Nescac 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nescac 2011-2012

I guess the big question was would the Zamboni work, it being Friday the 13th and all, but she was fired up resurfacing the ice when I wandered into Orr last evening. Always good to visit a bit before gametime and both teams had good groups of supporters on hand.
    The Panthers had a good chance before I was in my seat and were swarming around Amherst goalie Murphy in the early in the 1st. Their efforts yielded back to back powerplay chances midway in the frame. They scored on a deflection when Woodward, working on the left wing centered to Bielawski on the blueline. Her drive was deftly redirected by Waters, parked at the top of the crease, with goalie Murphy moving to the left, and was inside the stickside post. The score animated the Lord Jeffs and play swung in their favor. They evened things when Lloyd took a shot from the point which was blocked in the high slot; she grabbed the puck and moved on her forehand low into the left circle. Midd goalie Jones reacted to her short stickside post, only to see Lloyd's shot deflected to her left by a well covered Doyen from the top of the crease.
    The 2nd saw Amherst maintain their edge in territorial play and cash in twice to take what proved to be the game winning lead. Swiontowski and Fisher teamed up to make a play through the neutral zone, with a pass off the right boards and in deep into the right corner. Fisher lofted a pass toward the net and Swiontowski got it home. There was an official conference before it was ruled a good goal (hard to say in real time, and I did not get to see the play on tape after the game), although goalie Jones was clearly unhappy with the call. Lloyd scored the decisive 3rd goal after serving a hooking penalty. She came out of the box and jumped into an Amherst rush, headed for the crease and was tripped. The powerplay saw Swiontowski work the puck from the left half boards out to Salerno, mid-ice on the blueline. Lloyd was sliding low on the right and Salerno's feed for Lloyd's lefty one-timer from the top of the faceoff circle produced a rocket that beat Jones up on the short gloveside.
    The 3rd saw Middlebury battle back. A D zone turnover early in the period was grabbed by Melberg who came across the crease on her forehand and wristed one off the right pipe, she then fed the puck from right of the net behind Murphy back through the crease, but no Panther was able to ram it home. The Panthers continued pressure much of the 3rd, but it was not until late that they drew within one. Amherst was changing and a wing was late getting out, Fluke was working in low off the gloveside post and found Melberg stepping out from the off side into open space at the top of the crease; her one timer beat Murphy up stickside. Things became even tighter with under 2 minutes left and Lloyd called for tripping as the Panthers jammed the crease. Midd controlled the faceoff and got Jones off for the 6th attacker. They peppering Murphy and buzzing about the crease until, with :15 to go Bielawski was called for roughing; the ensuing faceoff was in the Midd D zone and time expired for the 3-2 Amherst win.
    Round 2 at 3 at Orr! An Amherst win gives them a commanding 2 game lead and the tie breaker (against Midd) in the NESCAC regular season race. Middlebury's play in coming back in the 3rd must have given them some confidence. Should be a good one.
    Last edited by obserbear; 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM. Reason: 22/23 Maggie confusion

Comment

Amherst and Middlebury end the weekend where they began tied atop the conference now both at 7-1. Will one of them get nicked down the stretch or does it come down to a 15-1 tie and a coin toss for the right to host the NESCAC finals? Great crowd on hand for the game with numerous parents and a lot of support by former players on both sides (although I have to say that Midd had a couple of babies along and the Goal Gods love babies and all 3 Midd goals were scored at the end the babies were at...).
      Saturday was sort of a mirror image of Friday's game, this time Midd jumped ahead 3-1 and withstood Amherst's comeback attempt.
      The 1st saw the Panthers score a powerplay with Greer working on the left half boards, pass back to Styrbicki for a shot that got through to Murphy; she made the initial save but Downey was there to ram it home. Midd scored the only even strength goal of the game late in the 1st. Moreau and Fluke were working deep in the right corner, Melberg had sapce and was open in the high slot on her forehand, got the shot off and beat Murphy up stickside.
      The 2nd saw Lloyd score on Amherst's powerplay. Clegg and Salerno worked the puck down low to Lloyd; she was able to walk along the goalline toward the net and with decoys at the top of the crease she slipped a shot off goalie Jones' left pad and the post to make it a 2-1 game.
      Amherst took an unfortunate penalty as time expired in the 2nd and Midd cashed in what proved to be the gamewinner on the powerplay starting the 3rd. Greer again got the puck off the left boards to Styrbicki on the left point. She passed to an open Krakower for a nifty onetimer which beat Murphy up gloveside.
      Amherst answered with another powerplay goal. Fisher fought on the left half boards and got the puck to Salerno; her pass to Lloyd open inside the blueline with a good look at the net was true and Lloyd launched a rocket which handcuffed Jones and leaked into the net. The Panthers were floating a forward in center much of the 3rd but were never able to connect and put the Lord Jeffs away. Amherst had pressure much of the end of the period, but the Panther D and goalie Jones prevailed for the 3-2 win.
      Amherst now flies out west to play River Falls Wednesday and St. Thomas Thursday before returning home and welcoming Norwich on Tuesday the 24th.
      Middlebury hosts Bowdoin Friday and Saturday.
      There should be some shake up in the DIII rankings this week with Plattsburgh's success against RIT and River Falls loss to Lake Forest. Norwich back to #1? How about those Gusties?

