X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=1000677541

William Manchester's The Glory and The Dream. USA 1932-1972. Today only $2.99 on Kindle.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Just started Paleofantasy: What Evolution Tells Us About Sex, Diet, and How We Live by Marlene Zuk.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I wish that my library app was linked into Goodreads, so when I added a book in Goodreads, it gets added to my "lists" in my library app and I can quickly request it. Maybe I should tell my library instead of you guys.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        These aren't necessarily my top "X", but they all immediately come to mind as having stuck with me for some time after reading them.

Nine Stories - Salinger
        Read this one - slightly disappointed. Two of the stories stuck with me - Bananafish (the very first one) and the last one about the soldier and the little girl. Salinger sure liked the "start at the end, then go backwards and re-tell" plotline. It did make me want to re-read Catcher in the Rye, though.

edit: I just remembered the solider story was not the last one - it was another one that stuck with me (somewhat ) about the precocious boy on the boat.
        Last edited by jen; 05-08-2015, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I wanted to wait to read A Feast for Crows until after this season, but I'm finding it very difficult to resist. I may end up starting it this week...
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Just finished An Indian Summer: The 1957 Milwaukee Braves, Champions of Baseball. I so, so wanted to love this book, but it was very dry. The first Amazon review hit it right on the head. The author just went through retrosheet and national newspaper articles, and interviews done by others for his info. I'm not sure he actually spoke to anyone even remotely involved. Enough major players were alive when the book was written in 2007 (Aaron, Schoendienst, Logan, Crandall, Covington at least) that he could've gotten SOMEONE. The parts about the games were like reading a box score. The most interesting parts were when he talked about the individual players, and even then, there wasn't much depth. It read like a college research paper rather than a book.

But I did learn a lot of things I never knew. I had no idea Ernie Johnson was ever a player, much less on the 1957 team. I thought he was just an announcer.

I would love a Boys-of-Summer-style book about the 1957 team, but it's a little late now.
            Last edited by jen; 05-14-2015, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I was reminded today of a book that I read several decades ago, that I still remember vividly today, it was so insightful.

It's called King Solomon's Ring, by the naturalist Konrad Lorenz. The title comes from a story that says King Solomon had a ring that allowed him to understand and talk to animals. Dr. Lorenz studied bird development from right after hatching through the first year of life, incredible breakthroughs in our understandings for its time (I read it in the late-1970s and it had already been in print by then for twenty years or so).

Written in a very engaging and conversational style, he describes how he came to understand the process we now know as imprinting. To go along for the ride with a scientific genius during the genesis of his discovery as he was doing it was so fascinating to me.

A potential spoiler in white below:

I remember one particular detail extremely well. Dr. Lorenz, while testing his theories on imprinting, had taught a male baby bird that he was a female, and when that bird grew up and wanted to mate, it courted Dr. Lorenz by bringing it semi-chewed insects and trying to place them in his mouth.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                I wish that my library app was linked into Goodreads, so when I added a book in Goodreads, it gets added to my "lists" in my library app and I can quickly request it. Maybe I should tell my library instead of you guys.

Read this one - slightly disappointed. Two of the stories stuck with me - Bananafish (the very first one) and the last one about the soldier and the little girl. Salinger sure liked the "start at the end, then go backwards and re-tell" plotline. It did make me want to re-read Catcher in the Rye, though.

edit: I just remembered the solider story was not the last one - it was another one that stuck with me (somewhat ) about the precocious boy on the boat.
                The last one is "Teddy" - the precocious boy on the cruise ship, and that is my favorite. I agree though, not all of the nine stories are hits.

Comment

Recent Reads

A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire #9) by Craig Johnson The latest Walt Longmire book finds him trying to find the parents of a boy found wandering about town. When it turns out he has been banned from a Mormon sect and his mother is missing the sheriffs department starts to investigate and places themselves in danger going up against gun toting fanatics. Good read.

Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground by Kevin Poulsen Interesting tale of a troubled hacker who went back and forth between being a black hat and a white hat hacker. Taking over the underground of the internet and selling stolen credit cards online. It details how the FBI brought him down. Good read

Nathan's Run by John Gilstrap I enjoy Gilstrap’s Jonathan grave series so gave this a try. Very similar plot line to John Grisham’s the Client. A 12 year old boy is on the run after escaping from a juvenile detention center and killing a guard. Opinion starts to change when he calls a national radio show and pleads his case that the guard was trying to kill him. On the run with a hit man and the police on his tail how long will Nathan stay on the run? Good read.

Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by James D. Hornfischer Didn’t like this as much as Tin Can sailors but a good effort from Hornfisher on detailing the US’s attempt to establish a foothold on Guadalcanal and keep the Japanese from reinforcing the troops they had on the islands. Details several of the naval battles and the mistakes made by both the Japanese and the US during the battles.

