X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nescac 2011-2012

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    Four NESCAC series on tap for this weekend:

Middlebury at Hamilton-big edge to Panthers in goal and team D; Continental need to stay out of the box and avoid giving Midd those PP chances; Midd gets the sweep (although playing on much smaller ice at Russell Sage could be a challenge)
    Hamilton takes the first one 2-1 in OT with 2 breakaway goals. One shortie by Zimmerman in the 3rd when a PP shot shanked off her shinguards, and with 10 seconds left, Hamilton puts away the gamewinner on another breakaway. Team D and the PP wasn't working for Midd (bus legs?). Jones strong in net, but you can't withstand 5 breakaways without a little bleeding, and Hazlett shut the door.
    "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
    -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

The Editor and I are preparing to host the Brewster Academy Wildcats hockey team for dinner this evening following their game at Choate, but I was able to take a break last night and sneak up I-95 to take in the Lord Jeffs visit to Conn College. Amherst had just played 5 tense, nailbiter games (Midd twice, River Falls, St. Thomas and Norwich) and I am sure would have welcomed a nice easy walkover kind of game, but the Camels were just not that accomodating. As word that Hamilton had tied Midd at 1 in 3rd period action out in Clinton floated through the Amherst cheering section the Camels were making things tight in New London.
      Amherst took an early lead on a powerplay goal. Swiontkowski worked the puck back to Salerno at left point and she floated center blueline and dropped a pass to the right; Lloyd's drive from the top edge of the circle was true and beat Leichliter low stickside (I realize the collegehockeystats box gives Fisher an assist [not to mention 3rd star], rather than Salerno, but I guess it is easy to confuse 9 with 4, but to do it twice, anyway???). The Camels responded quickly to tie. Dumont was working hard on the boards in back of Amherst goalie Russell, took the puck from the normally steady Lord Jeff D and fed Farrell, open at the top of the crease; Farrell's nifty backhand was elevated and beat Russell to the gloveside evening the score at 1. Amherst regained the lead with another powerplay goal by Lloyd. Swiontkowski again found Salerno top center on the blueline; Salerno's drive was low and on net; Leichliter made the stop, Fisher tried to ram it home, but the rebound found Lloyd streaking in through the right circle for the net and her shot found the twine low to the goalie's stickside.
      The 2nd saw Amherst cash in one of those "pretty" goals. The Lord Jeffs had killed a penalty, Oppermann left the box and was in one bench door as Swiontkowski exited the other, behind the Conn play, Babineau had broken up ice, passed to McInnis and her pass to Swiontkowski found her in mid stride; Swiontkowski turned the lone D down the left wing, held her edge to the top of the crease and with the D drapped on her back was able to feint gloveside and bring the puck back across inside the stickside post.
      The Camels came back to make things close early in the 3rd. The Conn attack got the puck to the net and Russell made a save on Corbett, the puck came loose to an uncovered Dumnot and her backhand into the open net, with Russell down, made it a 3-2 game. The Camels were able to get the goalie out for an extra attacker as the game wound down, but were not able to notch the equalizer.
      There was excitment amoung the Amherst faithful as news of Midd and Hamilton heading to OT passed around and some vague disbelief at the final from Russell Sage. Hard to imagine after the hard fought 3-2 times two split with the Panthers that the NESCAC finals could so quickly be headed back to Orr (without that silly coin toss). Still lots of action left, but clearly advantage Lord Jeffs at this point.
      Last edited by obserbear; 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM. Reason: scoring change

Comment

Three non-conference games tonight:

Holy Cross over Colby-the White Mules go in with an 8 game winless streak and have scored only 6 goals in those 8 games; Colby has solid goaltending and plays good defensive hockey; Holy Cross is riding a 5 game win streak in the ECAC-East

RIT over Hamilton-Tigers must beware the hot goalie, just ask the Panthers; Hazlett went 66/69 (.956) as the Continentals ambushed Midd at Russell Sage this past weekend

Trinity over Salve Regina-the Bantams have won 7 straight and 9 of 10 since the break in climbing into solid contension for 3rd in the NESCAC; Pujol has gone an unconsious 120/122 (.983) in her last 5 outings and is 169/175 since the break

Comment

February has arrived and things are getting interesting in the NESCAC. There are 3 weekends of action left and the only sure thing is Colby and Wesleyan are in a duel for the 8th playoff spot (they face each other next weekend in Middletown-note Canadian usage of "next"). Amherst has 2 games in hand and 1 less loss than Middlebury in their now annual race with the Panthers for the regular season title. The Lord Jeffs control their own fate and can earn the title despite the Panthers if they win out (2@Williams, 2 against the resurgent Trinity@home and 2@Bowdoin to close out the season). Middlebury plays Conn this weekend in Kenyon and then has a home and home series with Williams (before facing non-conference action with Norwich and Plattsburgh to close out their season). The middle of the pack is a log jam with Bowdoin and Trinity at 6-4, Williams at 5-5, Conn at 5-6-1 and Hamilton at 4-6. It looks like whomever gets to 9-7 may claim 3rd place, with the final home quarter-final going down to some type of tie breaker (in NESCAC that will be # of wins, then head to head, then record against the 1st place team, then 2nd place, 3rd place on down the line).

