Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Hopefully everyone is safe in Huntsville, just heard a tornado touched down nearby.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      Again - does NMU want to play D-I hockey or pinch pennies and drop the sport? I understand that college budgets have taken a massive hit over the last few years, but the reality of playing D-I athletics demands that the money to play at a realistic level is maintained. What does that mean in this argument? NMU (and Tech and FSU) will have to fly to Alaska, UAA and likely UAH if they are added to the conference. As Shirtless points out, there is a way to "only" double NMU's flight travel budget most years (in conference anyway) and occasionally triple it **. Is it impossible to make up that difference - especially if UAH does kick in a travel subsidy *** ? There is your question. If the answer is "no," than maybe NMU should look at joining whatever conference Finlandia is in and bus to every game.
      i don't think that anyone here wants to see UAH drop hockey, but how do you go to the point of saying that NMU should drop out of D1 if they aren't willing to deal with travel to Huntsville? NMU is in the new WCHA. UAH is (presumably) trying to join the league. To suggest that any team that doesn't want to make the extra travel to UAH (if in fact that is the case) should leave to accommodate UAH makes no sense. Where would the WCHA benefit if NMU leaves division 1 and UAH joins? Now they just have 9 teams more spread out. NMU and the other schools have a very simple calculation to make. Is the benefit of a 10th team to the conference and the expansion south to have a team in Alabama worth enough (including goodwill to save a program) to justify the extra cost? If the WCHA doesn't accept UAH (although I think it would be great if it worked out), that doesn't make them anymore culpable than for not kicking in enough extra cash to make a UM-Morehead team feasible. If a team wants to join a conference, make a case for why it benefits (or at least is neutral to) member institutions. If UAH wants to play the "good of hockey" card, then show where the benefit of having UAH in D1 hockey is (and I think there may very well be benefit), who gets the benefit (WCHA or otherwise), and then show how that benefit can help offset the extra cost to WCHA institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
        i don't think that anyone here wants to see UAH drop hockey, but how do you go to the point of saying that NMU should drop out of D1 if they aren't willing to deal with travel to Huntsville? NMU is in the new WCHA. UAH is (presumably) trying to join the league. To suggest that any team that doesn't want to make the extra travel to UAH (if in fact that is the case) should leave to accommodate UAH makes no sense. Where would the WCHA benefit if NMU leaves division 1 and UAH joins? Now they just have 9 teams more spread out. NMU and the other schools have a very simple calculation to make. Is the benefit of a 10th team to the conference and the expansion south to have a team in Alabama worth enough (including goodwill to save a program) to justify the extra cost? If the WCHA doesn't accept UAH (although I think it would be great if it worked out), that doesn't make them anymore culpable than for not kicking in enough extra cash to make a UM-Morehead team feasible. If a team wants to join a conference, make a case for why it benefits (or at least is neutral to) member institutions. If UAH wants to play the "good of hockey" card, then show where the benefit of having UAH in D1 hockey is (and I think there may very well be benefit), who gets the benefit (WCHA or otherwise), and then show how that benefit can help offset the extra cost to WCHA institutions.
        I think what he's trying to get at is if the only major drawback of adding UAH is the travel to Huntsville, and if UAH agrees to subsidize that travel to some extent, than NMU has no excuse not to vote for UAH's admission to the WCHA. The WCHA is not a cost containment league like Atlantic Hockey so to hold on to the argument of travel expenses because NMU wants to avoid a flight at all costs seems a little absurd, especially now when you consider that NMU can play non-conference games with WMU, Wisconsin, SCSU, UMD without having to fly at all. Michigan Tech has never been afraid to fly for non-conference games and has flown more than NMU and they don't seem to have a problem with it.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          The WCHA is not a cost containment league
          Umm, New WCHA or Old WCHA? You're telling me that MTU is saddened that they won't have to pay for a flight or two to Colorado every year? One of those flights now goes to UAF (depending on who pays the bill, UAF may pick up part of it), and the other now can be put towards recruiting or other hockey operations funding.

