The Cell Phone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Are phones forever, or is there a natural successor tech that will replace them? (Please don't say implants. I am too old and have read too much SciFi to believe it is a good thing.)
    Implants have been around for years.

Oh. Nevermind
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The Cell Phone Thread

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      So.....like The Matrix
      Yeah but without that icky belly button squid jesus christ now i'm gonna have those nightmares again.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Revived!

Upgraded from Galaxy S6 Edge to Galaxy S8+.

Other than the time sink of setting all my apps back up, I love getting new phones.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I'm due for a new phone come November. I don't think I'm getting the latest and greatest this time. Instead the phone will likely be the iPhone 7 or 6s. I'm also switching carrier. Suck it, Sprint.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I'm due for a new phone come November. I don't think I'm getting the latest and greatest this time. Instead the phone will likely be the iPhone 7 or 6s. I'm also switching carrier. Suck it, Sprint.
            I love my Samsung S7 and it hasn't blowed up yet.

But it's also the very first smart phone I ever owned.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I love my Samsung S7 and it hasn't blowed up yet.

But it's also the very first smart phone I ever owned.
              I'm just looking at the prices of these phones. The advances from year to year are nice, but the latest-and-greatest just aren't worth the marginal price increases at the moment. Also, there's generally a huge discount on the older model phones, so I'll take it. Add in some other expenses on my horizon, and I could do with saving the cash at the moment.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

mookie has 3 phones on him at all times. still carry the us # cause mookie may move back one day and want to make sure he has a 617 area code but didn't upgrade it - it's an iphone 5c
                has a local ku # and bought a cheap samsung something or other cause it was cheap
                then has a uk # for work on an iphone 7. but again just work and honestly don't even think mookie can download anything for it.

comes down to being able to use wifi for facetime or whatsapp calls. mookie give a local wireless co 5kd a month for a couple gigs and minutes, but uses wifi and ends up having time left over as he only has to take calls from the ku bossman. good thing mookie wears a jacket to keep these things in the pockets there!!
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Probably going to need to upgrade soon -- my Samsung Galaxy 5 is starting to fritz a little. Am looking at the Galaxy 7 as well, though I'll be staying on Sprint for the time being. Don't have any service or CS issues. TCBG has the LG G5 which he really likes. I love my samsung, but the bloatware kinda sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                    Probably going to need to upgrade soon -- my Samsung Galaxy 5 is starting to fritz a little. Am looking at the Galaxy 7 as well, though I'll be staying on Sprint for the time being. Don't have any service or CS issues. TCBG has the LG G5 which he really likes. I love my samsung, but the bloatware kinda sucks.
                    I noticed on the 8+ at least, I've been able to uninstall any app I wanted. Not just disable like in the past.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      I noticed on the 8+ at least, I've been able to uninstall any app I wanted. Not just disable like in the past.
                      I didn't know this was ever any different but the first thing I did with my S7 was uninstall all the prole sh-t they pre-loaded it with (Amazon, Facebook, NFL Mobile, all the music crap, all the shopping crap except the App Store). Took all of about half an hour and I had a virtually virgin device. The Verizon stuff and the Samsung product info stuff were the exceptions and honestly I wouldn't want to uninstall that for fear of losing something I couldn't figure out how to replace.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 09-08-2017, 12:36 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Picked up the LG V20 yesterday. Offers things that are important to me (good camera and good audio output) and costs 10$/month (270$ if I buy it outright). Just starting to get it set up with the stuff I use and getting the stuff I don't off.

Comment

Old phone died over the weekend. T-Mobile overnighted me a new one, free.

/flipphoneforlife
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I have no idea where the tech will go.

However, I would expect that the phone with cell tech as we know it will eventually wither away in favor of some sort of cell/Wi-Fi LAN hybrid. There will be no voice-only phones and all calls will have video components and only by selecting an option could a person involved go voice-only. I would expect the devices to contain more and more flexible materials so that like, certain prototype display materials we have now, the entire device could be rolled up or folded up so that something the size of a tablet could take up the space of the average current smart phone. The circuitry will likely require such small draws on the power supply that batteries will have less stress put on them.

There may even be something like the current Google Glasses, wearable tech that requires no hands. Or some sort of projected VR display that appears a few fee in front of the user, and can only be viewed by that person wearing the glasses tuned to the correct frequency of the display, allowing for manually manipulation of the objects seen a la the Minority Report movie.

Implants would only be for the gung ho sorts, like a very select group of the tech innovators of today have done, and a foolish option regardless, because something more advanced always comes along and it'll be too expensive to swap out implanted components. Who wants to involve a surgeon in order to upgrade your comm device?
                            Or heck, could you imagine the surgery backlogs those guys would have if it was the thing to always get the next latest and greatest phone whenever they dropped a newer version of an implated phone?? There's people already waiting around Best Buy know trying to get their hands on the newest iPhone, and they can't release those phones untll Friday.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

My 2+ yr old Galaxy S6 has developed bulging battery syndrome and I guess it's time for a new phone (S8).

What causes a battery to bloat?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                My 2+ yr old Galaxy S6 has developed bulging battery syndrome and I guess it's time for a new phone (S8).

What causes a battery to bloat?
                                That's what killed my HTC One.

Believe excess heat generated is the main culprit. If you use an Otterbox like I do that can't help.

My Note 4 is stalwart, but is starting to show its age. Nothing out there really inspiring me to drop $600+, though.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X