This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

Much Ado sounds like a well-written 16th century chick flick. I'm not above those.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    How do you not have ‘Bonfire of the Vanities’ or ‘A Man in Full’ included? The list loses a lot of credibility for no Tom Wolfe.
    All such lists are going to have opinions. It's just like lists of "Greatest Rock Bands".

Somewhere out there, some jarhead has compiled a "Must Read" list that has 5 Tom Clancy novels in it.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-07-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I’ve always liked rainbow six
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        How do you not have ‘Bonfire of the Vanities’ or ‘A Man in Full’ included? The list loses a lot of credibility for no Tom Wolfe.
        Every book list is like that. No Thomas Wolfe, Saul Bellow, Wendel Berry . . . Jack London makes the list three times. I'd sooner reread Sometimes a Great Notion than Cuckoo's Nest.
        Last edited by burd; 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Every book list is like that. No Thomas Wolfe, Saul Bellow, Wendel Berry . . . Jack London makes the list three times. I'd sooner reread Sometimes a Great Notion than Cuckoo's Nest.
          Call of the Wild was alright. I loved White Fang.

Never heard of the former three authors you've mentioned. I guess I should be embarrassed by that?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Never heard of the former three authors you've mentioned. I guess I should be embarrassed by that?
            Glad you're not serious.

But now that you mentioned it. One book which is missing from both lists and which is a MUST read is Fight on Sioux, published by Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce award winning author, the Grand Forks Herald (soft cover). A seriously cool book about hockey history at the good old U of ND.

You SHOULD be embarrassed if you have not read that.
            Last edited by burd; 12-07-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              Glad you're not serious.

But now that you mentioned it. One book which is missing from both lists and which is a MUST read is Fight on Sioux, published by Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce award winning author, the Grand Forks Herald (soft cover). A seriously cool book about hockey history at the good old U of ND.

You SHOULD be embarrassed if you have not read that.
              I'll save it for a lazy day in retirement. At least 35 years away for me. I'm sure it'll be updated with UND's 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th titles by then. Hell, maybe more once they start allowing schools to pay athletes a salary.
              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-07-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

No, you should be happy you discovered some new authors to read. 'A Man in Full' and 'Bonfire of the Vanities' are two of my favorite books and I think in time they will be two of the books people look to in order to understand the late 20th century in America. They are both 700 or 800 pages but I'm sure you will read both in less than a week. I read 'I am Charlotte Simmons' when I was a kid and loved it, but honestly I can't imagine reading it if I was over 25. 'Back to Blood'(was actually very disappointed when this came out as there was a long wait for it) and 'The Right Stuff' are okay if you like his other work.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Haven't posted here in awhile, but still reading a lot. A few notables...

Hidden Figures (had already seen the movie). So good. Very much like the movie, except the timeline was more realistic. I enjoyed it even more than the movie.

The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman - this was pretty good. About a Russian immigrant who is orphaned and ends up with Italian family, then starts an ice cream company.

What You Owe Me by Bebe Moore Campbell. Got this from some recommendation list. It was LONG, but good - about an African American woman, spanning 50 years, and her family and makeup business (and revenge!)

Comment

• Tranny by Laura Jane Grace

The autobiography of the Against Me! singer.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

My Year in Books from Goodreads -

TOTALS: I read 58,606 pages across 188 books

SHORTEST BOOK: Christmas Cookies, Candies and Cakes by Woman's Day Magazine, 95 pages
                      LONGEST BOOK: Cross My Heart by James Patterson, 544 pages
                      AVERAGE LENGTH: 312 pages

MOST POPULAR: 1,258,954 people also read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
                      LEAST POPULAR: 1 person also read Isabelle Pinckney by Kay Holz (ha - this was written by my aunt, and the one other person was my cousin)

MY AVERAGE RATING FOR 2017: 3.3

HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS: Sally's Cookie Addiction: Irresistible Cookies, Cookie Bars, Shortbread, and More from the Creator of Sally's Baking Addiction by Sally McKenney - 4.46 average (really?)

