X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 2011

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    When we are at a table for 70 minutes and we don't even get asked once for refills and we literally had our bills thrown at us with a "HERE!", yeah, she had it coming. We weren't obnoxious. We weren't doing anything out of the ordinary.

I normally do 20% and round up. This was the single worst server I have ever had. She didn't even deserve a tip. Like Brent said, no tip wouldn't send a message.
    It's up to you, of course, but if it were me, I'd stop bragging about being such a jerk. Bad service? How about not going back to the restaurant? Problem solved. But then you won't have your heroic annecdote to impress the kids, right?
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      It's up to you, of course, but if it were me, I'd stop bragging about being such a jerk. Bad service? How about not going back to the restaurant? Problem solved. But then you won't have your heroic annecdote to impress the kids, right?
      I don't think he's bragging about it, it is just an experience that he had that is extremely relevant to the conversation that we were already involved in.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I don't think he's bragging about it, it is just an experience that he had that is extremely relevant to the conversation that we were already involved in.
        Again, we disagree. But complaining to management or refusing to go back doesn't have the sizzle of "showing that b*tch" does it? Maybe I've been fortunate or am just so stupid I don't realize what bad service is, but it's never crossed my mind to stiff a wait person as a way of sending her a message. Never. As a consequence, I'm apparantly deprived of spiffy annecdotes. Even so, stiffing a waitperson, to me, is bullying and not very mature.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Again, we disagree. But complaining to management or refusing to go back doesn't have the sizzle of "showing that b*tch" does it? Maybe I've been fortunate or am just so stupid I don't realize what bad service is, but it's never crossed my mind to stiff a wait person as a way of sending her a message. Never. As a consequence, I'm apparantly deprived of spiffy annecdotes. Even so, stiffing a waitperson, to me, is bullying and not very mature.
          No one is entitled to a tip. That being said, I think we all agree that it would take bad service to leave a small/no tip. And who's looking for "sizzle?" dx wanted to send a message that the server was not up to snuff. A small tip sent that message. Hopefully she got the message, and she improved at her job. Yes, mentioning it to the manager in addition to the small tip is also an option. But why reward a bad server with a "normal" tip, and only complain to mgmt? Server might get reprimanded, but hey, she still got a decent tip.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Why should he stop going to a restaurant just because of one bad server expedience? In MN where the servers are paid at the minimum wage of $7.25, I have no problem giving a really low tip (under $1) for truly bad service. In other states where the servers only make $3 (or so) I may (and have) cut the tip up to 50% of what I would otherwise have tipped as a result of bad service. If a server chooses to ignore me (as opposed to being swamped during a rush) I fail to see why I shouldn't let that influence what I tip. I don't see any reason I should have to reward a server for gossiping over actually doing his or her job.
            Last edited by Almington; 03-01-2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              No one is entitled to a tip. That being said, I think we all agree that it would take bad service to leave a small/no tip. And who's looking for "sizzle?" dx wanted to send a message that the server was not up to snuff. A small tip sent that message. Hopefully she got the message, and she improved at her job. Yes, mentioning it to the manager in addition to the small tip is also an option. But why reward a bad server with a "normal" tip, and only complain to mgmt? Server might get reprimanded, but hey, she still got a decent tip.
              I realize I'm an amateur debating a professional here, but I respectfully disagree. Besides, you're begging the question that a habitually bad server is going to "get the message." I'm not convinced of that at all. Hopefully you and the rest of the "stiffers" don't make a practice of this practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                Why should he stop going to a restaurant just because of one bad server expedience? In MN where the servers are paid at the minimum wage of $7.25, I have no problem giving a really low tip (under $1) for truly bad service. In other states where the servers only make $3 (or so) I may (and have) cut the tip up to 50% of what I would otherwise have tipped as a result of bad service. If a server chooses to ignore me (as opposed to being swamped during a rush) I fail to see why I shouldn't let that influence what I tip. I don't see any reason I should have to reward a server for gossiping over actually doing his or her job.
                Up to you. I disagree. You guys who advocate stiffing wait staff "when they really deserve it," give off the faint whiff of intolerance and Barney Fifism, IMO. As I just said to Brent, I hope you don't make a practice of this practice.

Comment

Up to you. I disagree. You guys who advocate stiffing wait staff "when they really deserve it," give off the faint whiff of intolerance and Barney Fifism, IMO. As I just said to Brent, I hope you don't make a practice of this practice.
                  Why should I tolerate poor service or REWARD bad service with a tip? It happens once every few years, far from a common or regular occurrence. It's not like I'm expecting bad service when I go out, most of the time the service is completely acceptable given how busy the place is, on rare occasions it isn't and that is reflected in the tip (much of the time it is more a question of if I round up or down to the nearest dollar (for example: do I leave $29, $30, or $31 on the $25.54 bill). I don't think any of us are advocating leaving a 1% or even 5% tip as a matter of general practice.

Comment

FWIW........ While in high school and during the summers I worked at a resort. That summer I was a waiter. One evening I waited on a family, table of twelve. This family is well known and very very wealthy. They were very demanding. In fact, they took their sweet time and spent nearly three hours in the dining room. I busted my butt and IMHO provided exceptional service. From start to finish their dining experience had no issues. Their bill was hundreds of dollars. I was expecting a decent tip. Instead I was left a bunch of pocket change. Frustrated, I grabbed the change and started yelling "sir, sir". The customer stopped and turned towards me. I approached the customer and mentioned for the entire restaurant to hear "here sir I think you forgot your bus fare."

Needless to say my career as a waiter ended that evening. However, after numerous issues with that family the owner of the resort asked that family to never return to his resort.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                      FWIW........ While in high school and during the summers I worked at a resort. That summer I was a waiter. One evening I waited on a family, table of twelve. This family is well known and very very wealthy. They were very demanding. In fact, they took their sweet time and spent nearly three hours in the dining room. I busted my butt and IMHO provided exceptional service. From start to finish their dining experience had no issues. Their bill was hundreds of dollars. I was expecting a decent tip. Instead I was left a bunch of pocket change. Frustrated, I grabbed the change and started yelling "sir, sir". The customer stopped and turned towards me. I approached the customer and mentioned for the entire restaurant to hear "here sir I think you forgot your bus fare."

Needless to say my career as a waiter ended that evening. However, after numerous issues with that family the owner of the resort asked that family to never return to his resort.
                      So you fall into the "Waiter screwed over on a tip by a complete *******" category.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

But at least now you have some spiffy anecdotes about bullying people on a message board about their tipping practices, so you have that going for you...

There really, truly is such a thing as horrible service. Just as a generous tip sends a message of appreciation, a low tip sends a message of dissatisfaction. Now, if a particular person is habitually tipping 5%, what are the odds that he just happens to get crappy service *all* the time vs. the odds that he's just a jerk looking for any possible excuse? Pretty clear to me.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Question: What do people tip in a buffet setting, where the waiter/waitress really only brings you a drink and the check and just leaves you alone to stuff yourself the rest of the time? I always feel like I tip too much in those situations.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Question: What do people tip in a buffet setting, where the waiter/waitress really only brings you a drink and the check and just leaves you alone to stuff yourself the rest of the time? I always feel like I tip too much in those situations.
                            The only time I've gone to buffets, I've paid before eating, so I never tipped. Never thought about it, I guess.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Here's a question I'm not sure about.

I go to a Chinese place and get something for pickup (not like a lunch special, an actual meal for pickup.) Do I need to tip?
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

A good take on tipping. Very NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHi8P85augw
                                Twitter: DanMountSports
                                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                                X