This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Book Thread number ?

Recent reads This includes a lot of short e-books from my vacation, along with a lot of James Patterson who I can read in a day and on vacation can usually knock back two.

Sharpe's Revenge (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #19) by Bernard Cornwell Napoleon has abdicated and Sharpe is forced to try and clear his name. In my opinion probably the weakest of the Sharpe novels. Very little action a lot of moving parts that don’t seem to move the story line along that much. The Jane storyline took an unexpected turn.

Red Cell (Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke #1) by Mark E. Henshaw Interesting first novel. Kyra stryker a new CIA agent is burned in Venezuela by a political appointee. Not leaving her out to dry she is transferred back to HQ and involved in a operation called Red Cell which tries off the wall scenarios. When China meddles with Taiwan putting them on the War with the US. Tasked with going in to meet a Chinese mole to find out their game plan they end up having to exfiltrate him. Good read

George H. W. Bush: Character at the Core by Curt Smith A pretty good biography of the 41st President. His rise thru the political ranks, his association with the Nixon and Ford administrations as UN and Chinese ambassador and as Director of the CIA. His years as Vice President and President and his post presidency. I agree with some of the other reviewers in that their was a little too much personal information of the author listed. I didn’t disagree with the points where he personally interacted with the President but some of the other references could have been left out.

Legal Tender (Rosato and Associates #2) by Lisa Scottoline The second book in the series finds Bennie Rosato accused of killing her law partner and former boyfriend. On the run she attempts to piece together who may have tried to frame her for his murder. OK book but not as good as the one’s in the later series. Very little courtroom drama.

Bad Love (Alex Delaware #8) by Jonathan Kellerman Alex gets a tape of someone screaming in the mail and this leads him on a case dating back for many years. Someone is out to get him and can he get to the bottom of it before he’s next.

George B. McClellan: The Young Napoleon by Stephen W. Sears A good biography of McClellan the two time head of the Army of the Potomac who was a great organizer but didn’t like to fight. Exploring his early life, his service during the Mexican War and his short period out of the Army. The bulk of the book deals with his service during the Civil War and his clashes with other generals and in particular President Lincoln, Secretary Stanton and General Scott. Also tells of his campaign against President Lincoln in 1864 and his life post Civil War.

Self-Defense (Alex Delaware #9) by Jonathan Kellerman This Delaware novel finds him investigating an old case based on dreams that a patient of his is having of something that happened when she was a child. As he and Milo follow the case they realize much of what she says is correct and people have been killed over the years to keep the secret.

Fighter Boys by Patrick Bishop A pretty good book about how the RAF fought against the Nazi's in France and then helped defend Britain against the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand An excellent biography of track star Louie Zamperini. Telling of his early childhood, his track prowess and running at the 1936 Olympics as an 19 year old. The crash of his plane in the Pacific during WWII and his harrowing survival at sea in a rubber raft. If that was not enough he endured 2 years of captivity by the Japanese. Just a slight bit on his post WWII life. Much better than the movie.

Survival of the Fittest (Alex Delaware #12) by Jonathan Kellerman Alex and Milo are investigating the death of an Israeli vip at the embassy's daughter who was murdered. As they investigate they find that their are other murders that mirror hers. It appears as if a group may be targeting the less fortunate.

The Mercedes Coffin by Faye Kellerman This book finds Peter Decker investigating a cold case at the behest of a tech titan who thinks that a recent murder mirrors that of a favorite teacher 15 years before. The common denominator being that they were found in the trunk of a Mercedes. As he investigates he finds similarities and things that have remained hidden for 15 years. Good read.

You've Been Warned by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Howard Roughan This book is about a woman who keeps seeing death and wakes up with nightmares. It’s weird and makes little sense.

Cross the Line James Patterson This Cross book finds them trying to track down the killer of the Chief of Detectives but they are distracted by large scale assaults on crime syndicates with large amounts of bodies, drugs and cash left behind. Not as good as some of the more recent Cross novels.

