Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

You'd think, with the advent of technology, that the NCAA would grant exceptions to the 48-hour and 24-hour rules when the locations include distance-learning classrooms that are provided to the student-athletes and there is documented evidence of their use by the team for educational purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Show me how to make that trip, which will take a minimum of 19 hours bus time, leaving Marquette at 8 pm Wednesday, having a skate somewhere along the way and getting into Huntsville inside that 48 hour window. Also consider that that bus trip in o4 cost half what it does now qnd 48 hour compliance was not a concern. If it was such a great thing for NMU or LSSU, why was it only a one time swap, and for LSSU a trip in a year in which they were having trouble filling their non conference schedule. When that trip was made
      Why can't you drive through the night with two bus drivers? When I was in high school, we drove straight through to Colorado Springs.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        You'd think, with the advent of technology, that the NCAA would grant exceptions to the 48-hour and 24-hour rules when the locations include distance-learning classrooms that are provided to the student-athletes and there is documented evidence of their use by the team for educational purposes.
        That makes far too much sense to ever happen. IMO the departure rule should be based upon distance.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

That makes far too much sense to ever happen. IMO the departure rule should be based upon distance.
          I think the reason for the departure rule was to make sure that the student-athletes are given adequate classroom time in order to receive their education. Is there currently a departure exception for when travel to Alaska is involved?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            Why can't you drive through the night with two bus drivers? When I was in high school, we drove straight through to Colorado Springs.
            And got off the bus and played 2 games of Division I college hockey with two more scheduled the next week? We bussed straight thru from Marquette to Daytona Beach with two drivers, but that was for spring break. There is also a difference, budgetary concerns aside, of what is possible to do, and what you wish to do. There also are differences from what the person who doesn't travel with their team on regular basis perceives, and what those who do travel know. I had a guy from the Soo tell me it's a 2 1/2 hour trip to Marquette, when I've made that trip by bus a half dozen times and usually coming in around 3 hours, with as much as 4 1/2 because of weather. He didn't take into account that the bus can't fly 70 mph hour down M-28 and does slow down for Seney and Shingleton and stop for every railroad track. Here's a concern, you can drive straight thru, around 20 hrs worth, get to Huntsville and have a skate, of course you will get very little accomplished at that skate because everyone is worn out from the travel, then all you have is 50 minutes of ice on game day. Have a skate along the way? You'll hit Chicago around 3 am and Indy around 6 local time. Can you get ice in Louisville? These are things that come up.
            Last edited by davyd83; 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I think the reason for the departure rule was to make sure that the student-athletes are given adequate classroom time in order to receive their education. Is there currently a departure exception for when travel to Alaska is involved?
              Yes there is, for Hawaii too

Comment

Yes there is, for Hawaii too
                OK, your argument is better understood.

Were there similar issues in Tech's trips to Colorado?

Comment

OK, your argument is better understood.

Were there similar issues in Tech's trips to Colorado?
                  Tech flies to CC and Denver.

Comment

And got off the bus and played 2 games of Division I college hockey with two more scheduled the next week? We bussed straight thru from Marquette to Daytona Beach with two drivers, but that was for spring break. There is also a difference, budgetary concerns aside, of what is possible to do, and what you wish to do. There also are differences from what the person who doesn't travel with their team on regular basis perceives, and what those who do travel know. I had a guy from the Soo tell me it's a 2 1/2 hour trip to Marquette, when I've made that trip by bus a half dozen times and usually coming in around 3 hours, with as much as 4 1/2 because of weather. He didn't take into account that the bus can't fly 70 mph hour down M-28 and does slow down for Seney and Shingleton and stop for every railroad track. Here's a concern, you can drive straight thru, around 20 hrs worth, get to Huntsville and have a skate, of course you will get very little accomplished at that skate because everyone is worn out from the travel, then all you have is 50 minutes of ice on game day. Have a skate along the way? You'll hit Chicago around 3 am and Indy around 6 local time. Can you get ice in Louisville? These are things that come up.
                    Every team should have one of these.
                    http://www.powerhousecoach.com/coch24int.html
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Tech flies to CC and Denver.
                      My question was related to budget concerns, as is your original question.

