1980 Olympic team and his post Olympic career in the NHL. The book details a lot of his coaching innovations and motivational techniques which were unique in the US in the 70's and 80's.

Comment

Checked out the following from the library:

Beard On Food by James Beard: Not your typical cookbook. It reads like a journal by Beard, with his thoughts on certain foods and the recipes are thrown in.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: A Season at El Bulli by Liz Abend: It's a behind the scenes look at El Bulli, the great restaraunt run by Ferran Adria.

Love Wins by Rob Bell: I've heard so much about this book. Some people are so angry over what Bell has to say, and I figure I should read the book first.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Lemme know how that baseball card book is. That greatly interests me, as I used to be a big sports card guy (still enjoy seeing old cards and such when I get an opportunity).
                      It was pretty good. Some parts dragged a little, but it was an interesting look at the history of baseball cards and the changing reasons why people collect them. I liked the intro the best - the author is in his 30s and tries to sell his old baseball cards from the 80s and early 90s - no one wants them. Can totally relate to that. I have about 40,000 cards in my closet, but I could never throw them away.

Comment

Rushdie's Haroun and the Seas of Stories was really good. One of the better books I've read in a while.

Comment

The wife and I have been reading through Les Miserables together. We're about 500 pages in (getting toward half done). There are some major asides at times, like we've been reading about 20 pages about Paris street urchins, but it does add a lot of depth to the story that you don't get in the movies. We pulled out one of the movies recently and, while we still liked the movie, we both commented how much is left out and a few major things are changed. But, it's been a fun read. We'll hopefully be done by the end of the year.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

This week's reads The Last Patriot by Brad Thor Another good effort from Thor. In this one Scott Horvath is in Paris trying to relax after quitting government service. The he stops a man from being killed by a car bomb and is dragged back in to the life he is trying to lead. In this one he helps to protect some Islamic scholars who are attempting to find some lost verses from the Koran. Non stop action.

For those who like Vince Flynn Thor writes very similar and his main character Scott Harvath closely resembles Mitch Rapp.

Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring by Alexander Rose This is an okay book describing the operation of George Washington's NYC spy ring the so called Culpepper ring. One of the interesting facts brought up is how many of them had connections, related or by school to Nathan Hale. Not a whole lot of action and there are quite a bit of dry facts, one chapter has long discussions on what areas of New York were patriot or loyalist. The book is a bit bland but does cover the topic and give some due to some unknown hero's of the American Revolution.
                            Last edited by Probert; 09-06-2011, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Just finished Sputnik by James Dickson, published about 10 years ago, interesting stories about some of the people behind rocketry in the 1st half of the 20th century, quite a few facts I didn't know. Now reading From Perry To Pearl Harbor, by Edwin Falk. This book was published in 1943, right in the middle of the war. Always an interesting thing to read something contemporaneous to see their take on things. I imagine some of it I may find has later been discredited or mistaken. I find the style of writing 70 years ago to be a bit tedious and formal. And this guy misuses the comma more harshly than even I do.

Comment

The Living Great Lakes: Searching for the Heart of the Inland Seas by Jerry Denis. A weaving of stories and historical discussion. It's equal parts of the author's experience as a volunteer deckhand helping sail an aging 'tall ship' from Traverse City to new owners in Maine, combined with elements of geological, cultural, and environmental history of each of the five Great Lakes and the Erie Canal. I liked it a lot, particularly as someone who grew up hearing about the environmental issues that plagued the lakes (Erie especially) during the 50s, 60s, and early 70s, but never really understood the scope of the disaster.

Comment

Working...
                                X