Nescac 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nescac 2011-2012

Getting ready for round 2 at Kenyon in a couple of hours. Last night was an interesting game of flow. Midd dominated the 1st and 2nd, failed to put the Polar Bears away and then saw a strong effort by Bowdoin in the 3rd cast the outcome into doubt. Shots for the first two periods were 26-9, but the Panthers were cling to a 1-0 lead at the close of the 2nd. Connolly was outstanding in goal for the Polar Bears and made the game a tight one. The Panthers broke through in the 2nd as a powerplay ended. Bielawski was working on the right wing half boards, got the puck to Melberg on right point. Her shot, with traffic at the top of the crease, was saved by Connolly, but Waters pounced on the rebound at the gloveside post and rammed the puck home. Bowdoin had an excellent chance as the 2nd ended when MacNeil exited the penalty box, took a pass at the blueline and broke in on Midd goalie Jones resulting in a Midd penalty. MacNeil then took a feed on the powerplay and saw her shot from in close left of the crease sail wide of open twine. The 3rd finally saw the Polar Bears start skating, maintain good spacing on the big Kenyon ice and begin to control some of the play. Bowdoin skates the Holtz,MacNeil,Tess-Wanat line on both special teams and they are on the ice a considerable amount of time, while Midd is running 9 or 10 forwards in their 2-3, constantly looking to pass and generating offense with speed rather than net presence. I had feared the Polar Bears fading in the 3rd with Midd having so controlled the 2nd, but Bowdoin rallied. They scored when Tang made a play skating from the Bowdoin D zone, through center and into the Midd zone. Assists on the goal went to Lozzi and Nardelli; Ludy beat Jones from the left circle with a shot up and in off the crossbar to tie things at 1-1. The Panthers were able to respond and net the gamewinner with 1st year Sullivan skating a couple of energetic shifts. She and Waters were working on the boards behind the Bowdoin goal. Waters controlled the puck behind goalie Connally to her gloveside and fed Sullivan who had come from behind the net to the corner of the crease stickside; with Connolly moving and Sullivan unchecked she was able to slide the puck in low for the 2-1 gamewinner.
    Rematch at 3 this afternoon.

Comment

Final score from Kenyon: Midd 3, Bowdoin 2. Actual score: Bowdoin 2, Middlebury 1, Referees 2. Absolutely disgraceful officiating. Is there something in the water in Vermont that gives the zebras Panther fever? Because this seems to be a pattern.
      Last edited by whalers97; 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Not too bad a drive back from Middlebury into the winter wonderland here on the coast in Connecticut. A bit icy coming down from the Snow Bowl into Hancock on 125, but I was home in about 4 hours.
        An interesting weekend of hockey. Bowdoin really elevated their game against Middlebury and that just makes it all the more difficult to understand their struggles so far this season.
        The Polar Bears were flying in the 1st, outshooting the Panthers 8-6. They got on the board when Finnerty brought the puck from behind Jones in the Midd net and beat her to the stickside post with the wrap around. Sweet and Lozzi credited with the assists. Bowdoin extended the lead midway in the 2nd with a powerplay goal. Fahey passed from mid-point to the left circle; Tess-Wanat made the play as Holtz slipped into space at the stickside top of the crease from where Holtz beat Jones 5 hole. The Panthers drew within 1 on a powerplay of their own a couple of minutes later. Styrbicki passed from left point to Krakower sliding lower from the right; she took the pass on her forehand (lefty shooter) and got off a slapshot which Downey redirected to the short stickside of Lessard just inside the post. The Panthers were really bringing pressure to bear on Bowdoin as the 3rd progressed, but it was not until mid period that they netted the equalizer. Downey broke in from center ice on an odd woman rush with a trailer; her shot handcuffed Lessard, she dug the rebound out from behind the Bowdoin goal and it came to Bourdeau at the left point; her low shot was tipped by Ugalde from the right, stickside of Lessard, and with the Bowdoin goalie low, the tip floated up and over her, landing in the twine. The call on Lozzi giving Midd its 5x3 powerplay chance late in the 3rd was iffy. The puck was in a scrum on the half boards directly across ice from where I was standing. Lozzi went in to help freezing the puck, there was typical contact and she was called for a trip (not checking, boarding or interference) when a Midd skater went to the ice. In any event the Panthers did not waste their chance. Bielawski controlled the puck at left point and passed to Styrbicki on her right; she hit Melberg in the right circle and Melberg's feed into Ugalde, who was moving down the slot to the top of the crease, was rammed home under Lessard for the gamewinner.
        This puts the Panthers at 9-1 in NESCAC play with Hamilton on the road, Conn College at home and the home and home games with Williams.
        The Polar Bears fall to 4-4 in conference but now play 6 (twice each with Williams, Trinity and a season ending visit by Amherst) of their remaining 8 games (trip to Hamilton) at Watson.
        Still lots of hockey before the playoff picture comes into focus.

