X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

Originally posted by Probert View Post
    Yeah there is a chapter on their relationship, the break up of his marriage when his wife found out, her death and his legal issues as a result of her death.
    Might check this book out. He was awfully quiet during that ordeal, and that pizzed me off. She was no angel, but that incident really got to me.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I think Beyond the Deep: The Deadly Descent into the World's Most Treacherous Cave was a recommendation from someone here (I can't imagine where else I would have seen it). Finally read it. Absolutely riveting, and I knew nothing about the subject. It really drew me in, and those people are absolutely effing crazy. The hand-drawn maps really helped me imagine how far down they were.
      Last edited by jen; 01-07-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Another one that I believe was a thread recommendation - High crimes: the fate of Everest in an age of greed by Michael Kodas. This was really interesting, but if you want to feel good about humanity, you may not want to read it. Lots of stories about theft, negligence, and just downright awfulness from people climbing Everest.

Currently reading Terror in the City of Champions: Murder, Baseball, and the Secret Society That Shocked Depression-Era Detroit by Tom Stanton. I've really enjoyed several of his baseball books, so we'll see how this one goes.

Comment

Just getting into The Dark Forest, the first sequel to The Three Body Problem. It's neither as imaginative nor as original as the first book but it's still a seeming worthwhile read. Still early but the idea of the Wallfacers is a good plot and character driver.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Started reading Hollowed Ground, by MTU professor Larry Lankton. https://www.amazon.com/Hollowed-Grou.../dp/0814334903

It is a history of Copper Mining in the Copper Country, from the beginning (native copper mining) through discovery by Douglass Houghton, and the development of the mines, ending at current day. It follows 3 mining companies pretty closely: C&H, Quincy and White Pine (and predecessors), but touches on all of the relatively important locations (Cliff, Amygdaloid, Minesota, Baltic, Isle Royale, Pewabic, Phoenix, Copper Falls, etc.). So far, it has been very, very good, and I'm still pretty early on in the book.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Started reading Hollowed Ground, by MTU professor Larry Lankton. https://www.amazon.com/Hollowed-Grou.../dp/0814334903

It is a history of Copper Mining in the Copper Country, from the beginning (native copper mining) through discovery by Douglass Houghton, and the development of the mines, ending at current day. It follows 3 mining companies pretty closely: C&H, Quincy and White Pine (and predecessors), but touches on all of the relatively important locations (Cliff, Amygdaloid, Minesota, Baltic, Isle Royale, Pewabic, Phoenix, Copper Falls, etc.). So far, it has been very, very good, and I'm still pretty early on in the book.
              We had to read two of his books for his "History of the Copper Country" course. The one you're reading is more about mining, and the other one is more about the culture and communities. They're both pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                We had to read two of his books for his "History of the Copper Country" course. The one you're reading is more about mining, and the other one is more about the culture and communities. They're both pretty good.
                I got this for Christmas from my parents. Apparently about 6 months ago I mentioned it to my wife that this book looked good, specifically because I was looking for one that focused more on the mining, more technical and industrial stuff. My wife remembered this, several months later and gave it to my parents as a suggestion for a gift. So far, the book is exactly what I was looking for in a history of the copper mining up there.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  I got this for Christmas from my parents. Apparently about 6 months ago I mentioned it to my wife that this book looked good, specifically because I was looking for one that focused more on the mining, more technical and industrial stuff. My wife remembered this, several months later and gave it to my parents as a suggestion for a gift. So far, the book is exactly what I was looking for in a history of the copper mining up there.
                  Sounds fascinating

Comment

Sourdough - Robin Sloan - enjoyed this one a lot. About a computer programmer who starts baking bread when her favorite restaurant closes. She sells it at a market run by a mysterious figure (this is where the slightly wacky Sloan-ish part comes in). The "feel" of the book was a lot like his other book - a little bit out there, but enjoyable.

The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner. Very interesting read - about growing up in a polygamist religious cult in Mexico. Her circumstances were appalling. Couldn't put it down.

Comment

Just finished Origin by Dan Brown. Interesting read. Not totally in love with it- a little too wordy for bits- but parts were thought provoking. I like when books touch on things with historical perspective.

Before that read James Rollins- the Demon Crown. Again, not totally in love with it but parts were good. Some of the things made me squeamish to read and I think I know more about insect behaviour/biology than I might want to. Felt a bit force in parts and then the end felt rushed. When all sorts of detail happens in the middle of the book and then it seems like someone said you are running out of room and poof less words, skipping through parts you might want story for and then boom. Done.
                      Last edited by leswp1; 01-23-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Just finished Origin by Dan Brown. Interesting read. Not totally in love with it- a little too wordy for bits- but parts were thought provoking. I like when books touch on things with historical perspective.
                        It's a Dan Brown novel, he's known for that.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          It's a Dan Brown novel, he's known for that.
                          THe Davinci Code was good. Angels and Demons was def not as good. This explored some things I am not familiar- something I like- but it got like a lecture that forgot the story

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Just getting into The Dark Forest, the first sequel to The Three Body Problem. It's neither as imaginative nor as original as the first book but it's still a seeming worthwhile read. Still early but the idea of the Wallfacers is a good plot and character driver.
                            Dark Forest is definitely still a decent read. The third one is the weakest of the three by far.

Comment

Finished All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation by Rebecca Traister - some interesting points, but a little dry. Parts of it read like a term paper. It felt like the author went all over the place - started with historical examples of unmarried women gaining acceptance in society, and then wandered through a LOT of different topics. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was a little more social and a little less political.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                THe Davinci Code was good. Angels and Demons was def not as good. This explored some things I am not familiar- something I like- but it got like a lecture that forgot the story
                                Interesting. The people I've talked to like Angels and Demons better. I'm with you though in that I liked Davinci Code the best. Those are the only two I've read.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X