Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Cell Phone Thread

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Facebook has it too. I googled Air Force Marathon, and it popped up in my feed.
    They made us read Feed my freshman year at Tech. I hated the book and didn't like the author (who visited campus that fall to discuss it), but it seems like he was closer to the long-term truth that I'd care to admit.

Comment

Sometimes I swear I just think something and it shows up in an ad.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        They made us read Feed my freshman year at Tech. I hated the book and didn't like the author (who visited campus that fall to discuss it), but it seems like he was closer to the long-term truth that I'd care to admit.
        I don't usually go anywhere near young adult books but I might give that a try.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I don't usually go anywhere near young adult books but I might give that a try.
          I might re-read it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
            I've heard in the past that you can be evesdropped on through your smartphone.
            Didn't believe it until...
            This week at work i needed to order two pillowblick bearings. Never looked them up on my phone, never made the order from my phone. Just talked about what I needed to my co-worker. My coworker was actually the one that ordered the parts.
            Today I was reading an article on MSN. In the middle of the article was an add for pillowblocks!!!
            What the hell?!?!?!?!
            Turn your TV to one of the Spanish channels, leave the volume up, and leave your phone next to it overnight.

In the morning all your Facebook ads will be in Spanish.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              Turn your TV to one of the Spanish channels, leave the volume up, and leave your phone next to it overnight.

In the morning all your Facebook ads will be in Spanish.
              no me gusta esa idea

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                It's not limited to cell phones. I've noticed when watching YouTube videos on my PC, if you go to Google something you're not familiar with that gets mentioned in the video, it's usually at the top of the search suggestions. Seems that Ajax scripting now has the power to 'hear' video, or at least knows the most searched terms based on the video you're watching.
                I was talking with a co-worker a month ago on Skype's instant messenger and she remarked how one of our newer hires looked like Jeffrey Dahmer. Naturally, I immediately went to do a Google image search...all I had to type was "Je" and it was the top suggestion.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

What is the consensus on One+ phones? I saw that the newest model scheduled to be released passed certifications needed to work on the Verizon Network.

I had a few co-workers rave over them when they first came out a few years back; I haven't heard much since then as they were a GSM only phone and Samsung and Google finally got their sh** together and made some stellar phones.

My S7 Edge is almost two years old. Was thinking I might need a replacement and was wondering if the new One+ coming out next month would be a step up from what I have now.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Ok, so I haven't got a new phone since 2016 so I'm not sure how this process works. 2016 was the jump from a "dumb" phone to the smart one, so I literally manually added all my contacts.

How is Apple with going from one phone to another? I purchased a new iPhone 13 Pro today since my 5S seems to be on it's last legs with support done and many apps now requiring IOS 13 or newer. I pay $1/month to Apple for cloud storage, so that should allow me access to all my photos and contacts on the new phone, right? Everything should be an easy-peasy change once I switch the SIM card over it seems.

I'm dumb as rocks with this stuff and know just enough to be dangerous, so please, help me out, ha ha...

EDIT: Boost Mobile (Originally Virgin Mobile USA) is my carrier. Not sure that makes a difference, but other than buying my phone outright, the $35/month for unlimited everything (well I never hit the data Max) is the cheapest option provided I get a couple of years out of the phone.
                    Last edited by RaceBoarder; 11-18-2021, 08:30 PM.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• I still have my POS Samsung; I'm ready to jump into the future... well, the present.

Who is happy with their phone?
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I own a Pixel 5 and am pleased.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I still have my POS Samsung; I'm ready to jump into the future... well, the present.

Who is happy with their phone?
                          I’m happy with my iPhone XS, but I have low standards:

- get me to USCHO
                          - let me gmail, Google maps/Waze, and podcasts
                          - take snapshots so I can record memories for myself and also take pictures of hard to see things for zooming (eg get the serial number off the back of my dishwasher)
                          - battery that lasts >1 day of my usage so it can charge overnight
                          ​​​​​​- make phone calls
                          - flashlight

Anything more than that and I probably won’t bother learning how to use it so what’s the point?
                          Last edited by LynahFan; 11-19-2021, 05:48 AM.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            Ok, so I haven't got a new phone since 2016 so I'm not sure how this process works. 2016 was the jump from a "dumb" phone to the smart one, so I literally manually added all my contacts.

How is Apple with going from one phone to another? I purchased a new iPhone 13 Pro today since my 5S seems to be on it's last legs with support done and many apps now requiring IOS 13 or newer. I pay $1/month to Apple for cloud storage, so that should allow me access to all my photos and contacts on the new phone, right? Everything should be an easy-peasy change once I switch the SIM card over it seems.

I'm dumb as rocks with this stuff and know just enough to be dangerous, so please, help me out, ha ha...

EDIT: Boost Mobile (Originally Virgin Mobile USA) is my carrier. Not sure that makes a difference, but other than buying my phone outright, the $35/month for unlimited everything (well I never hit the data Max) is the cheapest option provided I get a couple of years out of the phone.
                            If you instructed your iPhone to store contacts in your iCloud account, then you can transfer all that info pretty easily. If you didn’t, I hope you kept a Rolodex.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Not an iPhone guy, but seconding what St. Clown said. Make sure you have your contacts backed up in your iCloud account. I believe you can can log into iCloud to verify the backup and make sure the backup is turned on. If everything is backed up, Apple should do its cloud magic voodoo on your new phone where it will ask you to restore your iCloud information.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• This is why I hate this crap...

I have Contacts turned on under my iCloud settings. I assume that means that my contacts are saved.

But when I pull it up on iCloud, it only shows about 1/4 of my contacts, and ZERO phone numbers saved. The people that are saved are just names and addresses. No phone numbers...

Ugh. FML =(
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X