Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    1) is fixed by actually joining the conference; 2) is fixed by virtue of the addition moving the league to an even number of teams rather than odd. I realize you're pessimistic after prior disappointments, but I don't think it's warranted here.
    Why should I have hope and faith in something that's rarely panned out, especially when UAH was told no before?

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    However, I have to wonder if the UAH administration will be willing to pay the nWCHA league fees and endure the same expense as the other nWCHA programs now that the nWCHA's financial dynamics have changed.
    We will gladly pay the league fees. It's not as if we've never been in a conference. The CHA never had more than 24 conference games, and most of the time it was 20. That's still a lot of dates to fill, and most of them were on the road. This year, we played Western [bus], Providence [fly], Merriack-Lowell-UNH [fly], Mankato [I think bus], Bemidji [fly], Denver [fly], Duluth [fly], Maine [fly], Miami [bus]. That's the most fly-heavy schedule that I can remember us playing, mainly because we had three Eastern trips and trips to Denver and UMD, where we usually have just the one trip to a big WCHA school where we end up flying. We can handle the travel. We're not complaining about the travel; hell, the travel gets easier if we play in the WCHA than it is here in the Thug Independent Life.

The only question in my mind is how exorbitant the travel subsidy is, if there even is one.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      The only question in my mind is how exorbitant the travel subsidy is, if there even is one.
      The CCHA had UAF over a barrel and made them pay for everyones trips to Alaska. Twenty-five round trip airline tickets. Even to NMU and UNO who joined after UAF was made a member school. UNO got screwed into being in UAF's "travel cluster" when the league became 12 teams.

My understanding for UAA was the WCHA made them do the same for the first decade or so, and then weaned down to just cost assistance (just 10 or 15 airline tickets tops). New conference foes MSU-M, UNO, and BSU had to pay their own way to Anchorage.

As of right now, I would presume there is ZERO travel subsidy for the five new WCHA schools (per the existing membership rules), but that is likely to be one of the topics hammered out this summer by the new member schools.

We'll likely know a lot more after April 29th...
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Looks like UConn to HEA is all but a done deal. Now that makes nWCHA and AHA as the two conferences with odd numbers...

http://www.ctnow.com/videogallery/69...03#pl-62894825

Does Navy finally make the jump and go AHA? Will AHA give UAH the time of day if they call to ask?
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          New conference foes MSU-M, UNO, and BSU had to pay their own way to Anchorage.

As of right now, I would presume there is ZERO travel subsidy for the five new WCHA schools (per the existing membership rules), but that is likely to be one of the topics hammered out this summer by the new member schools.
          Don't know where you got that info, but UAA continued to offer the same subsidy to all schools the last two years (including when BSU and UNO went north. As it was explained to me, the subsidy wasn't going to go down by adding two new teams because UAA still had the same number of home conference games that they were responsible for subsidizing (no matter who comes, there are 7 home conference weekends). It did not matter if they subsidized travel for UMinn or CC or BSU or UNO. The subsidy was the same all 7 weekends of the season.
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

1) is fixed by actually joining the conference; 2) is fixed by virtue of the addition moving the league to an even number of teams rather than odd. I realize you're pessimistic after prior disappointments, but I don't think it's warranted here.

Powers &8^]
            I agree 100% with Geof. If they won't come here when it's their choice - probably due to costs - do you honestly think they would vote to invite UAH which would commit them to come here on a reguar basis???? No way in hell...

Comment

Why should I have hope and faith in something that's rarely panned out, especially when UAH was told no before?

We will gladly pay the league fees. It's not as if we've never been in a conference. The CHA never had more than 24 conference games, and most of the time it was 20. That's still a lot of dates to fill, and most of them were on the road. This year, we played Western [bus], Providence [fly], Merriack-Lowell-UNH [fly], Mankato [I think bus], Bemidji [fly], Denver [fly], Duluth [fly], Maine [fly], Miami [bus]. That's the most fly-heavy schedule that I can remember us playing, mainly because we had three Eastern trips and trips to Denver and UMD, where we usually have just the one trip to a big WCHA school where we end up flying. We can handle the travel. We're not complaining about the travel; hell, the travel gets easier if we play in the WCHA than it is here in the Thug Independent Life.

GFM
              They actually bussed to Merrimack/Lowell/UNH over thanksgiving, and bussed to Mankato/BSU since it was during break and they stayed up north between games.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                Looks like UConn to HEA is all but a done deal. Now that makes nWCHA and AHA as the two conferences with odd numbers...

http://www.ctnow.com/videogallery/69...03#pl-62894825

Does Navy finally make the jump and go AHA? Will AHA give UAH the time of day if they call to ask?
                Merrimack beat writer Mike McMahon says that report is wrong. UConn has not been accepted by Hockey East (yet).

https://***********/#!/MikeMcMahonET...01442646257664
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                  They actually bussed to Merrimack/Lowell/UNH over thanksgiving, and bussed to Mankato/BSU since it was during break and they stayed up north between games.
                  Aw hell, I even looked at the schedule and remembered that Mankato/Bemidji was a bus trip because they stayed. I remember reading tweets about that one. I must not have known about the Thanksgiving trip. I should have tried to hop the bus on that one.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    Don't know where you got that info, but UAA continued to offer the same subsidy to all schools the last two years (including when BSU and UNO went north.
                    Thanks for the correction, I apparently had incorrect information when it was explained the travel costs a few years back (and applied it to the expansion a few years ago). Maybe the memory of recalling stuff from college is starting to fade.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                      I agree 100% with Geof. If they won't come here when it's their choice - probably due to costs - do you honestly think they would vote to invite UAH which would commit them to come here on a reguar basis???? No way in hell...
                      You think AHA teams would fly out to Air Force on a regular basis if they weren't in the conference? Of course not. Yet there they are, in the conference. I don't see any reason UAH would be any different.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I explained why already, but you're more interested in "Woe is me" than in listening, I guess.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          The CCHA had UAF over a barrel and made them pay for everyones trips to Alaska. Twenty-five round trip airline tickets. Even to NMU and UNO who joined after UAF was made a member school. UNO got screwed into being in UAF's "travel cluster" when the league became 12 teams.

My understanding for UAA was the WCHA made them do the same for the first decade or so, and then weaned down to just cost assistance (just 10 or 15 airline tickets tops). New conference foes MSU-M, UNO, and BSU had to pay their own way to Anchorage.

We'll likely know a lot more after April 29th...
                          Travel subsidies will continue to both Alaska schools for all WCHA members.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I explained why already, but you're more interested in "Woe is me" than in listening, I guess.
                            I hear you addressing the travel issue, and I agree that they'd do it if they wanted us in the league. That's obvious. What's not obvious is why they'd want to add a long-bus/fly date to replace either UConn or RIT. Are they interested only to fill a hole? I thought that would happen with the CCHA, and look where that got us.

I'm not being "Woe is me". I'm being a realist about the situation. Maybe they're interested and we've been talking behind the scenes; if we are, I'm sure that I'll get a phone call telling me to shut up.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Powers &8^]
                              Geof is right on. Conferences are not lining up to invite Huntsville in. The situation is very precarious. I agree with Geof that UAH's chances of joining the WCHA are 50/50 at best, and that may actually be a very optimistic thought. No one is jumping through hoops to add another long and costly trip. No one in the CCHA shed a tear when Nebraska-Omaha took their program to the more geographically friendly WCHA. There is such thing as being a realist.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Powers &8^]
                                The pessimism is definitely warranted. There are a number of WCHA schools with objections to the addition of UAH. And unless those objections can be rectified, the chances are slim.

Comment

Working...
                                X