Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/10/23/...ram-on-monday/

It's been mostly fun, y'all.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: Western Michigan 7, UAH 1

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
      This from Paul McCann, PA voice of the Nashville Predators: "UAH - What's the Holdup?"
      http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=38806
      This from Paul today:

A new Chancellor takes over at the end of this week. As of Friday, Dr. Portera can slink back off to whatever part of Alabama he came from and pass off a university that, quite frankly, is worse than when he found it… a thirty year tradition of hockey gone with the stroke of a pen. Congratulations Doctor… I hope you are happy with the decision you made, I hope you are pleased that you negatively impacted the lives of these fine student athletes. I hope you can rest well knowing that you ripped out a big piece of not just the UAH community, but the entire Huntsville area with one uninformed and ill-reasoned decision.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Well, as a UAH alumnus (Class of 74) and UAH Hockey fan and supporter since the first season (79-80), all I can say is @#%**&^$#%$^*()((&^%$#@@!@%&!!!

Guido should pay a visit to Portera... A person with a completely personal vendetta against all things UAH and a track record to prove it. A series of unfortunate events led to the perfect storm that allowed Portera to kill a storied program all while paying lip-service to it. Not the least of which was the demise of the CHA and the rejection by the CCHA (mostly by Anastos' refusal to support us). There is a huge difference in the way Bruce McLeod handled the situation resulting from the CHA's demise compared to Anastos. Losing the CHA as a route to the NCAA's and losing the CCHA as a home has cost us dearly in recruiting which is obvious to long time watchers of this program. Of course, had we not been in this vulnerable position, we would not have been so easy to kill.

Other factors were the firing of a UAH President who totally supported DI hockey and what it could do for a university and whose vision for UAH to become "big-time" was pushed a little, well, a lot too fast ticking off students and faculty alike. Then, the death of our AD who worked hard for the moment we could find a home and security. Also, the loss of the only member of the UA Board from UAH due to realignment didn't help. The UA Board hired a firm to find a new president for UAH while the Chancellor (Portera) self-appointed himself to Interim President (which at the time seemed just fine). Then, all of a sudden he announced that a complete review of the UAH Athletics Department would be undertaken and that no sport would be exempt and that hockey may not be sustainable (the first clue). "Outside" people were brought in to analyze the athletics department, none of which knew a thing about hockey. He also announced that the "decision" would be his and his alone and that he would make it before the new president took office on November 1, 2011. When have you ever seen an Interim-President do anything other than maintain the status-quo until the permanent president takes office? Also, as far as I know, the only thing Portera did while Interim-President was kill our beloved hockey team.

The appearances of propriety were barely kept visible as it became clearly apparent that the "which-hunt" had begun. Trips were taken in the name of seeing if hockey could be sustained but the truth be known, you get the answers you want by asking the "right" questions. For example: Which of the following questions do you think gives you the ammunition to kill a program on a financial basis?
        1. What does it take ($) to run a "viable" DI hockey program?
        2. What does it take ($)to run a "Highly Competitive" (read that as near-elite) DI hockey program?
        Now, before you answer that question keep in mind that this was asked of a currently "Highly Competitive" program with their own on-campus rink that included the costs of running the building etc. (Think in terms of, uh, like Miami for example). You can also ask that same question of a league commissioner(s) and get a similar answer. You can also NOT ask pertinent questions and form your own conclusions (since refuted by said commissioner). In other words, if you want to kill a program, lies always get in the way of the truth. UAH, the red-headed step-child of the UA system and obviously hated by Portera got stomped on once again. His statement that he's not sure you can even run a DI program in a DII athletic department shows his complete lack of understanding of the subject as probably half, if not more, of the DI hockey programs in existance are run out of DII athletic departments. In-fact, we've been doing it for years and years!

There is a littany of examples of Portera's obstruction of UAH doing or getting anything of substance or appearing on the national stage. Having a DI program at "little" UAH and being nationally known as the "Hockey Capital of the South" has been a thorn in his side for years. He has finally pulled it out without a bit of thought to the student-athletes, students, fans, community, or community leaders to include the Chamber of Commerce that has used UAH hockey as a recruiting tool for many years.

Back to the president search, a perfect potential president was found right in our own institution (Dr. Griffin sp?) but suddenly, during the search by the hired company Portera announces his hand-picked person for President. A person that worked for Portera at Mississippi State. What a coincidence, a perfect Portera puppet. Game over for president. Presidential head-hunter company, go home. Now lets hire a new AD and tell him that he can't do a single thing to promote UAH hockey until the final decision is made. A decision that, in our hearts, we knew was already made when the hockey analysis was announced. It was hard to believe but your gut kept screaming at you anyway... as it turns out, with good reason.