Trinity@Bowdoin-I dream in Black and White and I really want a Polar Bear sweep, however the Bantams are on fire; Pujol has been goal lights out (.983 or 120/122 in her last 5 starts) and looking at the box of Trinity's Tuesday win over Salve I saw a familiar name with 2 goals; the Polar Bears played Midd real tough at Kenyon and put Williams away, but have averaged 2.6 goals/game in their 10 2nd half of the season contests; Pujol has 3 straight shutouts and has allowed a mere 2 goals in her last 5 games; Bowdoin sweep!

Conn College@Middlebury-the Camels hung with Amherst, but lost twice (not unlike the Polar Bear experience in Middlebury); the Panthers have to win out and hope someone dings Amherst for them; I had predicted big things for Conn this season, but it is tough to imagine them finishing better than 7-8-1; Panther sweep

Amherst@Williams-one of the blood feud NESCAC rivalries, but the Lord Jeffs are rolling and I think they roll back down the Mohawk Trail with a sweep

Hamilton@Wesleyan-the Continentals have played well in their last 3, going 1-2 against Midd and RIT, but at 4-6 in conference they really need to start banking some Ws; they have the Polar Bears next weekend and travel to Waterville to close the season; their season is riding on a sweep of the Cardinals.

Earlier in the season (I guess like last weekend) I was thinking I would head up to Midd Friday and come back via Williamstown, but I had one of those Black and White dreams and hear the music of the wind in the Pines, so it is Watson or bust for me on Friday. GO U BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Trinity @ Bowdoin, I'm thinking a split here, as has been a league trend this year, for "the teams in the middle."

Conn @ Midd, if it were in New London, I'd give Midd 3 points, but on the big ice, I'm thinking sweep for the home team.

Amherst @ Williams, in this league, it's not easy to rule out a Colby upset over Amherst or a Hamilton upset over Midd, but obserB, you're right, this is blood sport. Don't see Amherst giving up a point here. Sweep for the visiting Jeffs.

Wishing a good weekend for all!

Comment

The Polar Bears finally put it all together and played the kind of game I have had those Balck and White dreams about!!!
              Bowdoin dominated all phases and Connolly outplayed Trinity's Pujol for the 5-0 shutout win.
              GO U BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

http://d3hockey.com/seasons/women/20...20120203gp4i5f

Write up of last night's play at Watson from d3hockey.com

Really nice dangle on the Tess-Wanat breakaway!!! Show the forehand and go backhand from in close and able to elevate. Tess-Wanat and Holtz have great chemistry and have played together long enough to just know where things should go.
                Balanced team effort by the Polar Bears with contributions from many players.
                Connolly was strong in net for the Polar Bears early on when a Bantam score could have altered the flow of things. Pujol shows she is mortal after all.
                Looks like the Polar Bears and Continentals are answering the call and stepping up at the right time and grabbing those 3rd and 4th NESCAC home quarter-final spots.
                GO U BEARS!!!!

Comment

2011-12 Women's Ice Hockey Standings
                  Conference Overall
                  GP Record Win % GF GA GP Record Win % GF GA
                  1 Amherst 12 11-1-0 0.917 44 12 20 17-3-0 0.850 67 22
                  2 Middlebury 14 12-2-0 0.857 53 18 19 15-2-2 0.842 65 24
                  3 Bowdoin 12 8-4-0 0.667 38 20 20 10-7-3 0.575 59 46
                  4 Trinity 12 6-6-0 0.500 23 26 20 11-9-0 0.550 44 44
                  5 Hamilton 12 5-7-0 0.417 25 31 19 8-11-0 0.421 47 51
                  Williams 12 5-7-0 0.417 25 34 20 9-11-0 0.450 52 53
                  7 Connecticut College 14 5-8-1 0.393 33 39 19 8-9-2 0.474 45 48
                  8 Wesleyan 12 2-10-0 0.167 19 53 20 3-17-0 0.150 30 76
                  9 Colby 12 1-10-1 0.125 10 37 19 4-13-2 0.263 20 48

