The Cell Phone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cell Phone Thread

I've searched and the only phone related threads I found were phone-help ones and the favorite app thread. So, let this be whatever it becomes, but hopefully it can be a thread for new phone info, giving reviews for phones, getting phone help and anything else phone related.

Now, onto the reason I started this. I usually keep up on technology, not necessarily owning it, but knowing about it. Cell phones however, not my specialty, which is odd because it is probably the most popular tech out there. The phone I have currently is from 2007- I think- it's been so long that I don't even remember, it could and probably is older than that. Basically it's a dinosaur in the phone world.

I don't really think I need a smart phone at this time. I know they will soon take over the world, but right now I'm just not interested in one. I have AT&T and through some research (no idea how in depth it was, like I said, I'm a n00b when it comes to cells) the best I've found for messaging phones are the Pantech Laser and the Samsung Flight II. I went to the store and tried both. I liked the keyboard on the Flight a little better than the Laser, but I liked pretty much everything about the laser better.

Now comes the reviews. I've tried going to phonescoop like six times, and each time it starts to time out before I get very far into the site. So, I've gone to Cnet. The Laser got good editor reviews, but horrible user reviews, mostly dealing with terrible battery life and charge time, and also problems with over heating. The Flight II got mediocre reviews from the editor and user (editor was worse than the Laser, user was a little better).

Anyone own either of these that could tell me about them? Or, anyone know of any better messaging phones? This will have nothing to do with business, basically just personal use for texting and tFacebook (does that count towards data, or is it free when accessing off the phone?). Again, I have AT&T and would prefer one with a slide out keyboard, or just an external keyboard. My giant hands would probably not handle a touchscreen keyboard very well. I'd like to try to keep it under $200. I don't want to start a new contract so I won't be buying through AT&T, I'm just planning on transferring the SIM card.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Re: The Cell Phone Thread

www.howardforums.com is a good resource for phones as well. that is where i have gone to research phones in the past.
    Landcows Fan

Minnesota State University Class of 2004

Edgar

Comment

I can tell you this, avoid Samsung phones like the plague if you can. (especially if you ever go to Smartphones) There are way better companies to deal with. Beyond that I cannot help you I have an HTC Evo so I am all smartphone all the time
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Right now I have a Casio gZone Brigade (one of the "tough" phones that are designed to be dropped, waterproof, etc.) I wouldn't recommend it. I've been getting really bad call quality lately, and the software is buggy as hell. I've had it crash after sending a text multiple times, and went through a period where I was getting double texts (but that seems to have fixed itself.) Pretty sure it's the phone, since Verizon has been good to me otherwise.

I've heard mixed reviews on LG's. Had an enV2 for a while and it got the job done, with a few quirks.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I can tell you this, avoid Samsung phones like the plague if you can. (especially if you ever go to Smartphones) There are way better companies to deal with. Beyond that I cannot help you I have an HTC Evo so I am all smartphone all the time
          Don't know what issues you've had with Samsung, but I've had a Captivate for over a year and I love it. I've rooted it and installed the Cognition RAM and have no problems. YMMV of course.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            Right now I have a Casio gZone Brigade (one of the "tough" phones that are designed to be dropped, waterproof, etc.) I wouldn't recommend it. I've been getting really bad call quality lately, and the software is buggy as hell. I've had it crash after sending a text multiple times, and went through a period where I was getting double texts (but that seems to have fixed itself.) Pretty sure it's the phone, since Verizon has been good to me otherwise.

I've heard mixed reviews on LG's. Had an enV2 for a while and it got the job done, with a few quirks.
            I had the Motorola Adventure, which was supposed to be another "tough" phone. I broke it before the end of my new every two with verizon. My LG that I had before that was more rugged. Must be something about the Verizon tough phones that they have to suck.

I have never had any major problems with LG phones. My wife always had good luck w/ Samsungs, until the Intensity 2, which we both have and both hate.
            Landcows Fan

Minnesota State University Class of 2004

Edgar

Comment

They still make non-smart phones?
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                Don't know what issues you've had with Samsung, but I've had a Captivate for over a year and I love it. I've rooted it and installed the Cognition RAM and have no problems. YMMV of course.
                It wasnt me, it is more what I read from people who had them. You rooting it also basically makes it into a much better phone so it kinda voids your argument (Samsung Android phones seem to get the worst of the updates unless rooted)
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

One thing I've noticed about Smart Phones, they same to be in their owners hands all the time. They never put them down and are always looking at them. How do you get anything done?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    One thing I've noticed about Smart Phones, they same to be in their owners hands all the time. They never put them down and are always looking at them. How do you get anything done?
                    I don't think I could get anything done without it. Do you know how handy it is when I'm outside working on an engine at a customer site and I need to get online to check on something and I can just fire up my wireless router on my phone instead of going off in search of somewhere with wireless I can use?
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I don't think I could get anything done without it. Do you know how handy it is when I'm outside working on an engine at a customer site and I need to get online to check on something and I can just fire up my wireless router on my phone instead of going off in search of somewhere with wireless I can use?
                      I can understand that, I know electronics tech that do the same thing, sometimes they need some software to correct a problem, they can get it easily. On the other hand most folks aren't doing that.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

After some more research, I'm leaning towards the Samsung Strive. I would like a horizontal slider, but it seems like the Strive has better ratings than all the other horizontal sliders I was looking at.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Didn't want to get an iPhone like everyone else, so went with a droid--the motorola backflip

anyone else have it?

Comment

Quick question, hopefully someone will answer this before the night is over.

So I decided on the LG Xenon, got it from a guy on Ebay. It came on Friday, I tried to charge it, but it wouldn't charge. I call the guy, and he says it's probably the charger and sends me a new one right away. I found a Blackberry charger that matched the same port of the LG charger and tried it, but that also didn't work. I'm guessing that when the new charger arrives tomorrow that it will also not work.

So now for the question:
                            Is it possible for a battery to be defective and not charge, or is this a problem with the phone itself? I want to be able to tell the guy tomorrow if he needs to just send a battery or if he should just ship out a whole new phone.

Also, I should add that he tests these phones before he sends them out, but he made it sound like he only tests the phone, so I suppose there is a chance it's a defective charger or battery, but it seems weird a battery would be completely dead and unable to charge.
                            Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 07-18-2011, 07:18 PM.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              Quick question, hopefully someone will answer this before the night is over.

So I decided on the LG Xenon, got it from a guy on Ebay. It came on Friday, I tried to charge it, but it wouldn't charge. I call the guy, and he says it's probably the charger and sends me a new one right away. I found a Blackberry charger that matched the same port of the LG charger and tried it, but that also didn't work. I'm guessing that when the new charger arrives tomorrow that it will also not work.

So now for the question:
                              Is it possible for a battery to be defective and not charge, or is this a problem with the phone itself? I want to be able to tell the guy tomorrow if he needs to just send a battery or if he should just ship out a whole new phone.

Also, I should add that he tests these phones before he sends them out, but he made it sound like he only tests the phone, so I suppose there is a chance it's a defective charger or battery, but it seems weird a battery would be completely dead and unable to charge.
                              Is it the micro/mini usb style port on the phone? I had a BB before that had to be replaced by VZW because the port got bent or something on the phone and wouldn't charge. Could be the case here I suppose if it isn't the battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X