X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    This is what a library is for....
    Bah. If a book is good enough for me to read, it's good enough to buy.

As for reading, until a few years ago, I hadn't read a book in years, unlike in my young kid days. When I started flying out to CO a couple times a year, I started reading again. Usually on a RT flight, I'll knock out a couple books. At home, usually takes me a week or so, as I only read on the patio after work (in most cases). When it gets dark, I stop reading and go inside.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Bah. If a book is good enough for me to read, it's good enough to buy.

As for reading, until a few years ago, I hadn't read a book in years, unlike in my young kid days. When I started flying out to CO a couple times a year, I started reading again. Usually on a RT flight, I'll knock out a couple books. At home, usually takes me a week or so, as I only read on the patio after work (in most cases). When it gets dark, I stop reading and go inside.
      how do you know it's good until you read it? I've been deceived by a lot of jackets - books that should have interested me, but were poorly written or just not good. I certainly wouldn't waste money on them before I know if they're worth keeping. It's fine either way... but then don't complain they're too expensive, when you have a simple, free alternative that you're too lazy to pursue Wouldn't that be like buying every movie you watch?

I go through a couple of books a week, but I very rarely buy books. Last book I bought was the newest one on Hank Aaron, which I bought the day it came out. If I really enjoy something and think I'll read it again, I'll buy a copy after I've read it.

I used to pick up cheap paperbacks from the clearance shelves at Half Price Books, but they just piled up in my library, and it seems like a waste of money when I can go to the library and get it for free without commitment.
      Last edited by jen; 06-11-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I usually choose books from recommendations from friends, or I research via reviews/reputation/etc. Since I read non-fiction, it's pretty easy to figure out which books are good.

(and as for movies, I buy about 1/5 of the movies I watch)
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          how do you know it's good until you read it? I've been deceived by a lot of jackets - books that should have interested me, but were poorly written or just not good. I certainly wouldn't waste money on them before I know if they're worth keeping. It's fine either way... but then don't complain they're too expensive, when you have a simple, free alternative that you're too lazy to pursue Wouldn't that be like buying every movie you watch?

I go through a couple of books a week, but I very rarely buy books. Last book I bought was the newest one on Hank Aaron, which I bought the day it came out. If I really enjoy something and think I'll read it again, I'll buy a copy after I've read it.

I used to pick up cheap paperbacks from the clearance shelves at Half Price Books, but they just piled up in my library, and it seems like a waste of money when I can go to the library and get it for free without commitment.
          I buy a lot of books. Unquestionably I have purchased some that I thought were poorly written, or average at best, once I got into them. But it hasn't caused me to change my purchasing habits.

I'm helped a little bit due to my fiction reading habits. Probably two thirds the books I buy are either biographies or non-fiction. Thus, my selection is based upon my interest in the person or subject. Some books are better than others, but if I have an interest in the subject I'll usually get something out of it.

As for fiction, I almost always will buy a book from an author whose books I've already read and enjoyed. The rest I choose from reviews I've read or from recommendations I've received.

I buy books because I want to support the author and the industry. I like books. I like the way they feel, the way they smell. I like turning pages. I don't want to lose that and have everything turn electronic.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I buy a lot of books. Unquestionably I have purchased some that I thought were poorly written, or average at best, once I got into them. But it hasn't caused me to change my purchasing habits.

I'm helped a little bit due to my fiction reading habits. Probably two thirds the books I buy are either biographies or non-fiction. Thus, my selection is based upon my interest in the person or subject. Some books are better than others, but if I have an interest in the subject I'll usually get something out of it.

As for fiction, I almost always will buy a book from an author whose books I've already read and enjoyed. The rest I choose from reviews I've read or from recommendations I've received.

I buy books because I want to support the author and the industry. I like books. I like the way they feel, the way they smell. I like turning pages. I don't want to lose that and have everything turn electronic.
            Absolutely fair. I don't question that some people would rather buy books than borrow them. That's fine, that's your choice. But the point is - you are not the one complaining they're too expensive.

Comment

Midnight's Furies, The Deadly Legacy of India's Partition by Nisid Hajari and The Interstellar Age, Inside the 40 Year Voyager Mission, by Jim Bell. The latter is fascinating and well written. The former I'm not sure about yet as I've only read the prologue.