Comment

My question was related to budget concerns, as is your original question.
                        Sorry, it seemed your question was related to the 48 hour rule. Budgetarily for Tech it would be pretty much a wash, replacing Denver and CC with Fairbanks and Huntsville. Of course they will also lose their WCHA Final Five revenue, and that will be significant., as will it be for Mankato and Anchorage.
                        Last edited by davyd83; 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                          Every team should have one of these.
                          http://www.powerhousecoach.com/coch24int.html
                          Those are great. We had similar, though not quite as elaborate, busses with a couple of the minor pro teams I worked with. The models show there are gonna run you some serious cash! Like a half mil or more.

Comment

A 10-team WCHA could be broken up into these designated rivals:

UAA-UAF
                            BSU-MSU
                            MTU-NMU
                            LSSU-FSU
                            BGSU-UAH

Over a 4-year rotation (example MTU) you'd travel to 2 of UAA, UAF, UAH 3 of 4 years and travel to all 3 once in 4 years...
                            Year 1:
                            Home - UAA, UAF, BSU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, BGSU
                            Away - UAA, BSU, MSU, NMU, LSSU, BGSU, UAH
                            Year 2:
                            Home - UAF, BSU, MSU, NMU, FSU, BGSU, UAH
                            Away - UAA, UAF, MSU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, UAH
                            Year 3:
                            Home - UAA, BSU, MSU, NMU, LSSU, BGSU, UAH
                            Away - UAA, UAF, BSU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, BGSU
                            Year 4:
                            Home - UAA, UAF, MSU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, UAH
                            Away - UAF, BSU, MSU, NMU, FSU, BGSU, UAH

BGSU would end up make the 3 trips more often...twice in 4 years.
                            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I guess then, the question is, does NMU actually want to be D-I in hockey?

As I look at NMU's schedule *, there were no flights this season, correct? Last year, there was one (Alaska); they year before one (Alaska); none in '08-'09; and one (Alaska again) the year prior. Compare that to, say, Bemidji State. This year, it's 3 flights (DU, CC and UAA); last year (the first in the WCHA) it was 1 (DU). That was a massive improvement over the CHA days, when BSU had this: '09-'10 - 4 flights (UAH, Niagara, RMU and UAH); '08-'09 was 5 flights (UAH, Niagara, RMU, RMU (no, not double counting, it was RMU twice on the road in three weeks), and Niagara - yep, again). Not only that, but that was the Frozen 4 year...; '07-'08 was 5 (UAH, Wayne State, Niagara, UAH, RMU).

So, to sum up, NMU has had an average of 0.6 flights a year for the last 5, and BSU has had an average of 3.6.

Again - does NMU want to play D-I hockey or pinch pennies and drop the sport? I understand that college budgets have taken a massive hit over the last few years, but the reality of playing D-I athletics demands that the money to play at a realistic level is maintained. What does that mean in this argument? NMU (and Tech and FSU) will have to fly to Alaska, UAA and likely UAH if they are added to the conference. As Shirtless points out, there is a way to "only" double NMU's flight travel budget most years (in conference anyway) and occasionally triple it **. Is it impossible to make up that difference - especially if UAH does kick in a travel subsidy *** ? There is your question. If the answer is "no," than maybe NMU should look at joining whatever conference Finlandia is in and bus to every game.

* - I decided to go conference games only
                              ** - and it should be pointed out that while there are extra flights, there are fewer bus trips. In other-words, let's say that a bus trip costs "X" and a flight "Y," the added cost isn't Y, it's Y-X
                              *** - what about UAA and UAF's subsidy?
                              Last edited by moose97; 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM.
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I've done a lot of research on the transportation issues. A few facts. most schools do not own the busses, they charter them. the average cost per mile is over 3 dollars nationally. Anything over 8 hours requires a relief driver, Add dollars per mile. Flying is quite expensive and you can't get discounted tickets, but is generally worth it from a team rest point of view.

When St Lawrence came to Tech last year, it was a 17 hour bus ride each way.

I'd love to have UAH in the WCHA, and I think it can be done. A subsidy would really help. Huntsville does have a nice airport. Keep at it UAH fans.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X