Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

When will UAH find out if the WCHA will accept them or not? I'm sure they want to know sooner rather than later.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      When will UAH find out if the WCHA will accept them or not? I'm sure they want to know sooner rather than later.
      We don't even know if they have formally applied to the WCHA yet.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
        So... we hear you need a conference.
        You hear correctly. We're working to get into WCHA 2.0.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          We don't even know if they have formally applied to the WCHA yet.
          Who even knows what the application process entails? The new WCHA is in a state of flux, and I expect that hearing a petition from UAH for admission is still an undecided. Note that this is speculation on my part and has no inside knowledge behind it. All I know, because it's been stated in semi-public areas, is that our President, AD, and head coach have been in regular, repeated contact with their nWCHA counterparts.

I think most anyone who spends some time can figure out who's for, against, and on the fence.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            Who even knows what the application process entails? The new WCHA is in a state of flux, and I expect that hearing a petition from UAH for admission is still an undecided. Note that this is speculation on my part and has no inside knowledge behind it. All I know, because it's been stated in semi-public areas, is that our President, AD, and head coach have been in regular, repeated contact with their nWCHA counterparts.

I think most anyone who spends some time can figure out who's for, against, and on the fence.

GFM
            I would think that the assorted collection of misfits that the new WCHA should be able to realize that a program that's as committed to keeping College Hockey around as what the UAH community has been, would be an overall asset to the new league. Hell, UAH had some A-hole from Tuscaloosa try to kill em off the last day he would have the self-imposed authority to do so, and you guys are still on schedules for next year. That, perhaps drop a few mentions about how it would be best for college hockey if UAH was in a conference, and how a few schools from the CCHA didn't do what's best for College Hockey because they didn't want to give up the one extra payday a year they would have lost with one of the Big Ten schools coming to town. Ask them how well that worked out for them??
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              I would think that the assorted collection of misfits that the new WCHA should be able to realize that a program that's as committed to keeping College Hockey around as what the UAH community has been, would be an overall asset to the new league. Hell, UAH had some A-hole from Tuscaloosa try to kill em off the last day he would have the self-imposed authority to do so, and you guys are still on schedules for next year. That, perhaps drop a few mentions about how it would be best for college hockey if UAH was in a conference, and how a few schools from the CCHA didn't do what's best for College Hockey because they didn't want to give up the one extra payday a year they would have lost with one of the Big Ten schools coming to town. Ask them how well that worked out for them??
              The "do it for the Brotherhood of College Hockey" doesn't do crap when it comes down to people who have budgets to mind.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

The "do it for the Brotherhood of College Hockey" doesn't do crap when it comes down to people who have budgets to mind.

GFM
                True, but hell, mention about how they screwed UAH before, and they still ended up holding a big bag of dog dookie. Guilt might not be such a bad angle to use here, especially to some of the same people who had teams who's conferencemates all ripped their hearts out of their future plans.
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  True, but hell, mention about how they screwed UAH before, and they still ended up holding a big bag of dog dookie. Guilt might not be such a bad angle to use here, especially to some of the same people who had teams who's conferencemates all ripped their hearts out of their future plans.
                  Why are the WCHA teams being singled out?

Of 59 (in 2012-13) NCAA Division one hockey teams and their member conferences:
                  - Eight teams are still scrubbing the blood off their hands and just shrugged their shoulders going "We're like minded, and in our minds, we don't like you."
                  - Six teams looked around at each other and point to their by-laws and go "we can only play with ourselves now that there are six of us."
                  - Ten teams pointed to their hockey conference name and went "Nope, it says EAST in our name, so we'll only accept Eastern Time Zone members. Welcome aboard, always a flight for the rest of our member schools, Notre Dame!"
                  - Twelve schools, six of them ivy's, are blissfully ignorant to the rest of the mess in college hockey.
                  - Twelve schools with reduced scholarships where over half of the conference already told UAH to pound sand in 2008.

