X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 2011

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    It's been a snowy day (finally). So we went into town after supper to meet some friends for a few beers. Mrs. UR ordered some chocolates for dessert and, after trying some of the sesame one, wondered aloud if it had peanuts. I said, no, we were told it was sesame. When I ate the other half I realized why she asked the question - it tasted like peanuts. So I tried to discretely find the server after a few minutes not wanting to get my wife wound up. The server wasn't sure, the bartender she asked wasn't sure, the boxes apparently weren't fully labeled, but she offered to look it up online. She found the chocolatier, and the particular chocolate in question. No peanuts mentioned. Since I hadn't gone into anaphylactic shock by the time we decided it was time to go, she got a fat tip. Pio will now probably pontificate that I pi55ed my money away thanking her for doing a job she was expected to do anyway.
    I'm happy that incident turned out well for you, truly. But it's also obvious logic isn't your strong suit.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Even if you're being hauled off in an ambulance because you can't breath, because your throat has swelled shut, be sure to tip 20%, lest you be considered an ******* that is trying to show up a working class lady, just so you can brag to your friends on the internet years later.
      Moronic hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        People tend to have an ongoing relationship with many professionals. How often have I been going to that doctor? How often have I been made to wait? Would I keep going back to anyone who always kept me waiting for an appointment? Not unless I had some very strong reason for doing so. When I've been given a window by my cable company and they have missed the window I have called and complained and they have given me a statement credit. I've had regular servers who have had "off" days and I gave them the same tip I always do when I would not have for someone I had not have had before, but the regular has earned that leeway, just like the lawyer, doctor, dentist or accountant or any other professional who I have been seeing for years.

I have a obligation to pay for the meal that I ordered even if it turns out that I don't really like it. A tip is optional and is given as additional compensation for services rendered.
        Yes, so?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          Ahhhh, name calling. Brilliant. "We all expect it of you?" Really?
          Who's "we all?" Such comprehensive childishness.
          Name calling? You might want to re-read that post.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Changing the subject, here's some really good news. Those Barney Fifes in Texas have relented and the Orthodox Jewish boys at a Houston academy will be able to play in their state championship semi-finals after all. 'Course it took a judge to make Barney and friends do the right thing. How ironic is it that an organization dedicated to the needs of private and parochial schools would initially reject rescheduling Beren's game?

http://www.chron.com/sports/highscho...al-3374028.php
            Last edited by Old Pio; 03-02-2012, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
              Let me ask all of you people who feel a moral imperative to stiff a working class person for failing to provide the level of service you think you're entitled to: what do you do when your doctor makes you wait 45 minutes because "we're running late today?" Do you refuse to pay for the office visit? Demand a free visit in the future? Get a new doctor? Complain? What? I'm guessing nothing. The distinction, of course, is that you have the power to stiff the working class person by withholding your gratuity, accompanied by harrumphing about how you hope "she gets the message" and improves her service, especially to you. In the case of the doctor, you don't have the power or the stones.
              My vet was running late once, to the point where I was going to miss a lab meeting that I had to be at, so I told the front desk lady, she apologized, and rescheduled me for the next day. Came in again and he was running late again, again I didn't have the time to wait an extra hour/hour and a half, so I told the front desk lady again that I had to leave. She asked again if I could rescheduled, I said no. The vet called me personally about 2 hours later, apologizing, said that sometimes they get backlogged if an emergency comes in. I told him that I understood why they were running behind, but when someone comes in for an appointment and the staff already knows they're running an hour behind or more, that the staff could call the person ahead to let them know that there's a delay so they can either come in at a later time that day or reschedule. He agreed and said he'd implement that with his staff. Then he told me that he'd look at my cat during his lunch break the next day and comped the visit for me. They also put a note on my file so the last 3 or 4 times I've gone in, I get seen almost immediately, even if they're running behind.

So I guess I would do something if there appeared to be a systemic problem that could be easily fixed. But I wouldn't be an angry raving dickhole, because that's just stupid. Why would someone continually go to a doctor or someplace else if they're habitually late or giving bad service?
              Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                My vet was running late once, to the point where I was going to miss a lab meeting that I had to be at, so I told the front desk lady, she apologized, and rescheduled me for the next day. Came in again and he was running late again, again I didn't have the time to wait an extra hour/hour and a half, so I told the front desk lady again that I had to leave. She asked again if I could rescheduled, I said no. The vet called me personally about 2 hours later, apologizing, said that sometimes they get backlogged if an emergency comes in. I told him that I understood why they were running behind, but when someone comes in for an appointment and the staff already knows they're running an hour behind or more, that the staff could call the person ahead to let them know that there's a delay so they can either come in at a later time that day or reschedule. He agreed and said he'd implement that with his staff. Then he told me that he'd look at my cat during his lunch break the next day and comped the visit for me. They also put a note on my file so the last 3 or 4 times I've gone in, I get seen almost immediately, even if they're running behind.

So I guess I would do something if there appeared to be a systemic problem that could be easily fixed. But I wouldn't be an angry raving dickhole, because that's just stupid. Why would someone continually go to a doctor or someplace else if they're habitually late or giving bad service?

I agree. Sounds like you and your vet worked out those occasional snafus to your mutual satisfaction. And high marks for speaking up. When I moved from Houston to Omaha I left behind a really terrific vet who had taken very good care of my dogs. In fact, once I got to Omaha, he called a couple of times to ask how the dogs were doing, offering advice on steps I should take to help them get used to cold weather. A huge guy, who played football at Texas A & M. A few months later he and his wife were killed flying their plane to their ranch in the hill country. I miss him. And it sounds like your vet is a keeper, too.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I always say, "You can never trust a man that shoves his hand up a cow's *** for a living".
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

By comparison, this guy makes Jerry Sandusky look good.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/02...g-adopted-son/

Comment

Houston's Beren Academy won its semi-final game and will be in the 2A championship tomorrow night.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...te-title-game/

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I always say, "You can never trust a man that shoves his hand up a cow's *** for a living".
                        What about those that do it for fun?
                        Old Monster Records

Comment

What about those that do it for fun?
                          The best course is to try to herd them towards Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Beren Academy loses the state championship game 46-42. All they wanted was a chance and they had to go to court to get it. BTW, Beren has 35 boys enrolled. A pretty good run.

Comment

Portland hospital sued for delivering baby with Down Syndrome.
                              This is the future of our entitlement society. It really creeps me out.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                Portland hospital sued for delivering baby with Down Syndrome.
                                This is the future of our entitlement society. It really creeps me out.
                                ..............get me off this planet. Now.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X