Comment

Lots of non-conference action mid-week:
        tonight:
        New England College over Wesleyan
        Connecticut College over Plymouth State
        Bowdoin over Southern Maine
        Castleton over Williams
        Oswego over Hamilton
        Wednesday:
        Amherst over Wisconsin-River Falls
        Thursday:
        Amherst over St. Thomas

Comment

OMG Southern Maine 3 Bowdoin 3 final
          SOG 30-27 SoMe
          Congratulations to the Huskies on taking their first point from the Polar Bears going back as far as collegehockeystats.net has figures!!!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
            OMG Southern Maine 3 Bowdoin 3 final
            SOG 30-27 SoMe
            Congratulations to the Huskies on taking their first point from the Polar Bears going back as far as collegehockeystats.net has figures!!!
            Really perplexed on Bowdoin this year. Thought they were going to take another step forward but that hasn't seem to have happened.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Really perplexed on Bowdoin this year. Thought they were going to take another step forward but that hasn't seem to have happened.
              You think you are perplexed...
              Could be a long weekend at Kenyon for the Po Bears!!!

Comment

November 19, 2011 defined Bowdoin this year. It was the TSN turning point in a 7-0 loss to Platty where they inexplicably, quit on their goalie. To me, it was an opportunity for a turn around game, get things figured out in the dressing room, move forward or fade to black...the latter seems to be their vocation.

Still time to turn things around?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                  November 19, 2011 defined Bowdoin this year. It was the TSN turning point in a 7-0 loss to Platty where they inexplicably, quit on their goalie. To me, it was an opportunity for a turn around game, get things figured out in the dressing room, move forward or fade to black...the latter seems to be their vocation.

Still time to turn things around?
                  The last thing I hoped to be this season was an apologist for the Polar Bears. Three years ago Lozzi was NESCAC rookie of the year. Two years ago saw a class featuring Holtz and Tess-Wanat. Last season they got back to the NESCAC quarter finals. What has happened in Watson (which I doubt was built with less than success in mind)? I saw the Plattsburgh debacle and I would say lack of conditioning and possibly the success of the field hockey team played into the outcome. What will qualify as turning things around? The Polar Bears will make the eight team NESCAC playoffs. Will they play at home in the quarter final? Is that success? Get a point from Middlebury or Amherst? Is that success?
                  I dream in black and white, but the teams I am dreaming of are almost a decade old...

Comment

Here is the way things stand in the NESCAC with 5 weekends of regular season action left:

2011-12 Women's Ice Hockey Standings
                    Conference Overall
                    GP Record Win % GF GA GP Record Win % GF GA
                    1 Amherst 8 7-1-0 0.875 33 8 14 11-3-0 0.786 52 17
                    Middlebury 8 7-1-0 0.875 35 10 12 9-1-2 0.833 43 14
                    3 Bowdoin 6 4-2-0 0.667 18 11 14 6-5-3 0.536 39 37
                    4 Hamilton 6 3-3-0 0.500 18 18 12 6-6-0 0.500 39 35
                    Williams 6 3-3-0 0.500 17 18 14 7-7-0 0.500 44 37
                    6 Connecticut College 8 3-4-1 0.438 21 22 13 6-5-2 0.538 33 31
                    7 Trinity 6 2-4-0 0.333 10 15 13 6-7-0 0.462 28 31
                    8 Colby 8 1-6-1 0.188 7 27 14 4-8-2 0.357 17 34
                    9 Wesleyan 8 1-7-0 0.125 13 43 16 2-14-0 0.125 24 66
                    note that Bowdoin, Hamilton, Williams and Trinity have currently played 2 fewer conference games (sorry the pasted standing came out so poorly)

Four conference series this weekend:

Middlebury sweeps Bowdoin-Polar Bears continue erratic play while the Panthers continue to improve

Conn College sweeps Wesleyan-Cardinals are stiffer competittion this season, but Camels need to step up at home

Williams sweeps Colby-great Colby D and goal play not enough to win on the road against high powered Eph offense

Hamilton takes 3 at Trinity-the Continentals have been all over the place and Bantam goal tneding is top notch

Comment

I dream in black and white, but the teams I am dreaming of are almost a decade old...
                      Michelle Amidon leaving USA Hockey anytime soon to return and bring the Polar Bears back to prominence?

Those were some very good Bowdoin teams.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Time for some weekend predictions!

Hamilton sweeps Trinity
                        Midd sweeps da bears
                        conn sweeps williams
                        colby splits with williams

Comment

Midd sweeps Bowdoin

Trinity Hamilton split

Conn College takes two from Wessleyan

Williams Colby split

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            Michelle Amidon leaving USA Hockey anytime soon to return and bring the Polar Bears back to prominence?

Those were some very good Bowdoin teams.
                            It was a different era, but McKissock in goal with Chessie, Muir, (now Coach) O'Neil and Anderson, amoung others; went to the first two DIII championships in Pine Valley!

Comment

It was a different era, but McKissock in goal with Chessie, Muir, (now Coach) O'Neil and Anderson, amoung others; went to the first two DIII championships in Pine Valley!
                              I remember them well..

P&G10 was just a young pup then
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Congratulations to the Lord Jeffs for taking care of business out west!!!
                                Kenyon or Bust!
                                Hope to see you all there this evening!
                                GO U BEARS!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X