X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Walked through Barnes and Noble today and was disappointed.

Wanted a few books on LGBT issues. Didn't have much.

Didn't have much in the way of traditional cookbooks.

And most of the "wellness" books were simply quick fix diet books.

That being said, they did have Idiocracy the movie available for $4.99, so that's good.
    I'm amazed Barnes & Noble physical locations are still in business.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I am too. Guess if I want something, I'll just go online.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Recent Reads

The Natural: The Misunderstood Presidency of Bill Clinton by Joe Klein A pretty good book describing the Clinton presidency. Not a complete biography as it only cover his presidency not pre or post presidency. Tells of the various decision he and his staff made during the most trying times of his administration.

Mortal Allies (Sean Drummond #2) by Brian Haig A good follow up effort from Haig in the second Sean Drummond book where he is brought in to second chair a high profile case in Korea after a soldier is charged with killing the son of the Defense Minister. Amidst protests and mounting political pressure he must attempt to establish whether his client is innocent or not and deal with a difficult co-counsel from his past.

To Kill the Irishman: The War That Crippled the Mafia by Rick Porrello This book tells the story of the Cleveland Mafia and their war against an Irish gangster Danny Greene. It tells of Greene’s short rise and then the campaign of terror and bombings between the two factions and the trial of Greene’s killers.

The Cutthroat (Isaac Bell #10) by Clive Cussler, Justin Scott The latest Isaac Bell thriller finds him investigating a killer who is killing young women and prostitutes. Believing it may be connected to Jack The Riper this case takes him from NY to London and back to the US as he tracks this killer who may have been killing for over 20 years.

The Prisoner (John Wells #11) by Alex Berenson Another good John Wells novel which finds him undercover in a black site trying to find a traitor within the CIA. The one negative for me was the extremely poor/weird reason why the CIA man decides to turn traitor and give information to ISIS, it just didn’t make sense to me.

The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone #11) by Steve Berry The latest Cotton Malone novel finds him trying to stop a madman who wants to bring back the Soviet Union using a plan put in place during the Reagan years. Can Cotton, Cassiopeia and the crew stop him before he unleashes a strike on the presidential inauguration.

Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren #7) by Lisa Gardner DD is seriously hurt at a crime scene but recovering she can’t help but remain involved in the case especially when the crime scenes are connected to her new therapist a daughter and sister to killers. The killings match the killings of her father and they may be stalking her. Ok book

Mistaken Identity (Rosato and Associates #4) by Lisa Scottoline This book finds Bennie defending a woman who is accused of killing her police officer boyfriend. She also claims to be her long lost twin. As Bennie struggles with this revelation and her client’s assertion that she was framed for the murder by crooked cops she must fight for her life and to defend her client. Good read.

Detective Cross (Alex Cross #24.5) by James Patterson A short bookshots Cross novel which finds him investigating a string of bombing which are located around the Capitol Mall. On suspension Alex and his wife Bree struggle to find the bomber before a mass casualty event occurs.

Private: Gold (Private #13.5) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Jassy Mackenzie So this Private novel takes place in South Africa where their investigator stunned by the death of his partner is pressed into service as the bodyguard of an American Woman searching for the reason her husband’s business is failing. Okay with some action but the story could have used a little longer to flesh more of the story out.

The Trial (Women's Murder Club #15.5) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Maxine Paetro After capturing the notorious Mexican Drug Lord the Kingfisher San Francisco is under siege. Seeking to intimidate his way out of a conviction vows vengeance as Lindsey and the Murder Club seek to stop him.

The Target (Pike Logan #10.5) by Brad Taylor A very good short e-book by Taylor which shows how Israeli Mossad officer, Aaron and Shoshanna came to be paired together and their first mission tracking an ex-Nazi in Argentina.

The 4th Man (Quincy & Rainie #6.5) by Lisa Gardner A short Quincy and Rainey novel where they are seeking to find a murderer on a cold case by interviewing the main suspects. OK

3 Truths and a Lie (Detective D.D. Warren #7.5) by Lisa Gardner This short DD Warren book has her speaking at a mystery writers conference and telling the story of one of her strangest cases. OK read but just a short story.

