Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Cell Phone Thread

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    So my iPhone 4S is eligible for an upgrade in July. I'm not that impressed with the iPhone 5, so I'm thinking about graduating from the Cult of iProducts and going Android.

My biggest uses are Pandora/music, web browsing, and games. I'd also be new to Android, so something that would be simpler to use would be nice. Honestly, if Apple did an iPhone XL with a 5-inch screen I'd buy that and be done.

Currently leaning toward the HTC One because of the build quality, pixel density, and the awesome speakers. A coworker of mine has one and it looks sweeeeeeet. The Galaxy S4 is in second; lots of features, but kind of gimmicky, it's plastic, and I've heard battery life complaints. Feel free to sway me to other options.
    Consumer Reports picked the Galaxy S4 as the best around. Nothing's ever gonna get it down.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/tech/m...html?hpt=hp_t5

(CNN) -- A month after being released to mostly positive reviews, Samsung's flagship phone is getting some validation from Consumer Reports. The publication has run all its tests, kicked the phone's tires, and named the Android-powered Galaxy S4 its top rated smartphone.

The previous list-topper was the Optimus G, a solid $100 4.7-inch phone from LG that held Consumer Reports' No. 1 spot for several months. The Optimus G is now ranked as the No. 2 smartphone, followed by the HTC One, the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Apple iPhone 5.
    There are a few more paragraphs in the story, if you're interested in the link.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 model and have never been happier with a cell phone. If you are playing phone games of course you will have to charge it every day.

The one before this was a Droid X, so it was a big upgrade for me even though the droid is a smartphone.

I thought about getting the S4, but I don't want to restart all my phone games over again!

Pretty sure RAZR Maxx is Verizon exclusive up to this point.
      Agree100% on the S3. Wife and I both have one and love them. It was easy to link to the media center in or rental car in AZ, for streaming media and making calls via Bluetooth.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        I'm sorry, but all of those fancy gadgets does not constitute "telephone". Where's the cradle? Where's the dial? Where's the bell?
        Is this the party to whom I am speaking?

*****http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2011/01/26/2014042567.jpg******
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I don't want a telephone, I was born after 1940. I want a handheld computer. A computer that allows me several different modes of communications, be it via text, voice, web or video.
          I want a telephone. That can text. That's it. I don't want to pay the high prices (in general) for extras I do not want nor use.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/goo...ry?id=19288465

Jackpot.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Wish they could do the same with a CDMA phone. I'd like to have a phone that works where I take it.

Stupid vendor lock in with VZW.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                It's $600! For a *ING PHONE.

Get me off this planet.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  It's $600! For a *ING PHONE.

Get me off this planet.
                  All smart phones cost that much. Sure they sell them for 200-300 when they're new and your re-upping your plan, but 20-30 bucks a month of your bill is covering the remaining cost. So if you're not always getting a new phone as soon as you can, you're giving the cell companies even more money.
                  Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                    All smart phones cost that much. Sure they sell them for 200-300 when they're new and your re-upping your plan, but 20-30 bucks a month of your bill is covering the remaining cost. So if you're not always getting a new phone as soon as you can, you're giving the cell companies even more money.
                    You're not exactly convincing me of converting voluntarily.....

Comment

You're not exactly convincing me of converting voluntarily.....
                      Considering how long you've had your phone, you're basically paying for other people to get new phones every two years.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Considering how long you've had your phone, you're basically paying for other people to get new phones every two years.
                        How do you figure? I am not paying more than about 10 years ago (on my plan). I've been paying the same fee since the early 2000's. Same plan.

Comment

How do you figure? I am not paying more than about 10 years ago (on my plan). I've been paying the same fee since the early 2000's. Same plan.
                          Because you're not taking advantage of getting a new phone every two years, so you're just giving T-mobile extra money which keeps the cost down for people that do get new phones every two years...

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            Because you're not taking advantage of getting a new phone every two years, so you're just giving T-mobile extra money which keeps the cost down for people that do get new phones every two years...
                            Wait wait wait. I give TMobile $45/month. Have been for about 10 years, min. One "upgrade" that was free (basically new phone, not an upgrade in features). Meanwhile, others are upgrading phones for free and paying MORE for plans....and I'm paying money out for no reason (euphamism: losing money?). Nope. They are prob paying more because of people like me.

Comment

Wait wait wait. I give TMobile $45/month. Have been for about 10 years, min. One "upgrade" that was free (basically new phone, not an upgrade in features). Meanwhile, others are upgrading phones for free and paying MORE for plans....and I'm paying money out for no reason (euphamism: losing money?). Nope. They are prob paying more because of people like me.
                              T-mobile's just switched up the way they do it. You can get a data/phone plan for like 50 bucks, and then they'll tack on an addition 20-25 a month or so for 2 years till the phone you buy is paid off, then it'll drop back down to 50. Or you can bring in a phone that works with their service and it'll start off at just 50 bucks a month.
                              Old Monster Records

Comment

Your phone plan is probably worth $20-$25....you're giving them $45.

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X