The Highwayman by Craig Johnson A Walt Longmire novella where he and Henry are helping a youn highway patrolmen who is hearing the voices of a trooper who died 30 years before and everyone thinks she is crazy. OK

The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort I debated whether to give this 1 or two stars. I did manage to finish it but didn't like it. If he had focused a little more on the financial crimes and Wall Street stuff rather than the constant dropping of F-bombs and how much he loves Quaaludes which is repeated ad nausem throughout every chapter of the book it would have been much better.

The Quickie by James Patterson , Michael Ledwidge This was a little disappointing as The Michael Bennet series which Ledwidge is the co-author is probably my favorite Patterson series at the moment. This is about a female NYPD detective who finds out her husband is having an affair and she decides to have one as well and then her life falls apart.

Suspicion by Joseph Finder A very good novel about a single father who gets tied up with the Mexican drug cartels when his daughter befriends the new girl in school. Caught between divided loyalties, different drug cartels and US law enforcement he battles to save his family.

Cradle and All by James Patterson An apocalyptic book as 2 virgins are due to give birth the church thinks one will give birth to the son of the devil the other the son of god. Anne Fitzgerald, a former cop and former nun now P.I. is tasked to help the Vatican find out the truth. OK

The History Buff's Guide to the Presidents: Top Ten Rankings of the Best, Worst, Largest and Most Controversial Facets of the American Presidency by Thomas R. Flagel I have been reading a biography of every US President and got this as an addendum. This is a book with a bunch of different Top 10 lists and which Presidents fit into it. Biggest scandal, best Commander in Chief, best cabinet etc. along with a brief explanation of why it fits on the list.

Don't Blink by James Patterson, Howard Roughan An interesting mob book where an enterprising young reporter is investigating whether or not a mob boss has been framed for the murder of his lawyer. The more he looks into it the more his life is in danger along with the people around him.

Allanon's Quest (Paladins of Shannara #1 by Terry Brooks A short pre-Sword of Shannara e-book detailing Allanon’s quest to find an heir of Shannara to battle against the Warlock Lord.

The Weapons Master's Choice (Paladins of Shannara, #2) by Terry Brooks This Terry Brooks e-book follow Garet Jax the weapon master, probably my favorite Shannara character, along with Stee Jans. This finds him going on a quest to rescue a city of defenseless people held captive by a powerful Warlock.

The Black Irix (Paladins of Shannara #3) by Terry Brooks This e-book picks up shortly after the Sword of Shannara and finds Shea, Flick and Panamon Creel on a quest to recover the Black Irix lost by their friend Kelset which is being held by a thief.

Plan B: A Nick Heller Story (Nick Heller #2.5) by Joseph Finder This short Nick Heller novella finds him breaking into a protected estate in Spain to rescue a young girl being held captive and doesn’t find the reception that he thinks he will.

Scipio Africanus: The Roman Miltary Genius by Michael Klein An ok short biography of Scipio Africanus his involvement in the Punic Wars and how he defeated Hannibal but way too much speculation and non facts included.

Deviant Way (Jack Paris #1) by Richard Montanari Interesting novel about a Cleveland Detective who is trying to track down a serial killer who is preying on young woman. Not as good as the Balzano and Byrne novels.

Kiss of Evil (Jack Paris #2) by Richard Montanari Found this very similar to the plot of the first Jack Paris novel The Deviant Way where he is trying to track down a serial killer and personally targeted by the killer.

The Vikings: Raiders, Explorers And Seafaring Warriors by Lance Hightower This was an ok short overview of the Vikings and the influence they had on Europe. Telling of their culture, beliefs, mythology along with some of the great kings, chieftains and raiders of the period.

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
    by Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson This books tells the story of the greatest lost of Seals during the war in Afghanistan and the story of Marcus Luttrell the Lone Survivor. How he became a Seal and how he managed to survive the mission in Afghanistan.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Finished John Scott's book.

LOTS of typos (pet peeve) but a quick easy read. It was funny hearing the familiar things about Houghton, and interesting to read things about what he said about MN, compared to what the press released around here; nothing bad, just different points of view. Good for the hardcore fan, meh if you're a marginal fan/not a fan of the sport.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Here's a question. If you have a choice between a paperback copy, and a hard cover copy, which do you go for?

