Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Cell Phone Thread

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Is it the micro/mini usb style port on the phone? I had a BB before that had to be replaced by VZW because the port got bent or something on the phone and wouldn't charge. Could be the case here I suppose if it isn't the battery.
    I think so, it's like a trapezoid with a couple edges sticking out on the bottom. The problem is, two of them didn't work (LG and BB). Hopefully it's the charger somehow, but if not I guess I'll wait until Friday or Saturday. Also, do you think it's just the battery, or could it be the phone too even though he tested it?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      I think so, it's like a trapezoid with a couple edges sticking out on the bottom. The problem is, two of them didn't work (LG and BB). Hopefully it's the charger somehow, but if not I guess I'll wait until Friday or Saturday. Also, do you think it's just the battery, or could it be the phone too even though he tested it?
      Yep, that should be the right shape for the mini usb.

The thing with the port is you wouldn't be able to tell it doesn't work by just looking at it most likely. Seeing how 2 chargers didn't work, my guess would be battery or the port, since I would think it is unlikely that both chargers are defective.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Yep, that should be the right shape for the mini usb.

The thing with the port is you wouldn't be able to tell it doesn't work by just looking at it most likely. Seeing how 2 chargers didn't work, my guess would be battery or the port, since I would think it is unlikely that both chargers are defective.
        So should I ask him to send a new battery and a new phone tomorrow, and tell him I'll send back whatever doesn't work or whatever I don't need?
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          So should I ask him to send a new battery and a new phone tomorrow, and tell him I'll send back whatever doesn't work or whatever I don't need?
          Hmmm, might now be a bad idea to ask, worst case is he says wait on the phone until you rule out the battery.

Comment

I doubt it is the battery...I would say the odds are heavy that it is the charging port. I say skip the battery and ask for a replacement phone.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

My wife got a Droid Incredible. It's the first phone I've seen that actually impressed me (other than her Blackberry, which just intimidates me).
              Last edited by Kepler; 07-19-2011, 08:34 AM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I can tell you this, avoid Samsung phones like the plague if you can. (especially if you ever go to Smartphones) There are way better companies to deal with. Beyond that I cannot help you I have an HTC Evo so I am all smartphone all the time
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                They still make non-smart phones?
                Thankfully, yes. Just a few months ago, I replaced my 5 year old Samsung with a new Samsung. Flip, light, compact, and simple. Love it. No idea what model it is, but it's blue.

(I looked into a smart phone, but still could not justify getting one. The utility they offer don't seem to add to my life, let alone for the cost. Would love to want one, but just can't see the benefit. So a phone that is a phone is fine for me. It added a camera that I can't really use, since my plan does not currently include data)

Comment

So I'm due for a phone upgrade (valued AT&T customer since 2001!) and I was looking at the options - not many choices for us cell phone luddites. I didn't see anything I'd prefer over my current phone. I hope it lasts forever (I should maybe try not to drop it in any more sinks after a few cocktails). My current plan is $8.95/month plus charges per text and per minute (which usually makes my total bill $15-20 - still cheaper than unlimited anything, which I wouldn't use). Really having trouble justifying the cost of a smart phone and way more expensive plan, but I'm not sure how much longer they'll keep my plan available. I would think there's some kind of red, flashing, non-smart-phone-user alert next to my name by now.
                  Last edited by jen; 10-26-2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

How about a cheap phone that will work in Europe? Since I have sprint as my provider, a non contract pay as you go phone is preferred.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      How about a cheap phone that will work in Europe? Since I have sprint as my provider, a non contract pay as you go phone is preferred.
                      E-bay the cheapest used Euro phone you can get, and once you arrive, head to the closest place that sells SIM cards (the ones you have researched for that country that will meed your needs- they change), install, make calls.

We started that in 2005, and have used the same phone since then.

If you were with anyone BUT Sprint, then the suggestion would change to unlock your phone so that you can use any card (if it has Euro bands on it).

Comment

Did some homework, and I am skipping the Droid Razr for Verizon. The phone itself is great, but it comes with Android 2.3.5 OS. My phone now already has 2.3.3, so its a non-upgrade.

I will wait until a 4G phone comes out that has Android 4.0 on it. Although probably not the Samsung, as they feel cheap.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Did some homework, and I am skipping the Droid Razr for Verizon. The phone itself is great, but it comes with Android 2.3.5 OS. My phone now already has 2.3.3, so its a non-upgrade.

I will wait until a 4G phone comes out that has Android 4.0 on it. Although probably not the Samsung, as they feel cheap.
                          Pretty big fan of the Razr so far. Yeah, it's a bit bigger in the area dept compared to some other phones, but it's sleek enough volume wise to not be noticeable in my pocket, which is great. Also, I'm 6'6" so it doesn't really feel that big to me (that's what she said?). It's light too, but definitely doesn't feel cheap. Verizon 4G is pretty great too, streams NHL Gamecenter perfectly, it's faster than my 10Mbit home connection, and works great with Netflix too.
                          Old Monster Records

Comment

I stopped in the Verizon store over lunch today, because I'm curious about the tablets, though I'm still not willing to spend that much on them plus pay for another data package. I looked at the Droid Razr when I was in there, it looked pretty good, kinda like what Rimbaud said, sleek, light, etc. I didn't play around with it much, though, since I was checking out the tablets most of the time. I don't really have to worry about that one, since I have about 8 months left on my contract, there will be a newer, better version out by the time I have to buy a new one. I'm looking forward to upgrading to 4G, and I'm planning on sticking with a Motorola, since my current phone has had absolutely no issues since I bought it.

Back to tablets. Does anyone have one? Is it worth the money? I am really nervous about only having 2gb of data, for $30 per month, when streaming Netflix could work so well on the 4G network. I don't have internet at home, so I'd end up always using the 4G network, and I think my data alotment wound be used up right away. To upgrade to 80gb costs $80 per month and there is no way I'm spending that much...$30 per month more is way to much, IMO. Is it worth having one of them without having the constant internet access?
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Played with a Droid Razr at Thanksgiving (friend at Thanksgiving dinner is a VZW rep). Only issue I saw was that YouTube looked like horsesh** on it. Everything else looked amazing. I would either get that or an iPhone (only because I already have an iPod Touch and the apps would be the same).

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              ... It added a camera that I can't really use, since my plan does not currently include data)
                              I don't have a data plan on my dumb phone, and I use my camera all the time. Photos can be sent as multi-media text messages (MMS) and I have my Google e-mail address saved in the phone book as a contact. Comes in handy because you can't see * in a photo on those dumb phone screens. Facebook also allows you to "e-mail" photos for upload, and I have them saved as a contact too.

I wish I could get a smartphone without the data plan. That's how they make extra profit though.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Supposedly the galaxy nexus will be coming out on Verizon in the next month. That phone will have ice cream sandwich on it. Waiting til its out in the stores to compare the two.

Comment

Working...
                                X