Fires of War by Larry Bond, Jim DeFelice This First Team book finds them investigating whether or not North Korea may be complying with sanctions on their nuclear material as part of a treaty. They are surprised to find traces of the material in South Korea which starts off a hunt to find out what is going on. Ok read.

The Assassin by Clive Cussler, Justin Scott The latest Isaac Bell novel takes us back in Isaac’s life, it took me a little time to figure out why he and Archie weren’t married. Someone is targeting both Standard Oil’s enemies and allies. The Van Dorn agency gets involved and Isaac finds himself targeted as he goes over to Europe and back again. Can he stop the Assassin before more bodies pile up. Ok read

Hornblower During the Crisis by C.S. Forester The 4th Hornblower book chronologically starts off strong with Hornblower ending his time as Captain of the Hotspur and headed back to London to get a new ship. His tender ship manages to attack and surprise a French vessel where he is recruited to lead a spy mission against the French. Unfortunately the story end here as CS Forrester passed away and they basically summarize what he planned to have happen in the rest of the book. The other parts of the book are two short stories about Lord Hornblower meeting the future Napoleon III and his involvement in the execution of an Irish rebel.

Die Again by Tess Gerritsen The latest Rizzoli and isles finds them hunting a serial killer who is dropping bodies across Boston like a Big game hunter. Simultaneously she is telling the story of a safari brutally killed 6 years ago in Botswana who appears to be his first victims. When the lone survivor of that attack comes to Boston the worlds collide. Good read.

The Underboss: The Rise and Fall of a Mafia Family by Dick Lehr I got this book because of how much I enjoyed Black Mass, this author’s book about Whitey Bulger. This book follows the investigation into Gennaro Angiulo who ran Boston for the Patricia family. It was okay but the Boston mobsters just aren’t as interesting as NY or Chicago or even their Irish counterpart Bulger in the same city. Interesting that John Morris and John Connolly who were brought down in the Bulger investigation.

Any Other Name (Walt Longmire #10) by Craig Johnson The latest Walt Longmire book finds him investigating a suicide of a fellow police officer as a favor to Lucien the ex-sheriff. As he starts to look into the officers old cases, with a ticking clock as he has to get to Philadelphia for the birth of his grandchild. He believes that the officer may have uncovered a serial killer preying on young women. While causing trouble in another county can he find the women and make the birth of his grandchild. Good read

The Pardon (Jack Swyteck #1) by James Grippando A quick paced legal thriller finds the son of the governor, a prominent defense attorney framed for a murder he didn’t commit. Lots of twists and turns with some legal maneuvering. Good read.

Tropic of Hockey: My Search for the Game in Unlikely Places by Dave Bidini An interesting book most hockey fans will enjoy. The author goes around the world to play hockey in unusually places, a tournament in Hong Kong, playing with a group of older American Tourists in China, a tournament in the UAE and ending with a grudge match in Transylvania. Interesting look at hockey and how it is perceived outside North America.

Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents #21) by Zachary Karabell Chester Arthur is an interesting President, never holding elective political office before being named James Garfield’s vice president as a favor to his political mentor Roscoe Conklin. He then unexpectedly becomes President 6 months later when Garfield is assassinated. He had a fairly uneventful term with the major piece of legislation passing being the Pendleton Act which established Civil Service, mainly the result of Garfield being shot by a disgruntled office seeker. Interesting individual who died shortly after leaving the Presidency of Bright’s disease.
                  Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                    Won't create a top ten list; instead, I'll give you some of my recent reads. Not knowing your taste, you may or may not be interested in the following:

Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune, Bill Dedman and Paul Clark Newell, Jr. (2013)
                    Just finished this - really enjoyed it. Fascinating book. I even stayed up past my bedtime to finish it. I'd never heard of any of the players before. Just saw another book about her came out very recently - The Phantom of Fifth Avenue. Might give that one a try in the future.

Comment

I'm looking for some recommendations in a couple of genre's in particular a series with a bunch of books to read.

Legal Thrillers, along the lines of John Grisham, David Ellis, John Lescroart, Steve Martini and Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer. I did just read the first book of James Gripando's Jack Swytek series which was okay, I probably will give the second one a try.

Cop/Investigator books along the lines of John Sandford, Michael Connnelly's Bosch books, Lee Childs, Tami Hoag's Liska and Kovacs series, Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, WEB Griffin's Badge of Honor, the early ones, and James Patterson. I'm almost done with Craig Johnson's Longmire series and the 1st book of Richard Montanari's Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne series which was good. Tried Ed McBain but wasn't impressed

Spy/Special Ops books along the lines of Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy, Brad Taylor, Brad Thor, Ken Follett, Frederick Forsythe, Robert Ludlum,Clive Cussler, Mark Greaney, though it seems as if he stopped writing his Grey Man novels to continue Clancy's books, John Gilstrap, Steve Berry and Larry Bond I tend to prefer the special ops shoot em up books to the more cerebral spy novels like LeCarre and Ian Fleming.

