Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Story from that other college hockey site

Alabama-Huntsville, currently college hockey's only Division I independent program, is in imminent danger of being dropped as a varsity sport, unless $500,000 per year can be raised, according to alumni.

The university has not indicated as such, but word has gotten out through alumni that have met with UAH officials.

Alabama-Huntsville is not an independent by choice. After the demise of College Hockey America two years ago, the other schools in the league found new places to play — Robert Morris and Niagara in Atlantic Hockey, and Bemidji State in the WCHA. But Huntsville was denied in a bid to move to the CCHA, and has been an independent ever since.

Even in the rapidly shifting college hockey landscape, which has seen no fewer than 18 schools pledging to shift conferences in 2013-14, there has not been room in the discussion for Alabama-Huntsville. For better or for worse, no league is willing to make the travel commitment necessary to add the Chargers, and they have not been included in any of the talks.
    More at link.

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2011/09/07/alab...sroots-effort/ Link at this site. I was irked. Mackinder and I know each other reasonably well, and he just opened the door for me.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

All right. Who wants to actually talk hockey? I do think that the team will be better than last year's group, but they're going to be awfully young.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Other then your first couple of games this year i will be pulling for your team. Good luck
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
            Brophy told a player that if it were up to him he'd be on the phone and/or on the plane to secure them a conference but that he was told not to. This is all on Portera (unless Brophy just deflecting the blame).
            Brophy's a used-car salesman. He's been sitting on his hands about hockey since he got to Huntsville. You can ask anyone connected to the program and they'll tell you its true. Somehow I don't think that all came from Potera. If it's not basketball or softball, he's hardly interested.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's Portera. I am glad that member institutions don't have a ton of responsibilities at the Frozen Four, because we've seen turnover of the entire sports information department [or will have by the end of September] in the last few months.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

But ... hockey. Size-wise, the only truly impressive guy is Vanderlugt, who looks taller than 6'3" to me. They all look to be in pretty good shape, which is always a concern for guys coming in that haven't had to put in the work that you need in college. We've got a lot of forwards that have scored a lot in juniors, so I'm hoping that we see that transition into goals in Huntsville. A good core in Allan, Cseter, Easton, the Geoffrions, and Roy should give Lou some options up front in late-game situations. I'm curious to see if Jamie will play left wing or center this year. I am expecting center given that Cseter is the only other experienced pivot the team has, but I would love to see Jamie get the chance to water-bug around the net and snipe a few.

I have concerns on the blue line. Losing Ryan and Matt both really hurts. The only upper-class defensemen are deBruyn and Durnie, and while I think they're going to both be better [especially Curtis], the boys go from four experienced guys to two. Gatt, Uusivirta, and Hagen all have to step it up.

I haven't seen Johnny, but CJ and Clarke look relaxed and confident, moreso than they did last fall.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Oh, I didn't mention captains. The voting hasn't been done, but I expect C deBruyn A SGeoffrion A Durnie/Easton, maybe both. I could be wrong.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Charger Hockey practice with the coaches begins tomorrow (Thursday 9/15) at the IcePlex. They should hit the ice at 8:00 am and be there to around 9:30 am. Anyone that can get by should go check them out and show your support. They'll appreciate it. Due to the Big Springs Jam having a stage inside the arena this year there will be no ice in the VBC until, hopefully, the Thursday before the first weekend we play. Could even be Friday but hoping for earlier. Translation, none of the freshmen will likely see home ice (and therefore home ice bounces) before the visiting team to open the season. I'll be at the practice tomorrow and will try to post a couple of pics for you Charger fans...

On another front, the Alumni Relations lady took my wife and I out for a real nice lunch this week (give money and you get a free lunch) and in our discussions we let it be known that if DI hockey goes away, so does our pitiful few thousand dollars. I hope she hears that from alot of other alumni, and that it gets back to the "right" ears??? I guess if DI hockey goes away, so does our free lunches... PLEASE let me keep the free lunches!!!