Comment

My year in Books, via Goodreads

TOTALS I read 68,000 pages across 191 books

SHORTEST BOOK
                        29 pages
                        Double Cross by Jeffery Deaver

LONGEST BOOK
                        1,177 pages
                        A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

AVERAGE LENGTH 356 pages

MOST POPULAR 1,615,114 people also read
                        A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

LEAST POPULAR 3 people also read
                        George W. Bush: America's 43rd P... by Matt Donnelly

MY AVERAGE RATING FOR 2017 2.7 I rate most books 2 or 3 stars

1 star books
                        Wolf of Wall St by Jordan Belfort
                        You've been Warned by James Patterson and Howard Rougan
                        My Silent War the Autobiography of a Spy by Kim Philby

No 5 Star books this year

I also read my 100th James Patterson book last week.
                        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

My 5 star books from 2017 - Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly, Cross Justice by James Patterson, Ocean Soul by Brian Skerry, and Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella.

1 star books - only one: The Rice Krispie Treats Cookbook. This was awful. I thought they'd do different things with them, but they just made them different shapes and colors.

Comment

Recent reads

One Day in September: The Full Story of the 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and the Israeli Revenge Operation "Wrath of God" by Simon Reeve Pretty good straight forward look at the hostage taking of the Israeli athlete’s during the 1972 Munich Olympics by Black September. The horrendous response and cover up of the negotiations and rescue by the German authorities. Lastly the revenge operation taken by the Israeli’s to kill the surviving terrorists and the members of Black September who plotted and supported the plot.

Home (Myron Bolitar #11) by Harlan Coben Interesting Myron Bolitar book as it mainly revolves around Win. Win has dropped out of site and is searching for his cousins son who disappeared 10 years ago. Tracking down a lead he gets into trouble and calls the new engaged Myron for help. All hands are on deck as Myron and Win tried to find out if the boy and his friend are alive after 10 years or if this is a sick joke. Okay but like the last couple this isn’t the same Bolitar book, the sports agency is gone everyone has gone on to other things.

American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies by Michael W. Kauffman A very good book detailing the life of John Wilkes Booth and his plot to first kidnap and then kill Abraham Lincoln. Great details about the plot and how it unfolds and then the escape of the perpetrators and the hunt and trial of the various conspirators. I didn’t like it quite as good as Manhunt but a good read.

Fighting the Second Civil War: History of Battlefield Preservation and the Emergence of the Civil War Trust by Bob Zeller I have been a member of the Trust for quite a few years and this book covers the rise of the preservation movement from the 70’s to present. It covers many of the groups formed especially the former APCWS and Civil War Preservation Trust which eventually merged to form the present day Civil War Trust. Each chapter covers a preservation battle and the various principals involved. It also covers the contentious merger of the two preservation groups into 1.

Count to Ten (Private #13) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Ashwin Sanghi Another Private India novel finds them in New Delhi and involved in a political fight between the two men who govern the city. In the middle is Private’s investigation into a ring selling people’s body parts and the killer who is stalking them. Ok read

Power and Empire (Jack Ryan Universe #24) by Marc Cameron (Goodreads Author), Tom Clancy New Clancy book which combines the two Jack Ryan’s, previously they had kind of separated into Campus novels highlighting Jack Jr and Jack Ryan Sr novels with him as President though they each made cameos. A new author in Marc Cameron who stand alone novels I enjoy. Interesting plot with an internal Chinese power struggle involving the United States and the Campus investigating a human smuggling ring connected to the plot. It was okay but for me a bit too many moving parts and some parts are developed a bit and then never returned to, like the sinking of the cargo ship early on.

Camino Island by John Grisham Interesting novel where a young author goes undercover for an insurance company to see if she can track down the man who bought stolen F Scott Fitzgerald manuscripts. Reminded me a little of The Firm though instead of a law firm it was the literary scene. Ending was a little strange as some parts that had been built up, like one of the thieves trying to steal back the books after getting ripped off by the middleman kind of vanishes with not a real conclusion. Ok read.