Comment

Absolutely fair. I don't question that some people would rather buy books than borrow them. That's fine, that's your choice. But the point is - you are not the one complaining they're too expensive.
                I never said they were too expensive, I just said that I have spent/am spending my "fun budget" on other things right now.

I think the only books that any of my friends have that I would enjoy (and vice versa) were the "Girl With" trilogy. I read the first one (at my apt complex, people leave unwanted stuff in the lobby; dunno why), and borrowed the other two from bbdl.

Comment

I have had a gift card for a book store since Xmas- haven't spent it yet. I have certain authors I follow and will read again- those I buy but I could never afford to buy everything I read! I might read 3-4 books a week on a good week. Usually 1-2 on a slow week.

Our library has shelves for most recently published books. I usually browse those and pick what sounds interesting. If I like the author I may buy what I read and then buy subsequent books. I couldn't wait for my budget to afford that many books. I would be in withdrawal.

Agree with physically touching the book. New research is also showing retention is better with solid books vs electronic versions

Comment

I have had a gift card for a book store since Xmas- haven't spent it yet. I have certain authors I follow and will read again- those I buy but I could never afford to buy everything I read! I might read 3-4 books a week on a good week. Usually 1-2 on a slow week.

Our library has shelves for most recently published books. I usually browse those and pick what sounds interesting. If I like the author I may buy what I read and then buy subsequent books. I couldn't wait for my budget to afford that many books. I would be in withdrawal.

Agree with physically touching the book. New research is also showing retention is better with solid books vs electronic versions
                    For me, it's the same with movies and music. I love looking at liner notes, or the cover art, etc. For books, you all are correct. It's the "feel" of the book. Love it. I've bought a couple e-books, but nothing special "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" was one of them. Something that I really didn't need a hard copy of.

Comment

This. The library is really the perfect resource for me. I read way too much to buy every book I want to read, and it'd be a waste of money, in my opinion, to buy 3-4 books a week when I only REALLY enjoy (as in, would read more than once) maybe 20% of them. Most of them are good, but not great, and I don't regret reading them, but I don't want to read them again. A few of them are just bad. I keep recommendations on my phone (right now my to-read list has 160 books), but I also just browse and pick things that look good or interesting - depends on my mood. I usually stay away from the new books section, just because the checkout period is only a week, and with 5-6 books checked out at a time, I can't guarantee I'll get to it in a week.

And I agree that I will never switch to any kind of electronic reading either. I don't find it that inconvenient to carry around a book or two, and I like having it in my hands and turning the pages. But I don't need to buy one to have it in my hands.

My mom listens to lots of books on CD (in her car), but she still also reads them. What's odd is she goes to the library all the time for CDs (3-4 at a time), but never books. She always buys the books (usually paperback or clearance hardcover - never full price). She also never reads any time except before bed. I never read before bed (I'd never fall asleep!) Funny how you pick up little reading habits. My ideal way to spend a day is sitting on my patio in the morning (when it's shady and quiet) with a cup of coffee and a book.

Comment

I used to not like the idea of e-books, and didn't like reading them. Then I started reading them here and there, mostly on trips, so I didn't have to lug around several books. Now, I almost exclusively read on my Kindle. I guess I'm a convert. I still read some real books, mostly the ones where I want to actually buy the book, and have it on the shelf, but at this point, I'd say 90% of my reading is on the Kindle. I like that it syncs from device to device, so if I have a few minutes I can read a bit on my phone, if I want to, and my place is saved from when I read on my Kindle. I'm reading all of The Song of Ice and Fire on the Kindle, but at this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy all of them too, because I want to have that series on the bookshelf.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Love to read on the sun porch first thing in the AM with the slider open so I can hear the birds chirping.

Comment

This. The library is really the perfect resource for me. I read way too much to buy every book I want to read, and it'd be a waste of money, in my opinion, to buy 3-4 books a week when I only REALLY enjoy (as in, would read more than once) maybe 20% of them. Most of them are good, but not great, and I don't regret reading them, but I don't want to read them again. A few of them are just bad. I keep recommendations on my phone (right now my to-read list has 160 books), but I also just browse and pick things that look good or interesting - depends on my mood. I usually stay away from the new books section, just because the checkout period is only a week, and with 5-6 books checked out at a time, I can't guarantee I'll get to it in a week.

