Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nescac 2011-2012

Originally posted by chirp purp View Post
    anyone catch the amherst - rit tilt?? would love to hear how the teams matched up. obviously it appears pretty even from the box score, but always appreciate the "i-was-there" opinions
    Hi C P,
    Sorry to not respond on the RIT-Amherst tilt, but the result was a bit of a disappointment to the NESCAC faithful. To begin, there were a number of former Amherst stars in town for the game; I spoke with Hanlon and Elek and saw others. There was clearly a "big game" vibe at Orr. It all came to an anti-climax as 3pm approached and it became clear something was wrong...like the Zamboni was not working. The players were all emerging from locker rooms wondering what was going on and eventually the tech people were able to determine the need to over-ride some sort of emergency shutoff on the machine and it came on ice. The teams then had a short re-warmup and the party started something like 45 minutes late. Amherst came out flying and was able to allay any of my fear they would not be able to match the physical play of RIT. The Tigers had just completed a 4 game swing through Ontario and with many Canadians on their roster seemed to bring a bit more physical play than the Kaselouskas-Mann ref team was willing to condone. The previous day they played against Trinity with the Guay-Zanetti ref team making the calls; a team noted for their let them play style of officiating. The game clearly represented a failure by the Amherst powerplay, as they had numerous opportunites, including the 3rd period major, but failed to cash in. The lone goal of the game was a flukey play. Yokoyama fed the puck out of center ice to Hills on the left wing breaking in; she was well covered 1x1 by a D and was being steered wide to Murphy's stickside when the puck careened off a skate and bounced acoss and in off the far, gloveside post. Coach Plumer really shortened his bench (which is not really his style, but an indication of his desire to win) and his special teams just ran out of gas in the 3rd. I think any objective fan in attendance felt Amherst outplayed RIT. This is not intended to dis the Tigers; they played great D in front of Chamberlain, who obviously had an outstanding game. Two really good teams I hope to see more of as we get into the meat of the season!

Comment

The St. Michaels' Tournament sees Colby in action tonight at 7 against host St. Michaels with Nichols on ice against Sacred Heart right now. Theoretically this should be Colby's show (they are ranked #30 in the Rutter and #24 in D3hockey.com's Wiitala, while St. Michaels is #50 in Rutter and #51 in Wiitala, with Nichols at #46 and #43...and Sacred Heart is, well, Sacred Heart). More action tomorrow up at St. Mikes.
      Trinity (#36 R and #45 W) hosts Southern Maine (#39 R and #40 W) on Sunday and Monday.
      The good old Polar Bears swing into action against Sacred Heart Monday, while Codfish Bowl host UMass-Boston faces Wesleyan. Again in theory, Bowdoin should win here (I think I regretted saying something like that last year???) as they rank #21 R and #14 W (UMB #34 R and #23 W and Wesleyan #43 R and #32 W), but they have been a tad inconsistent so far. Anyway...
      GO U BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OMG!!!!!!!!!
        http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/boxes/wclbstm1.d30

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
          "and that's why they play the games!!"

The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Boy, the ECAC-East just owns the NESCAC, eh?

Comment

And so does ECAC-West.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRondelle View Post
                And so does ECAC-West.
                I would not go that far, but I would agree that RIT Goalie Chamberlin has NESCAC's #, as Amherst was certainly the better team the night they played before Christmas, but Chamberlin was great. The same could be said for the Middlebury game last year in the NCAA. She played great and slightly outperformed Bloom, who was All American. In both games the NESCAC outshot RIT, but door was shut by the goaltender. Let's see how rest of season goes before saying who has who's #. Time will tell.

Comment

Thank goodness:
                  http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/boxes/wclbnic1.d31

Comment

Nichols actually is improved this year from what I've heard and judging by some early box scores. Not saying they should have beaten Colby...but still.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: Nescac 2011-2012

I can testify...it was a good first win for St. Mike's and Colby certainly had the better of the play, but as you can imagine sometimes so much so that they got burned on defense for 2 breakaway goals by Santore who is talented and the top scorer for St. Mike's...she found herself in front with the puck unattended three times and scored on two of them by taking her time and deke-ing the goalie. the third st.mikes goal was a deflection off an offensive players shin, and Erin Stevens for St.Mike's was working hard to get her first shutout of the season until a predictable let-down by an entire shift left her out to dry. Colby is a little challenged for offense when their leading scorer (up to this w/e) is a d-man, so it isn't surprising that they managed just 3 goals this w/e. Their defense is usually good, and just got caught on some fine passing at times they didn't expect -- they had been lulled into complacency by the majority of St. Mike's play, I think.
                      "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
                      -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Maybe this could be the start of your next article. A comparison between the five leagues, conference vs conference records, etc...

Happy New Years everyone!
                        RIT TIGERS
                        2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Another round in the ECAC-East-NESCAC face off this evening up in Hartford as Southern Maine (3-4-1) calls on Trinity (1-6). The Huskies have scored 7 goals in 8 games, with two losses to Colby, but a 0-0 tie with Manhattanville. Trinity has scored 11 goals in 7 games with their lone win a season opening 3-1 victory at Conn College, but played close in losses to RIT and Middlebury. Pujol has a solid .927 saves % for the Bantams. Frosh Bergstrom sports a .936 for the Huskies. Both squads feature anemic powerplays, with Trinity at 2/32 and SoMe at 1/38. Looks pretty evenly matched, except for the ECAC-East owning the NESCAC thing?
                          Anyone making the trip?

Comment

Way to represent for the NESCAC Bantams!!! I admit I was a little nervous when SoMe scored on their 4th shot of the game and led 1-0, but my fears proved groundless.
                            Rematch tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

The box makes it look like a good game, although UMB did outshoot the Cardinals 33-18:
                              http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/boxes/wumbwes1.j02

Comment

Tess-Wanat scores her 4th goal of the Codfish Bowl to put the Polar bears up 1-0 at 16:31 of the 1st.

Comment

Working...
                                X