Comment

Originally posted by whalers97 View Post
          Final score from Kenyon: Midd 3, Bowdoin 2. Actual score: Bowdoin 2, Middlebury 1, Referees 2. Absolutely disgraceful officiating. Is there something in the water in Vermont that gives the zebras Panther fever? Because this seems to be a pattern.
          Puhleez...the disgrace was the caterwauling from the Bowdoin fans on any penalty called against the bears...it started with the first body checking call Friday night ("Welcome to Kenyon!") and continued unabated right through the game end on Saturday -- not a call or missed call went un-catcalled. This seems a little disingenuous considering the 9 penalties taken at home by Bowdoin just Tuesday night against Southern Maine and their average of 5 penalties per game overall. Compare that to the Panthers 2.5 penalties per game, and the weekend's toll of 12 penalties for Bowdoin and 5 for Middlebury looks about right.

The difference between the two officiating crews should also be noted: Friday nite's gave out 5 pens total and Saturday's gave out 12 total. When Saturday's crew officiated at the Norwich/Bowdoin in Vermont back in December, they handed out 4 pens to Bowdoin and 6 to Norwich, so I am not sure what pattern you are seeing? Some refs call it tighter than others and they are consistent in that and players and coaches make adjustments or get burned.

Now, I will agree with Obserbear that the final penalty called against Bowdoin was a little iffy (it was called a "big girl" penalty where a larger defender gets dinged for any smaller player hitting the ice within arm's length of her), but Bowdoin's defense of clogging the net in front of their goaltender does lend itself to more fouls in a tightly contested space. The pattern is not a Vermont one. The pattern is that Bowdoin takes a lot of penalties (minimum of 2 to a maximum of 9) and Midd doesn't (minimum of 0 to a maximum of 5).
          "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
          -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by Phil D. Stands View Post
            Puhleez...the disgrace was the caterwauling from the Bowdoin fans on any penalty called against the bears...it started with the first body checking call Friday night ("Welcome to Kenyon!") and continued unabated right through the game end on Saturday -- not a call or missed call went un-catcalled. This seems a little disingenuous considering the 9 penalties taken at home by Bowdoin just Tuesday night against Southern Maine and their average of 5 penalties per game overall. Compare that to the Panthers 2.5 penalties per game, and the weekend's toll of 12 penalties for Bowdoin and 5 for Middlebury looks about right.

The difference between the two officiating crews should also be noted: Friday nite's gave out 5 pens total and Saturday's gave out 12 total. When Saturday's crew officiated at the Norwich/Bowdoin in Vermont back in December, they handed out 4 pens to Bowdoin and 6 to Norwich, so I am not sure what pattern you are seeing? Some refs call it tighter than others and they are consistent in that and players and coaches make adjustments or get burned.

Now, I will agree with Obserbear that the final penalty called against Bowdoin was a little iffy (it was called a "big girl" penalty where a larger defender gets dinged for any smaller player hitting the ice within arm's length of her), but Bowdoin's defense of clogging the net in front of their goaltender does lend itself to more fouls in a tightly contested space. The pattern is not a Vermont one. The pattern is that Bowdoin takes a lot of penalties (minimum of 2 to a maximum of 9) and Midd doesn't (minimum of 0 to a maximum of 5).
            Agreed with everything you said. Perhaps if the handfull of Bowdoin parents that chronically yell at the refs watch film of themselves, perhaps they will improve their behavior. Even the players would turn around and look at them.

I would agree that the final call was "iffy", BUT it was realized that without all of the screaming at the ref. Saying that, Bowdoin does seem to get some undisciplined penalties that will cost them games against strong teams. They need to get that in check to get better positioning for the NESCAC playoffs. If they play like they did against Middlebury, they can try to finish the season in a stronger fashion, than how they started this season. Good luck Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by whalers97 View Post
              I can't tell you if these calls were iffy or appropriate, but allow me to address the Panther fever that you suggest has afflicted the refs. If you look at the box scores of recent meaningful games at Kenyon you will see that Midd received more penalty minutes than their season long averages on multiple occasions. Just last year Amherst was down to Midd 4-1 in the NESCAC championship and almost got all the way back thanks to playing most of the last five minutes of the game on the power play. Four years ago the zebras handed Colby a 5-3 PP against Midd, at Kenyon, during the NESCAC semi-final game. I'm not saying that these penalties were or were not deserved, I'm merely suggesting that the fever you fear does not exist.

Comment

Amherst 1 - Norwich 0 after 2 at Orr.