I Know a Secret (Rizzoli & Isles #12) by Tess Gerritsen It’s been a bit of time between Rizzoli and Isles books and coming back to the books I was a little confused since I watched the TV Show as well and they don’t mesh up, like Frankie wanting to be a cop or FBI guy in this book but on the show he’s been a cop the whole series. A very good thriller about a group of acquaintances from the same town who are ending up getting killed in a ritual manner and Jane and Maura keep trying to find the connection. It’s not a particularly long book so a nice quick read.

The Switch by Joseph Finder This book is about a young businessman whose laptop gets mixed up with a US Senator’s a airport security. It’s seems the Senator has downloaded Top Secret NSA files to the laptop and is desperate to retrieve it. The measures that are resorted to get this laptop are amazing and while I realize this is a work of fiction many of the things that happen seem very unbelievable.

Find Her (Detective D.D. Warren #8) by Lisa Gardner The latest DD Warren book finds he investigating a young woman who has killed the man who attempted to rape her. She was held captive for over a year before and DD believes that she may be a vigilante especially after finding her obsessed with other missing people. The mystery deepens when the woman disappears and DD fears she may have been abducted by the monster she was searching for. Good read.

Wrestling with the Devil: The True Story of a World Champion Professional Wrestler--His Reign, Ruin, and Redemption by Lex Luger, John D. Hollis During my Wrestling watching days I was never a fan of Lex Luger, to me an over glorified pretty boy who couldn’t wrestle a lick. Surprisingly he admits much of this in his book that he kept it simple, looked good and let the more experienced guys like Ric Flair and others lead him to good matches. He tells of his early problems as a juvenile delinquent. His brief college career and his time in the CFL, NFL and USFL. He covers his intro to wrestling his training with Hiro Matsuda and his meteoric rise, rookie to Southern Champ to Jim Crockett promotions and member of the 4 Horsemen within a brief period of time. After that his description of wrestling is brief and kind of skips around, he mentions jumping to the WBF and WWF, the Lex Express and the jumping back to WCW on Nitro. He tells of his major drug and alcohol problems and his incarceration. The comeback from his neck and back problems is pretty remarkable and he appears to have turned his life around at the end of the book. One item I really wanted to hear about which was left out of the book was his feelings on the night Bruiser Brody shot on him in the cage just before he left Florida for Jim Crockett. It’s okay but not nearly as good as most of the other wrestling biographies.

The Mullah's Storm (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #1) by Tom Young Interesting debut novel that takes place in Afghanistan. A plane is transporting a top level Taliban commander when the plane is shot out of the ground. Pilot Michael Parsons, translator Sophia Gold and the commander are forced on the run being hunted by the enemy in the middle of a blizzard. Pretty good.

The Pagan Lord (The Saxon Stories #7) by Bernard Cornwell Another good edition of the Saxon Chronicles. Once again ostracized due to his Pagan beliefs Uhtred takes a small crew and goes Viking to try and retake his ancestral home of Beddanburg. When the Saxon’s and Mercia find themselves threatened by the Danes he quickly takes action to unravel the plot and save the Saxon’s good read.

The Crystal Shard (The Icewind Dale Trilogy #1) by R.A. Salvatore The start of a new Drizzt trilogy finds him somewhat settled on the surface near the 10 towns with some friends but not exactly trusted. He warns the towns of a impending barbarian invasion and also helps protect them against an evil wizard who invades with an army of monsters. Didn’t like it as much as the first trilogy but an okay read.
                            Last edited by Probert; 01-06-2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Probert: Does Luger cover anything about the death of Miss Elizabeth?
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Probert: Does Luger cover anything about the death of Miss Elizabeth?
                                Yeah there is a chapter on their relationship, the break up of his marriage when his wife found out, her death and his legal issues as a result of her death.

Comment

Working...
                                X