LSSU, BGSU, FSU, and NMU are all "bus" schools, who fly ONLY to Alaska. In fact, none of those teams ever flew to Omaha. (there's YouTube video of BGSU getting stuck in Iowa during a snowstorm during the playoffs)

So, those four schools should "suck it up" and fly as often as MTU does?

so to hold on to the argument of travel expenses because NMU wants to avoid a flight at all costs seems a little absurd, especially now when you consider that NMU can play non-conference games with WMU, Wisconsin, SCSU, UMD without having to fly at all. Michigan Tech has never been afraid to fly for non-conference games and has flown more than NMU and they don't seem to have a problem with it.
          Of the four teams you listed, three are already non-conference foes, and all four are within bus distance. Nothing changes with those four after the conference switch, other than the fact that NMU doesn't need to leave on a Thursday at 7 am for Kalamazoo via bus once per season anymore.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Michigan Tech has never been afraid to fly for non-conference games and has flown more than NMU and they don't seem to have a problem with it.
            Really? When's the last time MTU flew for a non-conference matchup?
            November 25 & 26 2011 to St. Lawrence?
            January 4 & 5 2008 to Mercyhurst? (well within bus distance)

So once in the last decade?
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I think it really comes down to how much is UAH really committed to hockey? Will they subsidize?

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Really? When's the last time MTU flew for a non-conference matchup?
                November 25 & 26 2011 to St. Lawrence?
                January 4 & 5 2008 to Mercyhurst? (well within bus distance)

So once in the last decade?
                Vermont 2006
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Umm, New WCHA or Old WCHA?
                  A valid point. I think that much of the appeal of the new league is the new geography. Only time will tell how much the teams fly from here on out. Some of that will be dictated by who is willing to schedule new WCHA teams for home and homes.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    I think it really comes down to how much is UAH really committed to hockey? Will they subsidize?
                    I understand that to be the plan. I don't know any particulars. We did offer to subsidize travel when we applied for the CCHA in 2009.
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                      We did offer to subsidize travel when we applied for the CCHA in 2009.
                      I've been told by enough people and enough times to clearly state that it was $70k/yr, payable to the CCHA office. I am sure that, if this is a concern from WCHA member schools, a discussion will be had. This would presumably be one of the many things we are fundraising to support. That said, I do not know for a fact whether we would offer a subsidy or how much it would be. I haven't asked, and I haven't been told. If I do ask, I probably can't tell.

GFM <-- was hoping to swing by the hockey office today before the storms spun up ... damage is in the north half of the county, and we're in the south half. Have friends with damage.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        I've been told by enough people and enough times to clearly state that it was $70k/yr, payable to the CCHA office. I am sure that, if this is a concern from WCHA member schools, a discussion will be had. This would presumably be one of the many things we are fundraising to support. That said, I do not know for a fact whether we would offer a subsidy or how much it would be. I haven't asked, and I haven't been told. If I do ask, I probably can't tell.

GFM <-- was hoping to swing by the hockey office today before the storms spun up ... damage is in the north half of the county, and we're in the south half. Have friends with damage.
                        Hope things are OK for the UAH fans with the storms. A buddy of mine near Birmingham, in the Trussville area, had his home destroyed by the storms that went through there last month. Thoughts and prayers go out for those affected.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Three commits for the defense, which brings them to eight. I expect Gavin has his limit there. I know that they've been working on forwards like crazy. Still need five guys: four forwards and a goalie.

On an alumni note, Scott Munroe and Cam Talbot faced off in the AHL on Friday night. Cam came in relief and the pair combined to stop all 50 pucks thrown on net. I'm pretty sure that this is their first meeting.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Also: UAHStatman pointed out to me that UAH will be playing at UMD again next year, this time March 1-2. The last time UAH played in March was in the 2-1 loss to Miami in 2009-10, thanks to the Pagan Independent Scheduling Gods. [Jerks.]

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              Three commits for the defense, which brings them to eight. I expect Gavin has his limit there. I know that they've been working on forwards like crazy. Still need five guys: four forwards and a goalie.

On an alumni note, Scott Munroe and Cam Talbot faced off in the AHL on Friday night. Cam came in relief and the pair combined to stop all 50 pucks thrown on net. I'm pretty sure that this is their first meeting.

GFM
                              I'm pretty sure it was the first meeting of two former Charger goaltenders at any pro level ever. Huzzah!
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

So... we hear you need a conference.
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X