The 7th Month (Detective D.D. Warren #5.5) by Lisa Gardner Another short e-book find DD Warren in the 7th month of her pregnancy acting as a film consultant on a motion picture. Dragged into an investigation when the form consultant turns up dead she seeks to get to the bottom of the case. Ok for a short book.

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann This book follow the killings and investigation of members of the Osage Nation in the 20’s a tribe wealthy by the oil rights to their property. The first part of the book drags a bit but picks up when the Bureau of Investigations, the future FBI, finally selects Tom White to head the investigation. The part about the investigation trial and the aftereffects is good. The way the Osage were mistreated and taken advantage of was appalling. The missteps in the investigation and the people who participated or looked the other way was amazing.

Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe #2) by Phillip Margolin The Second Amanda Jaffe book finds her defending a pimp who is accused of killing a US Senator and his first attorney. As lots of people associated with the case start to get killed she believes a wider conspiracy may be in effect. Can she determine his innocence and unravel the conspiracy.
        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          The main one here in Des Moines is pretty good. The one at the mall less so. amazon's great if you know what you want; but a book store is still best for browsing for new authors/titles.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            The main one here in Des Moines is pretty good. The one at the mall less so. amazon's great if you know what you want; but a book store is still best for browsing for new authors/titles.
            I tried about a year ago. The "categories" are so scattered and the books within said categories are not in any order, it was a "where do I start?" sort of feeling. Online is so much easier.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I tried about a year ago. The "categories" are so scattered and the books within said categories are not in any order, it was a "where do I start?" sort of feeling. Online is so much easier.
              That is the fun of it. Browsing. I love book stores. The smell, the feel of the books, reading the synopsis on the back or jacket...

Comment

Or a library that has a standard organization system.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  You're such a Dewey-eyed optimist!
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

They are categorized. For most types of books, go to the section for type of book, then they're ordered by the author's name. For certain other sections, graphic novels and manga as examples, they're sorted by title because the number of contributors to each title is too long for a single author or illustrator to be used as the sorting mechanism, in most cases.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                      This assumes you have a good library (or more importantly, good librarians who can cobble together a good collection), and not one that has 20 copies of 50 shades of grey but no Orwell.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        They are categorized. For most types of books, go to the section for type of book, then they're ordered by the author's name. For certain other sections, graphic novels and manga as examples, they're sorted by title because the number of contributors to each title is too long for a single author or illustrator to be used as the sorting mechanism, in most cases.
                        I am into non-fiction, and there seems to be no particular order. History, for example, should be ordered by timeline, IMO. That would be SO much easier to find something that I'm interested in. Sports are generally sorted by sport, alphabetically, and surprisingly the easiest to navigate.

Finished W Kamau Bell's book in about 3 nights, it's worth a read, especially if you like his show (United Shades Of America, CNN). Easy read, entertaining and informative, and of course, it's a sort of autobiography, so you learn more about him and where he's coming from.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Recent reads

George Washington's Secret Spy War: The Making of America's First Spymaster by John A. Nagy An okay book about the spy methods used during the Revolutionary War. It shows how Washington first used the art of spying during the French and Indian War and how he evolved those methods during the Revolution. Many of the deceptions, false flags and spies used by Washington are described in the book.

Sharpe's Devil (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #21) by Bernard Cornwell The final Sharpe book finds him heading to South America to find an old friend. On the way he stops to pay a visit to Napoleon and agrees to carry a message. After arriving in Chile Sharpe and Harper get involved in the Chilean Civil War.

Even Steven by John Gilstrap This book from Gilstrap follows the kidnapping of a young boy and the various players in his abduction and the people who attempt to rescue him.

Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War by Ben Macintyre This book tells about the formation of the SAS and SBS and follows their exploits from North Africa till the end of the war with their various missions and members. I was disappointed that it did not cover any of the post WW II missions.

Cold Shot (Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke #2) by Mark E. Henshaw A good second effort from Henshaw finds Kyra heading back to Venezuela trying to stop the Iranians and their allies from bringing a nuclear weapon into this hemisphere. Good read

Campy: The Two Lives of Roy Campanella by Neil Lanctot A very good look at the life of Roy Campenella. His early years growing up in Philadelphia. His life in the Negro Leagues who he started playing in at the age of 15. His seasons playing in Puerto Rica, Cuba and the Mexican league. His battles against discrimination prior to and after signing with the Dodgers. His career with the Dodgers including winning 3 MVP awards, his disagreements and feud with Jackie Robinson. After the car accident that left him paralyzed his life after the accident and involvement with baseball.