Been plowing through the Alex Cross books (among many others). Only up to #14. Most of the mystery series I like have a new one coming out this year, and it's hard enough to keep up with those.

Also saw there's going to be a new one in the Millennium series in September - details here. Thought the last one was a step down with the new author, but I'll probably read it anyway.

Comment

I prefer hardcover, but generally choose whatever's cheaper. Yes, I only buy books I read. I don't know why. I just do.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'm at the point where I will usually buy a hardcover for a book that I know I want to keep in my library. However, if I have only modest interest, I will just get the eBook on my Kindle, which I treat as my paperback repository.

Comment

I get most everything on my Kindle these days, unless I've read it and decided it's worth having a hardcover copy, then I'll spring for one of those too. That's rare these days.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I like paperback because I have small hands and they are easier to hold. Can't seem to get into any type of reader. I lose focus. Books I don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                  Here's a question. If you have a choice between a paperback copy, and a hard cover copy, which do you go for?

Been plowing through the Alex Cross books (among many others). Only up to #14. Most of the mystery series I like have a new one coming out this year, and it's hard enough to keep up with those.

Also saw there's going to be a new one in the Millennium series in September - details here. Thought the last one was a step down with the new author, but I'll probably read it anyway.
                  If it's one to keep, hardcover. Especially older ones, I go the penny plus 3.99 shipping on Amazon for a used copy route.

Comment

If it's one to keep, I like hardcover too, but I own a ton of paperbacks. At the library, I prefer hard cover, unless it's not available, then I'm willing to read the paperback. Most of those are so beat up I'm afraid to touch them (it's also less pleasant browsing the paperbacks). I'll never switch to an e-reader.

Comment

Use almost exclusively an ereader now, it is just too convenient not to use it. The only exception is if its a book I know I'll want to keep in my personal collection, then I'll spring for a hardcover. Not really any reason to have paperbacks anymore.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I'm at the point where I will usually buy a hardcover for a book that I know I want to keep in my library. However, if I have only modest interest, I will just get the eBook on my Kindle, which I treat as my paperback repository.
                        This is what I do. Hardcovers generally use better paper so they will last longer.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post

I have a nook and can read kindle books on my Fire but generally except when going on vacation I get actual books. The main reason for me is how long it takes to get e-books from the Library. I rarely buy books except for the library's used book sale or a travel book for vacation because I read so many. Some of the new releases you can wait months to get an e-version but I can find it sitting on the shelf when I go to the library even without putting them on reserve, here the ebooks are part of the Countywide library system so everyone in the county has access to the e-books. Plus a lot of older books are not available in e format even if newer books by the same author are.

The e-format is great for vacation when you can download 10 books to take and just have to take the ereader with you, though I usually take a couple of disposable paperbacks as well. It's also good to read the .5, novella's etc. that a lot of authors are now putting out since they are typically only available in electronic format, except for Patterson who has his bookshots also available in print.

Comment

Recent reads

Hostage by Robert Crais A very good book about a complicated hostage situation. 3 Young men one a violent killer on the run rob a convenience store and when chased by the police run into a house and hold the occupant’s hostage. The problem is the house is owned by a mob accountant who has the ability to put them in prison. The police chief is a former hostage negotiator who took this job after a failed negotiation in L.A. Can he face his demons and resolve the situation.

Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe #3) by Phillip Margolin This book follows several Oregon attorney’s Doug Weaver and Amanda Jaffe who seek to exonerate their clients charged with crimes that they believe may have been framed for. Weaver is haunted by a death penalty case of a possibly innocent man from years before. The further they did the more the bodies around them pile up. Ok read.

The Moscow Vector (Covert-One #6) by Patrick Larkin (Goodreads Author), Robert Ludlum (Series Creator) This Covert One book finds John Smith and Covert One seeking to stop the Russian President from unleashing his furor on the former Soviet Republics. Using a variety of the Hades Virus he has targeted analysts, soldiers and politicians. Can Smith and his team find the evidence to stop the plot before they end up in the ground.