Awesome weekend at Watson!!! Polar Bears move to 8-4 and head out to Russell Sage with a bit of breathing room on, well, just about everyone, in the race for 3rd seed in the NESCAC playoffs!
                  Even I had some doubts when the score at the end of the 1st was 2-0 Bantams in this afternoon's contest. Bowdoin stormed back with 5 unanswered goals to rout Trinity 5-2. The Bantams came out strong and jumped ahead when Gacicia and Robinson peppered the net, Kleidon grabbed a loose puck and came out from Lessard's gloveside and beat her with a backhand. They extended the lead to 2-0 when goalie Pujol
                  hit Bauer with a pass breaking out of the defensive zone; she lugged the puck down left wing to the dot and beat Lessard with a blast up blockerside.
                  Lessard made a key save around 2 minutes of the 2nd when Di Dia got the puck to Weiner walking in open in the slot; Lessard 's blocker save kept things at 2-0. The Polar Bear forecheck started paying dividends when Ludy found the net with assists to Lozzi and Finnerty. The Polar Bears kept grinding and Lozzi evened the score following a faceoff to Pujol's right; assists went to Merrill and Sweet. The 3rd goal of the period saw Holtz steal the puck in the right corner, walk in along the goal line and feed MacNeil on the doorstep; MacNeil's shot was saved, but she flipped in her own rebound up stickside.
                  Things were all Polar Bears in the 3rd. Tess-Wanat got in for a shot from the right circle, MacNeil was at the top of the crease and had a poke at the rebound, it went back to Tess-Wanat and she put it home up stickside. Maxwell replaced Pujol in net for Trinity. The final Bowdoin goal was off a nice play by Finnerty to keep the puck inside the Polar bear zone; she walk into the high slot and her shot rebounded to MacNeil who put it back into the net under Maxwell.
                  It all shows you have to believe in those Black and White dreams
                  GO U BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So Wesleyan beats Hamilton 4-0 to jump into 8th place and earn what maybe their first appearance in the NESCAC playoffs and nobody has anything to say about it???????

Comment

Hats off to the Wesleyan Goalie, she played an incredible game, she gave the team the inspiration they needed and kept the puck out of the net.

I could give you something about bus legs etc, but simply put the Hamilton girls had 3 very high intensity games where they played some of the best hockey this season but could not put it together this weekend in CT. They were able to get the win on Friday, but it was not a pretty win.

Wesleyan put together some fast breaks, got the bounces on Saturday but the refs were all over them giving them 7 penalties. Despite this the goalie was outstanding turning back 37 shots, especially in the 3rd period where Hamilton put on a ton of pressure but could not get one by her.

This is the NESCAC and on any day any team can win, if you forget that you will get reminded sooner or later.

Comment

So Wesleyan beats Hamilton 4-0 to jump into 8th place and earn what maybe their first appearance in the NESCAC playoffs and nobody has anything to say about it???????
                        I guess that I should give it a thumbs up because I currently have a rooting interest in the Wesleyan women's team.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 77-22 View Post
                          Hats off to the Wesleyan Goalie, she played an incredible game, she gave the team the inspiration they needed and kept the puck out of the net.

I could give you something about bus legs etc, but simply put the Hamilton girls had 3 very high intensity games where they played some of the best hockey this season but could not put it together this weekend in CT. They were able to get the win on Friday, but it was not a pretty win.

Wesleyan put together some fast breaks, got the bounces on Saturday but the refs were all over them giving them 7 penalties. Despite this the goalie was outstanding turning back 37 shots, especially in the 3rd period where Hamilton put on a ton of pressure but could not get one by her.

This is the NESCAC and on any day any team can win, if you forget that you will get reminded sooner or later.
                          Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          I guess that I should give it a thumbs up because I currently have a rooting interest in the Wesleyan women's team.
                          Very happy to see the Wes team's hard work and gritty play be rewarded with a win. They've been in many games this year that could have gone either way, but went the other.

Agree that Saturday's game was a result of a high energy by the team as a whole, and an outstanding performance by the Wes goalie.

Worth noting: between Friday and Saturday's games, Ham 0-13 on the PP (including a 5 minute major Fri night), Wes 1/5, and Wes' EN goal on Saturday was SH 4 on 6 with the goalie pulled.

With Colby coming into town this weekend, it's too early to talk about who's going to the dance. But I do believe that Wes was in the tournament the first couple of years of the league.

Go Cards!

Comment

Originally posted by dontyelldad View Post
                            But I do believe that Wes was in the tournament the first couple of years of the league.
                            Apologies to the Cardinals! They did participate in the NESCAC playoffs, suffering quarter-final defeats in '01-'02 (7-1 loss @ Williams), '02-'03 (3-0 loss @ Williams) and '03-'04 (8-0 loss @ Williams).
                            One thing I have never understood about the women's hockey program at Wesleyan is if you look at the history on the walls of Kenyon Arena they played Middlebury in the AWCHA or ECAC tournaments back in the '90s, so how did their team take such a negative turn after '03-'04? It is not like they had no tradition of success in the sport.

Comment

Hard to say....but Wes isn't exactly a sports powerhouse, now are they? Last I checked, [with rare exception] they seem to be at or near the bottom in most every NESCAC sport...hockey is no exception to that rule.

Comment

You should check the NESCAC standings again...

Mens BBall #4
                                Womens BBall #6
                                Mens Hockey #6
                                Mens Soccer #2
                                Womens Soccer #5
                                Field Hockey #7

Not the top, but not the bottom anymore...

Comment

Working...
                                X