The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond #3) by Brian Haig The 3rd book finds Sean defending a man charged with treason for giving information to the Russians. The case is complicated since they have a history and Sean used to date his wife. Lots of back and forth and action as Sean and his co-counsel are threatened with death several times as they attempt to find out whether their client was framed.

Embrace an Angry Wind (Modern War Studies) by Wiley Sword A very in depth book about the final battles of the Tennessee campaign; Spring Hill, Franklin, Nashville, encompassing John Bell Hood’s time in command of the Western Confederate armies. It details his decisions in command, who he passed over, who he punished who he rewarded and the ways John Scofield and George Thomas operated against him. Very good and very detailed sometimes you get lost in the units and generals, particularly the Tennessee and Missouri units who were in both armies. The ineptitude of Hood and how he was put in command and stayed in command is the best part of the book.

The Burial Hour (Lincoln Rhyme #13) by Jeffery Deaver This is an interesting Lincoln Rhyme book where he and Amelia spend much of the book tracking down a kidnapper named the composer who is targeting immigrants from the Middle East. Working with the Italian police who aren’t thrilled to have his help they must try to track down the man before someone die. OK read

Dodge City: Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, and the Wickedest Town in the American West by Tom Clavin An okay book that really tells the tale of Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson rather than the story of Dodge City. Early in the book they do tell how Dodge was founded but then it mainly follows the careers of these two legendary lawmen. Particularly enjoyed the sections on Bat Masterson since I have not read a lot about him, except for what was in the Time Life books, his friendships and run in’s with the James Brothers, Billy the Kid and other legendary Wil West figures is interesting. As for Wyatt there is some new information but much I had already read in previous books about him, Tombstone and the Shootout at the OK Corral.

George W. Bush: America's 43rd President by Matt Donnelly So in my quest to read a biography of every US President I face a dilemma as I select books on recent Presidents. I can choose to read their autobiography or books written by members of their administration which tend to be positive or books written by their opponents which tend to be negative and nasty. I opted to try this which I thought would be similar to the US Presidents series and it was but it was definitely for a younger age group, I’m guessing middle school. This was a short biography full of pictures and tidbits the majority focused on his pre-presidency and they his first term and re-election. OK for a middle schooler to read.
                          Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Finally getting caught up on Alex Cross. Finished Cross Justice last week - #23 - by far the best one so far. Fun fact: lots of time I find stuff in the pages of library books. I found a receipt in this one that it had been checked out a friend of mine in January. Weird I have 24 and 24.4 on the way from the library.

Also been reading Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series - these take a little while to get into, but very enjoyable. I like her writing style, and her dialogue is very witty and honest.

Originally posted by Probert View Post
                            Campy: The Two Lives of Roy Campanella by Neil Lanctot A very good look at the life of Roy Campenella. His early years growing up in Philadelphia. His life in the Negro Leagues who he started playing in at the age of 15. His seasons playing in Puerto Rica, Cuba and the Mexican league. His battles against discrimination prior to and after signing with the Dodgers. His career with the Dodgers including winning 3 MVP awards, his disagreements and feud with Jackie Robinson. After the car accident that left him paralyzed his life after the accident and involvement with baseball.
                            Have not read this one, and it's right in my wheelhouse. Might give it a try.

Comment

Empire of the Summer Moon is the best history I've read in years. Every page is totally engrossing. Highest recommendation.
                              I'm trying to remember a history where such wonderful details fit neatly into such clarity of context: it reminds me of Battle Cry of Freedom - it's that good.
                              Last edited by geezer; 07-05-2017, 10:14 PM.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

The Memory of Old Jack, by Wendell Berry has been around a long time, and I'm sure some of you have read it. If not, try to find the time. It is short. About a time and place in northwest kentucky tobacco farming country. We are all touched by different things, but the first half dozen pages are just exquisite.
                                Last edited by burd; 07-07-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X