Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...till_sear.html

Who wants to read that and then tell me which conference we're headed in? I haven't asked anyone in Spragins Hall at all, but I have a good idea based on this.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Who wants to read that and then tell me which conference we're headed in? I haven't asked anyone in Spragins Hall at all, but I have a good idea based on this.

GFM
      That article would indicate the WCHA more than AHA.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        What in the article would indicate that? There are no quotes from anyone in either league. I will say that with the improvements, the VBC will be in the middle as far as arenas go in the WCHA. I would hazard a guess that most of the objection to the facility came from schools no longer in the CCHA. Even without the upgrades, the VBC compared favorably to Bowling Green, Ferris, Lake State, UAF and NMU. I probably would have put it right in the middle of that group. It's nice to hear that some positive progress has been made. Hopefully they can find a way for it to happen.
        Last edited by davyd83; 04-16-2012, 10:20 PM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Why do you think that? [I'm not trying to be a wiseass. I'm curious as to how everyone reads it.]

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            What in the article would indicate that? There are no quotes from anyone in either league. I will say that with the improvements, the VBC will be in the middle as far as arenas go in the WCHA. I would hazard a guess that most of the objection to the facility came from schools no longer in the CCHA. Even without the upgrades, the VBC compared favorably to Bowling Green, Ferris, Lake State, UAF and NMU. I probably would have put it right in the middle of that group. It's nice to hear that some positive progress has been made. Hopefully they can find a way for it to happen.
            It's a lot nicer in the lower bowl to be sure, the concourse is a big step up, and the lobby is fantastic. I'm disappointed that there was very little work done upstairs with the seating past putting up the much-needed mid-step handrails. The steps up in my section have a too-short step that fouls at least five people a game. Thankfully there's a handrail right there by it, but I cringe every time I see someone coming up the stairs. [I have no idea what section it is anymore. I think it's 304. They renumbered everything and I'm confused by it. I know where I sit, though: low in the upper bowl in the left ear of the goalie we shoot on twice. It's my fave.]

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              Why do you think that? [I'm not trying to be a wiseass. I'm curious as to how everyone reads it.]

GFM
              Primarily: given the facilities in the AHA, why would it be such a big deal if the VBC had improvements? It's already more substantial than most of what you'll find in the AHA.

Second: If the CCHA listed facilities as a reason for turning down uAH, and the VbC had renovations, that would be an indication that the new cCHA schools might have raised their eyebrows. Consider that the old WCHA had tougher facility standards, but the nWCHA doesn't have the B1Gs or the nChC schools to justify the higher standards.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Primarily: given the facilities in the AHA, why would it be such a big deal if the VBC had improvements? It's already more substantial than most of what you'll find in the AHA.

Second: If the CCHA listed facilities as a reason for turning down uAH, and the VbC had renovations, that would be an indication that the new cCHA schools might have raised their eyebrows. Consider that the old WCHA had tougher facility standards, but the nWCHA doesn't have the B1Gs or the nChC schools to justify the higher standards.
                That was but one of the issues and objections of the CCHA. If facilities was previously one objection from the CCHA, but not for the AHA, now they are on equal footing. I would hesitate to make either one the favorite until I see substantiation from representatives of both leagues.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  That was but one of the issues and objections of the CCHA. If facilities was previously one objection from the CCHA, but not for the AHA, now they are on equal footing. I would hesitate to make either one the favorite until I see substantiation from representatives of both leagues.
                  The big issues and questions from the CCHA were not the quality/amenities of the VBC but their commitment to UAH and not playing second fiddle to the Havoc in scheduling. I don't think any of the CCHA schools cared whether there was a video board or nicer concessions. It was about playing Saturday afternoon or Thursday night games and the unwillingness to black out dates for potential playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerBlue View Post
                    The big issues and questions from the CCHA were not the quality/amenities of the VBC but their commitment to UAH and not playing second fiddle to the Havoc in scheduling. I don't think any of the CCHA schools cared whether there was a video board or nicer concessions. It was about playing Saturday afternoon or Thursday night games and the unwillingness to black out dates for potential playoffs.
                    That and travel expense. Those two items remain with the new WCHA, maybe even more. If that gap can be bridged, UAH's chances improve greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                      After reading it a couple times, coupled with has been previously put out here (i.e. meeting with AH folks in Tampa, the not so veiled comments about talking to a conference that would have 9 teams, etc.) I could easily see people pick either nWCHA or AH and have reasonable rationale for both.

