X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 2011

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Portland hospital sued for delivering baby with Down Syndrome.
    This is the future of our entitlement society. It really creeps me out.
    The Levys filed suit against Legacy Health, claiming that Deborah Levy would have aborted her pregnancy had she known her daughter had the chromosomal abnormality.
    Oh this won't end up being a ****show...
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      Oh this won't end up being a ****show...
      That quote you culled from the article is the one that really got me.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        They apparently want to still be able to say ******** without offending themselves.

Okay, that's enough with the carryover from that other thread.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

As the son of a man who runs group homes for a living, it bothers me too. Heck, my mom even has a cousin with Downs who has lived into his 40s, under the care of his parents. I have seen first-hand that Downs is not the end of someone's ability to live a reasonably happy life, albeit with their share of difficulties along the way. To say you would've aborted the kid, while in the process of suing for $3 million in care costs after the truth comes out, reeks of selfishness.

If they had chosen to end the pregnancy though, it would've been acceptable legally.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            As the son of a man who runs group homes for a living, it bothers me too. Heck, my mom even has a cousin with Downs who has lived into his 40s, under the care of his parents. I have seen first-hand that Downs is not the end of someone's ability to live a reasonably happy life, albeit with their share of difficulties along the way. To say you would've aborted the kid, while in the process of suing for $3 million in care costs after the truth comes out, reeks of selfishness.

If they had chosen to end the pregnancy though, it would've been acceptable legally.
            To me, it sounds like the parents were saying, "Oh, our kid isn't normal, so since we can't kill him, we'll just take the 3 million. Thanks!"
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

To me, it sounds like the parents were saying, "Oh, our kid isn't normal, so since we can't kill him, we'll just take the 3 million. Thanks!"
              Because when the kid is taken to see his doctor, it's important that he arrive in a limited edition Range Rover. And to make certain he's on time to those appointments, both his mother and father will require solid gold Rolexes. And they'll be needing a bigger house to properly tend to his needs. And a summer home.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

To be fair, tending to the needs of a child with Downs does come with additional cost and we have no way of knowing how the money will be spent. I think that it is just as likely that the judge orders the money placed in a trust to be used to cover the future health and care expenses of the child as opposed to giving it directly to the parents. It isn't far to assume and expect that the parents will just frivolously squander the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  To be fair, tending to the needs of a child with Downs does come with additional cost and we have no way of knowing how the money will be spent. I think that it is just as likely that the judge orders the money placed in a trust to be used to cover the future health and care expenses of the child as opposed to giving it directly to the parents. It isn't far to assume and expect that the parents will just frivolously squander the money.
                  Neither is it fair to assume they're humanitarians, interested only in the welfare of their kid. There's no real evidence either way.

Comment

Lengthy, but worth a look:

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      I have a hard time passing judgement on the $ thing. It does cost sig amount to care for a child with Downs esp if it is severe (cardiac issues, GI issues, etc). I don't see that as money grabbing but a way to provide for the child. They have 2 other children to provide for and having a child with those medical needs will suck you dry even if you have good coverage. You still have to pay for the intangibles like losing time out of work for multiple medical appointments, handling when the child is sick (happens way more withthese kids) etd.

I do have a problem with them saying they would abort the child. Even if that was my inner thought I don't think I would tell the world.

Also-I would be shocked if the consent they signed didn't say that no test is 100%. They all have that as a standard.

Comment

Meanwhile, in Waukegan, IL, a very resourceful crook has been screwing "the system" for years. Waukegan, by the way, was the home of Jack Benny.

http://www.suntimes.com/11172101-417...-arrested.html

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          I have a hard time passing judgement on the $ thing. It does cost sig amount to care for a child with Downs esp if it is severe (cardiac issues, GI issues, etc). I don't see that as money grabbing but a way to provide for the child. They have 2 other children to provide for and having a child with those medical needs will suck you dry even if you have good coverage. You still have to pay for the intangibles like losing time out of work for multiple medical appointments, handling when the child is sick (happens way more withthese kids) etd.

I do have a problem with them saying they would abort the child. Even if that was my inner thought I don't think I would tell the world.

Also-I would be shocked if the consent they signed didn't say that no test is 100%. They all have that as a standard.
                          Personally, I am against abortion, but if someone is for it, fine. I am really bothered by the sentiment that I interpreted from this couple, where if the baby was "normal" they would have it, and if not, they would abort it. WTeFF? That is so wrong, pro-choice or not, it makes me sick.

Comment

Personally, I am against abortion, but if someone is for it, fine. I am really bothered by the sentiment that I interpreted from this couple, where if the baby was "normal" they would have it, and if not, they would abort it. WTeFF? That is so wrong, pro-choice or not, it makes me sick.
                            I personally haven't seen anyone make a cold-blooded decision to 'just abort it'. If that is the way this couple is then yea that bothers me and I think it is sick but we only have the reporters words and not the context.

I don't think I could make that choice but we are both seeing this in an abstract way, we aren't in it and what we think we would decide doesn't affect our lives. I used to be much more rigid in my thinking but unfortunately I have seen couples agonize over the decision. Chosing to have a child with multiple medical issues has a lot of ramifications that one would not usually consider. For those who have to consider it the thought of caregiving can be so overwhelming they do not feel capable of the task. Fortunately I have only seen the decision to abort a very few times and that was when the Mum was having issues and it was felt the child was not going to develop in a way to sustain life.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              I personally haven't seen anyone make a cold-blooded decision to 'just abort it'. If that is the way this couple is then yea that bothers me and I think it is sick but we only have the reporters words and not the context.

I don't think I could make that choice but we are both seeing this in an abstract way, we aren't in it and what we think we would decide doesn't affect our lives. I used to be much more rigid in my thinking but unfortunately I have seen couples agonize over the decision. Chosing to have a child with multiple medical issues has a lot of ramifications that one would not usually consider. For those who have to consider it the thought of caregiving can be so overwhelming they do not feel capable of the task. Fortunately I have only seen the decision to abort a very few times and that was when the Mum was having issues and it was felt the child was not going to develop in a way to sustain life.
                              Had a cousin that had severe CP, honestly, she was pretty much a moving vegetable (I know that sounds incredibly crass, I don't mean it that way, just trying to explain how bad it was), an inlaw with Down's, and another cousin that had some sort of general retardation (don't really know much about him, so I hesitate to guess/ask what his condition is).

Never have the families questioned their decision to have these children. They were all far from God-fearing, but they accepted the situation, knowing how difficult it would be. Why? Because they are still people. They deserve life.

Comment

Had a cousin that had severe CP, honestly, she was pretty much a moving vegetable (I know that sounds incredibly crass, I don't mean it that way, just trying to explain how bad it was), an inlaw with Down's, and another cousin that had some sort of general retardation (don't really know much about him, so I hesitate to guess/ask what his condition is).

Never have the families questioned their decision to have these children. They were all far from God-fearing, but they accepted the situation, knowing how difficult it would be. Why? Because they are still people. They deserve life.
                                But should it matter if someone aborts for reason A or B if you agree there should be a choice? If you feel it should legally be a choice you have to take the evil with the less evil do you not?

Comment

Working...
                                X