The Last Innocent Man by Phillip Margolin David Nash is a defense attorney who defends the worst of the worst and often gets them off. He is becoming jaded and is debating whether or not he wants to continue. When he defends a fellow attorney accused of murdering a policewoman he believes he may be defending an innocent man but his feelings for the man’s wife complicate matters. He is still haunted after the man goes to prison which is complicated by a former client. OK read.

Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe #1) by Phillip Margolin The first Jaffe book finds her as a young attorney helping her father defend a surgeon accused of being a serial killer. After they get the evidence against him thrown out he vanishes leaving behind his hand possibly being murdered. Flash forward 4 years when Amanda is more established and the man’s ex-wife is accused of similar crimes with similar crime scenes. Is her husband haunting her from the grave or has he survived. Good read.

99: Stories of the Game by Wayne Gretzky, Kirstie McLellan Day A good book about the first 99 years of hockey by number 99. For obvious reasons a lot of the book focuses on events with his personal involvement but he does tell some stories of old time hockey and some of the players before his generation.

Night School by Lee Child In this Jack Reacher book Lee Child takes us back to when Reacher is in the Army. Tasked with a CIA agent and an FBI agent to try and get to the bottom of a case which may endanger the United States. They must try to track down an American who is attempting to sell something to a foreign group. Good read.

Order to Kill (Mitch Rapp #15) by Kyle Mills I’ve always been a big fan of Kyle Mills and while not quite as good as Vince Flynn he has done an admirable job of continuing the Mitch Rapp series. This book finds Mitch and his team trying to keep track of Pakistani nuclear weapons in the aftermath of the most recent book. Events happen that force Mitch to go undercover in ISIS to try an stop a terrorist attack. Good read.

No Man's Land (John Puller #4) by David Baldacci The most recent Puller novel finds him looking into the disappearance of his mother 20 years before when his father in a nursing home with dementia is named a suspect in it. Beset from all side by the establishment which wants to keep some deep secret from the past he struggles to find the truth before it can be buried.

Ring of Fire (Pike Logan #11) by Brad Taylor The latest Taskforce novel finds them racing to stop a number of terrorist attacks launched against America as they follow a money thread across the world. Ok read.

The Intimidation Game: How the Left Is Silencing Free Speech by Kimberley Strassel An in depth look at the various tactics used by the Obama administration to silence the voices against it. The first part of the book examines the IRS scandal. The crack down on Republican leaning group while Democratic aligned group are doing the same thing that the Democrats are complaining about. It goes into the war against corporate political donations while they ignore the donations made by labor unions. The war against the “evil” Koch brothers was also good while addressing the fact that many of the most active and vile groups on the other side are funded by a couple of rich billionaires Tom Speyer and George Soros.

Waterloo (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #20) by Bernard Cornwell The second to last book in the Sharpe series finds him at the last major battle of the Napoleonic Wars Waterloo. He seems to hop all over the battlefield from unit to unit I’m guessing so Cornwell can tell the whole story of the battle rather than the section Sharpe is in. It does have a little personal stuff with Jane and her lover but not a whole lot.

Comment

While I have yet to read that "The Story Of The Irish Race" by Seumas Macmanus (I know once I start, I will be rapt in it for days; that's a heavy read), I did just pick up W Kamau Bell's book The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell: Tales of a 6' 4", African American, Heterosexual, Cisgender, Left-Leaning, Asthmatic, Black and Proud Blerd, Mama's Boy, Dad, and Stand-Up Comedian. Looking forward to this one. He has a great show on CNN, that touches on social issues with a twist of humor to soften the razor edge of said issues.

Comment

Walked through Barnes and Noble today and was disappointed.

Wanted a few books on LGBT issues. Didn't have much.

Didn't have much in the way of traditional cookbooks.

And most of the "wellness" books were simply quick fix diet books.

That being said, they did have Idiocracy the movie available for $4.99, so that's good.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X