X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 NHL Off-Season: The Puck Boat edition

Originally posted by UNH GH View Post
    I've decided to embark on a little project. Starting Thursday I'm going to count down my favorite Bruins victories this season, one a day. The 62 wins will take me right up to October 6th, and the start of the new season.

I'm going through and ranking the games now. It's time consuming but incredibly fun to relive the season.
    Hmmmmm, what game will be #!????

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
      Hmmmmm, what game will be #!????
      The blown three-goal lead against the Rangers at the Garden...

oh wait...victories
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

I hope you don't post about your favorite Bruin victory rankings in this thread, because there are many of us that aren't Bruins fans, so we really don't care. Start a new thread so we don't have to scroll through it.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I hope you don't post about your favorite Bruin victory rankings in this thread, because there are many of us that aren't Bruins fans, so we really don't care. Start a new thread so we don't have to scroll through it.
          This. Otherwise I'm going to cut a deal with Red Wing fans to post our favorite San Jose-Detroit playoff series moments at some future point (and since we've had 5 of the ****ers now) which is undoubtedly something Eastern Conference fans couldn't give two ****s less about it.

In other news, Shea Weber's arbitration was today. No announcements yet.

Edit: First time a team elected arbitration case actually occurred. Preds aren't exactly covering themselves in glory on this considering Suter and Rinne's contracts expire next season.
          Last edited by bronconick; 08-02-2011, 04:03 PM.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            This. Otherwise I'm going to cut a deal with Red Wing fans to post our favorite San Jose-Detroit playoff series moments at some future point (and since we've had 5 of the ****ers now) which is undoubtedly something Eastern Conference fans couldn't give two ****s less about it.

In other news, Shea Weber's arbitration was today. No announcements yet.

Edit: First time a team elected arbitration case actually occurred. Preds aren't exactly covering themselves in glory on this considering Suter and Rinne's contracts expire next season.
            The two sides were allegedly 3.5M apart. That's not good.

Comment

Originally posted by OvahInDovah View Post
              The two sides were allegedly 3.5M apart. That's not good.
              If the gap really is that wide, I'm guessing that he'll get a one-year deal through arbitration, then he's off to get an $8-10 million/year payday from a big market team when the cap (likely) goes up yet again next year.

As long as the cap keeps going up, the idea that it helps the small market teams with strict internal budgets will continue to become more and more of a farce.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                If the gap really is that wide, I'm guessing that he'll get a one-year deal through arbitration, then he's off to get an $8-10 million/year payday from a big market team when the cap (likely) goes up yet again next year.

As long as the cap keeps going up, the idea that it helps the small market teams with strict internal budgets will continue to become more and more of a farce.
                He'll still be an RFA next year. Doesn't turn 27 until August 14th, and he didn't play enough games in his first year for it to count.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

He'll still be an RFA next year. Doesn't turn 27 until August 14th, and he didn't play enough games in his first year for it to count.
                  Ah, so there is time for Preds management to cave and offer him more, which could cause them to lose Suter next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Weber asked for 8.5M. The Preds submitted 4.75M.

Im going to guess be gets 7M.

Comment

I think part of it is that they're talking past each other. Nashville wants a long term deal to prove to Suter/Rinne that they're serious about building something, but Weber wants a short deal to see if they're actually willing to spend the money to move the team past being a 5/7 seed playoff team. I don't think he wants to stay there for 7 years if they don't plan on spending past the low/mid point of the system regardless of how many games they win.

On top of that, Nashville probably should have dealt Suter like the Wild did Burns this offseason for some younger scoring that will stick around more than 1 more year. Preferably out east to a contender, because as things stand he's probably going to get in his car and drive right up to Detroit and that's a double whammy to Pred fans. (and an irritation to the rest of us who have been impatiently waiting for Lidstrom to retire so the Wings can follow the Avalanche into obsolescence.)
                      Last edited by bronconick; 08-02-2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

My Four Favorite teams:
                        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

No worries, that'd be stupid. No point to do that and clutter up this thread.

IF anyone's interested, I'd start a new thread. I was just doing this for personal fun, and posting it on my Facebook perhaps.
                          Last edited by UNH GH; 08-03-2011, 04:40 AM.
                          UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

I think part of it is that they're talking past each other. Nashville wants a long term deal to prove to Suter/Rinne that they're serious about building something, but Weber wants a short deal to see if they're actually willing to spend the money to move the team past being a 5/7 seed playoff team. I don't think he wants to stay there for 7 years if they don't plan on spending past the low/mid point of the system regardless of how many games they win.

On top of that, Nashville probably should have dealt Suter like the Wild did Burns this offseason for some younger scoring that will stick around more than 1 more year. Preferably out east to a contender, because as things stand he's probably going to get in his car and drive right up to Detroit and that's a double whammy to Pred fans. (and an irritation to the rest of us who have been impatiently waiting for Lidstrom to retire so the Wings can follow the Avalanche into obsolescence.)
                            One of the interesting things about this is that because the team elected arbitration, they can't do it again next year...meaning Nashville can't protect Shea after his one year arbitration awarded contract is up. He'll be a RFA again after this season, and if someone wants to poach him, there's really nothing Nashville can do.

Comment

Originally posted by OvahInDovah View Post
                              One of the interesting things about this is that because the team elected arbitration, they can't do it again next year...meaning Nashville can't protect Shea after his one year arbitration awarded contract is up. He'll be a RFA again after this season, and if someone wants to poach him, there's really nothing Nashville can do.
                              I'm not sure Weber will sign an offer sheet, though. If the offer isn't an Ehrhoff contract on steroids (20 million in the first year and like a $7 million cap hit) I just chuckle and match it and tell him to enjoy his next 8 years in Nashville.

Comment

Preferably out east to a contender, because as things stand he's probably going to get in his car and drive right up to Detroit and that's a double whammy to Pred fans. (and an irritation to the rest of us who have been impatiently waiting for Lidstrom to retire so the Wings can follow the Avalanche into obsolescence.)
                                I'll agree that they'll enter rebuilding mode when Lidstrom retires (Holland has hinted at it himself), but obsolescence? I doubt it, unless the Illitches sell the team within the next 5 years, or the old man has a senile moment and farks up his next GM hire whenever Holland decides he's calling it a career.

They'll likely have a period of years where the playoff appearances streak will probably end and they'll finish 5-10 instead of leading the division. If they move East, I might even argue that the 'fall' will be a bit softer. Beyond that depends on other factors, but I doubt they go the way of the Oilers and Pens and tank the team three straight years just to get a bunch of top picks. Mike Illitch has too much money and too much pride to pull that trick as long as he owns the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X