And I agree that I will never switch to any kind of electronic reading either. I don't find it that inconvenient to carry around a book or two, and I like having it in my hands and turning the pages. But I don't need to buy one to have it in my hands.

My mom listens to lots of books on CD (in her car), but she still also reads them. What's odd is she goes to the library all the time for CDs (3-4 at a time), but never books. She always buys the books (usually paperback or clearance hardcover - never full price). She also never reads any time except before bed. I never read before bed (I'd never fall asleep!) Funny how you pick up little reading habits. My ideal way to spend a day is sitting on my patio in the morning (when it's shady and quiet) with a cup of coffee and a book.
                            I almost always get my books from the library, big surprise, I'm even lazy in that I pre-select and reserve my books ahead of time, my to read list is 8 pages long collated by author's I like, authors I want to try and then non fiction are separated by topic. I basically do this because I want to have a variety of the 10-12 books I get. I get 1 or 2 of series I'm reading, 1 Presidential Biography, I working my way thru them, one other history book, 1 crime book 2-3 from authors who I like but haven't read all their books yet and then 1 or 2 new ones I want to try. I always look in the new release section there 2 weeks in my library and a lot of times end up getting 1 or 2. The library is 2 miles from my house so usually I drop whatever I have read off after 2 weeks.

I do buy books but only specific ones I always by a travel book before I go on vacation since I like to plan and mark up the book before I go and I want to take it with me. I will buy non-fiction mainly Revolutionary,Civil and World War II books if I find them in the bargain section of Amazon. I also will get series I waited until all the Harry Potter books were out and Amazon had a deal so I bought the whole set. They also had a deal on the Game of Thrones box set so I bought that since who knows when it will be finished. I also frequent the library's twice yearly book sale where I can get a bag of books for $5. I have 4 or 5 bags full of books waiting for me to get around to read

I've had a nook color for quite a while I like it on my US vacations because I can load up a bunch of books and don't have to carry them. I don't take it overseas because it has to be charged every day so for overseas trips I take a bunch of paperbacks that I paid a quarter or so for and just leave them in the hotel when I finish them or give them to the person on the Tour bus who says " I wish I brought a book". For my library the e-books are countywide so if you want one you have to go in the line with everyone in the county and for new releases you wait a long time. For the new Walt Longmire I put in to get the hard copy and the e-book, I got the hard copy in 2 weeks, there are still 200 some odd people in front of me for the e-book. Now it is worth it to have one to read all the short e-books that the authors put out in between some of their regular books.

Thanks for all the recommendations I found that I had read the first Sigma Force book back in 2012 but never went on to book 2 so i will have to give that a try.
                            Last edited by Probert; 06-13-2015, 04:27 PM.
                            Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

My wife and I are pretty heavy users of the online Wisconsin interlibrary loan system, which I suspect you use, Jen. We order the books (and DVDs) and just drop by the library a couple of times a week and pick up what is there. You can monitor arrivals online, but it's more fun just stopping to see what is in and browsing for other things. The library is such a good atmosphere. When I fully retire, I'd like to do a little volunteer reading at the elementary schools and have a daily dose of library time.

Being a porn star is so hectic.

Comment

Milwaukee County has the online request thing too, and it's very handy. Sometimes I'll get in a mood to read a bunch of books I know my local branch doesn't have, and request from the other branches. I used the State ILL more in college and grad school when doing research, etc. Haven't had to use it since then, our county system is very good - but it's a great resource that a lot of people wouldn't think to use, and it's so easy.

I used to live near a smaller local branch, and it was much easier to browse there - the library was a lot smaller and I could cover the whole fiction section in one trip. My current local branch is pretty big, so when I browse, I usually only browse maybe 4-5 letters worth. Non-fiction, I usually stop by biography, baseball, and the cookbooks.

This all makes me want to visit the library, but I have one more book to finish.

Comment

Working...
                                X