Portera telling us that hockey would still be a prominent sport for UAH at the club level is a statement that shows his complete and utter lack of understanding of just what this sport is!!! That is tantamount to turning the Crimson Tide (his sacred cow) into a touch-football program and telling Tide fans that its still significant!!!! Can you actually believe that? Further misunderstanding of hockey occured at the last coach's luncheon when the new AD said that if the decision to drop DI hockey came to be (prophetic, huh?) that he would get right on "hiring a coach and recruiting players"??? When is the last time you saw an athletic department involved in a club sport? I'd be shocked if the club team isn't relegated to the Iceplex. After DI, I don't see the VBC opening their arms to what amounts to high school hockey.

Yes fellow college hockey fans, a single man totally unconnected to the school, community, and area, with an obvious agenda, snubbed civic and business leaders, fans, the rest of the administration, students and faculty, and most of all the student-athletes, succeeded in killing the only DI hockey program south of the Mason-Dixon line. A program with 5 National Championships, several regular season championships, 2 CHA Tournament Championships, 2 NCAA Tournament appearances, Hobey Baker candidates, and 3 players to the NHL. All in the guise of finances. The same person who thinks a $75 million dollar stadium for UAB football is financially wise when UAH hockey has outdrawn UAB football on occasion!

Personally, I'm devastated. I've stayed quiet during this whole ordeal as I would have probably got myself into trouble saying what I really thought. I will always remember the great fans from other teams that I have met over the years on the road with the team and here in our own barn. I finally ended up being the only person to attend each and every CHA Tournament and tournament game. Most of you that know me recognize me as the photo-geek shooting all things UAH and for ten years CHA. I've met some great fans, parents, trainers, equipment managers, coaches, etc. and will always cherish those memories. While I still have this final season to shoot, this is pretty much my farewell... Peace out!
        Doug
        UAH 1974
        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

http://www.al.com/huntsvilletimes/pageone/wednesday.pdf

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...ted_for_u.html

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...ackground.html

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...nt_was_key.php
          Last edited by tnlong; 12-08-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Back in the last week in October when I really did think that we were done, someone jokingly quoted Animal House to me: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" I'm amused that the newspaper coverage came on 12/7.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

All right, let's get back to some games and not talk about whether we have a program after this year. Friday at 7, Saturday at 3. Not a bad way to spend New Year's Eve, eh?

GFM <-- going to practice this week.
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                All right, let's get back to some games and not talk about whether we have a program after this year. Friday at 7, Saturday at 3. Not a bad way to spend New Year's Eve, eh?

GFM <-- going to practice this week.
                Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never come to mind? Not, really. We're playing Mercyhurst.

I've been waiting all week for this.

CHARGE ON!

Michael
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

UAH 3 - Denver 2

http://www.uahchargers.com/news/2012...106122515.aspx

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2012/01/...-stuns-denver/
                  Last edited by tnlong; 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Fabulous. If there's anything to be said about this year's team, with all the issues regarding whether the program has a future and with victories difficult to come by, is that they work hard. And last night, it really paid off.

Congrats to Mac, Clarke, Coach Luongo and the whole team!
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Way to go.

My wife and I "wasted" a drive from Omaha to Nashville to see two "guaranteed" wins against UAH. My best friend, who lives in Birmingham, AL (who is from Norfolk, NE), drove up with his wife and met us there to to go the worst attended games of all time with us.

I'm glad you guys found somebody else to beat up on besides us.

Any chance you can get Saunders to stay?

Coach Blais said he felt we owed it to you to play you. I hope our benevolence is at an end.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                        Any chance you can get Saunders to stay?
                        I truly doubt it. We'll be happy to beat you with whoever we have here in the TN Valley next year.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/01/...ystem_c_1.html

If you had offered a bet back in October as to whose tenure would last longer, UAH hockey or Mack Portera, I think most of us would've sadly bet on Mack Portera.

He's not being forced out, but I'm sure as hell not sad to see him go. Bye bye, *******.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I have been loaned a UAH jersey for this weekend against UMD.
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                              I have been loaned a UAH jersey for this weekend against UMD.
                              Nice. Thanks for the support.
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/01/...ystem_c_1.html

If you had offered a bet back in October as to whose tenure would last longer, UAH hockey or Mack Portera, I think most of us would've sadly bet on Mack Portera.

He's not being forced out, but I'm sure as hell not sad to see him go. Bye bye, *******.

GFM
                                Which makes hit cut and run strategy with UAH hockey even more chicken ****. Good riddance!
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X