The Cell Phone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Cell Phone Thread

Yaaaa... I'm due for an upgrade April 21st, really hoping they keep the unlimited data for me until I sign that contract.

Comment

ha. apparently my phone has inadvertently been sending friend requests to People I May (or May Not) Know.

Comment

Current ringtone?

Mine's evil.

Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

It's a moot point, if the Sun sends out some more X-class solar flares. Luddites will reign once again.

Try the smartphone, it is fun to have along... you'll just get used to keeping the battery charged.

Comment

Just updated to Ice Cream Sandwich on my Razr Maxx. Some neat stuff, just trying to figure out how to set stuff up now. Vzw released it yesterday as I understand it, go into settings, about phone, system updates.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              Just updated to Ice Cream Sandwich on my Razr Maxx. Some neat stuff, just trying to figure out how to set stuff up now. Vzw released it yesterday as I understand it, go into settings, about phone, system updates.
              Just did the same. Haven't seen many differences yet. If you find anything worthwhile, be sure to post it!
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Just did the same. Haven't seen many differences yet. If you find anything worthwhile, be sure to post it!
                Things I like: Facial recognition unlock, ability to swipe individual notifications to the side to delete them, refined widget selection screen (although weird they have it in the all applications top bar??). I'm sure there are others but I do like it so far, it was glitchy for me for a few hours at first but calmed down after a few restarts.

Things I'm not too fond of: Lack of switching off LTE (fixed by downloading LTE on/off for thunderbolt off the play store, dim notifications in top left with no fix apparently (should have access to a brightness slider).

Comment

Another stupid iPhone trick.

Dial the following number exactly as it appears and hit Call:

*3001#12345#*

This takes you to Field Test Mode, where you can see all kinds of technical gobbledygook about your network connection and any cell towers the phone can see. It also turns your signal bars into a number that reflects your signal strength in dBm, which is a lot more accurate. It'll be a negative number, higher (closer to 0) is better. -70 is about as good as it gets, -100 or worse and you're running out of signal.

To get out, do a force quit (hold the lock button until "swipe to turn off" appears, then hold the home button for 5 seconds until you're sent back to the home screen.) You keep the signal number, and can switch back to bars by touching it.

/why yes, I'm a Tech grad, what would EVER lead you to that conclusion?
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

*3001#12345#*

This takes you to Field Test Mode, where you can see all kinds of technical gobbledygook about your network connection and any cell towers the phone can see. It also turns your signal bars into a number that reflects your signal strength in dBm, which is a lot more accurate. It'll be a negative number, higher (closer to 0) is better. -70 is about as good as it gets, -100 or worse and you're running out of signal.

To get out, do a force quit (hold the lock button until "swipe to turn off" appears, then hold the home button for 5 seconds until you're sent back to the home screen.) You keep the signal number, and can switch back to bars by touching it.

iPhone, not Android... READ the message before typing....

I just jammed the Indian phone system.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      iPhone, not Android... READ the message before typing....

I just jammed the Indian phone system.
                      Apparently that number works on some Nokias too.

Looks like for other Androids, it's in Settings.

ETA: Nerd menu for Androids is:

*#*#4636#*#*
                      Last edited by Twitch Boy; 08-02-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Apparently that number works on some Nokias too.

Looks like for other Androids, it's in Settings.

ETA: Nerd menu for Androids is:

*#*#4636#*#*
                        Or go download LTE for Thunderbolt from the market, I mean play store (free, works for virtually all androids) and it gives you same info and ability to search for various signals.

Comment

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My droid works without going to some stupid nerd menu. Well kind of.

My Razr Maxx has had a glitch ever since i downloaded ice cream sandwich. And it only happens periodically. When I'm typing it will think I'm touching a different part of the touch screen, so I'll be sending a text and suddenly 5 random letters get "pressed" or it will hit the send button or something else like that. When its having the issue it's impossible to use, but it goes away after a while. I asked the person at Verizon about it and they had no clue, they told me to do a hard restart when it happens.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              My droid works without going to some stupid nerd menu. Well kind of.

My Razr Maxx has had a glitch ever since i downloaded ice cream sandwich. And it only happens periodically. When I'm typing it will think I'm touching a different part of the touch screen, so I'll be sending a text and suddenly 5 random letters get "pressed" or it will hit the send button or something else like that. When its having the issue it's impossible to use, but it goes away after a while. I asked the person at Verizon about it and they had no clue, they told me to do a hard restart when it happens.
                              That same thing used to happen to my Android phone that I had until last year. It was incredibly frustrating, but it would only appear if it had been more than three days since I performed a full shutdown/restart. That phone ran Android 2.4.1, I believe.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

*3001#12345#*

Apparently I'm dense because I don't see how this helps?

Comment

Working...
                                X