Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Illinois plans for new Ice Arena in Research Park

Ice rink plan in UI Research Park:

"The expansion area also includes a site where Fox and others would like to develop a new $15 million ice arena east of the I Hotel and Conference Center, but that wasn't the driving force for the land transaction, officials said. Fox said they are still trying to put together financing for the 100,000-square-foot ice arena, which would contain two sheets of ice."

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/pol...arch-park.html

Other posts on Illinois Hockey:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=169&f=2619&t=7543612

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ad.php?t=15379

If Illinois makes the jump it could possibly turn a profit with hockey as the club team gets 4-digit size crowds for games and they desperately need a another sheet (or two) of ice in the area to cover the demand from an outdated facility.

Re: University of Illinois plans for new Ice Arena in Research Park

If I'm not mistaken, UofI has an extremely loyal following and draws 1000+ a game. They are also a fairly successful program in the club hockey ranks.

Comment

Yes they are very successful winning the ACHA National Championship in 2005 and 2008 along with runner-up in 2009. As for attendance I believe they do get big crowds but I do not know the figures.

Comment

Illinois would be the logical choice for the next B1G school to go varsity. As mentioned, the Illini have a large, loyal fan base just as Penn State does. Illinois is a hockey hot bed and they'd have no problem recruiting.
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

100,000-square-foot ice arena, which would contain two sheets of ice.
          Boy, that doesn't sound like much of a competition arena to me (especially for D-I. high school or club? Maybe). Consider that Bemidji State's Sanford Center is 185,000 square ft (including the convention center side). That building only has one sheet of ice and 4,373 seats. Amsoil Arena, UMD's new building with no convention center space is 196,000 square ft (again, one sheet of ice but 6,000 seats). I just can't help but think that a 100,000 sq. ft. two sheeter is nothing more than a modern practice rink with some temporary bleachers. Certainly something that would be valuable for the Illini if they started a Varsity program, but not great for a game venu. To me, the future of Illinois hockey still hinges on their plans to replace or renovate Assembly Hall.
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

If it's two sheets, then it does sound small for the size. I'm pretty sure the BEC is over 100k sqft and that's just one olympic size rink and seating for 3800.

Moose is likely right.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
              Illinois would be the logical choice for the next B1G school to go varsity. As mentioned, the Illini have a large, loyal fan base just as Penn State does. Illinois is a hockey hot bed and they'd have no problem recruiting.
              I never looked at Illinois as a hockey hotbed like the state of Minnesota. If PSU is smart they will recruit Minnesota because if you don't have a Minnesotan on your roster the likelyhood of winning a national title goes down.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                Boy, that doesn't sound like much of a competition arena to me (especially for D-I. ....
                Also consider that RIT is budgeting $30 million for an arena with 1 sheet to seat between 4000 - 6000. $15 million doesn't sound like a budget for a D-I (not to mention Big N) competition arena.
                -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                  Also consider that RIT is budgeting $30 million for an arena with 1 sheet to seat between 4000 - 6000. $15 million doesn't sound like a budget for a D-I (not to mention Big N) competition arena.
                  $30 mil even sounds a bit low (but in the AHA, it's likely to be one of the nicer buildings). Amsoil was $80 million and the Sanford Center was $50 mil. And those buildings benefited from the cheap prices of the 2009 construction season. Had they been built in 2007 or 2008 they would have cost at least 10% more on steel alone.
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Yeah, the numbers are way too low. Installment of a second sheet of ice for Anoka Ice Arena in 1986 or so cost $8M alone.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      I never looked at Illinois as a hockey hotbed like the state of Minnesota. If PSU is smart they will recruit Minnesota because if you don't have a Minnesotan on your roster the likelyhood of winning a national title goes down.

Illinois has over 25,000 members with USA Hockey....I think they might find a player or two.

Comment

If Illinois makes the jump, which I don't believe they ever will, I don't think their programs will be profitable. It is very difficult to turn a profit on college hockey because of the costs. If I recall correctly, of all the Big 10 schools, only Minnesota was profitable last year. And that's because Minnesota has far and away the best TV contract in the country.

Attendance is nice, but that isn't where the big $$ is. Mariucci has a rather small seating capacity compared to other venues, yet the Gophers are far and away the highest earning college program in the country. The Big 10 TV contract will help as the schools will share that revenue, but do you think there will be additional Illinois games televised? Statewide? What type of TV contract could they muster?

If Illinois adds a men's team, they will need to add a woman's team (in some sport). That, combined with the fact that it is so difficult to make a college hockey program profitable, leads me to believe we won't see another Big 10 hockey program for quite a while (unless Notre Dame decides to join, which I doubt).

If Illinois does make the jump, I think that would be great for college hockey, but I just don't see it happening.
                        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post

Good advice, but I'd add that having too many Minnesotans on your roster can be just as bad as not having any as the doosh-itis* level can reach a tipping point leading to a point of diminishing and then negative returns.

* Big brother made me spell it that way.

Comment

$30 mil even sounds a bit low (but in the AHA, it's likely to be one of the nicer buildings). Amsoil was $80 million and the Sanford Center was $50 mil. And those buildings benefited from the cheap prices of the 2009 construction season. Had they been built in 2007 or 2008 they would have cost at least 10% more on steel alone.
                            I hear you. One of the models they are using is Goggin at Miami, which was about $35 million and has two sheets. RIT has a way of getting things done when it comes to buildings, so I am sure it will be a good arena. We've already got a donation of a $1 million video scoreboard (HD, I believe) ... don't know if that would count as part of the $30 million. The deal is that $15 million has to come from donations and RIT will put in the other $15 million (with a business plan that will somehow recoup that ... RIT also has a knack for not throwing money away). The current arena will remain, so we will actually have two sheets on campus.

(Maybe private $$ go farther than government $$ ????)
                            -M

Comment

Didn't Crookston just build a 870,000 sqft building with 3 sheets for around 15 million, seating for 1200 on the main rink

Comment

Working...
                              X