The Cell Phone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Cell Phone Thread

After saying I wouldn't buy a smart phone, I got one anyway (after finding out I can keep my current calling plan). Hopped on the Apple bandwagon. But in the spirit of my cell phone luddite attitude, I got an iphone 3GS because it was 99 cents, and I got the cheapest data plan available. Just wanted to be able to check my email away from home on a better interface (not a tiny flip phone screen), have the bigger screen, and full keyboard. So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      After saying I wouldn't buy a smart phone, I got one anyway (after finding out I can keep my current calling plan). Hopped on the Apple bandwagon. But in the spirit of my cell phone luddite attitude, I got an iphone 3GS because it was 99 cents, and I got the cheapest data plan available. Just wanted to be able to check my email away from home on a better interface (not a tiny flip phone screen), have the bigger screen, and full keyboard. So far so good.
      Wow! You sure live life on the edge!
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I have the $15/month data plan - is that the one you got? You know how much I use mine - I've never used it all up (though I have come close). You will really get used to having it.

Comment

I am thinking of using my upgrade to get either the Samsung Galaxy SII or the Motorol Photon. hardware-wise they are not much better than my Evo but battery wise they are and they can run Ice Cream Sandwich which even my rooted Evo cant do at the moment.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm probably one of the few Windows Phone fans on USCHO

Eagerly anticipating the Nokia Lumia 900 as my next upgrade.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I am thinking of using my upgrade to get either the Samsung Galaxy SII or the Motorol Photon.
              I've had a Photon since September and really like it. My daughter just got the Galay SII on Sunday and is amazed by it. I'll get a chance to try it myself this weekend. Both of us came from Blackberry's so Android was all new to us but I caught on really quick and now wonder how I lived without it.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
              Northeast Regional:
              West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I have the $15/month data plan - is that the one you got? You know how much I use mine - I've never used it all up (though I have come close). You will really get used to having it.
                I have the 300mb plan for $20/month. If I go over, it's $20 for each additional 300 mb. The phone is only 8gb, but I don't plan on using it as my ipod (my ipod is bigger) and it's not like I'm going to take videos or anything. What I wish I had is a text plan - my calling plan is a business plan, so texts are only available as pay-per-use and unlimited.

Comment

I have the 300mb plan for $20/month. If I go over, it's $20 for each additional 300 mb. The phone is only 8gb, but I don't plan on using it as my ipod (my ipod is bigger) and it's not like I'm going to take videos or anything. What I wish I had is a text plan - my calling plan is a business plan, so texts are only available as pay-per-use and unlimited.
                  Go up to the 2GB plan and watch baseball on your cell phone.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

That wasn't even an option when I got mine. It was 200mb for $15 and another $15 if I go over, and $25 for 2GB. I can go in and change to the $25 plan with no problem and I would do that if I was constantly going over but if I go over once a year, I still make out in the ong run. I thought texting plans were separate from calling plans? Maybe because I have the same calling plan from when I got my first cellphone way back when and there was no texting back then. I pay $10/month for 1500 texts. It's its own plan. Is your phone a work phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      That wasn't even an option when I got mine. It was 200mb for $15 and another $15 if I go over, and $25 for 2GB. I can go in and change to the $25 plan with no problem and I would do that if I was constantly going over but if I go over once a year, I still make out in the ong run. I thought texting plans were separate from calling plans? Maybe because I have the same calling plan from when I got my first cellphone way back when and there was no texting back then. I pay $10/month for 1500 texts. It's its own plan. Is your phone a work phone?
                      I guess the texting is a "feature" and not a plan, and it may not be because of my calling plan - but my cousin has a different calling plan, and she has more options for texting (like yours, she gets 200 texts for a certain amount - or whatever). She also has a newer calling plan than mine, which I've had for probably 13 years (like yours, before texting existed). It's not a work phone (my cell number is highly guarded info as far as they are concerned ) Once upon a time, I remember them offering texting like yours, but I didn't sign up for it and now it isn't available.
                      Last edited by jen; 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                        I've had a Photon since September and really like it. My daughter just got the Galay SII on Sunday and is amazed by it. I'll get a chance to try it myself this weekend. Both of us came from Blackberry's so Android was all new to us but I caught on really quick and now wonder how I lived without it.
                        I used the Galaxy for a bit and it was just so smooth and the battery life destroys the HTC phones. (Sense is a resource hog) I have never used a Motorola android device so I have no idea about anything to do with them. Thanks for the info though.

With Sprint beginning its switchover to LTE though it is tough to switch phones though the LG Viper and the Nexus are LTE compatible. Who knows when the Twin cities will be LTE though :/
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I went for the 4 GB plan, anticipating a lot of Pandora streaming. I also like being able to tether because I have a wifi iPad and as a failsafe against my Internet going out (NEVER kill a Techie's Internet connection, it turns into a scene out of Lord of the Flies. Or that one episode of South Park. Sometimes THAT one.)

I've had the thing 3 months and am just now hitting 2 GB lifetime usage. Lulz. It'll probably go up as I overcome the mental blocks of going from a dumb phone to a smartphone. It's like going from a John Deere to an F-22. "Really? You mean I can buy a $5 cable and hook this thing in my car radio and stream whatever I want on Pandora? Why haven't I been doing this all along?"
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I have unlimited data, for $28 per month, grandfathered in. Yeah....I'm never changing my plan.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              I have unlimited data, for $28 per month, grandfathered in. Yeah....I'm never changing my plan.
                              Same here. Unlimited data for $20.00 a month.
                              sigpic

Comment

I would suspect at some point in the not so distant future they will make you change from your unlimited plan if you want to take advantage of one of their offers for an upgraded phone.

Comment

Working...
                                X