And yet seven Upper Midwest schools, and two in Alaska are to be guilted into this?
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'd just like to add that I'm fine with UAH in the New WCHA. It didn't make sense with the CCHA because there were a lot of fears surrounding a couple existing CCHA schools. I certainly banged the drum loud on not having an additional question mark thrown into the volatile CCHA. Have those concerns been shored up? With the commitment by some of these schools to the New WCHA, I presume so (but I could be wrong).

I just want the New WCHA to be fair to all the member schools including UAH; and the addition of UAH to make sense to the longevity of the New WCHA.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I think the nWCHA wants to let the dust settle a bit before admitting UAH. The NaCHo league schism has really thrown nWCHA financial planning to the Ouija board. The league has so many unknowns that it's hard to predict if it can maintain solvency even without another air travel school. The big revenue from the Final Five tourney is gone, shared revenue from the big arenas in Madison and Minneapolis are gone and two Alaska schools will present additional challenges. Outside of BGSU and the Alaskas, the nWCHA is a bus league that can and will need to keep costs low. The Alaska school travel is somewhat mitigated, but UAH travel will be a significant and risky expense for a regional league of small arena schools. Once the nWCHA sets up new offices, new leadership, a new fee structure and a new tourney format, it will become more clear how much it will cost to host UAH. I do think that UAH will end up in the nWCHA sooner than later, but it would be reckless for the nWCHA to invite them before it gets some infrastructure and plans in place in order to get a feel for its new financials. Hopefully that takes place over the summer and a deal can then be worked out to add UAH before the end of 2012. With Morehead off the table and no other D1 programs coming online, it seems like UAH would be the best way to get 10 teams, so long as it doesn't break the bank.

Comment

Maybe the nWCHA could have a semi-probation process where UAH would be the number 10 playoff seed. This way UAH has something to play for until the nWCHA makes a decision whether to admit them as a full time member or not. ie. MSU-Mankato
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Maybe the nWCHA could have a semi-probation process where UAH would be the number 10 playoff seed. This way UAH has something to play for until the nWCHA makes a decision whether to admit them as a full time member or not. ie. MSU-Mankato
                          Why do I suddenly feel like we've (UAH) been cast as members of delta fraternity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tfK_3XK4CI

lol

Comment

You hear correctly. We're working to get into WCHA 2.0.

GFM
                            We can offer you a nice warm seat.

Don't mind the dog hair, or smell..

You did us a solid when we came up to D1, I hope that we can help do you a solid going forward.
                            RIT

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                              I think the nWCHA wants to let the dust settle a bit before admitting UAH. The NaCHo league schism has really thrown nWCHA financial planning to the Ouija board. The league has so many unknowns that it's hard to predict if it can maintain solvency even without another air travel school. The big revenue from the Final Five tourney is gone, shared revenue from the big arenas in Madison and Minneapolis are gone and two Alaska schools will present additional challenges. Outside of BGSU and the Alaskas, the nWCHA is a bus league that can and will need to keep costs low. The Alaska school travel is somewhat mitigated, but UAH travel will be a significant and risky expense for a regional league of small arena schools. Once the nWCHA sets up new offices, new leadership, a new fee structure and a new tourney format, it will become more clear how much it will cost to host UAH. I do think that UAH will end up in the nWCHA sooner than later, but it would be reckless for the nWCHA to invite them before it gets some infrastructure and plans in place in order to get a feel for its new financials. Hopefully that takes place over the summer and a deal can then be worked out to add UAH before the end of 2012. With Morehead off the table and no other D1 programs coming online, it seems like UAH would be the best way to get 10 teams, so long as it doesn't break the bank.
                              To me, all this adds up to UAH having just as good a shot at landing a home if they start making phone calls (LOTS of phone calls) to any and all colleges within a 500 mile radius that might have a rink nearby campus and the slightest inkling of a shot to maybe want to play. Start with Kennessaw State and hope for the best.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                                We can offer you a nice warm seat.
                                If UConn bolts, that spot is almost assuredly going to go to Navy before it goes to UAH. And that's even if Navy doesn't have their program yet.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X