PS. I'm betting on Curtis for the big "C" too...
                    Doug
                    UAH 1974
                    Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                    Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                    Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                    Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                    Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                      Charger Hockey practice with the coaches begins tomorrow (Thursday 9/15) at the IcePlex. They should hit the ice at 8:00 am and be there to around 9:30 am. Anyone that can get by should go check them out and show your support. They'll appreciate it. Due to the Big Springs Jam having a stage inside the arena this year there will be no ice in the VBC until, hopefully, the Thursday before the first weekend we play. Could even be Friday but hoping for earlier. Translation, none of the freshmen will likely see home ice (and therefore home ice bounces) before the visiting team to open the season. I'll be at the practice tomorrow and will try to post a couple of pics for you Charger fans...

On another front, the Alumni Relations lady took my wife and I out for a real nice lunch this week (give money and you get a free lunch) and in our discussions we let it be known that if DI hockey goes away, so does our pitiful few thousand dollars. I hope she hears that from alot of other alumni, and that it gets back to the "right" ears??? I guess if DI hockey goes away, so does our free lunches... PLEASE let me keep the free lunches!!!

PS. I'm betting on Curtis for the big "C" too...
                      It doesn't matter what the issue is, or what school it is. Alumni money talks. I know I saw it with a few issues at RPI. If any of the other posters here are donating alumni of UAH, or know anyone who does donate, Doug's lead is one to follow if you wish to still see a hockey team next year. Even if you've only donated $1 per year and need to send an e-mail to tell Alumni Relations this.

Comment

*listens to the crickets chirp*

Nothing? Seriously? Have we already conceded by not even mentioning that there was a game, two even?

Geez...

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                          *listens to the crickets chirp*

Nothing? Seriously? Have we already conceded by not even mentioning that there was a game, two even?

Geez...
                          Hey, there was a series this past weekend!

I watched Saturday's game online. What stuck out to me was the missed opportunities on the power play, not by the Lakers' penalty kill but by our own players. Three UAH power plays were gone after less than a minute because of a Charger penalty -- that was frustrating. Saunders seemed to play a good game, and UAH was outshot by only 8 instead of the 20 or so shots we seemed to be used to last season.

Was at a wedding on Sunday so I didn't see Sunday. Apparently we didn't a power play at all, which is odd.

Anyone have better accounts, particularly as eyewitnesses?
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

BGSU accepts WCHA invite. I know it's not going so hot down in Huntsville, but the WCHA is now at nine. Not ideal. Time to bring the Chargers on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                              BGSU accepts WCHA invite. I know it's not going so hot down in Huntsville, but the WCHA is now at nine. Not ideal. Time to bring the Chargers on board.
                              Granted, being in Pittsburgh I am about as far from the fray as I could be, but I don't see that happening. I have a gut feeling that 10th slot is "reserved" for Minnesota-Moorhead, should the time come.

I for one, am a little disappointed Bowling Green didn't keep the CCHA flag and bring in UAH and the "AHA-4" along for the ride. That could've been a fun conference, and one that could've had an "open door" expansion policy.

IMHO, I can only see this positively shaking out for UAH in one way: When the rumored Notre Dame to Hockey East shoe drops tomorrow, the secondary rumor of RPI going with them happens after that. Then the tertiary rumor of RIT filling the RPI void in ECAC gives UAH the conference slot they need. And with Atlantic Hockey being the "cost containment" league, that might be the financial middleground that administration could live with to keep the team going.
                              Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post
                                IMHO, I can only see this positively shaking out for UAH in one way: When the rumored Notre Dame to Hockey East shoe drops tomorrow, the secondary rumor of RPI going with them happens after that. Then the tertiary rumor of RIT filling the RPI void in ECAC gives UAH the conference slot they need. And with Atlantic Hockey being the "cost containment" league, that might be the financial middleground that administration could live with to keep the team going.
                                Convincing the RPI administration to let us go to Hockey East is tougher than convincing Portera to keep you guys around (he still is, right?). Two previous times the administration (although a different one now) has said no, and has cost us two great coaches. Obviously if it means a spot for you guys, I'd certainly love to see all of the moves. Either way, I hope your team finds a home.

Comment

Working...
                                X