Webcast available, follow the link here:

https://www.amherst.edu/athletics/te...2/0123_norwich

Update: Amherst 2- NU 0

... and that's final.
                Last edited by dontyelldad; 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The USCHO #1 Norwich Cadets paid a visit to Orr Arena and the #7 Lord Jeffs last evening for an exciting non-conference match-up. Amherst was completing a brutal 5 game stretch which included a split with arch rival Middlebury and road victories over Wisconsin-River Falls and St. Thomas and they saved the best for last. There was little of the air of anticipation that preceeded the RIT game, as the Tuesday eveing crowd filtered in slowly. The Zamboni fired up and it was all good. Norwich had one of its best chances of the eveing in the first minute. The puck was in the Amherst offensive zone and Fortier grabbed it at the blueline and lugged it down the left boards to the top of the circle and with a trailer to her right whistled a drive off the pipe. The Cadets continued to apply lots of pressure for the next 7 or 8 minutes. Amherst had a good chance at 12:25 of the 1st with a loose puck at the top of the crease, but could not get it home. The Lord Jeffs had a big scare when Salerno blocked a shot, went down, but was able limp off ice as play continued. The relentless Lord Jeff forecheck began to turn the tide of play as the period wore on. The 2nd opened with Amherst on the powerplay and as the penalty expired Swiontowski broke in on the left wing and from behind the goal to Fisk's stickside got a pass to Clegg, but her backhand was wide gloveside. Amherst scored just before another powerplay opportunity ended. A Cadet lofted a clearing attempt from the corner, but Salerno was able to leap, glove the puck and pass to Lloyd on the blueline to her right. Lloyd rocketed a shot off the back boards, wide of Fisk gloveside, Fisher worked to control the puck and found Swiontowski open at the right post and she beat Fisk stickside. Amherst added an insurance goal early in the 3rd. The Lord Jeff forecheck had been frustrating the Cadets most of the game and it paid off when McInnis and Doyen worked hard on the boards behind the net and Salmon got some space in the slot; her wrist shot beat Fisk up stickside for the 2-0 lead. Coach Boulding rolled the dice and pulled his goalie with a faceoff in the Lord Jeff end and 2:43 left. Amherst withstood the pressure, but was prudent to take a timeout with :51 left and some confusion on D assignments.
                  Great contest. Amherst pressures constantly and Norwich appeared unable to deal with the forecheck and strong positional D play. The Cadet's statistics show them to be a high powered offense, but playing their way through the ECAC-East conference schedule does not seem to provide the challenge they need to hone their game. I think this a big Amherst win in securing a possible Pool "C" bid, should the NESCAC auto bid elude them, as it gives the Lord Jeffs the head-head comparison with Norwich in the unlikely event the Cadets stumble in their conference tournament.
                  Amherst returns to action Friday with a NESCAC series at Connecticut College. Norwich is home to ECAC-East foes New England College and Castleton this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                    The USCHO #1 Norwich Cadets paid a visit to Orr Arena and the #7 Lord Jeffs last evening for an exciting non-conference match-up. Amherst was completing a brutal 5 game stretch which included a split with arch rival Middlebury and road victories over Wisconsin-River Falls and St. Thomas and they saved the best for last. There was little of the air of anticipation that preceeded the RIT game, as the Tuesday eveing crowd filtered in slowly. The Zamboni fired up and it was all good. Norwich had one of its best chances of the eveing in the first minute. The puck was in the Amherst offensive zone and Fortier grabbed it at the blueline and lugged it down the left boards to the top of the circle and with a trailer to her right whistled a drive off the pipe. The Cadets continued to apply lots of pressure for the next 7 or 8 minutes. Amherst had a good chance at 12:25 of the 1st with a loose puck at the top of the crease, but could not get it home. The Lord Jeffs had a big scare when Salerno blocked a shot, went down, but was able limp off ice as play continued. The relentless Lord Jeff forecheck began to turn the tide of play as the period wore on. The 2nd opened with Amherst on the powerplay and as the penalty expired Swiontowski broke in on the left wing and from behind the goal to Fisk's stickside got a pass to Clegg, but her backhand was wide gloveside. Amherst scored just before another powerplay opportunity ended. A Cadet lofted a clearing attempt from the corner, but Salerno was able to leap, glove the puck and pass to Lloyd on the blueline to her right. Lloyd rocketed a shot off the back boards, wide of Fisk gloveside, Fisher worked to control the puck and found Swiontowski open at the right post and she beat Fisk stickside. Amherst added an insurance goal early in the 3rd. The Lord Jeff forecheck had been frustrating the Cadets most of the game and it paid off when McInnis and Doyen worked hard on the boards behind the net and Salmon got some space in the slot; her wrist shot beat Fisk up stickside for the 2-0 lead. Coach Boulding rolled the dice and pulled his goalie with a faceoff in the Lord Jeff end and 2:43 left. Amherst withstood the pressure, but was prudent to take a timeout with :51 left and some confusion on D assignments.
                    Great contest. Amherst pressures constantly and Norwich appeared unable to deal with the forecheck and strong positional D play. The Cadet's statistics show them to be a high powered offense, but playing their way through the ECAC-East conference schedule does not seem to provide the challenge they need to hone their game. I think this a big Amherst win in securing a possible Pool "C" bid, should the NESCAC auto bid elude them, as it gives the Lord Jeffs the head-head comparison with Norwich in the unlikely event the Cadets stumble in their conference tournament.
                    Amherst returns to action Friday with a NESCAC series at Connecticut College. Norwich is home to ECAC-East foes New England College and Castleton this weekend.
                    I feel I owe Amherst goalie Sinead Murphy an apology for failing to note her brilliant play in shutting out Norwich for the first time in 68 games dating back to 12/6/2009. An outstanding effort and achievement!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                      I feel I owe Amherst goalie Sinead Murphy an apology for failing to note her brilliant play in shutting out Norwich for the first time in 68 games dating back to 12/6/2009. An outstanding effort and achievement!
                      I watched this game, great recap. I would add that Murphy did all that while going 5 and 0 on the kill against the # 1 PP.... "cliking at a "ridiculous" 38%!" (as per the announcer)..Beauty! ...and if we are giving out props, Geneva Llyod just went up about 3 notches in the Laura Hurd running IMHO.