I think Dr. Brophy was being intentionally vague/ambigous, wanting to communicate why they were optimistic coming out of Tampa but not specify any specific conference.

His comments about "...we made a breakthrough..." and "I think we might have pushed it to the next notch." could apply to both. There had already been some conversations with the nWCHA (assumed by me, the conference has never been named by anyone offically associated with UAH) prior to Tampa, so it's reasonable to think that progress could have been made on that front. But the perception among many, myself obviously included, has been that AH had no interest in UAH joining; therefore, since we know some conversations were had between the two parties, the breakthrough could also be in reference to AH.

His comments about "We can't be picky...we have got to get into the first conference that bites the hook..." makes me think more towards AH. It's long been thought that the nWCHA would be our referred conference, but this pretty well puts to rest that there is any preference. It could also be the proverbial shot across the bow of any potential conference (but probably more the nWCHA since talks had already taken place) - if you want us, don't put off a decision too long because someone else may offer before.

His comment about the city spending the money to refurbish the VBC and that a number of conferences changed their tune - I think this might apply more to the WCHA since none of their teams visited after the work was done - BSU has been there before and saw the ongoing construction last year so they knew work was being done. The CCHA had several teams visit the last two seasons, including FSU, LSSU and BG who will be nWCHA, so they should be aware for the during & after construction work. AH also had a couple teams in the last two years. But who knows how much awareness there was at the conference level.

His comments about "Reinforcing to people that we beat Denver, who was nationally ranked, and that we tied Air Force opened people's eyes and made them think." - I think this would apply more to the AH and the current CCHA than it would any current WCHA teams, who I would think would have already been aware that we beat Denver, UNO and took UMD down to the wire.

I still think it's pointing more to the nWCHA, but I would not be surprised if it ends up being the AH - something I didn't see as being very probable just a couple weeks ago.

But I could be reading way too much into all of it Not the first time I've done that.
                      Last edited by fangers; 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Y'all have changed my thinking a couple of times here.

GFM <-- trying to be as vague as EJ
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Doesn't UCONN to Hockey East, if it happens, make UAH to Atlantic the most logical move? And given AHA's pod scheduling it might not be too bad either. Though there would have to be some reshuffling of the pods I guess, but playing the East 2 games home or away, then 2-1 agaisnt the west would solve you rscheduling issues, allow you to re-establish relationships with Niagara, Robert Morris, Army, and Air Force, have a reasonable number of home games, play for "something". For all the downside, and I have to question if that downside is really that bad, it would seem to be the answer to a prayer. I guess the "new" WCHA could work too, but the AHA thing in my opinion works pretty well for you guys.

Comment

I hate to say it, but at the end of the day, I am not optimistic about UAH landing anywhere. When it comes down to it, each AD at the schools involved have to ask themselves --- "is our school better off by admitting UAH" I can't see any of them saying yes.
                            Budgets, travel, school time etc all point to voting no. Throw in another school competing for the same NCAA bid and I just don't see the non hockey people thinking this is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                              Doesn't UCONN to Hockey East, if it happens, make UAH to Atlantic the most logical move? And given AHA's pod scheduling it might not be too bad either. Though there would have to be some reshuffling of the pods I guess, but playing the East 2 games home or away, then 2-1 agaisnt the west would solve you rscheduling issues, allow you to re-establish relationships with Niagara, Robert Morris, Army, and Air Force, have a reasonable number of home games, play for "something". For all the downside, and I have to question if that downside is really that bad, it would seem to be the answer to a prayer. I guess the "new" WCHA could work too, but the AHA thing in my opinion works pretty well for you guys.
                              The UCONN decision I think will have a direct impact on the future of the UAH program. If UCONN sticks with AHA I don't see there being any chance of UAH joining, as AHA won't have any need to take on the extra financial and travel burden.

If UCONN leaves though, I think the AHA will definitely look at UAH because they are the biggest/best/only realistic option for filling the spot immediately.

And it's been made pretty clear that UAH is going to go to whoever asks first, which implies not a lot of interest from conferences so far.
                              RIT

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
                                I hate to say it, but at the end of the day, I am not optimistic about UAH landing anywhere. When it comes down to it, each AD at the schools involved have to ask themselves --- "is our school better off by admitting UAH" I can't see any of them saying yes.
                                Budgets, travel, school time etc all point to voting no. Throw in another school competing for the same NCAA bid and I just don't see the non hockey people thinking this is a good idea.
                                Could make that argument about several schools, ie Alaska et al. The question to be asked I believe is, does adding UAH make "our school/conference" worse off.

Comment

Working...
                                X