Historical Fiction Haven't read a whole lot of this, I loved Bernard Cornwells Starbuck Chronicles so was thinking of starting the Sharpe series. I am currently greatly enjoying CS Forrester's Horatio Hornblower series. I tried Alan Furst but Night Soldiers was just okay. My mother recommended Erik Larson, I read Isaac's Storm about the Galveston hurricane, it was okay but a little too weather heavy for me.

For non fiction US History, Revolutionary War, Civil War, Old West or WWII or crime books mainly Mafia, Biker Gangs, Drug Cartels or true life Spies. I've recently run into a bunch of good but not great books in this genre.

For Sports anything concerning Hockey, Baseball or Cycling.
                      Last edited by Probert; 05-25-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post

...crime books mainly Mafia, Biker Gangs, Drug Cartels or true life Spies. I've recently run into a bunch of good but not great books in this genre.
                        Hi!

Breaking The Code by Pat Matter & Chris Omodt. Mpls Hell's Angels president/cop who pursued him.

American Biker by Bill Hayes

The Dragon Syndicates by Martin Booth (Triads)

Cosa Nostra by John Dickie (the Italian mob; there is a slight mention of the American version of the mafia)

The Executioner's Men by George Grayson & Samuel Logan (Los Zetas)

Red Mafiya by Robert Friedman (vor z zakone/Russian mafia)

The Five Families by Selwyn Raab (NY mafia/US mafia by default)

Yakuza by David Kaplan

I took great care in choosing each of these books, as I wanted as complete and accurate story as possible. All of them are excellent, especially The Five Families.

Edit: while I haven't read the book yet, "To Kill The Irishman" by Rick Porello made for a helluva movie. One of my faves. About mafia in Cleveland in the 70s.

Double edit: Pat Matter was recently on CNN, being interviewed due to the Waco stuff that happened. Bonus cred.
                        Last edited by The Rube; 05-25-2015, 03:21 PM.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Hi!

Cosa Nostra by John Dickie (the Italian mob; there is a slight mention of the American version of the mafia)
                          Thanks for the ideas, I've read a couple of those but will give the rest a whirl. If you liked Cosa Nostra and are interested in another book on the Sicillian Mafia, I would try The Last Godfathers: Inside the Mafia's Most Infamous Family by John Follain about the real Corleone family and the war they waged on the other families in Sicily and law enforcement.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I've read a couple of those but will give the rest a whirl. If you liked Cosa Nostra and are interested in another book on the Sicillian Mafia, I would try The Last Godfathers: Inside the Mafia's Most Infamous Family by John Follain about the real Corleone family and the war they waged on the other families in Sicily and law enforcement.
                            Will definitely take a gander at that. I rarely (if ever) read fiction. I prefer underworld, Americana, sports, and pop culture/social commentary (that is not from politicians) non-fiction.

What I found somewhat surprising about the mafias is that Cosa Nostra and the Five Families are the LEAST ruthless when it comes to punishment. The Zetas (and other cartels) are friggin' nuts. I'd say the vors come in 2nd place, then the Yakuza.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm looking for some recommendations in a couple of genre's in particular a series with a bunch of books to read...

...Historical Fiction Haven't read a whole lot of this, I loved Bernard Cornwel'sl Starbuck Chronicles so was thinking of starting the Sharpe series. I am currently greatly enjoying CS Forrester's Horatio Hornblower series. I tried Alan Furst but Night Soldiers was just okay. My mother recommended Erik Larson, I read Isaac's Storm about the Galveston hurricane, it was okay but a little too weather heavy for me.
                              Mom's right. While I can certainly understand your reaction to Isaac's Storm, try some more Erik Larson. I can personally recommend The Devil in the White City (Chicago 1893 World's Fair) and In the Garden of Beasts. (American Diplomats in Nazi Berlin)

Comment

Cop/Investigator books along the lines of John Sandford, Michael Connnelly's Bosch books, Lee Childs, Tami Hoag's Liska and Kovacs series, Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, WEB Griffin's Badge of Honor, the early ones, and James Patterson. I'm almost done with Craig Johnson's Longmire series and the 1st book of Richard Montanari's Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne series which was good. Tried Ed McBain but wasn't impressed
                                Robert Galbraith, The Cuckoo's Calling. The main character is Cormoran Strike. Only one book has been released thus far, the second one is due in about three weeks. Robert Galbraith is an alias for JK Rowling, she wanted to release the book without the fanfare to see how it would do. It got really strong reviews before it was discovered who Galbraith really was, and then sales exploded. I read it and really like it. Like her Harry Potter series, it can get a bit long, if that sort of thing turns you off (doubt it, given your long list of books given in this thread alone).
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X