Surprised this game isn't getting more press...

If it were the stockmarket.. I'd be buying Amherst today, selling some Norwich, holding on RIT, Platty. Elmira, Middlebury, Gustavas and taking a outside position in both, WRF and St. Thomas...in fact I'm really suprised the "analysts" to the West haven't picked up on that

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                        I watched this game, great recap. I would add that Murphy did all that while going 5 and 0 on the kill against the # 1 PP.... "cliking at a "ridiculous" 38%!" (as per the announcer)..Beauty! ...and if we are giving out props, Geneva Llyod just went up about 3 notches in the Laura Hurd running IMHO.

Surprised this game isn't getting more press...

If it were the stockmarket.. I'd be buying Amherst today, selling some Norwich, holding on RIT, Platty. Elmira, Middlebury, Gustavas and taking a outside position in both, WRF and St. Thomas...in fact I'm really suprised the "analysts" to the West haven't picked up on that
                        So Amherst gets an easy 2-0 win over Norwich, but barely gets by St Thomas and River Falls and the west is supposed to be afraid?? St Thomas isn't even the 4th best team in the west and they outshot Amherst and held the lead for awhile.

UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                          So Amherst gets an easy 2-0 win over Norwich, but barely gets by St Thomas and River Falls and the west is supposed to be afraid?? St Thomas isn't even the 4th best team in the west and they outshot Amherst and held the lead for awhile.

Seriously? They outshot them by one. Had a full week to prepare. Amherst was playing it's fourth game in one week. Once Amherst gets a lead they let their Defense take over and limit teams quality scoring chances. Bottom line is both western teams didn't get it done against an eastern team, again.
                          RIT TIGERS
                          2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                            Seriously? They outshot them by one. Had a full week to prepare. Amherst was playing it's fourth game in one week. Once Amherst gets a lead they let their Defense take over and limit teams quality scoring chances. Bottom line is both western teams didn't get it done against an eastern team, again.
                            You are absolutely correct. The West has just not been able to beat East in a couple of years during the regular season, and Lord knows how many years it has been in the NCAA's since they have won a game. The East follows the Al Davis saying.....just win baby!! The East certainly has a lock on that.

Comment

clearly the east has issues with understanding sarcasm...I threw in a couple of smiley faces to help you figure it out...but clearly you can't understand.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Four NESCAC series on tap for this weekend:

Williams at Bowdoin-I am sure this is an emotional meeting for both coaches; played together, both were assistants at Amherst together, Coach O'Neil recruited some of the Ephs; stats are surprisingly equal, although Williams has a much better powerplay %; Polar Bears need to stay out of the box to sweep, but I think a split is most likely

Colby at Trinity-both have solid goal play and team D; the White Mules are 1-6 on the road; Trinity has been playing better of late and has Colman-McGaw back on the ice; I think it is a Bantam sweep

Middlebury at Hamilton-big edge to Panthers in goal and team D; Continental need to stay out of the box and avoid giving Midd those PP chances; Midd gets the sweep (although playing on much smaller ice at Russell Sage could be a challenge)

Amherst at Conn College-the Lord Jeffs are coming off a brutal 5 game run with the split against Midd and wins over River Falls, St. Thomas and Norwich; Conn has gone 4-0-1 in their last 5 games: a split with Colby and wins over Plymouth State and Wesleyan twice; 2nd period could key these games as Amherst outscores opponents 22-2 in the 2nd, while Conn has been outscored 14-7; Amherst goalie duo have been on their game and team D is outstanding; I believe it is an Amherst sweep

Comment

Working...
                                X