Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Quickly followed by some yammerhead wailing about forming a SECHC.
    They would need 3 of them for anybody to really take that talk seriously.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
      Can I just say that this entire thread is massively depressing? Seriously. I can't say that what I'm seeing out of our new athletic director is filling me with much confidence in the future of the program.
      So is the situation. Chancellor is hanging the "stepchild school" out to dry.
      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
      2006 Time Person of the Year
      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

The good news is that there are some very dedicated people with a fair amount of influence who are working hard and who have garnered the support of city, county, state, and "monied" interested/concerned parties. It's safe to say that any possible "negative" decisions at UAH will not be made without at least some "negative" consequences for those making them.
        Last edited by tnlong; 08-23-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
          The good news is that there are some very dedicated people with a fair amount of influence who are working hard and who have garnered the support of city, county, state, and "monied" interested/concerned parties. It's safe to say that any possible "negative" decisions at UAH will not be made without at least some "negative" consequences for those making them.
          I was heartened by the email from Nathan Bowen this morning that mentions all of these things. There's a lot of movement below the surface. After a few days of being pessimistic, I'm back to optimistic.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

The CCHA is probably gone:

http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1112/201108/aug25wcm.php

Don't like it, but what can one do. That pretty much locks up any expansion possibilities outside of the NCHC and the Big Ten. Also, it throws one more at large bid into the Tournament pool and takes it away from the smaller schools.

Bring in UAH!
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I hate to say it, but with the CCHA-WCHA merger appearing imminent, I think the fat lady is starting to sing. Short of Western Michigan or Bowling Green (or both) staying as the sole CCHA school(s), and then adding Niagara, Bobby Mo, Canisius, and Mercyhurst, AND our boys, then a small conference with (hopefully?) an auto-bid still in place (I forget if that would be a possibility) could (maybe) work. I guess there may be slim hope, too, that with 6 WCHA teams and 5 CCHA teams that the last piece of the puzzle could be UAH... hope... I just think it's become abundantly clear that the college hockey landscape has no interest in the Chargers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm totally wrong here, but...

Comment

I just realized its 7 WCHA and 5 CCHA teams. What little hope I had is withering away fast.

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
                  I just realized its 7 WCHA and 5 CCHA teams. What little hope I had is withering away fast.
                  Make that 5 WCHA and 6 CCHA:

WCHA:
                  UAA
                  BSU
                  MTU
                  MSU
                  SCSU

CCHA:
                  UAF
                  BGSU
                  FSU
                  LSSU
                  NMU
                  WMU

I think the question now becomes where Notre Dame ends up and will WMU follow them. If Notre Dame ends up in the NCHC, I'd bet WMU follows. If they go east, WMU will join the WCHA. IMHO, if the WCHA becomes an 11 team league (with WMU), there's a chance UAH could be a 12th, but man, travel is going to suck as is (2 trips to Alaska and some of the longer bus trips will end up ~12-13 hours), not to mention adding a trip to UAH. Plus, it still is a possibility that Moorhead adds hockey, so they would be a much better potential 12th member (travel wise) than UAH.
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I'm starting a movement to get UAH an invitation to the LTHC (also known as the NCHC) based on the fact that they are supposed to be "national" so UAH is in their conference footprint. There has also been a lot of suggestions that Denver and North Dakota started this new league to cut the chaff of the other WCHA teams from the wheat. No offense to UAH, but extending an invitation to the Chargers would show that those worries are unfounded because those programs certainly view UAH as chaff.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      IMHO, if the WCHA becomes an 11 team league (with WMU), there's a chance UAH could be a 12th
                      No there isn't. That's been proven.

Screw the college hockey "community."

Screw Malcolm Portera

Screw EJ Brophy

Screw David Williams

And screw God for taking from us the only man left on the planet with the power and the passion to fight for UAH hockey.

Hell, they're gerrymandering the board of trustees to get rid of Joe Ritch. What else is there to talk about?

I'm convinced that this time next year UAH will be equal in stature to US International in the history of American college hockey.
                      Last edited by MikeAnderson; 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM.
                      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                      2006 Time Person of the Year
                      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                        No there isn't. That's been proven.

Screw the college hockey "community."

Screw Malcolm Portera

Screw EJ Brophy

Screw David Williams

And screw God for taking from us the only man left on the planet with the power and the passion to fight for UAH hockey.

Hell, they're gerrymandering the board of trustees to get rid of Joe Ritch. What else is there to talk about?

I'm convinced that this time next year UAH will be equal in stature to US International in the history of American college hockey.
                        Well what the hell do you want? It sucks for UAH, I hate the idea of the WCHA/CCHA merger, I hate the NCHC and B1G Mistake conferences, but more than likely the NCHC will expand at some point, the WCHA/CCHA leftovers need to protect themselves from that growth. I would have loved to see UAH find a home but when Miami and Ohio State (the 2 closest programs to UAH) join separate conferences that UAH has not chance of joining, its not good.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Well what the hell do you want?
                          The same all fans want, a place to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            I'm starting a movement to get UAH an invitation to the LTHC (also known as the NCHC) based on the fact that they are supposed to be "national" so UAH is in their conference footprint. There has also been a lot of suggestions that Denver and North Dakota started this new league to cut the chaff of the other WCHA teams from the wheat. No offense to UAH, but extending an invitation to the Chargers would show that those worries are unfounded because those programs certainly view UAH as chaff.
                            I like that idea. Too bad that would never fly. It would really be a hoot however after all the posturing that WMU had done this summer to be ND's travel partner, they get left in the combined WCHA-CCHA and Huntsville goes to the NCHA.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Sigh...
                              Doug
                              UAH 1974
                              Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                              Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                              Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                              Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                              Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
                                I hate to say it, but with the CCHA-WCHA merger appearing imminent, I think the fat lady is starting to sing.
                                No, but she's got a glass of warm water in front of her and is doing vocal practices.
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X